1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

My experience at Buller 24/06/2007

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by 1080 Fox Bait, Jun 26, 2007.

1. 1080 Fox Bait

1080 Fox Bait First Runs

Went up for a day trip from Melbourne on Sunday and it was not the best experience overall. I'll start with the positives:

Wambat and LBS were great fun, full cover all the way to the mid station and top quality groomed snow. Summit had some nice snow up high but got a bit icey lower but still very skiable. Lifties were pleasant all round.

Not so good stuff:

$30 entry, just adds to an expensive day. (parking attendents were much more pleasant than previous years though)

$92 tickets for that sort of cover,please! there was only very patchy off piste.

$12 for the worst bowl of nachos ever at kofflers, I didn't think you could make nachos flavourless, same goes for the lasagne.

Got clocked by the ski patrol for speeding and they said 'I know you were well in control and not near anyone, but it gives others with less skill the idea that they can go fast through here, so please slow down'. WHAT THE!

My god are those lifts slow.

Snowboarders. I felt like we warped back 10 years and boarders were rude, incompetent, idiots. I was glad I chose the skis that day as I would hate to be lumped in with that lot.

The drive home, seriously 50km/h in a 100 zone just because it's dark an a little foggy, there is something to be said for a two lane freeway.

There were a few more things to mention but I thought I'd give it a couple of days to calm down and I've forgotten them now so they were obviously not important.

2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Buller = 1m base.

3. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Everything you have mentioned is very true, but has been talked about on here many times before.

Prices for gate entry, and lift passes are well listed on the website

Food on mountain in always $$

4. Planks & Sticks

Planks & Sticks One of Us

That happened to me as well! Why do they feel that they must go 50-60km/h just because it is slight mist?

What I find irritating is that people who continue to drive on the right hand side of the over taking lane forcing you to pass on the right. [​IMG]

~-~-~-~

But my experience on the mountain was more positive than you though, the crowd numbers was low enough for me to have fun and not having to wait more than 2 minutes at the base of a lift.

#4 Planks & Sticks, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

What part of the highway were they going 50 ?

There are sections where I will go 60 instead of 100 due to the high number of Kangaroos!

This is mainly around Kinglake/Whittlesea and then around Merrijig.

That being said I will pull over and let people pass if anyone catches up to me!

6. 1080 Fox Bait

1080 Fox Bait First Runs

North of Yea and not a clue there were 30 or so cars behind them, the culprits were in three different cars and yes they sped up to 110km/h in the overtaking bits.

#6 1080 Fox Bait, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  7. nats12

nats12 First Runs

I had my first trip to Buller on Sunday for 5 years. We've been at Hotham every year and with season passes and so on Buller was off the list.

Having given up the season passes Buller was an option close to home and I have to say Sunday was a great day at Buller. Considering it's June the terrain available was enough to keep you happy for a day, and the cold temperatures with sun shining meant the snow stayed great all day.

The only downside - the Abom at lunch. I won't go back there again! $9.50 for a hot dog even if you don't want the chips, and cadbury chocolate bars that were out of date in July 2005!!! when I told the girl on the counter they're way out of date and do they have any current bars she just said she's just the cashier. Rude service, yuck food that wasn't cooked properly. Never again at the abom for any type of food.

other than that, Buller, well done. the lift pass was over the top for the terrain, but hey, i bet you're making up for last years downside.

8. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yep I agree that the food/service at lunch at most places at Buller leaves alot to be desired.

I refuse to eat at the ABOM but the +1 likes it there as they have nicer bathrooms and are warm when compared to Kofflers.

I much prefer Kofflers as the service/food is always great. I don't mind paying $25 for Lasagna, Hot Choccy with schnaps and a apple pie, as the service is always nice and the deck is great on a sunny day.

But I don't like their bathrooms, lack of heating inside and the dripping from the roof on a cold/wet/snowy day

Without making this into a Buller vs Overseas thread again, so far the best experiences for lunch have been at Mammoth Mountain and Vail. Yes $$$ but heaps of options and a great atmosphere. Fresh fruit, sandwhiches, pizza, burgers, hot roasts, hot potatoes etc

9. igor

igor Hard Yards

we seem to have had the same experience fox.
    i had my ticked scribbled on by ski patrol for riding too fast. and that idiot that drove below 80 i think it was a Mitsubishi (lancer or magna not sure??) had about 50 cars behind him. once i caught up to him i slowed down right next to him and let the horn rip.
    not because he wasn’t driving fast. i get that some people are not comfortable driving faster at night/fog. but for not stopping and letting all those cars by.