1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

My trip report from last week.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by SNJ, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Spent last week up at PB staying at Ski rider so not far from the action and had an awesome week. We experienced all conditions except the rain that threatened the forecasts all week. It rained at night where we were but never while we were skiing so all good!

Monday:
    Sunny skies, bugger all wind and no lift lines!! Spent first half of the day getting the ski legs back on Happy valley, Towers and Eyre. Nice dry snow. Shot over to the ridge after lunch via roller coaster (open for once..niiice) and found no lift lines again and typical ridge snow quality. Great at top bit slushish down lower. No one on the slopes so could take as much up as the slopes as possible and whatever lines we wanted. Great first day...damn knackered at the end but quickly forgotten with beers at the bar and ACDC on the juke box.

Tuesday:

Repeat of Monday except alot windier. Olympic on hold and would stay that way for the rest of the week...shame. Great untouched windblown snow to be found on dog leg and lower half of olympic early on the day.

Wednesday:
    4cm of snow overnight. Very heavy going, completely fogged out and bloody windy. Spent most of the morning on Happy valley just skiing the sides as there was no one about. Quad went on hold probably about 10am which meant not many people coming up the mountain. Attempted to go across to Eyre but at the top of Sun valley t-bar visibility was about 10m. Spent 1.5hrs at mid station drying off and eating. Nothing much better to do. The rest of the arvo we spent on happy valley again doing the same lines. Too many people on Centre valley. One lady in the afternoon found herself wedged in a tree in a not so comfortable fashion.

Thursday:
    Sunshine again but still windy! The 4cm from Tuesday night that had not been skied was now hard ice. No good. Right over to Eyre again where it was quite good near the track but icey out wide. Some beaut lines could be found out wide where the windblown had gathered which was the go. Few goes off a small cornice that formed with the wind and we were happy as not many people attempted to ski across on the ice. After lunch headed to Guthega. Lift lines and ice were the order so gave that up pretty quickly and headed back to Blue Cow. Zali's was ice with some light cover on top and felt dodgy to ski on. Buggered that and shot over to Ridge where good snow was found and we were out of the wind. After 3pm the clouds were rolling in over the main range which looked pretty cool. I was going to take a pic from the top of Blue Cow but the strong winds and snowboarder [auto-censor] behind the rock deterred me.

Friday.
    3cm reported overnight. Dusting at the ski rider with flurries in the morning. Always a good sign. -1 in the village and -4 up top. Few runs down towers to warm up. Awesome cover with fresh lines down the sides. Seemed like more than 3cm. Shot over to Eyre with more nice dry snow. Was dumping down for most part of the morning with white out conditions up top that were a little dangerous. Sweet lines to be found in the trees down low and with tracks being mostly covered in pretty quickly. After a quick stop in at mid to have a break it was back to Eyre but the conditions up top were getting to us. Decided to head onto the Ridge where i was still able to find more fresh tracks (after 12pm) so i was verrry happy. Didn't take any photos on Friday on the slopes as we were too busy lapping up the snow before leaving. 5 days is never enough and after seeing photos from the weekend i wish we could have stayed that bit longer.

I was only able to put on two photos last night so i will post some more tonight. [​IMG]
    View of main range from top of Mt P
    [​IMG]
    Top of Mt p.
    [​IMG]

#1 SNJ, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. snowjet

snowjet First Runs

Monday was spring conditions temperature wise but snow was superb with kamakazie and rock garden great.Mt P was wonderful with Olimpic the stand out.
    Tuesday was much the same with Guthega and Blue Cow the order of the day.
    Wedensday I give a miss and seems I did'nt miss much.
    Thursday I missed thinking the winds would continue and was told by friends that ice was the order of the day but to my suprise lifts remained open.
    Friday was excellent with left of excelerator in deeper powder than reported. North Perisher was also good with the trees being the go.
    Saturday was cold and snowy but the cover was to good to resist. Visability was poor but the snow held you upright. I was due to go home but senced something special for Sunday so found last minute accomadation for Sat.
    Sunday was worth the last minute sting and one of those days you only get every few years. I went to Thredbo as Perisher was packed on Sat and enjoyed short lift lines, sensational snow with everything open, blue skies and one of the best days I have ever had. Pics like Mattus posted were everywhere and it hurt like hell to leave knowing monday would be almost as good.

3. SNJ

SNJ One of Us

Here are a couple more pics.
    The front arriving on Tuesday arvo over the main range in the back ground. As mentioned I could've got a better photo if it wasn't for the boarder releaving himself. Come to think of it i noticed a big increase in yellow and brown snow about the higher areas. People not going to much effort to get out of sight
    [​IMG]
    View of the PB valley from dog leg run.
    [​IMG]

Yeh snowjet you didn't miss much on Wednesday. But when you are only down for a couple of days a year you make the best of all conditions [​IMG] i say. I was annoyed that Nth Perisher t-bar was closed all week because no one i was with wanted to travel out there and have to traverse back. Was it dry snow out there or a bit soft?

#3 SNJ, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013