My sons first day skiing

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Budgiesmuggler, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

i took my son to Falls for his first ski on Sunday. He's 3.5 yrs. we're going to Japan in Jan and I wanted to get the idea of skiing in his mind so he knew what to expect when we go.

Plan was to put him in for a lesson but we were late getting up the mountain and it was miserable day so I didn't want to shell out for him to sit around inside. So we hired skis and I pushed him around at the bottom of the chair and he liked it so much I got tickets and we went and did some runs on the magic carpet. He couldn't really turn but balance was good so he took off, I'd try and ski along beside him to slow him down or turn him. He did about 3 hrs skiing in two blocks, then some snowplay and tobogganing. It was probably best as he got to have a fun time skiing and he came away having had a lot of fun.

We did a final run down wombats and I put a bit of speed on and did some "jumps", he was telling mum how fast and high he went :)

Wardy, dibl0c, Ted Harper and 32 others like this.
  2. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

It's amazing to watch them at this age...enjoy it, make it fun, keep him warm and most of all listen to him when he wants to call it quits. :)

Charlie, Chaeron, Belly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Yeah we did stop when we wanted to. My dad was there too. He'd get to the bottom of the run and say "again again" but when we got to the top of the magic carpet he'd want to take his skis off and throw snow at grandpa!

I've already been googling best ski gloves for kids as the ones we had kept coming off (a pain for both of us!). Someone suggested duct tape...!

Chaeron likes this.
  4. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

a) Put them on before the jacket and use the jacket sleeves as an aid to keeping them on b) make sure they're not too big - it doesn't matter if they don't fit next year c) get ones with a wrist strap and a cuff elastic draw cord

In regards to the right size - it's more fitting across the back of the hand that's important. People in general straighten their fingers as a guide to size. Since when has anyone skied with straight stiff fingers? Or indeed thrown snowballs? The hands are in a relaxed position with the fingers slightly bent. Or wrapped around a ski pole. The gloves/mittens only need to fit hands in those positions.

piolet, Snowy Joey and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

When I was a young kid in England my mum used to run a length of elastic through my jacket sleeves with gloves tied to each end

Charlie, soza, W0nkey D0nkey and 4 others like this.
  6. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com

Not many sports the entire family can do together, skiing is definitely one of them.

7. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Great where are you going in Japan? I loved the moments with all my three kids getting them started on skis. Just so much fun looking at the sheer joy.

The gloves I used for my kids were the Hestra mits. They are the best. I also rig up a little attachment set up so if they take their gloves off they're attached to their jacket.

My youngest two started skiing in Japan at Higashiama. We would drive around there each day and start them off there. It's much quieter than the Hirafu side of the mountain and where they ski is nice and wide and open, they're not compressed in that ace family section. They progressed really quickly

8. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Good Job! Great that he enjoyed it. One of the other tricks is to have some treats in your pocket in case they get cold or suffer from low blood sugar. One of my kids was fine but the other one needed treats on the chair lift to prevent low blood sugar tantrums. We learnt a little preventive action led to a great day on the slopes. Otherwise it deteriorated after a couple of hours.

And try mittens rather than gloves. In either case be aware that they get the insides wet because they take them off lots and then put wet hands back into the gloves/mittens. So the wet gloves/mittens is often not a case of the waterproofing having failed.

We did this for our kids. They hated the feel of the elastic across their shoulders. It is better to have something around their wrists. Can be just elastic with a loop on each end. One for around the wrist and one to be used to attach to something on the gloves. Sure has saved lots of lost gloves over the years. Just watch out for propellor gloves though. My youngest loved walking around swinging his arms so the gloves rotated like propellors. Just a bit dangerous for anyone who got near him.

Chaeron likes this.
  9. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Would be quicker and easier just to staple the gloves to their wrists

10. silva

silva Active Member

A couple of sets of aldi mits on rotation and always carry a spare has worked well for us. The kids get them wet from the inside rather than the outside as they put their wet hands in them, drag them on the snow, take them off and use them to collect snow etc. Our son had expensive gloves and mits but did not like them, the Aldi ones stayed on and he liked them, they were warm and comfortable (and if the odd one goes missing it wont cause too much stress).

One more tip - kids often get cold in Aus because they get wet and the only solution is to take them home and dry everything out. Most places overseas they get cold because it is actually cold! No matter how hard its snowing or how many times they bury themselves in the snow unless they get snow inside their outer layer its pretty hard to get wet. When its actually cold the little stick on chemical heat hand and toe warmers are awesome for kids - stick a pair to the top of their socks and we have found the day becomes longer and a lot more fun when it is cold ( less than -5oC). They get a bit expensive to buy when buying them individually (especially in Japan at $5 a set) but you can buy them by the box for less than $1 a pack on ebay - just search toe warmers or Little hotties - the only difference is usually the toe warmers have a sticky side and the hand warmers do not. Oh and dont put them on the bottom of your/your kids socks, they need to go on the top in ski and snowboard boots or they are very uncomfortable.

#10 silva, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Chaeron likes this.
  11. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Buy some Edgy Wedgies for the tips of the skis, it makes snow ploughing so much easier for very little people = control, stopping, turning and fun!

kaegee and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  12. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

So very very cute!
    (The kid!! The kid!!!)

I'd stitch the long bit of elastic that Gareth suggested so even if they fell off they didn't fall off IYKWIM. And if the gloves don't have the ability to be tightened at the wrist I'd try something like a home made bracelet of Velcro to wrap around the wrist to cinch it tighter.

13. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Little dude is gonna need a snorkel in japan.

Froff Life and Chaeron like this.
  14. DPS Driver

Here's my two youngest on their first season. Early season in Japan. You can tell because of the snow level.
    [​IMG]

15. DPS Driver

Here they are doing turns. Note the edgy wedgy on the young fellas tips. best things ever, when they're 3 y/o. Oh and before anyone mentions no helmets. It was a photo shoot, so just a couple of runs without them.[​IMG]

16. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I just started hurting, recalling when my young fella started skiing around that age and those snowplough runs down Wombat's with him between my skis. My legs were in bloody agony. But when they first take off on their own the pain's instantly forgotten because of the smile on your face. Good work.:thumbs:

Charlie and cqen2l like this.
  17. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

@Budgiesmuggler as much hard work as kids are, its something I'll always proudly remember as both enjoyable and an opportunity to mould my kids' lifelong interests.

At one stage we had 4 kids aged 3, 5, 7 and 9 at the snow and I would gladly do it all over again.

skull likes this.
  18. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Wow I suffer enough, can't imagine x4! :)

19. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Yeah legs hurt a lot getting down but it was so much fun. He wanted to go faster and "go past those kids".

20. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

Despite the skiing i think this was his best bit about the day. A snow fire truck with no wheels!

The two fireies were very nice and gave him a tour of the truck and answered all his questions. Dad now has to keep telling snow fire truck stories.

21. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It is such a cool time. Each achievement gives so much pleasure. But you are on the path to the Warren Miller Day.

One of Miller's recycled jokes was the theory that as your child's abilities increase yours decline. There comes one day in your skiing lives where the upward trajectory coincides with the downward trajectory. On that single, and singular, day you will have the experience where you arrive at the bottom of every lift at the same time. You will choose exactly the same runs. You will stop and wait at the same time. You will call it quits at the same time. It is a great day.

It happened when mine was about 12. I was so proud.

Ted Harper, skull, climberman and 4 others like this.
  22. tele-whippet

Season Pass Gold

But you ski on a zimmerframe now.

23. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

And the daughter skis like a demon. A+ for understanding the point.

Budgiesmuggler likes this.
  24. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

You are so right about that and it was the moment I was looking for. Mine was about 20yo and now his stamina exceeds mine, but he reckons I still go better than him for a shorter time. It really is a great thing to be able to ski with your kids.

Chaeron and Legs Akimbo like this.
  25. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Yeah ive had my day with 2 (13 and 10) out of 3 kids. Im threatening to put them on teles. Or get them to take up boarding....

Watching #3 (8yo) ski is a little like watching paint dry but im sure the day will come when she rips past me and says 'cmon'....so i should enjoy her pace now

tele-whippet likes this.
  26. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I agree with so much of this, I did buy a couple of sets or Outdoor Research kids mitts for my daughter when she was little, just for the water proof aspect, and we always had a couple of ski outfits for rainy days. Lots of time with dad lying in the snow, throwing snowballs, looking for wildlife, bribing with hot chocolates. Its all about time on the snow and not about the adults extreme ski experience. DOn't fall into the trap of steep runs for little ones, it only reinforces the bad habit of sitting back on the skis. Gentle runs teach confidence, and keep the kids forward where they need to be, there is plenty of time when they are teenagers to ski blue/black :)

Chaeron and Budgiesmuggler like this.
  27. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

28. tele-whippet

Season Pass Gold

First day on skis 18 years ago at Charlotte Pass.
    He turned 21 last week!

Ted Harper, mr, skull and 2 others like this.
  29. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

I'm incredibly competitive sportswise.

So when my kids overtake me, I'm torn in half by being proud and annoyed at the same time LOL

30. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I really like the fairly basic XTM mitten ones, but not the ones with the side zip. The trick is to get them to push their hands forward (I always invite my daughter to punch me in the face) and then when the hand is right in, cinch the pull thingy above the wrist firmly.

Those gloves stay on, stay dry throughout snow play, and stay warm

31. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

That's about the same time as my kids , they might have been in ski school together ????

tele-whippet likes this.
  32. skull

skull Active Member

I currently have 4 and 2 and the 4 yo absolutely loves the snow. He has come along great this season, which is good for me as hopefully soon enough I will have a skiing buddy (the wife isn't too good or too adventurous with skiing)

33. DPS Driver

I should throw one up of the eldest, now 23 and a qualified ski instructor. This would be around 2000 or 01 in the Thredboland years. He started a few years before this photo was taken but I can't find any earlier pics of him skiing.
    [​IMG]

#33 DPS Driver, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Annabuzzy likes this.
  34. piolet

piolet Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Classic

Again! Again! Again!

:D

35. Lord Back Country

Lord Back Country Active Member

Any tips on how to get my kids to actually make a turn on the way down?

They are exocets otherwise...!

Shouting does not work, alas...

cheers

36. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Yeah my 10yo middle kid just goes into a tuck at the top half the time.....sadly i think he needs a big stack to get the message. .....listening to others is low on his agenda. Has to learn the hard way. I'm just hoping the big stack doesnt end up in too much hospital time....

W0nkey D0nkey likes this.
  37. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

@Sandy has a great game for that! I'm sure he'll chime in to explain

38. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

great thread for reminiscing, and yeah a great reminder what a family sport skiing is, and the progress we all make in life

here's some pics of my oldest, now 13yo
    1. 1st time on the snow november 2004 - mt mckay (big year 2004)
    2. At the summit Poma when he was 6 or so
    3. With me at mt stirling aged 10
    4. On the cornice a few weeks ago, the man in black

39. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room

Playing tag. If the kid is slow and you're chasing, then when he/she is headed right, you swing further around to the right of he/she, and yell "I'm gonna get you", and he/she will turn left. repeat. You will be amazed at how much their turning improves. When chasing, use your maneuverability to avoid them and turn a lot, so they have to turn to chase you. Make sure that if they're chasing, they catch you within a minute or so.
    If they just go fast and straight while you're chasing them, make a rule that they have to always be turning, otherwise it's their turn to chase you.

currawong and Lord Back Country like this.
  40. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Mine 2nd child who was similar survived. Totally traumatised a poor snowboarder he "took out" exiting Dream run at speed. Refused to look uphill when merging prior to that. Poor snowboarder was so distressed that he had hurt this little kid. Thought we were mean parents for having no sympathy for our child.

He also delighted in terrorizing the snowboarders sitting in the middle of the trail. Would head straight for them and then suddenly turn. He was in complete control but they did not know that. Little shit thought it was funny.

Best option is to have someone else pull him into line. Someone he respects. If there are any ski patrol slowing people down ask them to have a word with him. Or an instructor.

Get them to follow you, chase you or some similar game. Set up a reward or incentive. Explain that they are stuck on the beginner slopes till they do turns.

In both cases if all else fails put them in a lesson where the goal is to get them to do turns.

dibl0c and Froff Life like this.
  41. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

i agree completely - not 3 weeks ago i made him listen to some patrollers tearing through a late teenager for ripping through the slalom gully slow zones - and now dad's new mantra is 'too fast, lose your pass'......it might be me or a patroller.

skichanger likes this.
  42. tele-whippet

Season Pass Gold

Our's slowed down after he went down High Noon at warp speed, too fast to stop but just managing to hold his turns together and not crashing at high speed.
    He was so shaken at the bottom realising what damage may have occurred that he skied in control ever after!

43. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Season Pass Gold

You have posted this before, and I take great pleasure in recounting it to others
    I went through it 5 times with my kids, and each time was magic
    I always add that the day after, the kid will say "Hey Dad, follow me down this run"
    I always declined!

44. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

LOLLOLLOL

45. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Lucky! And what a great outcome!

Cannot remember exactly where it was but think it was on High Noon, the eldest one went over a rainbow at full speed. Yard sale further down the hill and very winded child. No serious damage but a great lesson. Always had the the thought that the occasional bit of pain on the ski slopes is a good precursor for pushbikes and motorbikes. Far less likely to do serious damage on the slopes but they will learn that it does hurt to crash.

JoeKing likes this.
  46. craighelo

craighelo Well-Known Member

I got my 3 year old to put her hands on her knees and then seems to turn, at nearly four now I just tell her which way to turn and point and she does, not sure she knows how she is doing it but seems to work.

47. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

It's why I always recommend lessons for young kids. A good instructor has ways of communicating complex concepts to kids in a way that makes sense to them.

48. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

49. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Her first day ever on snow. Pink Helmut red suit.....She is a bit of a racer now at 14....

50. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Sometimes it is as simple as having them copy what the instructor is doing. With my youngest, our fav instructor ever at Thredboland, would get him to follow her whilst she skied backwards. He just copied her. Was technically a much better skier than his older brother for a few years because of the great technique had learnt by copying her.