Question Mushroom Rocks / Mt Erica

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Thomas WHiteside, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Hard Yards

Hey all,

Planning a day ski tour this Saturday to Mushroom Rocks and Mt Erica.

Plan would be to drive to Erica to hire skis, then on to Mt Erica car park.

Then head off to Mushroom Rocks (1.5km) and Mt Erica (4km).

1. Is there adequate snow cover right now for this trip to work?

2. What's the road access like to Mt Erica car park?

I've skied at Mt St Gwinear many times, but never done this trip before.

Would love some advice.

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

From the gwinear report i would say yes the cover is good (70cm). the erica road up is quite steep but ok for 2wd (without snow), although i expect its not cleared, so take yer chains and yer shovel and expect maybe to walk a bit further.

3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us

Went there after this trip: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/the-only-ski-field-in-aus-where-snowboarding-is-banned.82261/
    But decided the distances from the carpark were too much for me after slogging at Mt St G...
    Don't know, but I'd say time it for when snow is forecast to low levels, e.g. 800m
    Fine but unsealed, road subject to 4wd bogans and the odd ditch/tyre trench. I ascended in a 2wd (fwd) for said trip and made it to Mt Erica carpark sans-chains.

4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

From Mt Erica car park you will be hiking most of the way to Mushroom rocks and slightly beyond IMO. Be prepared to carry skis. Track is narrow with occasional obstacles like steps, rocks, branches etc so skiing likely not continuous. That said, with vg cover it might be a smoother trip. Beyond the rocks the track is much more skiable with skins or pattern based skis but mostly climbing. The 500 m or so leading up to the summit/plateau area is steepish and narrow, so difficult skiing but a fire in the old hut fireplace might reward your effort. Easier skiing from there along the AWT to the rock shelter at MSG junction. Good luck and hope it goes well.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

As others have said, the gravel road is fine for 2WD and has always been in fairly good condition when I've been there.

But the hike from the carpark up to Mushroom Rocks can be slightly overgrown on occasions, so it might be a little awkward with skis on your pack. From Mushroom Rocks (and the nearby Rover ski hut and No Bloody Women Hut), the track heads straight up the hill, which can be a little draining for people unused to carrying a full pack. In the 1930s the Rovers and (what later became) Mt Baw Baw Ski Club cleared a ski run in this section, but it has entirely returned to nature, so don't expect to do any graceful downhill skiing there. Once you're up on the plateau conditions are a little scrubbier than they are at Baw Baw or St Gwin, so finding a good touring route beyond the walking track may not be easy.

That said, have a go, 80 years ago this area was Gippsland's premier skiing venue and I'll be interested to see what skiing is like there these days.

6. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

The top part from Erica summit to Baw Baw path was cut back substantially 2 years back by ParksVIC.

Bogong likes this.
  7. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Hard Yards

We ended up at Lake Mountain as some beginner friends decided to join us. We'll make it to Mt Erica eventually though!

skifree likes this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I went up Mt. Erica in August 2017 in heavy snow in snow shoes. It is a muddy hike up to Mushroom rocks . After that I was pushing through bushes and branches that were covered in snow and ice. The "track" in fog and snow up to the Mt. Erica summit sign is not 100 % obvious. I just looked for cut branches and other signs of ancient track maintenance in the snow .
    Once on the plateau it was fine for snow shoe trekking and looked good for skiing too.
    It is a big slog to attain the plateau for some pleasant chook foot XC skiing.
    Mt. St. G. is much better in terms of more skiing and less slogging it up the hill with skis strapped to a pack.
    I would be more inclined to car camp near Walhalla or Erica somewhere and make an early start for Mt. St. G. .I think in the right ski conditions with reasonable weather you could make it from MSG to Mt. Erica and back in a day.
    Having skied at MSG this week I am keen to ski some more of the Baw Baw plateau next season and tour the area on planks.
    I am using the VICMAPS Walhalla map , albeit colour photocopied ,enlarged and laminated for better detail , readability and durability.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass - Silver

I think a car shuttle with one car left at the Mt. Erica Car park and commencing skiing at MSG would be very good. You could , in the right conditions ski over to Mt. Erica along the AAWT and not have to ski back to MSG.You 'd probably have to walk down the slope back to Mushroom rocks and the Mt. Erica car park and post holing in ski boots would happen with enough snow cover. Doing this route starting at Mt. Erica car park and finishing at MSG car park could be better.
    You 'd need an early start in August because getting to Mt. Erica in deep snow from the Mt. Erica car park is time consuming.

11. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mister Tee, I'm not sure if this is available in winter, but...

Baw Baw RMB has a 11 seater van (with driver) that is available for hire (at least in summer) for about $100. I used to run package hiking tours in the Baw Baw - Walhalla area and hiring the van enabled us to run a day walk from Baw Baw village to the Mt Erica car park, with the hikers using the van to return to our hotel on Baw Baw.

12. teletubby

teletubby Hard Yards

I years past, I have skiied early morning from Mt St Gwinear carpark over to Mt Baw Baw village and ridden the lifts until the end of the day, skiing back to St Gwinear arriving at the car in darkness. These days, the drive to a resort is my "adventure" and closer to my fitness/energy levels!