Advice needed Myoko Jan 2023

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Hi All, first time posting but I have read quite a bit already but given the climate with covid I figure things may have changed some. Please help point me in the right direction as I have so many questions!

We have decided to go to Myoko in Jan 2023, we started looking for this years ski season but it was just too iffy! Our family consists of 2 adults and 3 children. 1 Adult is a pretty decent skier but it is probably 20 years since he has been on powder, the other adult (myself) has only been skiing a couple of years and only just going parallel through my turns. 10 and 12 year old are better skiers than me and comfortable on intermediate runs, 7 year old was just making it down green runs before skiing in Australia stopped 2 years ago. We should get a week in NZ and another couple of weeks in Aus this season so hopefully some skills come back/improve.

So to my brain dump of eclectic questions:
Which resorts will be best for a family, from the resort maps most looked to be fairly beginner-friendly?

Accommodation, any recommendations? We preferably would like a kitchen as my kids have some dietary requirements that might not be easily catered for and we are not sure if we will be able to eat out.

We were thinking of taking our ski's over but someone mentioned that we may be better off hiring ski's more suited to the conditions?

We were thinking it might be best to hire a car, would hiring a car at the airport and dring over be a bad idea? what would be a better idea?

The 7 year old probably needs some ski school time while we are there, I only found one place that spoke english, and they only did the full day are there other options?

Happy for all and any advice.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Hi All, first time posting but I have read quite a bit already but given the climate with covid I figure things may have changed some. Please help point me in the right direction as I have so many questions!

Happy for all and any advice.
Q. Which resorts will be best for a family, from the resort maps most looked to be fairly beginner-friendly?

A. They all are. Best for kids IMO - Akakura Onsen and Ikenotaira Onsen.

Q. Accommodation, any recommendations? We preferably would like a kitchen as my kids have some dietary requirements that might not be easily catered for and we are not sure if we will be able to eat out.

A. I'd recommend Red Warehouse (which I used to run and set up explicitly for families). If they don't have anything PM me for options (I help book for a few local places) or look here. If you have a car then you can stay anywhere you want. Would also recommend Myoko House for a family.

Q. We were thinking of taking our ski's over but someone mentioned that we may be better off hiring ski's more suited to the conditions?

A. If your skis are good for powder, take them. If you don't mind paying to rent skis then there are a few options available. Some will let you swap skis depending on conditions.

Q. We were thinking it might be best to hire a car, would hiring a car at the airport and dring over be a bad idea? what would be a better idea?

A. Definitely a good idea, especially if you have kids because you can drop kids until 9.30-10.00 then you don't want to be hanging around waiting for shuttles. You can also save the train fares from Tokyo plus have day trip options. I've found rentalcars.com give a good price or some other options here.

Q. The 7 year old probably needs some ski school time while we are there, I only found one place that spoke english, and they only did the full day are there other options?

A. There's a few options. Go Myoko and Myoko Snowsports both have English speaking staff and can highly recommend both through personal experience of my son's lessons.

Good luck - enjoy!

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
We used Nagano snow shuttle, from airport, great service to the door, less hassle with bags ect. Will use again.
Myoko shuttle (coaster bus) I would not recommend, if its running as Sandy said it gets very crowded, you need to carry skis ect on a crowded hot bus.
Theres nothing like waiting for your own pick up at selected time, no lining up and or waiting in the cold for the next bus.
If you do use the shuttle I suggest finishing by 2.30 - 3pm. With young ones. Like a plenty of others we have been several times, happy for a PM.
Myoko Kogan is a great spot, The train ride from Myoko Kogan to Nagano is worth a day trip.
Also Myoko to Joetsu.

Thanks for the day trip advice, I hadn't even thought about that yet! the shuttle with 3 kids is not sounding appealing right now haha.

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Best option depends on personal preference, what your accommodation provides and how accommodating your accommodation is.

Seriously catching the shuttle from the airport and arriving at 2 or 3 am is not endearing to your accommodation.

Nor is arriving with a car at 4 am with no notice and demanding a non existant car park you have not previously checked up on. And then refusing to help the lodge manager dig out a car space for you.

Nor is needing to be picked up at the train station at 3 am because the taxi is 2wd and cannot get uphill from route 18.

And do not expect your accommodation to pick you up from one of the sleezy bars in the village when you are blind drunk and incapable of walking.

All these are things that have actually happened to us.

We know how full the shuttles get and instead shuttle our guests around. But it is not an on demand service. You are expected to be reasonable and make prior arrangements, even if the prior arrangement is that you will call after a set time.

Some people have no idea that lodge managers have more to do than be at the beck and call of guests 24 hours a day.
Luckily for us and our accommodation, no one is going to be up or going anywhere in the early hours of the morning, getting silly drunk or even awake after 9pm :)

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
Q. Which resorts will be best for a family, from the resort maps most looked to be fairly beginner-friendly?

A. They all are. Best for kids IMO - Akakura Onsen and Ikenotaira Onsen.

Q. Accommodation, any recommendations? We preferably would like a kitchen as my kids have some dietary requirements that might not be easily catered for and we are not sure if we will be able to eat out.

A. I'd recommend Red Warehouse (which I used to run and set up explicitly for families). If they don't have anything PM me for options (I help book for a few local places) or look here. If you have a car then you can stay anywhere you want. Would also recommend Myoko House for a family.

Q. We were thinking of taking our ski's over but someone mentioned that we may be better off hiring ski's more suited to the conditions?

A. If your skis are good for powder, take them. If you don't mind paying to rent skis then there are a few options available. Some will let you swap skis depending on conditions.

Q. We were thinking it might be best to hire a car, would hiring a car at the airport and dring over be a bad idea? what would be a better idea?

A. Definitely a good idea, especially if you have kids because you can drop kids until 9.30-10.00 then you don't want to be hanging around waiting for shuttles. You can also save the train fares from Tokyo plus have day trip options. I've found rentalcars.com give a good price or some other options here.

Q. The 7 year old probably needs some ski school time while we are there, I only found one place that spoke english, and they only did the full day are there other options?

A. There's a few options. Go Myoko and Myoko Snowsports both have English speaking staff and can highly recommend both through personal experience of my son's lessons.

Good luck - enjoy!
Great info thanks, we decided to go with Myoko House. The car situation seems to really divide people its either 100% or 100% against haha, I think we will sit on it for a little while and look at the cost closer to going, if the borders actually open.

Upvote 0

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Great info thanks, we decided to go with Myoko House. The car situation seems to really divide people its either 100% or 100% against haha, I think we will sit on it for a little while and look at the cost closer to going, if the borders actually open.
You went direct I hope, not through booking.com

Upvote 0

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The 100% against a car.
Are people who haven't had a car.

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
1659691900826.png
Huge news. Akakura Kanko is stopping use of the Champion 1 Quad for next season. That's insanity. It's how many skiers access Akakura Kanko from Akakura Onsen Village. They'll be revealing why next Monday.

Hopefully it's the news that it will be the site of a new gondola to Ikenotaira and Suginohara.

2022年の冬季よりチャンピオン第一クワッドが運休となります。

赤倉観光リゾートより運休について説明会を行いますので

日時:2022年8月22日(月)10時30分より

Reactions: Tanuki
Upvote 0

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
1659691900826.png
Huge news. Akakura Kanko is stopping use of the Champion 1 Quad for next season. That's insanity. It's how many skiers access Akakura Kanko from Akakura Onsen Village. They'll be revealing why next Monday.

Hopefully it's the news that it will be the site of a new gondola to Ikenotaira and Suginohara.

After the season? If they built that gondola it would a true game changer. is it on the plans?

Upvote 0

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
After the season? If they built that gondola it would a true game changer. is it on the plans?
The quad lift is not operating THIS season. So if something was afoot you'd reckon it might start before the season. But it's only pure speculation on my behalf. I've taken it up with various powerbrokers and politicians in years past. Even had a ski lift construction company rep looking at topo maps with me. A major development is taking place between Ikenotaira and Suginohara (Singaporean money) so hopefully that might get things moving.

Reactions: Tanuki
Upvote 0

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
1659691900826.png

The quad lift is not operating THIS season. So if something was afoot you'd reckon it might start before the season. But it's only pure speculation on my behalf. I've taken it up with various powerbrokers and politicians in years past. Even had a ski lift construction company rep looking at topo maps with me. A major development is taking place between Ikenotaira and Suginohara (Singaporean money) so hopefully that might get things moving.
During the last two COVID seasons, quite a few lifts have not been running.
I had assumed it was to minimise the costs for various mountains when few people were around, particularly mid week.

Examples off the top of my head:
Hakuba: 2nd double top of Goryu, Iwatake, park chair at top + both quads at the bottom(one has been taken out), one of two doubles below Happo Gondola, park chair, most the bottom chairs at Tsugaike, No.5 at Cortina.
Shiga Kogen: Terakoya(both), Hasuike, 4th chair Ichinose Family, Quad chair at Prince East, double at Prince South.

Upvote 0

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I'll hopefully know more on Monday after there's a local meeting. I understand some lifts being closed but that's a crucial one for skiers who want to access Akakura Kanko from the Akakura village side. It adds a long walk down the hill (or shuttle).

Upvote 0

Lindyplus3

Early Days
Mar 31, 2022
I'll hopefully know more on Monday after there's a local meeting. I understand some lifts being closed but that's a crucial one for skiers who want to access Akakura Kanko from the Akakura village side. It adds a long walk down the hill (or shuttle).
Look forward to hearing more, it was appealing to have access to both resorts though I guess we wont know any different being the first time.

Upvote 0

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Thanks MG. That wil have a huge affect on anyone staying in the village. It;s quite a hike to the car park and gondola every morning to get started.

I can only guess it's because it isn't used much, except at the start of everyone's day (and beginnners).
Myoko Snowsports have set up their base around there so not sure what they'll be doing. I imagine they're against the whole proposal.

Can a gondola be installed between now and December? Would seem a big task with not much time.

Is it possible the Kanko tickets will include one ride on the Onsen side to get started each day? then scoot over to next quad (the name escapes me - we had different names for each lift/run).

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Can a gondola be installed between now and December? Would seem a big task with not much time.

Is it possible the Kanko tickets will include one ride on the Onsen side to get started each day? then scoot over to next quad (the name escapes me - we had different names for each lift/run).
Not a hope in hell on either count.

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using