1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt.Torbreck.27.7.16

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Mt. Torbreck
    Trip report.
    My friend and I went to Mt. Torbreck(1516 M ) today and went to the top.
    On the way we stopped in Narbethong at Mystic mountains ski hire and hired some snow shoes and poles for my friend and some wheel chains and I bought a map ( just in case).
    It was raining along the way but it was cold enough for that to be snow above 1400 M so off we went.
    The road out there along Snob’s Creek road is good for 2 WD. It has been cleared of fallen timber too. We left the car at the bottom of the junction with Conn’s gap rd. and walked the rest of the way up to Barnewall plains road where the gate is locked to 4 WD vehicles in white season. That road has many fallen logs on it which will be cleared in November.
    The snow started to appear on the ground half way up Conn’s Gap road. I don’t know who Conn was but he may have been a Greek bushwalker or mountaineer , or maybe not.
    Further up I took off a layer of clothing and put on flexible microspikes/ crampons because it was icy and slippery going up the winding hill jeep road.
    I had two sets of MSR snow shoes strapped to my pack.
    Once we reached the picnic table area at Barnewall plains we started the true ascent of Mt Torbreck. The track notice says it is 2.1 kms one way and it's very steep and has obstacles along the way.
    A little way further along we both put on the snow shoes.
    It became very steep quite soon just as the Snow gums began to appear.
    I was kicking steps with the snow shoes , using the heel lift and actually was using the ice axe blade on the self-arrest pole while ascending crab like on all fours on some very steep sections which were at least 40 cms deep in deep soft wet snow.
    This sort thing continued as I followed the orange arrows on the snow gum trees until at summit plateau I ran out of orange arrows. It was snowing up there and it was very cold with everything covered in ice and festooned with snow, I could not see much and the summit cairn was not located on this trip. It could have been any of the huge rocks covered in snow.
    Since this was the first time I had been there I decided to turn back only to find my walking companion still plodding up the mountain. We had a thermos of hot tea. She found my snow shoe extension which had snapped off and subsequently also found my orange pack cover.
    After my friend went on to see if she could find the summit marker we descended. This was verging on semi technical mountaineering. One had to go backwards like a crab, kicking steps, down some slippery chutes that were easier to deal with climbing up . I had the whippet out and was using the blade to brake and get purchase in the snow and ice so I could stay in control on the steep descent.
    My friend opted to toboggan without the toboggan on her derriere , often out of control after she had started to slide :-0
    It was very beautiful , very cold indeed, snowing and wild up there at the 1500 M area and we didn’t see anybody else on the mountain. Mt Torbreck doesn’t cost anything to visit and is way more adventurous than going to Lake mountain .It is about two and half hours from Melbourne and is a winter day trip adventure that I will certainly do again next year , armed with a real ice axe. In fact we will go back in green season to find the summit cairn and maybe even visit the plane crash site when there is more daylight later in the year.
    It is interesting that this site was once planned to become a downhill skiing resort. It is steep enough for the creation of some black diamond ski runs, it is higher up than Lake Mountain is in terms of elevation and the Chalet etc. would have been easy to build on Barnewall plains at the foot of the final ascent to the top. Moreover it is one hour closer to Melbourne than Mt Buller or Mt Baw Baw are.
    Local towns such as Eildon would have done well out of it too.
    It is good that such a thing never took place because it is a tranquil and wild place in winter that only adventurous , fit people on two legs can reach.
    Mt. Torbreck rocks!

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I remember when Torbreck was gazetted as the next alpine resort but have never actually been there. Can you take dogs there? must make an effort to get there this year!

3. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nice report....need pics!

I was up there last month and before any snow was on the ground. Driving in from the Big River rd gets you closer, the locked gate is only a km or so down from the Plains.

The cairn is right at the opposite end of the summit 'ridge' and requires walking around, over and between lots of big rocks. Great view on a clear day

4. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Dogs are allowed...they need to be fit and agile for the climb.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I will locate the summit cairn this green season and will definitely do it all again next white season. I use a film camera so be patient about the photos. They will come, eventually , insh`Allah.

6. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Next time Mister Tee, your friend will get the MSR Evo Ascent snowshoes, as opposed to the basic MSR Evos. Unfortunately, all of them were currently out on a week's hire for a large group out the back of Buller somewhere.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

We will be sure to book a pair of the top shelf snow shoes at your fine establishment for the same trip next winter. It is more my kind of thing than Lake Mtn . is , although the route into Lake Mtn via Keppel's hut has much merit.

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Pics or didn't happen.

9. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

skifree and Ziggy like this.
  10. VSG

Click on image for much larger.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My Friend took some digital photos. Pictures by Ms. Carola Nilsson. No relation to the late Harry Nilsson :). We put on the snow shoes and put the flexible crampons away just as we hit the snow gums.

#12 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

16. DJM

DJM One of Us

Nice work!
    :thumbs:

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It happened alright. I am now a huge fan of the place.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

20. VSG

Nice. Thanks.

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I might head up there again next month. The place has voodoo properties.

skifree likes this.