1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

MULHAUSER SPUR ACCESS

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've got myself a good stihl brushcutter now steve. Was thinking of hitting the stoney tops walking track prior to winter with chainy and brushcutter to clear the track of fallen timber and slash the undergrowth so that it may be possible to skin up from the end of the road.

Anyone know where you can purchase a backpack with chain saw compartment?

2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Stonney Tops nice place:love camping up on helipad.
    Just bring water and pile firewood its so good up there.
    Goodluck with project.Sometimes carry saw if not to big in pack by dismantling bar.Watch out for right wing greenies cos they dont want anything anywhere.
    Use old pack as fuel oil will leak.Carry to top work down.Leave saw in plastic bag and then return next day with fuel/oil and work down some more.

All little trees snowgums above helipad from memory so little bar ok probably.But you have seen big trees on 4x4 track and up to barrier.
    Suggest supply of rum/coke advantage after day you will be stuffed.

Proceed with caution as not all walkers park users are friendly.

3. Ubiquitous Steve

Wish somebody would free up Black Possum track.Looks like about one and half kms from Jeep Track to ridge line.

Been thinking of this project.
    Long way to bring in saw and up up up steepo!!

4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Steve. You are unique, and seemingly ubiquitous. Ease of access to the high country snows seems to be a universal wish.

5. VSG

Perhaps you should head to the U.S, US and give them a hand clearing this track.

http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/mwsacbee.htm

#405 VSG, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  6. VSG

A map of part of the area... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#406 VSG, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  7. Ubiquitous Steve

Sounds interesting.
    But was having enough problems in little climb up Mighty MT Mulhe!

Was humidity!!

Need some excuse!!

8. Ubiquitous Steve

And pity army lost its track around Watsons Crags.

Goat track would be a formidible project for young,strenous and foolhardy perhaps!!!

Only way in now is illegal troll expedition through tunnel unless you crashing in from above.

Done Sentinel down ridge to near little dam near Opera House.Man i must been crazy in younger days!

9. Ubiquitous Steve

More news from Mulhe.

A special scrub cutter has been deployed and has cut all scrub on sides of Snowy Log Rd.

A catipillar machine on rubber tyres with long articulated cutter:has 3&half foot disc!!
    With giant teeth!!
    Would expect that the debri will be pushed out road shortly with dozer/grader.
    Looks like Snowy Log Rd done all way to Big River Rd to Sth.

I drove 8.3 km sth of Mulhauser track Junction(thats 10.5km from Omeo Highway to Nth)
    So i drove 18.8KM roughly to>>>>>>> A big problem.Massive slip has closed Snowy Log Rd from Sth
    Its ganna take mighty effort to fix this one.

So access from Bogong Saddle on Omeo Highway to Camp Mulhe ok and set to get better as road upgrade proceeds
    I expect that there getting ready to log a coupe some where near slippage area.
    Road closed sign up for traffic at Mulhe track turnoff.UHF channel 40 is channel for vehicles.
    At moment be careful during week with machines in area.

Shot out to helipad and road is good and now free of obstacles.

This clearing works will be of great value for travellers in winter as snow will not bring little trees across road.And i expect that road will end up looking better than city link:a value of hardwood logging in this area. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#409 Ubiquitous Steve, Feb 28, 2011
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the update Steve.

Pity about the blockage at the South access.

New UHFs are coming with 80 channels but I spose the old customary assignments will stick. Shame that the power limit remains at 5 watts though.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

I am not up with communications but do take care if in area during week wish i could take photos of machine in action:its quite a sight to see the work that the operator has done already.
    So a little debri on road at moment so i would watch tyres and maybe go slower.
    But would expect that end result will be a quality road shortly.Lots of water still comming down all gulleys intersecting road.I really need GPS so i can provide better report.Went for walkies for about a km sth of slip but saw no other sign of logging men/machines.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Labour Day LongWeekend looms and Mulhe approach clear as of 5pm Sunday 6th March.

Battled with monster at 5.5km mark on sat. for couple hours and managed to open up path through
    a large fallen giant.

The giant brush cutter seems to have gone as contractor signs have been removed and lopping done on both sides of
    Snowy Log Road.Debri still there and i would expect doser/grader will move in shortly
    to complete clean up.Rd still closed at about 18.8km mark due to slippage(signs still up at
    Mulhe turn off)

So approach on Snowy Log Rd from Nth(Bogong Saddle on Omeo Highway) is clear slight debri on road)

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Well finally did Mulhe to Ropers hut and return in day trip.T Spur is well cleared top to bottom.First(climb out of Big River) part of Duane
    has couple logs to scramble over/under but rest is well cut.Track markers are not numerous on upper part of T Spur as it approaches Long Spur Junction.Left about 7.30am with play lunch and got to Ropers just before 1pm.Short break
    then down and a long struggle back up to Longspur.Saw many folk at Big River on initial crossing:two going up Duane and major group going towards Cleve Cole Hut.Very tired when staggered into Camp Mulhe just before dark!!!Rum/Coke tasted so good!!

Three vehicles at Mulhe when arrived sat.arvo:members of working party for Cleve Cole.Past most of then on Sunday
    morning as i cruised along Long Spur to T.Spur Junction.

Cannot recommend this as day trip as i am stuffed now but was pretty unfit before hand.New table delivered to
    Camp Mulhe too.

Note sections of Longspur are getting seriously overgrown with scrub.Ok during daylight hours but would be difficult at night with head torch.Suggest deployment of brush cutter.No major logs obstructing Longspur track between Mt Mulhauser and T Spur Junction.

14. rprznt

rprznt First Runs

Nice work Steve, so many hours you've put in to Mulhauser access. Cheers Daniel.

PS i left that note on your windscreen on sunday. thanks fot the rum!!!! [​IMG]

#414 rprznt, Mar 28, 2011
  15. Ubiquitous Steve

Good rp/t.

Was so tired when staggered back to saddle but only one R/C can and i was off my face...head spinning as i disembarked around 7.30pm.

Hoping to give foot track a touch up with wippersnipper soon but leaving first jeep/tracky bit (thats steep) untouched so less degradation of track surface.

Will stock little wood shelter near fire also so its easier to get decent fire going quickly with dry wood.
    Camp Mulhe looks good at moment and little trees are growing fast on fringe of campsite:i think all the rain has really caused vegetation to put spurt of growth on.Hey maybe i leave some rum/coke in wood shelter for "emergency use".Not sure what type winter will unfold.Last one with dozer rescues was interesting.For what its worth people should park in top little clearing before saddle :100yds uphill. Cos low lying saddle does get heavy snow and uphill is impossible battle to get out.Cheers Daniel!! Also i hear whisper that Longspur east of Mt Mulhauser to Big River Rd will get some clearing from a local member soon as it is also important access route. [​IMG]

#415 Ubiquitous Steve, Mar 29, 2011
  16. sli1

sli1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Steve,
    How is access looking at the moment. Did the scrub from CM get cleared ?

17. Ubiquitous Steve

Last visit i did in Easter period.
    Removed a little scrub from Long Spur just near Mulhauser Spur Walking Track along uphill slope before National Park Boundary.

Havenot had chance to whipper snipper whole walking track from Camp to Longspur yet.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes well!!

Been busy on Highplains for last month or so.

State of access unknown now so unfortunately cannot give you a report prior to QB Weekend.
    Can anybody help out with accurate report on fallen trees etc.??

But happy to say Pretty Valley Hut,Cope Saddle Hut and Cope Hut have good suppies of firewood.Been engaged in other more important work which will become apparent to the adventurous this snow season.

Got an old fire screen out to Ryders Huts.Wood supply out there was pretty poor and was hoping to remedy that
    but with snow forecast for this week it may not happen.

19. andyR

andyR First Runs

How's Weston's looking Steve?

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Havenot been down there since hut completion.
    But should be place to be today.If i was there with weather expected in next 72 hours i would just stay by new wood stove and read books.

Hopefully recent travellers have been active in getting firewood under shelter for fire.

aR.note little hatchet was left in wood box at Cope Saddle Hut the previous weekend.

Also note Westons should have a jaffle-iron as i instructed some walkers i saw in P/V Hut to take it over as they returned to Hotham some weeks back.Also hand saws spare blades and wood splitter(little one) should be over there too!!

21. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Just bumping this thread. Thinking ahead to winter....

One of our group has a tricked up 4WD, very capable off-roader. Plus another person wants to join us, who also has a very capable 4WD. Both owners are also v. experienced 4WD'ers. (Need to see if either has a chainsaw)

Given we have these vehicles at our disposal, would a Mulhauser Spur access to Cleve Cole hut make the most sense - due to the least vertical m required on approach, and also not having to go 'up & over' in potentially poor weather?

Even given the further driving distance?

22. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

The Big River Log rd gets you even closer, but I suspect an even longer drive. Mulhauser is an easy 4WD access except for the possibility of fallen trees of all sizes. We did Mulhauser for the first time last year and whilst there's less vertical, there sure is lots of horizontal. So lots of walking with heavy packs as there was no snow. But with all the regrowth and fallen timber I'm not sure if it would be skiable the whole way even with snow.

Eskdale Sp is short and steep, if it's pear shaped on top Michell Hut is there, and once up it's an easy slide across and down to CCH. Mulhauser is pretty much up the whole way.

So probably depends on group fitness and snow/weather conditions rather than availability of 4WDs and chainsaws as both routes need the latter, IMO

CarveMan likes this.
  23. CarveMan

Need to figure out the ultimate preferred ratio of vertical / horizontal metres!

Actually I think we can answer that given we've gone out the Razorback to Fed Hut twice now instead of slogging up the Bungalow!

24. Ziggy

Mul spur access from memory is 6-7 km walking/skiing and around 600 m vertical. There are two steepish pinches.

Regrowth and patchy snow cover on the walking track can slow you down quite a bit.

25. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Access to Mulhauser camp was good last May.
    Easy drive up the Snowy Log Road.

Steve has left us some nav aids.
    [​IMG]

My Sube Liberty at Mulhauser camp. A decent snow dump would stop me on the last half km.
    [​IMG]

BTW, don't forget the chaps ...
    [​IMG]

26. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Re the last photo. You could'ave at least used the one with the Magna in the background.

27. Ubiquitous Steve

Have not been there for a while cos I been working hard at Camp Stoneytops but will get up there soon maybe Labour Day or Anzac Day Weekend..and sort any issues out....yep good to see that little road sign still on the hairpin bend.

Anybody using Mulhauser approach to come in to CC from Longspur is best to due recce well before winter.
    Fallen trees and branches are the big issues for winter...
    make sure u have chainsaw/spare chain and axe and wedges..never used to use plastic wedges but they are essential sometimes in getting pressure off chainsaw bar..5foot crowbar excellent idea too, and rake to get tyre damaging fragments off the road.If you have winch then anchor points are everywhere but couple snatch blocks and extra wire rope and flat tape are a good idea.
    Don't park in Mulhauser Camp in middle winter as much snow can make exit impossible as it builds up in saddle best to dump gear and park further down hill(somewhere after last steep hill..then forcing downhill thro snow is still possible..

#427 Ubiquitous Steve, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    CarveMan likes this.
  28. CarveMan

Caught up with my mate yesterday (the one with the 4WD) and we're keen to do an Autumn recce weekend.

29. Ziggy

Nav is dead easy CarveMan. Steve's signage will get you to Mul camp via the northern leg of Snowy Log Rd and from there it's just up Long Spur. Whether an autumn clean-up of logs will last til winter I'm not sure..

CarveMan likes this.
  30. Ubiquitous Steve

Any travellers that see problematic fallen trees/rocks/slips etc make sure to contact DSE Mitta Mitta ASAP cos those guys pretty good if you ask them nicely but they do need time to organize ...so if major logs/dangerous logs are on/above road and it cannot be delt with by any in this forum call DSE and see what they can organize...

31. Ubiquitous Steve

and in winter tell DSE of your trip details and if a blizzard ensues for a week and trees/snow cause grief then walk up hill above Camp Mulhauser and you will have Next G phone reception with Telstra...and stay put till DSE sends up team with D4..now this is unlikely but others have been stuck at Camp Creek Gap (Eskdale Spur Approach) and also Trapped at Mulhauser in Saddle..this is not likely but having DSE contact phone no. is a good idea.

CarveMan likes this.
  32. Ubiquitous Steve

In winter with snow on the ground and trees/branches down on the last couple kilometres of track sometimes it pays to walk ahead with chainsaw clearing and then to drive thro to a flattish section where traction is no issue from standing start..once on last ridge section it is flat so its easier until the last 200meter steep section and again walk it in snow so you can keep up revs as you drive thro in snow...
    There are areas (several little clearings) below the Camp that will be checked for debri/fallen trees so that alternate carparks/pullover areas are available...