1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report My Selwyn Review - if interested

Discussion in 'Selwyn' started by Tarynbear, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Tarynbear

Tarynbear First Runs

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on our Selwyn trip!

Firstly, we stayed at the Snowy Mountains Motel. I found the manger there to be very friendly and accommodating. We book a High Country Deluxe room which consisted of a queen size bed and two single beds.

The room was clean and spacious, the central heating was good and kept the room nice and warm. there is a little bar fridge, so we picked up some drinks and snacks at Woolies in Cooma on the way through, which kept the kids happy.

There is an onsite restraunt which unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try, but the menu looked nice, with a good variety, even kids meals. My 2 kids aged 2 and 6 loved the variety of toys, books and board games in the games room, which came in very handy when mum wanted her afternoon nap after her first timer lessons turned her legs to Jelly.

The first evening meal we had was at the Pub. Good quality food and good prices. I tried the Porterhouse steak and salad which was really nice. We were greeted by the owner of the pub in the dinning area and she couln't have been more welcoming.

Thanks Snowgoose for a great feed and atmosphere. The next night we tried the bowlo (DJ's Fat Cow) and again, just good quality standard pub food. The schnitzel was great. Once the meal was served with chips, you were able to help yourself to the vege salad and sauce bar. Our last night we grabbed some good old fashion country burgers from the takeaway. Yum!

Lastly on the dinning, we chose to sit in the bakery for breakfast on our day of departure and I would highly recommend this. A good foundation for the drive home. Great coffee and awesome breakfast, very happy and friendly staff. My 2 yo gives the big thumbs up the the "bubbachinno".

Selwyn snowfields, for a family of four would recommed hiring a "family locker". We were able to fit 3 sets of skis in it overnight so we didn't have to carry or pack them back into the car. Was also a good spot to keep my wife's handbag whilst we were skiing. There are ski cages but the content can be seen even though they are locked up with a padlock, where as the family locker was enclosed. My Tips as said a previous forum for lunch if there are school groups in, order cooked food (Like burgers ect) and go upstairs into the bar area to sit.

Lessons are a must if your a first timer. My wife had never skied before put the skis on about 20 minutes before the lesson and tried to have a go! Needless to say she nearly jammed a ski right in my.........just trying to get them on. Luckily the instructor called her name and I was off the hook. Anyway, with two 1.5 hr lesson she was skiing and using the lifts and t-bar, as was my six year old daughter who was also a first timer. they are both hooked thanks to Selwyn ski school, you guys are champions! I wish i was able to get my 2 yo into the care facility just for the mere fact of playing with kids her own age. The groups were full, so pre book this as there is only so much snow play to keep a little one occupied. I was hard. The kids in the groups of her age looked like they were having a ball!

Finally, thanks to the 55cm dump on Sunday 01 Aug, there was plenty of snow and all runs were open. The wombat triple chair is an absolute winner and the staff were friendly and helpful at all lifts. Well done Selwyn, we will be back.

2. SelwynSnowfields

SelwynSnowfields First Runs

Great review Taryn! Couldn't agree more with everything you have said. Looking forward to seeing you and your family back at Selwyn and Adaminaby in 2011.

3. crama

crama One of Us

Good to see. Selwyn is a great little resort.

4. Ramshead

Ramshead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

i had a great time there saturday. queues, or lack of at most times, were awesome, Blinkin. WIll post some video links here in a couple of days. took complete video of runs down long arm and k ridge!

5. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Yep..you got to love short lift lines and no crowds at Selwyn!

We will be there on Saturday...hope the snow forecast for this weeks pays up!

6. Ramshead

Hey Silverwitch, you might remember we spoke last year about my trip to Selwyn (I was seeing advice on Boboyan Rd from Canberra). Anyway, that was my daughter's first day. She's since had a week at Thredbo and has really come along in a year.

Anyway, here's a vid of her skiing Kangaroo Ridge run @ Selwyn on her ninth day on skis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLOCUedJaZw. This was taken last Sat, Aug 8, 2010

For those of you out there wandering what the good bits of Selwyn away from New Chum bowl look like, this vid pretty much sums it up! Enjoy.

#6 Ramshead, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  7. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

Looks like Stella has found her skiing groove :O) Well done to her... I know a few adults who have baulked at that little run and she handled it so well!! I think that my sister and her friend may have made that little jump.... they were both determined to get a bit of "air" but both to chicken to go into the terrain park :O) Glad to see such a great vid!!!

8. Ramshead

cool, glad u liked it. will post a couple more in coming days. not sure if i'm a mean enough daddy to post the one where she falls off powerline poma!

9. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Great video of your daughter Ramshead.

I remember you from last year...do you use the Boboyan Rd to get there?

I will be heading there on Saturday for a play in the nice new snow...cover looks good and Saturday should be a nice day!

10. Ramshead

Wow, Saturday should be a beauty with mountains of snow. Can't get there, unfortunately. Have a great time.

Yeah, I used the Boboyan last year. Was a good trip!

11. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

And that sums up Selwyn. Great for parents and their kids. Great vid Rhead. Must have good skiing genes. [​IMG]

#11 VSG, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. Ramshead

Thanks VSG! I taught kids for two seasons way back at the debut of Friday Flat in Thredbo in 88 and 89. Was pretty excited to teach one of my own, so have devoted her much time and effort. Basically her entire career has been a nine day private lesson. Mind you, it's not like I've filled her head with instructions. "Follow Dad" is about it.

Anyway, most important thing is, she loves it, and Selwyn (away from New Chum bowl, Township run and Home Run) provides the sort of chilled, uncrowded environment that makes her feel confident. Merrits at Therdbo works too. Until about 9.30 am!!!! [​IMG]

#12 Ramshead, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  13. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

I just popped down for a day ski today. I am impressed with the new chair. I like how now a few runs have been extended with new exit of the chair lift. Can't wait to see what improvements the extention of the lift will bring to the other side of the valley [​IMG]

#13 rollyz, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  14. Ramshead

huh? please explain. You don't by any chance mean an extension of the chair back up the powerline poma side of he hill, a la the Orchard/Keoghs chair that goes both ways at Hotham. Cos this is something i would like to see at selwyn. it would allow long arm and kangaroo ridge to be skiable even when powerline track has melted due to its sunny aspect.

#14 Ramshead, Aug 21, 2010
  15. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Yep, thats the plan. And it will make skiing back to the car park easy [​IMG]

#15 rollyz, Aug 22, 2010
  16. Ramshead

cool. so what's the deal. how likely is it? and when?

17. Bushy69

Bushy69 Hard Yards

I am not 100% sure, but I was told last year that the plan had been for the T3 to be a mid-loading lift that would replace the two Township T-Bars as well as the Powerline Poma. Unfortunately, due to the powerlines, that plan is on hold. Once again, this is info from a ski instructor, as told to him by a ski instructor as told to him.... we you get the idea.

In any case, Selwyn is sitting on half a 3 Chair lift that "may" end up replacing the Powerline Poma. Let us not forget they still have two T-Bars from Township that could be put to good use.

IMO, having a triple up to Long Arm may cause a bottleneck at the Racecourse T-Bar.

18. silverwitch

silverwitch Hard Yards

Maybe they could put the other part of the triple chair lift up to replace Racecourse Tbar ..might move more people and be quicker? Also it would open up Racecourse also! Just a thought and probably not doable?

19. Megs

Megs Hard Yards

I couldn't agree more!! If they are going to pop the rest of the chair lift somewhere it needs to be over @ Racecourse... you can send as many beginners over there as you like but if they cant ride the T-Bar up Selwyns back runs then they are in all sorts of trouble.... or draining extra rescources from other areas.... ie ski patrol coming to give them a lift out?? Moving 1 extra person will help with the back log of people as well.... a massive undertaking though wherever there end up putting it... fingers crossed it goes to Racecourse.... :O)

20. Ramshead

Agree and disagree. The beauty of racecourse is that it's not usually too crowded with people who don't know what they're doing. The T-Bar helps keep it that way. Then again, a chair there instead of a T would make the run much wider. Pluses and minuses here IMO.

Personally I still reckon any lift that opens KR and Long Arm as often as possible is the number one priority. Those two runs make Selwyn IMO and I actually won't go there when they're not open.

21. GilBoy

GilBoy First Runs

Gilgandra, you either know it or have no idea!
    I think a chair lift for Racecourse is the next most important development (beside replacing clive with a better toilet system!). This would be vital to future expansion towards the east up to the top of Mt Selwyn (towards the communications tower) as it allows for people at the bottom of Racecourse who arrived there from Kangaroo, Racecourse or the new Mt Selwyn runs to get back to the quarry (dam) and hence make it home.

You then plan to service Kangaroo from either the Township Triple or the bottom of Racecourse.

They have a 5 year plan to double the size of the resort, it would be good publicity to provide the overview so people could share the dream and not guess!

I find the Racecourse T-Bar ..................._|&__----------/T.................... a drag!

22. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yep there are other resorts out there that could really take a leaf out of Selwyns book.
    My daughter learnt there in 2006. She was 3&1/2 at the time and the staff were awesome.
    We stayed at providence portal. All up two weekends that were great fun.
    See the pink helmet / red suit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvfoYwC3SWQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#22 Nidecker, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  23. SelwynSnowfields

Triple chair continuing from Township up Powerline is most important at the moment.

24. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Please explain? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#24 VSG, Nov 21, 2010
  25. SelwynSnowfields

The original plan when the triple chair was installed was to have to it have a mid station and run up Powerline. Due to timing restrictions it didn't happen when we installed the chairlift in the summer of 08-09. Extending it is most important for us because we already have it approved and the Poma itself is in need of retirement. Long Arm and Kangaroo Ridge are very popular runs (My favourites also!) and having a chairlift going up it would mean the snow that is usually need for a track for the poma is no longer required. So towards the end of the season when the 2 runs are still skiable but the snow needed to get there on the poma is thin and sometimes non-existent is no longer an issue. I'm not saying when it's being done or how, but as to where our development plan stands at the moment, extending the triple chair should be next.

26. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Hey, Mr Selwyn! I found an error on your map. (and confirming it with the topo maps, being the great cartographer I am). The elevation posted at Selwyn Centre should be 1550m, not 1505m as shown. Looks like just a simple typo error.

Cheers, Rolly.

27. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Oh, and here's a question... Galahs Gully... does it actually exist? Are you yet to chop down some trees and make a trail?

Cheers, Rolly.

28. kiter

kiter One of Us

yes galahs gully does exist)but I don't think it is a cut run) .I picked my way through there once (wanting to ski every possible run a selwyn)and ended up in the creek. I also skied the run to the north of the home run*(strated about half way down ) .There was a rope tow .to the bottom of it .Faced north and snow was soft even after freshies .You can still see the run if you look to the left of the road just before you get to Selwyn.Not listed on wiki ski but I am pretty sure It was around in the early 80's

29. Mils

Mils One of Us

nice review!