Mt Wellington cable car. Opposed? In favour? Help!

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Ramshead, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Ramshead

Ramshead Dedicated Member

Hello all. I'm keen to have a chat to anyone opposed to the proposed Kunanyi/Mt Wellington cable car in Hobart for a story I'm writing for the Huffington Post Australia website, for which I work.

Got loads of material from the pro-side, so I'm covered off there. But I'd especially like to interview someone who thinks it's a terrible idea. You don't have to a member of a group opposed to it. Just a concerned citizen and preferably a Hobartian. If that's you, then I'd love a PM with a number. My name's Anthony Sharwood BTW.

I'd also be interested to hear all comments either way -- pro or anti -- in this thread, so this thing can turn into a genuine discussion of its merits or otherwise. Apols if there's already a thread for this. I looked but found nothing. Apols also mods if this is posted in the wrong spot. Apols to everyone (!) especially to LA LA Land for the Oscars stuff-up.

Out.

Oh here's the blurb BTW http://mtwellingtoncablecar.com/masterplan-1

:emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway::emoji_aerial_tramway:

2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

That second leg would be a tad breezy you'd think...

3. Ramshead

Yeah the 2.1km span. Spectac view but, um, yeah

4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Dedicated Member

Needs funicular

5. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

The view can be pretty optional as well...unless you are a cloud officionado

6. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Ask over at the climbing website www.chockstone.org there was an opposition thread a while ago as the proposal will impact climbing on the Organ Pipes at Mt Wellington,
    Good luck.

sbm likes this.
  7. Ramshead

thx Tele-W

8. BlueHue

BlueHue Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Mountain biking: if they build top quality trails top to bottom it will be unmatched in Australia for gravity fed riding with ~1200m vert to play with. There appear to be some mtn bike trails marked on one of the maps but little other information.

9. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

Looks great. Can't imagine it will ever happen.

10. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage

With a brewery at the bottom....

climberman likes this.
  11. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It would be an amazing ride on a clear day, especially near the top. I am imagining glass bottom gondolas like they have on the peak to peak at Whistler. However, personally I would prefer to leave Mt Wellington as is.

Majikthise likes this.
  12. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It has echos of the Queenstown gondola in the sense they are kind of building it because it's there, not because of some exceptional reason but because it will draw more tourists

13. VSG

VSG Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

A la Thredbo River to Charlottes... ;)

Majikthise likes this.
  14. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Please don't quote me, check out the chockstone thread though.

My first ever bike ride as an adult was up that mountain, no-one told me it was a 1200m climb so it was also close to being my last. On the way down I blew straight past the corner that the Cascade brewer is situated on, rolled straight up to the door to the bar, threw the bike down and had the best pint of my life.

The climbers (and bushwalkers I wouldn't doubt) are very against the gondola, with the main reason given is it ruins the wilderness character of the mountain.

For the climbers, I suspect a reason *behind* that reason is that a lot of the popular rock climbs will instantly have a peanut gallery watching from above, and the Organ Pipe cliffs will go from being a lovely private eyrie above Hobart, to a bit of a circus. It's a nerve-wracking sport enough as it is without a large public audience watching and heckling (one reason that a lot of the Katoomba rock climbs around Scenic World and Echo Point etc aren't really done regularly, with Sublime Pt and Narrowneck being far more popular)

The bushwalkers I reckon are just straight up against any development. They complain about historic tracks being rerouted around heinous swamps to go over drier land (the swamp was so *character building*! Look at this hardcore photo of me from 1895 thigh deep in black muck, now no-one will have to suffer properly like that to walk in a national park!). Though, given the history of what "progress" meant in Tasmanian wilderness, it's not an unreasonable position.

15. Ramshead

Good points @sbm

For the record, the story I wrote is here. Pretty bland piece. I didn't go hard one way or the other. Just spoke to people on both sides of the debate, including the developer, and put a few of their views out there for an audience who mostly would have been unfamiliar with the issue.

Story clicked pretty well though, which is an indication that people probably feel strongly one way or the other. Cheers.

Tanuki and tele-whippet like this.
  16. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

You need to do a story on the governments prmise to extend the ski tube to Thredbo and charlottes pass complete with artistic representation of what it expected to look like

:out:

17. BlueHue

BlueHue Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Jindabyne>Bullocks>Thredbo>Top of Thredbo, linking to Perisher line at Bullocks. Open it all year with EPIC and 365 passes providing access, allowing for top of Thredbo to Jindabyne mtn biking in summer and so that Jindabyne apartments can be marketed as 'walking distance to the ski lifts' ;)

While we're at it make the tunnel multi purpose, whack a pipe or two in it and build a new dam in upper Thredbo River catchment for pumped hydro, making Thredbo a lakeside village at the same time. Bugger it, keep going to Charlottes, another dam, another lakeside ski village and more pumped hydro!

cold wombat likes this.
  18. Ramshead

You guys aren't thinking big enough. We need a Very Fast Train from Central Station in Sydney STRAIGHT TO BULLOCKS/THREDBO/PERISHER. You know it makes sense. With catering by the Lebanese place that used to be on the top of the hill out of Cooma.

benchives likes this.
  19. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Give this man a deadline stat. He's spinning out.

Ramshead likes this.
  20. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

the development at the top looks worse than the actual cable car.

I've only been up there once, by motorbike. It was a lovely summer day down below, but very windy up top. I don't know how typical that is. If it is typical, I can see why they might want a big place at the top, but seriously, what would people do there? the proposed building is an eyesore. who wants to eat in a cavernous cafe? They really would need to create something indoor at the top that is a worthwhile attraction in itself, or keep it to a smaller, more discreet building and assume that most people would not want to spend much time at the top before descending

21. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

You're thinking of Rosie's. She moved into town. She's on Massy St next to the entrance to the Wollies note.

#21 Telemark Phat, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  22. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Did she used to be in Albion Park Rail?

23. Ramshead

Wait, WHAT???????? REALLYYYYYYY????? This is very good news. She can expect much business from me this year.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  24. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

Auto correct got it wrong. I've corrected the post to Massy St. In Cooma.

25. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

Her van just pulled up outside. 6452 4512

26. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Didnt she start in town, then move out there? I think it was one of my early Leb food experiences, with the old xc crowd.

27. Telemark Phat

Season Pass Gold

Before my time.

28. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Had lunch there just last week. mmmmmmmm

Ramshead likes this.