Advice needed Myoko Jan 2023

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Hi All, first time posting but I have read quite a bit already but given the climate with covid I figure things may have changed some. Please help point me in the right direction as I have so many questions!

We have decided to go to Myoko in Jan 2023, we started looking for this years ski season but it was just too iffy! Our family consists of 2 adults and 3 children. 1 Adult is a pretty decent skier but it is probably 20 years since he has been on powder, the other adult (myself) has only been skiing a couple of years and only just going parallel through my turns. 10 and 12 year old are better skiers than me and comfortable on intermediate runs, 7 year old was just making it down green runs before skiing in Australia stopped 2 years ago. We should get a week in NZ and another couple of weeks in Aus this season so hopefully some skills come back/improve.

So to my brain dump of eclectic questions:
Which resorts will be best for a family, from the resort maps most looked to be fairly beginner-friendly?

Accommodation, any recommendations? We preferably would like a kitchen as my kids have some dietary requirements that might not be easily catered for and we are not sure if we will be able to eat out.

We were thinking of taking our ski's over but someone mentioned that we may be better off hiring ski's more suited to the conditions?

We were thinking it might be best to hire a car, would hiring a car at the airport and dring over be a bad idea? what would be a better idea?

The 7 year old probably needs some ski school time while we are there, I only found one place that spoke english, and they only did the full day are there other options?

Happy for all and any advice.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Akakura Onsen or Ikenotaira (but others will work)

Red Warehouse is best set up for families (full disclosure: I'm biased because I used to own/run it) and they have a guest car park (many places don't). If they don't have anything PM me and I will suggest some other options.

Unless you're intent on going side/back country maybe not. But you can still try other skis if you want. Pretty much all options are listed here.

Yes. It will also save 35,000 yen total each way on train fares. Make sure it's 4WD with snow tyres. I know rentalcars.com is doing some pretty good deals at present. I'm picking one up from them in Haneda next week to drive up.

Which one did you talk to? Myoko Snowsports? Also try Go Myoko (request form here) who do half days. Tell Georgie that Nic recommended them to you.

Good luck!

Reactions: Lindyplus3
Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
In response to your questions, in order:

The 4 main resorts are have areas that are good for beginners. We have never skied Akakura Onsen because we have been told it is flat and not worthwhile for competent skiers. Try the other 3 and see which you like best. If you have a car you can go further afield e.g. Tangram/Madarao and Lotte.

Accommodation, clearly I would suggest Chalet Myoko but declaring my self interest. It is self cater and has 2 rooms with ensuites. There are lots of other good places. Not sure how many are self cater though. Some dietary requirements are easy. There is so much tofu. Chicken is the easiest meat to get. We do supermarket runs and you can order groceries online.

Boots are a must to take if you have your own. I cannot imagine skiing in rental boots.. Skis, luggage allowance often drives this. There are lots of rental places.

For 5 hiring a car is the most economical option. But be aware that sometimes you book a 4wd but get given a 2wd. This is not usually an issue till the last bit of the drive. Be mindful of hopping off a plane and then doing a 5 hour drive.

There are at least 3 places that do lessons in English, plus https://mountainpros.com/

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Upvote 0

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Hi All, first time posting but I have read quite a bit already but given the climate with covid I figure things may have changed some. Please help point me in the right direction as I have so many questions!

We have decided to go to Myoko in Jan 2023, we started looking for this years ski season but it was just too iffy! Our family consists of 2 adults and 3 children. 1 Adult is a pretty decent skier but it is probably 20 years since he has been on powder, the other adult (myself) has only been skiing a couple of years and only just going parallel through my turns. 10 and 12 year old are better skiers than me and comfortable on intermediate runs, 7 year old was just making it down green runs before skiing in Australia stopped 2 years ago. We should get a week in NZ and another couple of weeks in Aus this season so hopefully some skills come back/improve.

So to my brain dump of eclectic questions:
Which resorts will be best for a family, from the resort maps most looked to be fairly beginner-friendly?

Accommodation, any recommendations? We preferably would like a kitchen as my kids have some dietary requirements that might not be easily catered for and we are not sure if we will be able to eat out.

We were thinking of taking our ski's over but someone mentioned that we may be better off hiring ski's more suited to the conditions?

We were thinking it might be best to hire a car, would hiring a car at the airport and dring over be a bad idea? what would be a better idea?

The 7 year old probably needs some ski school time while we are there, I only found one place that spoke english, and they only did the full day are there other options?

Happy for all and any advice.
First trip to Japan?
I’d probably go with either a Highway bus or experience the bullet train to Nagano and then pick up a car.

Upvote 0

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah the trains and buses are really good there, never had an issue with our family. Can't comment on the rental car as we've never bothered, just don't see the point personally, always have an easy and fun time on their public transport.

Akakura Onsen was fine for our average sized family of average ski / boarders, but yes there are some flat runs; we had a really warm day and the snow went slush and heavy.....basically couldn't get back down the run.

We didn't get any lessons while there but I would think the English speaking thing wouldn't be too hard to find, you'll get good recommendations here. We generally go Nozawa Onsen and it's fine there.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Akakura Onsen or Ikenotaira (but others will work)

Red Warehouse is best set up for families (full disclosure: I'm biased because I used to own/run it) and they have a guest car park (many places don't). If they don't have anything PM me and I will suggest some other options.

Unless you're intent on going side/back country maybe not. But you can still try other skis if you want. Pretty much all options are listed here.

Yes. It will also save 35,000 yen total each way on train fares. Make sure it's 4WD with snow tyres. I know rentalcars.com is doing some pretty good deals at present. I'm picking one up from them in Haneda next week to drive up.

Which one did you talk to? Myoko Snowsports? Also try Go Myoko (request form here) who do half days. Tell Georgie that Nic recommended them to you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips, Red Warehouse could be an option :)
I doubt any of us is up to backcountry so maybe we will just take what we have.
I cannot see any 4WD out of Tokyo on rentalcars.com is it generally hard to find 4WD or do you think we are just o early to book at this point?

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
In response to your questions, in order:

The 4 main resorts are have areas that are good for beginners. We have never skied Akakura Onsen because we have been told it is flat and not worthwhile for competent skiers. Try the other 3 and see which you like best. If you have a car you can go further afield e.g. Tangram/Madarao and Lotte.

Accommodation, clearly I would suggest Chalet Myoko but declaring my self interest. It is self cater and has 2 rooms with ensuites. There are lots of other good places. Not sure how many are self cater though. Some dietary requirements are easy. There is so much tofu. Chicken is the easiest meat to get. We do supermarket runs and you can order groceries online.

Boots are a must to take if you have your own. I cannot imagine skiing in rental boots.. Skis, luggage allowance often drives this. There are lots of rental places.

For 5 hiring a car is the most economical option. But be aware that sometimes you book a 4wd but get given a 2wd. This is not usually an issue till the last bit of the drive. Be mindful of hopping off a plane and then doing a 5 hour drive.

There are at least 3 places that do lessons in English, plus https://mountainpros.com/

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions you have.
Thank you for your response, my kids are all coeliac so need to eat a strict gluten free diet without cross contamination, two are also lactose intolerant though that one is usually easy enough. My understanding is that it is not a common disease in Japan but I'm hoping we might find somewhere that works but the kitchen backup will give me piece of mind.

Boots 100% we will be taking, I think rental boots would likely ruin the holiday!

I think we will try and stay in Tokyo for a couple of days to look around and get over the sleep deprivation from having 3 children on an overnight flight before we head up. Any tips on fining a 4WD from Tokyo?

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
First trip to Japan?
I’d probably go with either a Highway bus or experience the bullet train to Nagano and then pick up a car.
Yes first trip to Japan, we are likely to spend a couple of days in Tokyo first but the bullet train is so expensive. When I looked it was going to be about $700 AUS for a one way trip plus all the mucking about with ski's and other trains. Does that sound about right or have I just not found the right info?

Upvote 0

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yes first trip to Japan, we are likely to spend a couple of days in Tokyo first but the bullet train is so expensive. When I looked it was going to be about $700 AUS for a one way trip plus all the mucking about with ski's and other trains. Does that sound about right or have I just not found the right info?
I don't think you've found the right info.

Total:¥ 8,980 from Tokyo to Iiyama

Here

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp

12+ is full price
6-11 is half price

So roughly 40,000 yen one way

Snow tyres showing for me when I just did a mock booking.

1648780937544.png

Just over $100 a day when booking a Serena people mover.

1648780991287.png

I'd tentatively lock that in because it can be cancelled easily enough. You can also email them after booking and ask if it includes 4WD. I've found that sometimes there's simply a switch that you push to change from 2WD to AWD/4WD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Thank you for your response, my kids are all coeliac so need to eat a strict gluten free diet without cross contamination, two are also lactose intolerant though that one is usually easy enough. My understanding is that it is not a common disease in Japan but I'm hoping we might find somewhere that works but the kitchen backup will give me piece of mind.

Boots 100% we will be taking, I think rental boots would likely ruin the holiday!

I think we will try and stay in Tokyo for a couple of days to look around and get over the sleep deprivation from having 3 children on an overnight flight before we head up. Any tips on fining a 4WD from Tokyo?

I've had no dramas finding a 4wd in Tokyo. I usually book in October.
I'll give you a hot tip.

4500 yen a day from Narita
4wd. Snowtyres included.

Upvote 0

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Upvote 0

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

We have had a few coeliac guests. There are lots of rice options. We get gluten free rolled oats from Costco when required. Thee are lot of other rolled oats and corn flakes options but I prefer to buy a packet that explicitly says gluten free when it is an issue.. Find gluten free soy and carry it with you. There are rice noodles, vermicilli. Soba noodles are made from buck weat but many now have some wheat added so be careful about that,

And there is a card you can print out that is in Japanese saying you are coeliac to show restaurants. There is quite a lot of information out there about the good and the bad, where to eat and what dishes to stay away from.

And lactose intolerant. Lots of milk alternatives, especially soy, in the supermarkets. We were overwhelmed for choice when choosing which to buy for guests.

Boots is a must. My son takes them as carry on luggage. Skis he can replace relatively easily or borrow a pair till his arrive.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
I've had no dramas finding a 4wd in Tokyo. I usually book in October.
I'll give you a hot tip.

4500 yen a day from Narita
4wd. Snowtyres included.
Thank you, my husband has informed me my issue with not finding 4WD is just not knowing enough about cars! I'm used to the bookings saying 4WD and not needing to which cars are which, needless to say this task has been reassigned :D

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McSly
Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
We have had a few coeliac guests. There are lots of rice options. We get gluten free rolled oats from Costco when required. Thee are lot of other rolled oats and corn flakes options but I prefer to buy a packet that explicitly says gluten free when it is an issue.. Find gluten free soy and carry it with you. There are rice noodles, vermicilli. Soba noodles are made from buck weat but many now have some wheat added so be careful about that,

And there is a card you can print out that is in Japanese saying you are coeliac to show restaurants. There is quite a lot of information out there about the good and the bad, where to eat and what dishes to stay away from.

And lactose intolerant. Lots of milk alternatives, especially soy, in the supermarkets. We were overwhelmed for choice when choosing which to buy for guests.

Boots is a must. My son takes them as carry on luggage. Skis he can replace relatively easily or borrow a pair till his arrive.
Thanks for the tips, unfortunately for us oats are included in the no go foods just make it a little trickier! We have GF soy here so I might just pack a bottle in the luggage.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
If you don't mind me asking, why is that?
Sure. The protein in oats, Avenin, is very similar to gluten and a percentage of people with coeliac disease have the same reaction to oats as they do gluten. In Australia, oats are not considered gluten free and products cannot be labelled gluten free if they have oats in them.

Upvote 0

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Sure. The protein in oats, Avenin, is very similar to gluten and a percentage of people with coeliac disease have the same reaction to oats as they do gluten. In Australia, oats are not considered gluten free and products cannot be labelled gluten free if they have oats in them.
I went to a restaurant recently that had gluten free soba noodles on the menu as well as not gluten free. I thought I took a pic but cannot find it.

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Sure. The protein in oats, Avenin, is very similar to gluten and a percentage of people with coeliac disease have the same reaction to oats as they do gluten.
I didn't know that, thanks. Can Avenin sensitivity be tested for and distinguished from gluten sensitivity?

In Australia, oats are not considered gluten free and products cannot be labelled gluten free if they have oats in them.
I had previously understood that there was a standards related issue behind that. In the EU AIUI, products are deemed gluten free if they have a gluten level below a certain number of ppm, which is safe for all but the most sensitive cœliacs. Oats generally qualify in the EU despite measurable trace amounts of gluten. In Australia however, the standard for gluten free is stricter, requiring no measurable trace of gluten.

I therefore understood that the safety of oats for cœliacs depends on the individual's level of sensitivity to gluten. Again, thanks for the explanation about Avenin. It's a bit of a minefield.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
I didn't know that, thanks. Can Avenin sensitivity be tested for and distinguished from gluten sensitivity?

I had previously understood that there was a standards related issue behind that. In the EU AIUI, products are deemed gluten free if they have a gluten level below a certain number of ppm, which is safe for all but the most sensitive cœliacs. Oats generally qualify in the EU despite measurable trace amounts of gluten. In Australia however, the standard for gluten free is stricter, requiring no measurable trace of gluten.

I therefore understood that the safety of oats for cœliacs depends on the individual's level of sensitivity to gluten. Again, thanks for the explanation about Avenin. It's a bit of a minefield.
Yes the different rules can make it quite tricky to navigate. You can do an oats challenge, it requires blood tests and a scope before eating oats everyday for 3 months then more blood tests and a repeat scope. However you also have to get wheat free oats as oats are generally grown with wheat and are often cross-contaminated. I'm not sure who has it right but Australia has a faster and higher remission rate than the US and EU countries. Given my children are little we have not put them through the oats challenge and er on the side of caution given the damage it can do to them.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
I went to a restaurant recently that had gluten free soba noodles on the menu as well as not gluten free. I thought I took a pic but cannot find it.
I am hoping we will be able to find some good food for the kids, they love Japanese style food, I've been told to pack our own soy sauce and will probably pack other food for them too just in case.

Upvote 0

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
I have been to Myoko with my son who was 10 at the time. We stayed at Red warehouse - highly recommended. Good kitchen facilities and a nice warm common lounge room. There was also a kids room and my son had fun there with his new friends.
We have never hired a car in Japan and have not had any problems with public transport. The buses to other resort areas around Myoko were not the best though so if you want to explore different areas a car might be convenient.
Our son has been travelling to Japan since he was about 5 so the bathing/onsen experience was not new to him - he actually really enjoys the onsens and is not at all phased by communal bathing. I have had friends whose tween girls were a bit horrified though so a discussion beforehand might be required. From memory the onsen at Red Warehouse is semi private and there are separate private shower rooms/cubicles but your kids should not expect to be able to have separate baths/onsens and there is no shower attached to your room - our room at Red Warehouse did have its own toilet which is a bit rare. If you or your kids are not able to get your head around onsen bathing then take this into consideration when booking as many places do not have any private bathing facilities.
Another tip - take your own slippers. Just about all accommodation options supply slippers (no outside shoes inside) but having your own is just nicer.

Reactions: Lindyplus3 and M_G
Upvote 0

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Strongly suggest you just catch the bus from the airport. It's easy. You don't want to be getting off a 10 hr flight, then driving through Tokyo. IMO. Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko ski areas are linked and offer a range of terrain from easy beginner to challenging Intermediate and some expert runs, too. Very accessible from the town. A bus goes to Ikenotaira and Suginohara if you need some variety or longer runs. Accommodation options offered above sound like they will suit. Hope you make it happen Would love to get back there. Ski school is great, too.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Strongly suggest you just catch the bus from the airport. It's easy. You don't want to be getting off a 10 hr flight, then driving through Tokyo. IMO. Akakura Onsen and Akakura Kanko ski areas are linked and offer a range of terrain from easy beginner to challenging Intermediate and some expert runs, too. Very accessible from the town. A bus goes to Ikenotaira and Suginohara if you need some variety or longer runs. Accommodation options offered above sound like they will suit. Hope you make it happen Would love to get back there. Ski school is great, too.
Thank you, we have flights and accommodation now so we just need to figure out transport and we are heavily leaning towards bus/shuttle transport there and the train back. A car is sounding more like an unnecessary hassle.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
he actually really enjoys the onsens and is not at all phased by communal bathing.
I think the kids will be ok with communal bathing, they have very few worries with that side. They sound pretty cool and unique! One of my kids just has difficulty with public toilets so finding a place with a private one was a high priority, all solved now :)

Upvote 0

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Thank you, we have flights and accommodation now so we just need to figure out transport and we are heavily leaning towards bus/shuttle transport there and the train back. A car is sounding more like an unnecessary hassle.
The shuttle bus at Myoko was not running the last two seasons because of COVID. And the couple of years before that, you had to pay 500yen per person per ride.

• Sad
Reactions: M_G and skichanger
Upvote 0

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The shuttle bus at Myoko was not running the last two seasons because of COVID. And the couple of years before that, you had to pay 500yen per person per ride.
Just to be clear, I suspect that if Aussies are allowed back in and numbers are reasonable, they will probably run the shuttles again.

Upvote 0

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Just to be clear, I suspect that if Aussies are allowed back in and numbers are reasonable, they will probably run the shuttles again.
The problem we had with the interconnecting mountain shuttle bus service is that there were way too many skiers to fit in the bus. Everyone was jammed in like sardines and still people were left behind to wait an hr for the next bus( this was about 4 yrs ago). Som accommodation will ferry you to the different ski mountains, where we stayed they did but you had to shuttle bus home.

Upvote 0

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The problem we had with the interconnecting mountain shuttle bus service is that there were way too many skiers to fit in the bus. Everyone was jammed in like sardines and still people were left behind to wait an hr for the next bus( this was about 4 yrs ago). Som accommodation will ferry you to the different ski mountains, where we stayed they did but you had to shuttle bus home.
This is why it's often better to have a car at Myoko.

Reactions: Crispy013
Upvote 0

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
We used Nagano snow shuttle, from airport, great service to the door, less hassle with bags ect. Will use again.
Myoko shuttle (coaster bus) I would not recommend, if its running as Sandy said it gets very crowded, you need to carry skis ect on a crowded hot bus.
Theres nothing like waiting for your own pick up at selected time, no lining up and or waiting in the cold for the next bus.
If you do use the shuttle I suggest finishing by 2.30 - 3pm. With young ones. Like a plenty of others we have been several times, happy for a PM.
Myoko Kogan is a great spot, The train ride from Myoko Kogan to Nagano is worth a day trip.
Also Myoko to Joetsu.

Upvote 0

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
We used Nagano snow shuttle, from airport, great service to the door, less hassle with bags ect. Will use again.
Myoko shuttle (coaster bus) I would not recommend, if its running as Sandy said it gets very crowded, you need to carry skis ect on a crowded hot bus.
Theres nothing like waiting for your own pick up at selected time, no lining up and or waiting in the cold for the next bus.
If you do use the shuttle I suggest finishing by 2.30 - 3pm. With young ones. Like a plenty of others we have been several times, happy for a PM.
Myoko Kogan is a great spot, The train ride from Myoko Kogan to Nagano is worth a day trip.
Also Myoko to Joetsu.

I loved that local train from Nagano to Myoko. Agree with everything you've said other than the direct transfer from the airport; we did not enjoy the loooong bus ride straight off the plane. Anywho, that's just our preference.

Upvote 0

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Best option depends on personal preference, what your accommodation provides and how accommodating your accommodation is.

Seriously catching the shuttle from the airport and arriving at 2 or 3 am is not endearing to your accommodation.

Nor is arriving with a car at 4 am with no notice and demanding a non existant car park you have not previously checked up on. And then refusing to help the lodge manager dig out a car space for you.

Nor is needing to be picked up at the train station at 3 am because the taxi is 2wd and cannot get uphill from route 18.

And do not expect your accommodation to pick you up from one of the sleezy bars in the village when you are blind drunk and incapable of walking.

All these are things that have actually happened to us.

We know how full the shuttles get and instead shuttle our guests around. But it is not an on demand service. You are expected to be reasonable and make prior arrangements, even if the prior arrangement is that you will call after a set time.

Some people have no idea that lodge managers have more to do than be at the beck and call of guests 24 hours a day.

Upvote 0

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
The longer this vacillation goes on the more I worry. If they don't decide till September/October I very much doubt the local tourist board can move that quick.

Agree with everything you've said other than the direct transfer from the airport; we did not enjoy the loooong bus ride straight off the plane.
Hate getting off a plane then being cooped up for another 5. If I have enough time get to Nagano on the shink and crash there I'll do that. Otherwise it's an overnighter near Ueno somewhere.

Some people have no idea that lodge managers have more to do than be at the beck and call of guests 24 hours a day.
Really? Aren't we living the perfect life? LOL.

Upvote 0

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
The longer this vacillation goes on the more I worry. If they don't decide till September/October I very much doubt the local tourist board can move that quick.

Hate getting off a plane then being cooped up for another 5. If I have enough time get to Nagano on the shink and crash there I'll do that. Otherwise it's an overnighter near Ueno somewhere.

Let's see what happens after the 10th!

Upvote 0

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne

I'll always take a night in Ueno and then the shinkansen the next day over the airport bus to a ski field. IMO, the bus from the airport is the worst option for both comfort and convenience.

Upvote 0

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I'll always take a night in Ueno and then the shinkansen the next day over the airport bus to a ski field. IMO, the bus from the airport is the worst option for both comfort and convenience.
Just remember also, if you overnight in Tokyo and are heading to Hakuba, IMO the best option is to catch the Azusa express from Shinjuku at 8am.... effortless arrival into Hakuba Station (once a day) around 11:30am.

Reactions: M_G
Upvote 0

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Just remember also, if you overnight in Tokyo and are heading to Hakuba, IMO the best option is to catch the Azusa express from Shinjuku at 8am.... effortless arrival into Hakuba Station (once a day) around 11:30am.
It's my number 1 train in Japan. I'd love to do it again.

Reactions: Chrisamberely
Upvote 0

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I like to fly overnight and catch the first Shinkansen in the morning. At Madarao you can arrive in time to ski most of the day.

Nearly every guest we have had catch the airport bus to Chalet Myoko has not hit the slopes the next morning. Most sleep in.

At Madarao it really is not an option and not something we would encourage anyone to do. If it has snowed most vehicles will not get down our street till after the snow plow has been at 4am.

Upvote 0

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast

We always stay at an Narita airport hotel the first night, the bus was long but easier if we dont have enough time to black cat the ski bags.
Forwarding on the bags then catching the trains x 3 to Myoko is next best option.
I dont think Id be too keen dragging bags and kids on the trains. Thankfully those days are passed with kids..
We love Myoko, .There are so many other ski locations to experience. Im sure we will return again one day..

Upvote 0

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Best option depends on personal preference, what your accommodation provides and how accommodating your accommodation is.

Seriously catching the shuttle from the airport and arriving at 2 or 3 am is not endearing to your accommodation.

Nor is arriving with a car at 4 am with no notice and demanding a non existant car park you have not previously checked up on. And then refusing to help the lodge manager dig out a car space for you.

Nor is needing to be picked up at the train station at 3 am because the taxi is 2wd and cannot get uphill from route 18.

And do not expect your accommodation to pick you up from one of the sleezy bars in the village when you are blind drunk and incapable of walking.

All these are things that have actually happened to us.

We know how full the shuttles get and instead shuttle our guests around. But it is not an on demand service. You are expected to be reasonable and make prior arrangements, even if the prior arrangement is that you will call after a set time.

Well , I read this with disbelief .
Do you know why the industry is called hospitality ?
The last paragraph really irked me ......... This is what separates professionals from people who THINK that GUESTS should be more understanding .
All of the above has also happened to me ,but with a very different outcome .
How dare a guest expect that a lodge manager should be available when they're wanted/needed .

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using