1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mtb friendly Accommodation Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Slide Sideways, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Looking at Accommodation for the week after Easter.

So far just looking on booking.com with a budget of around < $200 a night self contained.

Not been to Thredbo before, looking for something not too far to lift for Mtb.

If I could get some recommendations from frequent visitors
    TIA

2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure on accom, but the mtb doesnt often manage to make it until the end of April. IMO they will do everything they can to make Easter though. But as soon as we start getting proper frosts, the track doesnt dry out anymore, so one rain or snow event kills it. The weather so far makes it look possible to make it to the official closing of 1 May, but I wouldnt put money on it.

Slide Sideways likes this.
  3. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I have stayed at Candlelight Lodge with bikes before.
    Nice folks, security lockup for bikes, food and accom nice.
    Would do again :)

Slide Sideways and zac150 like this.
  4. silva

silva One of Us

Just about everywhere in Thredbo is bike friendly. Look for somewhere that includes parking otherwise you have to park in the public car parks which can be a fair distance from your accommodation.
    Thredbo Alpine Apartments are a good option and close to the lifts. Not fancy but the location can not be beat. You can book them through the Thredbo website. If you also need to purchase lift passes it is worth booking through Thredbo direct as they have a 3 for 2 deal.
    This deal is for the week you are after: 2A3C nights $196 per night
    https://www.thredbo.com.au/packages/school-holidays-family-5-night-special/

Or this deal includes accommodation and mountain bike lift passes from $89 per person per night
    https://www.thredbo.com.au/packages/3-for-2-mountain-bike-package/

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Is it just you and @Sadie going? Be careful of loft apartments. We stayed in a lovely riverside one but it was more ladder than stairs to get to the bedroom.

We also stayed at Little Nanook which had under cover parking. It was a large studio apartment for a couple, beautifully fitted out and in a great location. If @Sadie is going along it would be a great place to chill out while you are off on the bike. @telecrag knows a bit about the Nanook group of apartments :)

Slide Sideways and Sadie like this.
  6. climberman

But not everywhere has onsite internal locked and lockable bike storage :)

Quite a few places don’t like / allow bikes inside.

Hardly anywhere has parking but once unloaded you shouldn’t need the car much if at all.

7. silva

silva One of Us

That's why I recommend Thredbo Alpine Apartments - bikes fine inside or on the balcony and there is on site parking. Winner.
    We have stayed in several places at Thredbo ranging from up market apartments to lodge accommodation and have always had the bikes inside except at Lotsky apartments where the bikes were locked up on the balcony. I always take a tarp and a couple of extra towels to protect the flooring and walls if there is no dedicated bike storage area which a lot of the lodges have.
    If you decide on Riverside Apartments look at the photos carefully and pick an apartment with proper stairs (many of them have been renovated to have a proper staircase) if you are concerned about the very steep stairs/ladder to the loft.

Slide Sideways and climberman like this.
  8. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

All of the Riverside cabins on the upside of the central path have a laundry room at the bottom, perfect for bike storage.

9. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Boali is worth checking. Bike storage plus parking.

Price includes full catering which is superb quality and changes the value proposition considerably.

Also just a very nice modern club lodge style of joint. Common room is superb.

10. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Calling @zac150 :rolleyes:

11. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmm not 100% correct, infact far from it.

Sure the alpine apartments have parking and an awesome location :D infact they are possibly the best location in Thredbo ;)

But on a serious note be careful with bikes in apartments, even if on balconies. The fine print in most of these places says no bikes Inside (includes balconies) so if you cause damage you will be charged repair costs.

We have had so much damage as have many of the other apartments that their is a bit of pushback at the moment to protect the apartments.

That said their are plans to put bike racks in the ski rooms to make accommodating bikes their easier. The only issue is most people don’t want to leave expensive bikes in a ski locker so we are trying to work out how this could be managed.

12. zac150

Sorry @silva i should have acknowledged you take precaution measures to protect apartments which is awesome.

@DidSurfNowSki has seen first hand damage at our place from bikes, chipped tiles and the new carpet marked.

Worst I have seen was massive grease stains as someone obviously rebuilt something on the carpet.

I my point is have a backup plan if bikes inside are a no go.

FWIW at the alpine apertments we lock ours under the stairs as you walk in from the car park.

13. telecrag

More and more places will cater, remember, even though there has been mtb in Thredbo since Noah was a lad, its only been the last 5 years that it has taken off more.

Slide Sideways and zac150 like this.
  14. silva

silva One of Us

We always ask first and always put down tarps etc. Have stayed in several apartments at Thredbo Alpine Apartments booked through central reservations and have always been told that bikes are ok inside. If everyone took proper care and respected peoples properties it would never be a problem. Its not the bikes being taken inside which is the problem - its the disrespectful behaviour of the people doing the damage - if it isn't bikes its people clomping around inside in ski boots, partying a bit hard and spilling their red wine everywhere and don't get me started on smoking cigarettes and other substances inside and stinking up the place.

15. telecrag

Respect, such a simple thing, it starts with self respect IMO. Shame so many dont seem to have any these days, although they are a minority really, they impact everyone.

Slide Sideways and currawong like this.
  16. climberman

Yeah
    But
    It’ll be ok
    Here hold my beer
    Oh

zac150 likes this.
  17. telecrag

Maybe the problem is too many 23 year olds making too much money? When I was 23, no one owned a new hilux (or any new car), or could afford a season pass.

zac150 and currawong like this.
  18. climberman

I think only curmudgeonly oldies like us think a generally improved quality of life is a bad thing LOL

Plus, we are so old they look 23 to us but are actually 31.

telecrag likes this.
  19. telecrag

I once stayed in a lodge with a group of young 20's, all of whom were making close to $100K in high paying PS jobs, that used to take 10 years in the service to get. And people wonder why a first home buyer needs 4 beds and three bath.

They were in the first real flurry of everyone has a degree.

20. climberman

Ahh good luck to em!

21. telecrag

Some of them didnt ski, or sleep, for the whole time! If I had that kind of money at their age, I probably would have died! Happy, but dead!

22. zac150

It is always the minority that spoil it for everyone.

Central reservations will always say yes, I have pulled up out the front of our place and watched people take bikes inside even though we have a standing rule of no bikes inside.

I’d like Thredbo to create a bike consierge system, but they wont. I think when we get the bike racks in the ski lockers it will solve the problem as people can lock bikes their.

The stupid thing is the the ski lockers have a work bench to fix skis and bikes so why people did the rebuild inside is beyond me.

As for 20 year olds with cash..... our place was let to uni students by accident last year, mid winter. I could only afford a tent at uni let alone $6k+ for a week in Thredbo.

silva and currawong like this.
  23. silva

silva One of Us

I wont ask what unit just in case it was me walking my bike into your apartment. If the leasing agent says it is ok and I take every possible precaution to ensure no damage (and own up and pay for any damage if an unfortunate accident occurs whether it be bike related or not) then I have no hesitation taking my bikes inside - would never work on, clean or ride them inside though.

A lodge we stay at has retrofitted their ski storage/drying room for bikes and it works extremely well. They just attached bike hanging hooks to the wall - totally out of the way during ski season. Just have to make sure that the drying heaters are never turned on when there are bikes in there as it would cook the brakes (they pull the fuse for summer).

24. zac150

Haha there is a very good chance if you have stayed in a 3 bed no balcony it was ours.

We put the standing order in as it makes people take extra precautions ir at least think and as you say it puts people on notice, any damage and you pay.

The ski lockers is exactly what we are planning, the issue is that we can’t fit enough in too issue them equally between the units. My argument is who cares let the booking agency handle the issue.

25. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

At our lodge several decades ago it was actually the lodge manager who rebuilt a motor bike in the lounge room one summer and all the carpet had to be replaced :confused:

climberman likes this.
  26. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Anyone had any dealing with Lantern apartments or Squatters apartments?

Narrowed it down to those for the few days

27. sastrugi

Not sure who's running Squatters these days. Recommended for location.

Lantern highly recommended. You have a hill at the end of the day, you also have great service and great views.

28. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I've stayed in Squatters Run a few times in the off season. The apartments are separately owned and fitted out so they can be a bit variable although always of above average quality. They are very convenient with a great central location. They have ski rooms on the bottom level - I don't know how they work for bikes. There is usually someone sitting being bored senseless in reception.

29. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

Squatters apartments are managed by a number of different people. If you look up Squatters there are some there, Raine and Horne have some and Nanook has a number of units. Booking.com has a number of units.

30. sastrugi

Overall Squatters Owners Corporation is managed by the family that own Alpenhorn and they are the group who staff the reception and look after the whole block. Some of the apartments are owner-let as per post above.

@Slide Sideways How many people are you accommodating? If it's a group, Crackenback Castle behind Denman is a great place and bookings are run through the Lantern. Too big for just 2 or 4 though.

31. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

The Alpenhorn owners now only manage 7 of the apartments.

32. sastrugi

Yeah, they never managed all the apartments but did the OC. Is this not the case now?

Another thing to think of with the central location of Squatters is that it is the most central in the Village, and therefore can also be the most noisy. Similar to any inner city area. If you want to be in the thick of it, expect noise - especially during the night.

33. currawong

I recommended Little Nanook which is in squatters run. only for a couple but really nice.

34. Townsend

Townsend One of Us

They only manage 7 and the others, that are rented out, are managed by different organisations

35. currawong

was not noisy when we stayed one January. I suppose it just depends on the people at the time.I would have thought that you would be unlucky to find a noisy crowd the week after Easter

36. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Or a crowd of any volume.

currawong likes this.
  37. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Just 2 of us

38. Richard

There's also the bit where Ian & Jill at Lantern are arguably the best and most consistent operators in Thredbo for the last 25 years.

Sadie, sastrugi and climberman like this.
  39. Richard

see my post above.

Note: Ground floor apartments at Lantern are usually the most economic but have almost no view. Also tend to be in shade and need constant heating in cooler months.

40. sastrugi

No argument here from me :)

41. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Just back from our stay in Thredbo.
    I opted for Squatters apartments as Sadie struggles walking with steps and hilly climbs and decents, squatters was perfect.
    We arrived on Tuesday and were in the apartment earlier than expected, so a quick look around was in order. As the rain began. And boy did it rain.
    Dinner was at Denman Tuesday night , fantastic.
    Wednesday woke up with a cloudy sky, rain had stoppped, I went biking with chairlift access. First run down Kosi flow trail was bit damp, BUT awsome! 2nd and 3rd run even better then over to All mountain. What a great trail. Trails were completely dry and fast by 10am. Berms at Thredbo are brilliant, flow trails are so much fun , jumps for all riders.
    I stuck to kosi and all mountain trails for the day and loved them.
    Thursday, I could hardly move, evidence Wednesday was a fantastic day.
    Loosened up with 24km ride on the Thredbo river trail. Cold
    Friday did tourist thing and opted for a drive out to Jindy, Perisher and Charlottes pass , weather was ok, except for the 50 to 90km wind. No snow arrived as forecast, no big deal.
    Saturday woke up to blue sky and no wind, unfortunately it was 10am checkout.
    Back in Bright around 3pm and a quick session at Mystic Park mtb park. Stay at mums for a night before heading back home tomorrow.

Great relaxing week , will be back next mtb season.

Thanks for the info

42. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Silva,
    I have to strongly disagree about "just about everywhere". I think the truth is that just about every accommodation wants to take bookings from cyclists , but very few are serious about providing bike friendly facilities. In Victorian High Country there is a certification system but very few accommodation make the grade. Not sure if NSW has a Cyclist Friendly certification system.To be cyclist friendly you should look for
    * A dedicated storage where you can lock up the bikes.
    * A designated undercover place where you can do maintenance
    * A floor pump
    * Bike washing facilities
    In my opinion if the accommodation does not promise all of these it is not truly cyclist friendly and are not really catering for cyclists. None of these facilities cost a lot to provide you just have to be serious about catering for the road and mountain bike guest market.

43. currawong

falls creek provides a bike wash. I don't see the need for individual lodges to do it too. otherwise agree that serious players will provide those facilities

44. telecrag

Thredbo has a bike wash, but some lodges also have them. Bike storage is the big one.

45. zac150

The issue that most lodges are grappling with is the cost! It is not insignificant.

When I say cost, it is the cost to provide something that may or may not be used, as many bike owners are not prepared to leave their bikes in the lockable areas.

We watched one group carrying their bikes up to their rooms, the bikes weren’t great. Anyway I mentioned spots they could lock the bikes up and got a very negative response along the lines of I don’t want them flogged.

I chuckled as a) there were probably bikes in the village worth 20 times their bike value b) our bikes were worth significantly more c) people are happy to lock up $1000’s if dollars of skis but not bikes, go figure.

currawong likes this.