1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Mt.Stirling.XC ski trip.August 23rd 2019. The summit & Bluff spur trail.Sunny with good snow cover.

Discussion in 'National Parks' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Hi. Your correspondent in the field went up to Mt. Stirling on Friday 23/8/19 . Also present for the mission as a day trip from Melbourne was the redoubtable T.P. .
    The snow cover was complete from TBJ to the top .We set off at around 10am up towards the Bluff spur hut. T.P. was having issues with climbing/skiing up the route on my skinny Fischer Pattern Based BC XC skis. The surface was firm and slick in the morning with patches of ice but it softened as the day progressed.
    I put on my Black Diamond kicker skins after a while and climbed up like demon to the snack/rest point at the Alpine Warning sign on the Bluff Spur Trail .These kicker skins are the best !. AMAZING!!
    T.P. was struggling a bit with the ascent being only his fourth time on XC skis in recent times. I offered him a chance to ski on my Madhshus Epoch skis equipped with kicker skins. He responded well to that but my own herringboning up some steep bends was not going so well and I eventually requested that my skis with skins be returned to me.
    We took lunch at the Bluff Spur hut area in bright sunshine. The whole of the Vic. Alps were on display cloaked in snow. It was spectacular. T.P. elected to simply walk up to the summit but I skinned up and subsequently skinned back to the Bluff Spur Hut.
    The summit was very icy .
    We both skied back down to TBJ without any mishaps, although I did fall over once but I landed on my left buttockial brake before deciding to just buckle up, cast aside any trepidation and just ski the terrain with some confidence.
    The surface had softened after lunch so that it was a tad slow and slushy : Early Spring skiing conditions really.
    The marvellous views from the summit , bright sunshine and the fun challenge of skiing back down to TBJ , plus the excellent performance of my kicker skins made the day a huge success.

I will post some photos very soon.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    neilmny, Seth and skifree like this.
  2. skifree

skifree Sake? Thats like water but better, yes? Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Once you’ve tasted skin you won’t go back.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

TBJ to the Bluff Spur Hut with a snack/rest stop at the Alpine Warning sign No.34 on the Bluff Spur Trail. The conditions were the best in terms of weather and visibility that I have been fortunate enough to experience, out of three trips to Mt. Stirling this XC ski season. 1.3 metres of snow were indicated on the Bluff Spur Hut area snow gauge. Skiing on the upper trails had better quality snow cover with some evidence of skidoo grooming.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The summit mission.
    On the descent back to TBJ It would seem that I took no photos. I was busy gliding,turning and snow ploughing down the hill on skis.
    :).
    A couple of photos were taken by T.P. who also measured the trip as being 12. 5 something kms in total on his hand held whatchamacallit.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mt.Buffalo , Mt. Cobbler, Mt .Feathertop, Mt. Bogong, The BHP , and the range from Mt. Koonika all the way to The Bluff and Mt. McDonald and further afield to Mt. Skene were all clearly visible from the summit. :)

#5 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Next season , Insha'Allah, we will ski out to Howqua Gap hut , skin up the Howqua Gap track and ski down the Bluff Spur Trail. It will be a true mission to remember :) .

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

More photos from a great day out on skis/skins.

neilmny, Sean Sunley and CarveMan like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Photos by T.P. 23/8/19

skifree, neilmny and Sean Sunley like this.
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

More photos from T. P .

Sean Sunley, neilmny and skifree like this.