Myoko & Madarao thread 2014/15

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
It isn't in the village but the giant Akakura Kanko hotel in the middle of the resort has a great bakery and cafe. Worth a stop if you're sliding past and need to fill the tank.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Powder Recon shop
Cafe at the bottom of the Akakura Sky Cable
Possibly the new cafe at the back of Myoko Snowsports

Next time better include a coffee enquiry when booking. ;)

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
4 more sleeps till we arrive! Are the many public onsens in Myoko or mostly private ones attached to accommodations?

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tamworth
I hope this doesn't sound too "latte ish", but can anyone recommend a good coffee in the myoko village? I can do without most western things, but I'm having coffee withdrawals and the cans aren't doing it for me.....
In Akakura Onsen, MSS have recently opened "Panorama" restaurant and Cafe. On the main road, just up from the PO.
Trained baristas, and triffic service.
Best service on the mountain, by far!

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Had a great couple of days at Akakura! :) Heading over to Sugi today. Been told it's supposed to snow 1.5m over the next 72 hours :eek:
In Togura/Nagano now, heading out to myoko in a few hours. Looks like we might be copping it when we arrive..

Joliver

Hard Yards
Apr 26, 2014
A very big thank you to all those who contribute to this forum, we had an awesome trip to Myoko and really appreciate the tips and suggestions. I love Japan, love the snow and was really taken with Myoko as a first-timer to this region. Shhh, don't tell anyone else how awesome it is.

So sad that its over now! But, already planning the next trip.... ;-)

PS. our favourite bar was the cosy Avaya and our favourite restaurant was the izakaya on the left side corner at the top of the main street, first door on left. Duh, didn't get its name.

Last edited:
Reactions: M_G

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
A very big thank you to all those who contribute to this forum, we had an awesome trip to Myoko and really appreciate the tips and suggestions. I love Japan, love the snow and was really taken with Myoko as a first-timer to this region. Shhh, don't tell anyone else how awesome it is.

So sad that its over now! But, already planning the next trip.... ;-)

PS. our favourite bar was the cosy Avaya and our favourite restaurant was the izakaya on the left side corner at the top of the main street, first door on left. Duh, didn't get its name.
Akatako. Im guessing anyway. With the wee baby on mums back?? Place is amazing!! made sure i tipped every night as they were just lovely people and such amazing food. The homemade umeshu was great too!

Reactions: Joliver

Joliver

Hard Yards
Apr 26, 2014
Akatako. Im guessing anyway. With the wee baby on mums back?? Place is amazing!! made sure i tipped every night as they were just lovely people and such amazing food. The homemade umeshu was great too!

Yes that is the one! Baby Rin was too cute, we had a terrific night with Rin's grandparents, aunt & friends who were there to celebrate the opening one night. The cracked pepper edamame & grilled tofu was divine! Such a beautiful place and such a lovely family! I hope they have great success this season, they only open in winter.

Reactions: M_G

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Not Manny but this should whet the appetite, from a while back. Just another boring day in Myoko
image.jpg

Reactions: Dave6

buckcompton

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2013
Planning on going back to Japan (3rd time) maybe next year. We have been to Hakuba that last two times we have been.

Im keen to try else where and Myoko could be a goer. How does the mountains here compare to Hakuba.

The things i love about Hakuba are;
1) Numerous mountains close together & easy to get to
2) Long runs (8km?) & numerous runs to choose from.
3) Steep runs.

I know Myoko is more traditional Japanese which will be fine. I just want to know how the mountains compare to Hakuba? If Myoko isnt similar, where else in Honshu are mountains similar Hakuba?

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Planning on going back to Japan (3rd time) maybe next year. We have been to Hakuba that last two times we have been.

Im keen to try else where and Myoko could be a goer. How does the mountains here compare to Hakuba.

The things i love about Hakuba are;
1) Numerous mountains close together & easy to get to
2) Long runs (8km?) & numerous runs to choose from.
3) Steep runs.

I know Myoko is more traditional Japanese which will be fine. I just want to know how the mountains compare to Hakuba? If Myoko isnt similar, where else in Honshu are mountains similar Hakuba?
In my opinion the Myoko resorts satisfy points 1 and 2 but very little of point 3.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Pretty long runs at Akakura & Sugi, but hardly any steep inbounds terrain. More snow though & your choice of 4 resorts reachable in under 40 mins.

Reactions: JA2340

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Just got back from Joetsu - been to our fav all you can eat restaurant - and as is often the case when it is raining on Route 18, turn off to head up the mountain and it is snow. Temp was 0 but the snow was settling nicely. So tomorrow morning could be good.

Addicted2Snow

Hard Yards
May 31, 2005
Qld Australia
After missing out on a Japan trip the last 2 seasons, I've got a chance to get away from work mid March and what to come and have a look at what Myoko has to offer (after being to Hakuba a couple of times previously).
A couple of questions, is it going to be worthwhile that time of the season. I know nobody can forecast the conditions, but historically is the 3rd week of March still going to be ok and yes I'm not expecting ideal mid winter conditions with fresh on the ground every other day. Secondly, does anyone have any accommodation recommendations for a solo traveler (feel free to PM)?
Cheers.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
We've had some very good snow around then and other times not. To be honest I'd be increasing my chances and looking at Hokkaido options.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Ask @gareth_oau about end of March at Myoko. They were very lucky last year and had fresh snow.

It was raining horribly as we left Tokyo on the weekend of 20th March.

By the time we arrived in Myoko it was snowing quite nicely.

When we went out the next morning, we'd had close to 40cm overnight. It was a bit heavy, but great conditions for that time of the year, (and also for me as a beginner skier)

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
After missing out on a Japan trip the last 2 seasons, I've got a chance to get away from work mid March and what to come and have a look at what Myoko has to offer (after being to Hakuba a couple of times previously).
A couple of questions, is it going to be worthwhile that time of the season. I know nobody can forecast the conditions, but historically is the 3rd week of March still going to be ok and yes I'm not expecting ideal mid winter conditions with fresh on the ground every other day. Secondly, does anyone have any accommodation recommendations for a solo traveler (feel free to PM)?
Cheers.
hokkaido

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It was raining horribly as we left Tokyo on the weekend of 20th March.

By the time we arrived in Myoko it was snowing quite nicely.

When we went out the next morning, we'd had close to 40cm overnight. It was a bit heavy, but great conditions for that time of the year, (and also for me as a beginner skier)

Would have been blower powder at the top of Shiga Kogen.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
actually dont book accom till a few days out when you can see the forecast and make a decision where to go.

argento

Hard Yards
Jul 30, 2012
^^^

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Contrary to the weather reports saying we will have rain there is a little fresh snow this morning. Had settled on the upper side of tree branches. And it is slowly getting heavier and starting to settle on rooves and the road now. This weekend may be quite nice with just a little fresh snow.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass