1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

MULHAUSER SPUR ACCESS

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Havenot been to Camp Mulhe for about a month as been busy doing odd jobs on High Plains around P/Valley Cope and Ryders Hut areas.As weather has been kind up till now it is highly likely that the access has been maintained.Hope to get up there soon and usually i will spend one day clearing and one day walking out to Cleve Cole Hut.It sounds dramatic the talk of chainsaws and back up chains but trust me you need the stuff!!Otherwise you drive a long way and its soul destroying if you got to turn around and go back. [​IMG]

#351 Ubiquitous Steve, May 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the useful update Steve.

I'm wondering where mainly the trees are coming down, and whether Southern access is clear more or less often?

3. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I camped there Sunday, drove out Monday. All clear and in good condition.

4. Ziggy

Thanks.

From the north or the south on Snowy Log Rd?

5. stansi

North, both times. Sorry about that!

North both times.
    Ther's one thing for sure, it's a long way in. You've got to like driving instead of walking or skiing.

6. Ziggy

Yeah, true. But it gets you up to c. 1400m and from a more sheltered direction than other approaches in winter.

I'd suspect that most folks who wanted to base themselves for day ski tours up there wld head for Cleve Cole anyway.

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Be good if somebody lobbied DSE to see if hut could be rebuilt!!Oh to sit around fire with snow outside.Imagine a Ropers/Westons Hut construction.Yes approach to Cleve Cole be possible even in very bad weather. Stansi good man!Was monolith tree with witch hats and ribbons still partially across road:this was one i could not cut through with my 25inch bar.But cleared a good bit of it and marked it as hazard??

8. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

ooooh.. UbiqSteve. Don't start the ' should there be huts in the high country' debate.

The rugged outdoor types who post here prefer chaps, the back of station wagons and pleasant male company, it would seem. [​IMG]

I forgot chainsaws. But you get the idea. [​IMG]

#358 VSG, May 25, 2010
  9. stansi

Re Ubiquitous Steve,
    The big trees still there with hats, caution tape, and pink paint. Probably enough room to get a B-double around it though.
    There was an excurvator parked at the bridge over Wills Ck. with a lot of attachments.

10. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh goody!!Hopefully DSE machine/or Logging Contractor Machine.Must get couple cans of mixed beverages to reward such good men in forest environment.Last time they put dozer up Mulhauser track past helipad and along Mulhauser spur proper(towards bridge).Maybe they slashing side of road.I think i like their activities.Yep i had a good go at the big fallen tree but lack the ability and also bar length to deal with the monster.Be interesting to see these guys in operation.True professionals of the forest.They think some clown been there leaving warning markers and colourful tapes. etc.Thinking of getting a 30 inch bar as additional weapon and running nornal chain on the 064 Stihl.People tell me 36inch bar to big for 064.Just for some clout with monster trees. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#360 Ubiquitous Steve, May 26, 2010
  11. Ubiquitous Steve

Significant developements on Mulhauser Access!!!They have put a heavy duty concrete and steel bridge to replace the wooden one across Mt Wills Creek.Now there are road closed signs up at start of turn off near Omeo Highway and a plastic fence on both approaches to bridge.I went for walk and investigated and then drove through over new bridge.it hasnot got its sides completed:the saftey barriers.But quite safe to proceed through.The workers probably will return during the week to complete this job.So dont be put off.So i sure they let you past if you ask workers nicely.Cleared Snowy Log Rd and Mulhauser track to campsite.A little snow in campsite only about 3cms nothing that will impede progress.Was nice sunny/still there on sunday arvo sitting at little table having lunch.All up access very good track and road surfaces very good. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#361 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 14, 2010
  12. Ziggy

Onya Steve.

Can you find an excuse to check out the southern access?

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Well got up to Mulhe on Monday after big dump of snow.Bogong club members about 8 guys rocked up through snow in two 4x4s.Was walking up in Zig/Zag chainsawing fallen trees.They got up to Camp Mulhe and provided great assistance in clearing track:good to have others in area.Weather was beautiful on Monday morning but deteriorated after lunch.Heavy gales lashed area on late Monday and into evening.Much clearing to be done on return from near Mitta Mitta on Tuesday.Then again Wednesday:real epic battle to despatch much debri.Got a trip into Cleve Cole on Thursday.So take great care on Mulhe approach roads.Some obstacles to negotiate and drive under too.Need 4x4 snow not an issue at moment.Ist obstacle between Omeo Highway and Mt Wills Ck:slow down only cm of clearance!!Bridge is finished looks great even got sexy reflectors!!So access will be ok and note party from Bogong Club due out Sunday so access will continue.Take chainsaw and extra new chains as back up.Now back up too Pretty Valley hut for a casual weekend with no labouring.I so stuffed after labouring.Note rd from Tawonga to Mitta via Trappers Gap open but obstacles and dozers/graders been roading and there is very muddy section about half way through. [​IMG] [​IMG]

#363 Ubiquitous Steve, Aug 6, 2010
  14. Ziggy

Thanks for your fine efforts once more Steve.

Can I ask why you say a 4x4 is needed?

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Cos you will be wheel spinning in 2 wheel drive and though you might get well up with chains track may suffer as chains rip into it.4x4 kinder on track i think.As snow melted track a little wetter than normal and snowy log road was getting pretty slippery too.Note that 4x4" didnot need chains up there but first Bogong Club members had some serious 4x4 wheel spinning action in their Rodeo 4x4 as they gunned it up the last hill on second attempt.So gives you rough guide to conditions at moment.Was walkies half way along Longspur so snow depth still not sufficient to let nordic planks cruise along.

16. Ziggy

Thanks Steve.

I'm hoping to come up late this month in the Forester with AT tyres.

Chains, chainsaw with 2 chains, 2 stroke fuel and chain oil.

Free the what now?!

17. Ian

Ian One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Bogong Club group got out on Sunday without having to cut any logs, thanks very much to Steve...

[​IMG]

It took 4 of us to push a large boulder into the gutter on our way out.

Can HIGHLY recommend the Eskdale Pub as a staging point on the way in and out.

Please take heed of Steve's comments about 4WD, it is very easy to slip off the track, after which your skiing career will come to a very abrupt end. There are extra 'carparks' just before the steep bits where 2WD's can safely rest.

Don't use this track without taking something long to cut BIG logs on your way out, it might take Steve a while to get back in there.

[​IMG]

#367 Ian, Aug 9, 2010
  18. Ziggy

So is that Steve on the left or the right? ;-}

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Oh my god!! That kind of fallen tree would not be funny.I only in amateur class.Thanks for moving that rock because would have been easy to damage rim or worse to crash off it.Now we really need some professionals to deal with two trees over road(large trees) and a couple protruding into Snowy Log Rd.Need a 30inch bar up there anybody interested in testing they bush craft skills.Made be army could do exercise around Mt Wills area!!Eskdale Pub can recommend!Needed rum and cokes big time after thursday day trip:in fact drove all way down there just for pot beer/chips and couple take away r/c cans. [​IMG]

#369 Ubiquitous Steve, Aug 10, 2010
  20. mik

mik Hard Yards

andy kromar is a running legend

21. Ian

Ian One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

On the right with the chainsaw...

#371 Ian, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  22. VSG

Truly ubiquitous...

#372 VSG, Aug 11, 2010
  23. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Some say he runs 1:50 mix in his veins ...
    We think he's working on a replacement: Bundy OP & Coke.

24. Ziggy

[​IMG]

#374 Ziggy, Aug 12, 2010
  25. Ubiquitous Steve

Man i couldnot even carry that big two man saw.Well i have come to the conclusion that anybody spending bit of time in alps and doing some work must have alcohol.Cant see that cups of tea and coffee are sufficient.Sure can get buy for few days but after a back breaker day need something to knock out brain!!Maybe the Yeti at Edmunsons Hut(refer to recent sightings of the creature by shocked touring skiiers)is only after a little recreational drinking and if offered a overproof rum and coke would probably help in Igloo construction and wood gathering activities. [​IMG]

#375 Ubiquitous Steve, Aug 12, 2010
    Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  26. stoph

stoph First Runs

agreed, but as a non spirit drinker, it gets a bit heavy humping in beer.. but for love, anything is possible!

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Kids probably need little toy chainsaws to get them preparing for trips to Camp Mulhe!

28. from_the_glen

from_the_glen First Runs

Nine cars at the mull sheesh! You guys sure know how to do it tough. You've obviously never heard of ' the taylor track' Just as well.

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Nine cars!! f t glen. Was that you saw nine vehicles a camp mulhauser??

30. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

It was me going out on Friday counted 9 - it was the alpineSAR and SES guys and girls, other than my vehicle.

31. Ubiquitous Steve

So boys been busy with their chainsaws i hope.Good that they know way in there and the approach to C/C along Longspur.Would be difficult to get skidoo in from Mulhe and need lot of good falls to get one along first bit of L/Spur through little hills.Possible to drop skidoo in before Bossiea Hill if Pilot was good if Skidoo needed on Bogong Massive.One bald hill i can remember that would need very good pilot and some visibility.

32. sli1

sli1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Road clear at the moment ?

33. Graeme

was open last Friday, and with all the SES crew leaving it certainly should have been open thorugh Sunday at least. One big diagonal log to be squeezed under, but no problem unless your vehicle is bigger than a landcruiser.

34. Ubiquitous Steve

Pity SES not practising with chainsaws on the diagonally displayed logs over road.Somebody will be claiming discrimination when they cannot fit under this because of roof rack!!So only 3days of fallen logs so far that may have fallen.What them dudes doing up there.Hope not too many parties and drinking without me!! [​IMG]

#384 Ubiquitous Steve, Aug 17, 2010
  35. Graeme

my Pajero with ski racks fitted under. There was a troopy in the carpark too.

36. Ubiquitous Steve

As 5pm sunday.Snowy log rd clear all obstacles except couple large bits of tree with adequate room to negotiate.For 10kms in from Omeo Hwy all way up to old logging coupe at Mulhauser track turn off.Doggers where a first attack on Sat arvo and their work should be appreciated by all that follow.Has been tumultous snow dump over preceding days.I spent sat arvo and all sunday restoring status quo of Snowy Log rd.Road about 6kms in starts to get muddy patches of snow need 4x4.Drove 300metres before i got stuck up hill beside logging coupe reaching first bend to left(sth:thats up Mulhauser track from S.L Rd.Advise all that follow this next two weeks to have chains for all wheels/diff locks good too and winch too.

37. Ubiquitous Steve

Have not walked up any more than first 300ms of Mulhauser track.But heavy snow 5inches where i got stuffed.Expect lots of trees in this section hopefully they be small ones(they usually are up there)keep fingers crossed though.Make sure you got spare sharp/new chain and lots 2 stroke/bar oil.long crow bar good and all stuff you can think of.Again thanks to the two doggers i saw doing such great work in keeping road open.Good luck.Make sure you not get stuck in drift w/o winch to straighten you up.Better to stop early than get stuck higher::TAKE SPADE TAKE SPADE TOO.

38. cerberus

cerberus One of Us

DSE are supposedly clearing Mulhauser Spur Track sometime today or tomorrow as their are vehicles trapped at the carpark.

39. Ubiquitous Steve

Only last 4kms not cleared.Cos i too tired and it was after 5pm.Thats 2km up track(Mulhauser)from junction of Snowy Log Rd.to first track junction.Then its 2 more kms from here via zig/zag up to upper ridge.Usually trees falling on ridge are smaller cos been extensive previous logging and keep fingers crossed that first 2 kms has not got any of those diameter trees causing problems over range to west at Eskdale approach.Ten kms of Snowy Log rd in good shape but wet/muddy surface over upper section before Mulhe T/F.Again be nice to doggers cos they done lot of work.Share a beer with them please when you see them up around there.

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Well after the big dump and spring: access your thinking and you need report.Here we go then.....Access restored to Camp Mulhe after i spent week camping and chainsawing/clearing of Snowy Log Rd and Mulhauser Track.Weather conditions were perfect warm sunny little rain down down time.River levels remained very high all week:rotunda at Lightening Ck has flood debri around it and was some rd damage to Omeo Highway opposite wooden bridge there(minor).Vic Rds have been active laying new gravel down between Granite Flat and Lightening Ck Pic Gnd and grading and rolling it.Mulhe Camp and its access are free of all snow now.Dozer has caused minor damage to track and Mulhe Camp:minor damage!So overall access now good and free of all debri and dangerous bits of projecting sticks/poles .Snowy Log Rd has dried out considerably after week of warmth and sun.Mulhauser Track has good surface but still a bit muddy in places making 4x4 good idea.Last steep hill has good dry surface and its a breeze.Some problems dozer has fixed on its mission:giant end of fallen tree etc.All major fallen trees have been delt with to Mulhauser Standard Prescritions.:"can drive B.Double through yep"Some problem stakes inbedded in rd surface remain but they out of wheel lines:marked with tape.Couple of holes on out side of rd surface after slippage or fallen trees marked with tape also!!They are minor and pose no problems unless you are drunk.Summary;good surface,very clear and safe.Some distance markers 4km,5km and 10km from Omeo Hwy have been added. Its so cold back here posting report in Ackland St No more chainsawing for while my hands having trouble working little keys after vibrating monster in hands for a week.Sitting all day doing nothing nothing nothing.i like the idea. Oh and white table got run over by dozer but two seats are still sitting in sunlight for you!!

41. Ubiquitous Steve

All snow melted at camp.Moved bolders out of way that dozer moved into area during rescue mission.Access looking great and 2 wheel drive into final steep pinch now the go.No more major additions of biomass to Snowy Log Rd!And its a real motorway at moment!!Please take chainsaws up cos some people still playing Russian Roulette with no chance of getting out if those monsters hit the deck!!Remember water in drums is for fire fighting so dont drink it.Tables a problem at moment so kerbside rubbish is under scrutiny till i see another one.Chairs still waiting for next visitors though..

42. Ubiquitous Steve

New table installed.$5 from OP shop.DSE have been working along Snowy Log Rd and have removed all big logs above road and below plus a few problem rocks gone to.All A-ok from Omeo Highway at Bogong Saddle:hey its "Bogong" again!Watch out for the Deer as their nos are increasing it would seem.Looks like boys cruising south along Snowy Log Rd towards Big River Rd.But havent been out there so far.Will get chance soon to cut through to helipad soon as to provide alternative strategies should wildfire errupt in summer.Any 4x4 clubs that want to try/clear Mulhauser spur proper from bridge should be encouraged:expect numerous trees down out there cos doubt if anybody been there for 6months or so.

43. Ubiquitous Steve

Road officially closed.Signs on track by Parks just in from Oneo Highway.Unoffically road good to camp Mulhe.No slips obstacles etc.Track to ford at Lightening Ck Picnic Gnd would be impassable.So unoffically take note of official signage and proceed with utmost caution on these tracks cos things do fall and heavy rain is the new fad bringing risk of slips rock fall and washouts.If you got no big chain saw then you are bloody idiot to coin TAC Commercial.May force go with you!!! Camp A OK looks pristine& walking track above good too to Summit.

44. Ziggy

Thanks Steve.

Does that mean it's closed from the south end too, do you know?

45. Ubiquitous Steve

Ziggy hi. there is a road closed sign in middle of road adjacent to Mulhauser Track turn off.Now dozer has recently(last few weeks)been in from Nth end and i presume he was heading up to Big River Rd going sth.This area has some big gullies across Snowy Log Rd and potential for wash outs i think.But truley i not been along here to south.In actual fact Snowy Log Rd holing up better than Mt B to Falls Ck Rd. At least we had no slips needing earth movers to remove.But potential there on a few overhanging higher banks.Vego holding it all together it seems!!

46. VSG

Yes.

#396 VSG, Dec 18, 2010
  47. Ziggy

This is an old offer. I collected $20 but didn't get a reply from US via PM.

48. Ubiquitous Steve

Xmas/New Year update.

Snowy Log Rd in from Nth good.
    Mulhauser track good.

Mulhauser 2wd north to helipad now open.Been playing with that stihl and got a few big ones off track. One took about 3hours,as much time necessary to get other fallen debri and branches out of way leaving just the big barrel.Turned it into wagon wheels!!

Nice to have access to helipad.Good to have track options open.
    Note:-it would be possible to land copter down there if emergency arose; not any where else close by i can think of.

49. Ubiquitous Steve

Aust Day update.

For those lucky enough to have time off around this time.

Snowy Log Rd remains good from Omeo HWY to Mulhe turn off:thats the ten kms or so from the North(Bogong Saddle).

Mulhe track is good through to camp(branching to the left) and also clear( branching to right) along to Helipad.Beyond the Mulhe Spur proper going Nth and down to Mt Wills Ck is unknown??

Table still ok,chairs now 3.!!
    H20 available about 1km from Mulhe turn off in last gulley crossed on Snowy Log Rd.

Been checking that helipad connection patent before leaving each time.And events at Mt Wills make this seem a good idea!!Helipad is ok for landing i think if things get a little difficult so to speak!!

50. Ubiquitous Steve

Nthn access remains good.
    Got a chance to check foot track.Amazing got chance for bush walk even!
    Bit vegetation growing over foot track that might be delt with shortly:and couple of blackberries to be despatched.No major obstacles on way up.

Note*** letting litter and logs accumulate on first steep section to deter 4x4 from trying mission impossible and to reduce soil erosion on this steep foot track.

But flatter naturally drained sections will get a go over when time permits with wipper snipper:old one blown up!!

Catch 22:good cover reduces soil erosion but gets you very wet after rain plowing through overgrown sections.

Rainfall has been huge over last few months compared to previous years.Mt Wills Ck in minor flood again.Its level has been consistently high for months now.

Warning floodway after crossing major creek on Omeo Highway near Walnuts Picnic Gnd. and just prior to last farm property(Harkaway) is badly damaged. Must have been some run off!!

Concrete drainage structures are showing but quite safe to proceed over them.Slow down at night******** Little slips here and there but all is good.

Snowy Log Rd A ok. Been trying to chop some blackberries on Mulhauser track with garden sheers:fortunately blackberries seem to encroach only about 15% of route.Must get new brushcutter soon.All major obstacles and dangerous projecting poles have been removed!!

Access ok in 2WD till last steep incline(leave cars at botton) with only little wheel spinning but ok for adventurous folk:though watch for sticks on surface.