1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed My first alpine touring skis

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by RARRRRRRR, Aug 5, 2019.

1. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Hi
    Just after some thoughts on ski & binding choice

62kg 171cm
    New skiier but very fit
    Skis mostly for Tas backcountry + a NZ trip once a year

Ive narrowed skis down to;
    Dynastar Vertical Deer - 160 or 167
    Movement Vertex 84 - 161

Bindings;
    ATK Trofeo AT
    Marker Alpinist 9 AT
    Dynafit TLT Speed Turn 2.0 AT

My gut says go with the 160 Vertical Deer + Trofeo bindings

Anyone want to chime in?

2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’d think on the bindings the choice might be guided by available parts and support? That would suggest to me Dynafit 1, Marker 2, but I’m sure all will work

3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Skis are very personal.... depends on your intended purpose. Your knees deserve a better binding though. Dynafit ST Rotation or Fritschi Tecton, however, given your light weight, your choice may be limited to how low you can set the DIN.

4. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

If you’re light having tech. bindings rather than frame bindings will make a difference to the weight of the skis and that will have a direct impact on the distance you can go - shaving 500g off bindings means you lift far less.

skifree and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  5. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

You're very much in the 'speed-touring' / ski mountaineering class of weights there. Which is cool as long as you know what you're after. You won't be skiing too fast, hitting airs or cruising through tricky/variable snow. You will be lapping folks on spring days and enjoying how far/long a light rig can take you.

Vertex is a good ski (marred only by some reports of breakages, but mostly with fatties). I've got a pair of Movements, and they ski really well for the weight. I've got no info on the Dynastar. Unless you're beholden to those skis, maybe also consider the Atomic Backland UL85. I've got a pair and love em - perfect spring skimo ski. Salomon X-Alp is great too if you don't mind something a bit narrower. Voile Objective has good reviews.

ATK bindings are in a different class - amazing build quality. You won't need customer support because they just don't break. Trofeo looks good, but for a bit more weight you could be on a Raider / Free Raider with better downhill performance. I've got Trab and Dynafit stuff laying around that I don't use anymore just coz they ski less great on the way down. ATK FreeRaider 14 feels about my minimum unless I'm on race skis.

Which boots you rolling with?

6. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd say the light stuff will ski well when its worth skiing downhill. If its not skiing well then probably not going to be that enjoyable skiing on any rig. For example the hard packed icy rubbish around at present skis shit on any ski. SOft spring corn skis well on any ski. Fresh snow skis well on any ski. Its the in between stuff that is probably easier to deal with on a heavier setup - but breakable crust is not really enjoyable on any ski - so on these days i'd rather go sight seeing on light gear.

piolet, climberman and skifree like this.
  7. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

I ordered a pair of Scarpa Maestrales
    (Haven't arrived yet so hoping they fit)

I had a look for backlands but couldnt find my size/width at a comparable price
    Vertex + Deer are $450ish from TP

Team Weasel likes this.
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you have a high instep, the Maestrales may strangle your feet. My feet are much happier now in Atomic Backland boots.

9. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

ATK for the bindings, works of art.

I was on the ATKTekemarks today as it happens.

10. rols

rols Addicted

If you are very fit but are still improving your skiing skills, you're probably not going to notice an extra 300g of ski - go with something wider that skis easier in the variable snow that is most likely in Tas.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Light is Right.

Chaeron and Fozzie Bear like this.
  12. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

Interesting ski choices, obviously dictated by price from TP.

ATK are a great binding but nothing wrong with Dynafit for that matter. Steer clear of the Marker.

You're looking more at uphill than downhill performance with the ski and binding set up so why go for the Maestrale's for the boot option. Awesome boot, absolute cracker but too much boot for that ski binding set up. I wouldn't be looking for anything too challenging or opening them up speed wise on the way down with that set up. It's more your classic long day touring set up than a climb to ski set up.

What is your intended use? Do you want strong downhill or is the downhill just for slow cruising and the uphill is your focus?

13. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Ski/binding setup I figure realistically I will be spending more time walking/climbing so lets say a 70/30 climbing/downhill split

Bootwise I thought maestrale was 50/50 so a pretty safe choice
    Tassie conditions = Mostly spring slush, rocks and trees so in my uneducated view i thought 160ish + mid 80s width was the way to go?

I did a bit of reading on the marker and crossed them off
    I am pretty sold on the trofeo plus
    Got a couple of opinions on the vertex now and it seems like the better option for me

I could go wider but its hard to tell without having skied much

My current quiver = snowboard + snow shoes
    lightweight xc setup
    $200 downhill setup

TP setup comes at $960
    I couldnt really find anything that compares price wise around 160cm (and I wanna buy asap so i can get out there this winter)

14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

With that intended use, I would reconsider the boot choice.

It’s an all time classic, a true legend boot but it’s a stout touring boot built with downhill performance in mind. I’d be looking at a lighter weight option.

skifree and Chaeron like this.
  16. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

skifree likes this.
  17. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Whats my logic like on length/width?

Ubac like above smallest size is 170
    I am short and light so it might be too long?

18. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

The ski knows your weight but not your height. A fat ski with sidecut and rocker can turn.

Ski your height not an issue, and the weight of a pack adds 10kg. Too short and you will lose glide.

Chaeron likes this.
  19. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Are you worried about weight or length? Depending on your ability the ski length would most likely be ok (mine are taller than me) but admittedly a bc ski you can sometimes ski a bit shorter to save a tiny bit of weight. But these are pretty light as it is!

20. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

And pegasus makes a great point about pack weight, hadnt thought of that

21. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Im gonna say length but that is based on what ive read about ski length and my experience on my xc skis (that feel really long)

Keep in mind I know nothing

22. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Just re reading the thread, can see maybe you're not a super experienced skier. 170 maybe a smidge long? Maybe? But once you got to an intermediate level could be ok. Have you skiied downhill much? At all?

23. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Basically no downhill skiing experience
    Most people probably go alpine first but they would also have access to chair lifts :p

In the last 12 months I have about 1 week on xc skis

24. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

Hmmmm, I'm a bit out of my depth advice wise here. Given your intended frequency of use and lack of experience, may take a while to build those ski skills up. A smidge shorter may be better. Maybe. I'd get some intense resort time in too to build your skill base up a bit, if you can.

25. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Im just gonna pull the trigger on the vertex trofeo combo

I should be able to get uphill fairly quick and atleast then figure out if I want burlier skis, lighter boots etc

26. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

Traditionally, many people would ski longer skis as they got better.
    Current downhill skis are sized shorter it seems - fatter with more sidecut.

For touring, many would ski skis their height - 175-185cm.

If you have little experience of downhill you probably need to get out there anyhow.
    I started on downhill and distinctly recall thinking that it was not that easy the first hour.

27. DPS Driver

DPS Driver A Local

170 might be a bit hard to handle for you straight up. 160-165 would be a better starting point. The width is fine at around the 84. Again a good starting point.
    I looked at the TP site and noticed boots like the Dynafit TLT7 and the La Sportive Racetron. These are the type of boots I would be looking at re your intended use. Unless you're looking to increase your downhill and concentrate more on that once you've progressed. If so then the Maestrale is great.
    Pull the trigger.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  28. pegasusSki

pegasusSki One of Us

How did you go? Still feel 170 will allow you to grow into them and won't be a disaster if you take some lessons and it easy. I am a shortarse too, and started with a ski my height as a complete beginner. I did try a shorter ski - downhill hire - surely not even 150cm or something and it felt bizarre.

In really steep, or rather, narrow, terrain if I think about it too much my current ski sized taller than me can psych me out - momentarily, or if I am tired: but surely the rockers help too.. I am also mounted too far back, but won't bother fixing until I replace the bindings.

29. RARRRRRRR

RARRRRRRR Hard Yards

Ordered the 161s

Im back in Tassie full time as of today so ill be able to get a few days in before they arrive

I think you guys are right about being able to ski 170s eventually but snow cover is not very reliable here so I think shorter is safe in the short term

Worst case I take a loss on resale in a month/year (although secondhand prices look like I could sell for almost what I paid)

skifree and Chaeron like this.