1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

MULHAUSER SPUR ACCESS

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Access still A ok.From Bogong Saddle on Omeo Hwy.Hey there are lots of Bogong Saddles out there.Quartz Ridge via helipad:Bogong Ck Saddle.Fainters from the north via Bogong Jack Saddle!!!!Done recent trip to C/Cole and though its a bit scrubby in places no trees are across track.Snowy Log road the 10km section of Mulhauser Access from B/Saddle is very good and all surfaces on way in are clear of most debri.Trees fall whenever they feel inclined so make sure you got good saw,wedges.axe long crow bar and a new chain to bang on the bar.Camp Mulhe looking better then most sites offered for campers in most National Parks.But bring drinking water up from creek.See Ya .Be good!!!!Also access north to helipad is clear.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Cool. Thanks Steve.

Gee mate, you do get around don't you.

3. positron

positron Hard Yards Endless Winter

Water in one of the tanks there (Camp Mulh) was fine when I rode up there from Beauty on the weekend. Thanks to whoever carted it up there!!

#303 positron, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

I am thinking UbiqSteve should share an ale with BawBawBelle... they'd have heaps to talk about. [​IMG]

#304 VSG, Feb 1, 2010
  5. Ubiquitous Steve

Water for drinking in drum near entrance to clearing:drum has tap at bottom.This was original tank at ruin.Its "clean" water with may be a little rust too!Other drums are for putting out the fire.I would encourage everybody to have big camp fires as this is helping to reduce fuel load in the surrounding area.These drums got water that i wouldnot drink but may be usefull to anybody caught up here in wildfire.Fairies must have filled these containers up!!Hope new white table has been useful for cooking too.In plastic drums is bucket so you can put out fire.Two blue plastic drums are accessible whereas metal ones only got little cap.Pleased campsite is getting visits. buy now.

6. Ziggy

Big thanks to the fairy!

Will get to CC via Mulhauser b4 I die. It's on the bucket list :-}

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Report for Labour Day Weekend:access good from Bogong Saddle via Snowy Log Road and Mulhauser Track to Camp Mulhe.Been up there last few weekends and all in order when came out last Sunday.Big River Road to Long Spur Fire Trail out to East of Mulhauser Mt.:not sure how this access is now.Buy now have good long weekends!

8. Ziggy

Cool. Ta for the update Steve.

9. Ubiquitous Steve

Easter update.Approach was clear from Bogong Saddle via Snowy Log Rd through Logging coupe at 10km mark/sigh post Mulhauser Track and hence up to the Mulhauser Camp. Not sure of Snowy Log Rd north of Big River Road . Mulhauser Spur proper the steep one needing up from near bridge is unknown.Cut back overhanging debri so you not get skewered by projecting poles.So all is good.Camp site A.OK [​IMG] [​IMG]

#309 Ubiquitous Steve, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  10. Ziggy

Great Steve. Thanks.

Do you have any sense of whether tree falls are slowing?

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes:they seem to be less frequent of [​IMG] [​IMG]late.Drought may be factor,heat stress wind,violent thunderstorms and snow loading.But i think its been less of late.At least when they fall its one less problem for winter;and there is more traffic to clear them in summer months.But your sure to come around corner and Wooh Wah.To find some monster come down.Always when your maximun tired and saw playing up or its raining heaps!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#311 Ubiquitous Steve, Mar 29, 2010
  12. sli1

sli1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Steve, do you know how that last 4wd section is looking at the moment ? Thinking of giving it a go in my old falcon this weekend. If grip is the issue I will make it. If ruts/clearnce is the issue, I won't, I'll have to walk that section.

13. Ubiquitous Steve

sli1. Yes walk it first.When you see grassy little circle;track bifurcates for 20 yds stop here.Check for any big rocks sticks and then up with momentum and keep up revs.This section was good and has been good since i been going up there.I raked some leave litter and washed soil back into ruts to smooth it out a bit.Surface has been wearing well and should be quite dry.But i would walk it check it and throw any thing out way so you can stick it in first a just go.When you get to camp dont go higher than the two 44 gallon drums as its too steep and you not get far and into serious strife.You should be ok its pretty good.

14. Ubiquitous Steve

So its nice on Snowy Log road averaging maybe 40km hour but pays to get out throw off sticks to avoid side wall injuries and was hitting upto 30km an hour on Mulhauser track in places other day.At night watch for Deer yes nearly run into a couple and met guy at bridge one day that hit one!!Take caution in dark yes. Have a good time table and chairs await your arrival plus plenty F/Wood there at moment. [​IMG] [​IMG]

#314 Ubiquitous Steve, Mar 31, 2010
  15. sli1

Walked up to Cleve Cole via Camp Mulhauser on Saturday. The camp is beautiful and when we rocked up, there was a guy cleaning up the site and of course it was Steve ! Good to meet you Steve and we had a great day up on the mountain. Yes, we made it back to Melbourne safely that night. Anyway, a lot of this thread seems to be about confusion on how to get there. I made it to 1380 meters in the old Falcon. I didn't have the clearance required for the last 200 odd meters to Camp Mulhauser.

I overlayed my GPS tracking from the Omeo Highway to Cleve Cole onto Google Earth below:

[​IMG]

#315 sli1, Apr 5, 2010
  16. Ziggy

Cool. That's access from the North yeah? You can also approach the Mul Spur from the South.

17. sli1

Yes Ziggy from the north, driving through Wodonga/Eskdale/Mitta Mitta etc. From the south has to take longer unless you live east of maybe Pakenham. Driving up the Omeo Highway all the way to southern entrance would also be hard work.

18. Ziggy

Not sure the Omeo Hway is that hard. Not fast, true. Bitumen to Glen Valley. Another 20 or so km to the turn-off onto Big R Log Rd; then 37km on the Snowy Log Rd to the Mul spur tk turn-off if Google map calcs can be believed. Stop at Blue Duck for refreshments on the way.

19. sli1

Aye, great road for a motorbike upto Glen Valley but to drive up that way, bend after bend after....I just find that it is relentless, especially at night and in the wet, its draining.

#319 sli1, Apr 6, 2010
  20. Ziggy

True. No joy under those conditions or if you're in a hurry.

I'd be wanting to do the dirt and esp any log cutting in the daytime anyway.

How long did it take you to get to CC from the camp?

21. sli1

We stopped to take some photos but when we weren't stopped we were flying. Packs only had extra clothes and food. It took 2 hours and 10 minutes. Positron has said 2.5 hours in winter but I would think this is very good going. The intial steep climb to the AAWT faces north and is unlikely to have snow - steep climbing with heavy weight on the pack. Once at the AAWT I think you could skin 90% of the way to CC assuming good snow, although there is another steep little section where skinning may not be possible.

22. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

no problems with skins, once on AAWT

23. sli1

Ta Graeme, I was thinking of a steep little pinch below 1600 meters which was a well worn trough with rocks, sticks etc. Looks like the horses have struggled for some grip. If there was plenty of snow, that stuff would be covered and you wouild be fine, if not, its only a short section, you would just carry your skis for a little way.

Graeme, winter travel from CM to CC, how long do you think it takes ?

24. Graeme

I can't really remember how long it takes - I have travelled the roads and tracks in the morning to have lunch at Camp Mul leaving plenty of time to get to CC in pm and ski next day. Last year we drove in the Granite Flat Spur because there had been heaps of wind and rain with lots of trees down

25. Ubiquitous Steve

ZIGGY. Met serious 4x4 family that came along Mulhauser Spur proper from bridge up steep 4x4 track and past helipad and onto right hand turn to Camp Mulhauser.All was easily negotiable:this chap cuts trees right off road properly leaving no obstacles like one should.He also departed heading for Big River Rd to the south via Snowy Log Rd :thus i got confidence that that approach is now clear too!!Cheers [​IMG]

#325 Ubiquitous Steve, Apr 7, 2010
  26. Ziggy

Cool.

I don't mind a bit of log clearing, but like SB in the other thread, would have to do it right by careful attention to the mechanics since I don't carry wedges either and don't carry a drag chain in the Forester. But if need be I'd leave the bar and chain stuck and unbolt the saw head!

Still, best opp to get up there will be the first week in Sept, snow gods permitting. Lots can happen between now and then.

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Partially removed a very large tree;very old rotten core.About 2 and half km. up Snowy Log Rd from bridge comming in from Nth approach.Spent whole of saturday arvo.Had to rake mud from tree off rd and rotten bits.Was trully stuffed after wards/Needed rake,5ft crow bar.big stihl and even used diesel in 4x4 to rip bits out of area with snig chains.WARNING****part of tree still protruding from upper bank its big managed to put cut about half way through it with very blunt chain as i was going home sunday.Just down hill on Snowy Log Rd are remants of big log some other kind person dispatched a few weeks ago pushed well out of way.Slow down*****On approach no warning markers out to tell you. [​IMG]

#327 Ubiquitous Steve, Apr 19, 2010
  28. Ubiquitous Steve

Rest of Mulhauser approach very good to Camp.Cheers.

29. Ziggy

Good work Steve; many thanks.

Did you go out via the Southern access by any chance?

30. Ubiquitous Steve

Not sure but fact that this tree been down for a little while may have hindered any clearing work to other end of track:sthn approach.Also note no photo shoot at this problem tree cos above your heads is a large branch about 60 foot up precariously balanced from the big old bugger that came down and imbedded its upper half in the outside of roadway.Please be careful around here nice old trees but bloody rotten on inside.Cheers Ziggy.

31. Ziggy

Thanks for the warning Steve.

Sounds like we need a good blow before winter.

I'm looking at going up early Sept so more will come down before then I guess.

32. Ziggy

Steve, how much room is there at Camp Mul? For parked vehicles & 2 man tents.

33. Graeme

maybe 10 of each, or perhaps more.

#333 Graeme, Apr 20, 2010
  34. Ziggy

Thanks Graeme.

35. sli1

There is also some other camp sites down the road. One is about 50 vertical meters (and less than 5 minutes walk) below Camp Mul and the other would be another 15-20 meters vertical meters lower and another two minutes walk.

36. Ubiquitous Steve

Sorry been busy morning.There is heaps of room some nice areas before camp mulhe that can park vehicle off track and pitch tent.Parking close to tent for extra protection of yourselves when sleeping tree got to fall out of forest and really try hard to get you nothing directly overhead at camp mulhe :near ruin there are old trees that will fall one day so i would not camp there beautiful but who knows when they fall down.

37. Ubiquitous Steve

I normally camp in area by camp fire as no overhead trees and pitch tent beside vehicle for added protection from distant falling trees.Also bridge across Mt Wills Ck good water and not so good campsite but everywhere lots firewood.If driving long distance maybe stop Lightening Ck Camp Gnd its good and spacious(safe camping) or half way between Granite Flat and Mitta there is nice wayside stop by road and close creek :concrete table.

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Donot stop on Snowy Logging Rd unless you want tree on head at night seriously except for logging coupe near Mulhauser track turnoff where new regrowth and not much to fall down on a tent.In snow season never seen anybody drive right into camp as last downhill slope and camp hold snow:but people drive good 4x4 up to last little cleared hill and stop in snow.Winch good for assault from last section of "Zig/Zag" ridge then flattens out and snow passable in 4x4

39. Ziggy

Thanks Steve.

You're a champ!

40. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Just playing with adding route to GPS....does this look about right for access to Camp Mulhauser and then rough location of walking access to AAWT?

[​IMG]

#340 GS, May 20, 2010
  41. Graeme

That looks about right at "Use this end". The 4WD track continues a bit further south though after the tracks rejoin - Camp Mul is probably half way down the green line.

42. Ziggy

Sli1 kept a GPS track log during his last trip up and was kind enough to share it with me. Will see what I can do with it tomorrow.

43. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

#343 VSG, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  44. Ziggy

Nice one.

45. spec

spec Hard Yards

Just a question for those accessing Bogong via this route, but with a standard 2wd: is it even worth considering? Not in terms of trying to muscle the car up the hill, but in terms of parking somewhere near the bottom and walking up? Or would it be too long winded and uninspiring?

46. Graeme

probably manageable if it is (and has been for a while) dry, in 2WD with decent ground clearance - but you might get stuck up there if it rained or snowed while you were away.

47. sli1

It is a 2wd unsealed rd to within 4.8km's from Camp Mul. This is the point where you leave the snowy logging road and there is plenty of room to park at this spot. In summer from this point you can get to very close to Camp MUl in a 2wd. In winter you would be able to continue beyond here but how far would depend on your attitude to your car.

Parking the car without blocking the road could be an issue as well. Positron made it in a 2wd with chains but you have some low down snow, I think you will need to walk the last part.

48. positron

positron Hard Yards Endless Winter

Turn off on Omeo Hwy
    [​IMG]

Turn off with 4.8km to Camp Mul
    [​IMG]

The track is quite easy going until the last 100m
    [​IMG]

The biggest issue is trees falling.

#348 positron, May 21, 2010
  49. spec

spec Hard Yards

Thanks for the info guys.
    Positron - did you ride most of the way up Dunstans Snowy Ck Road to the junction and turn right at approx 1000m elev?
    Steve - do you clear the Muhauser track (and drive) from bottom to top?
    I don't want to push the old Magna too hard up there but is sounds like getting to the junction at 1000m wouldn't be too bad.

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Hello spec!Yes drive road for about ten kilometers from Omeo Highway to 1000m altitude.This is good gradient for cars as it is a logging extraction road.Magna will get to Mulhauser track turnoff:it will get slippery in winter but you should get there unless there has been a very big dump of snow to low altitude.Mulhauser track in winter gets a little harder as gradient is steeper and surface not as good.Clearance not a problem on this track either.What will stop you is fallen trees and finally snow drifts.Always better to stop before you get stuck in snow and walk up!!You must have chainsaw and sharpened chain and a spare chain as back up.Axe and hand saw good, wedges crow bar .Only takes a sapling as big as your thigh to stuff a good trip.Also need fuel and oil for your saw as you may need to be using a couple tanks if things go bad!!Next G phone works from steep bit of Mulhauser track as it takes on the Longspur Ridge:so if something catastrophic happenens walk back up to higher altitude and ring cops/DSE from mobile.Cos NextG DOESNOT work on Omeo Highway till you reach Mitta Mitta.