1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Myoko or Madarao

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Michelle Snow, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Michelle Snow

Michelle Snow First Runs

hey! First time posting here- so glad I’ve come across this forum as I’ve been struggling to decide whether to take my family (husband and three kids) to Myoko or Mandarao. All good skiers. Wanting to stay ski in ski out if possible but also be able to walk into town. Want a Japanese Village experience! Wondering if you stay in Mandarao if you can ski in/out and still walk into village? Any feedback on either resort or accommodation options would be most helpful!!! Thanks in advance!

2. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve been to Myoko - and it’s a yes to all your questions. I chose Myoko over madarao because there are multiple resorts close to each other, so advanced skiers won’t get bored.

3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Myoko best suits. Madarao doesn't have a village. :p
    You can do a day trip to Madarao from Myoko.

4. Rowdy1

Rowdy1 Hard Yards

We are a family of 5 and based ourselves in Myoko last January. It's a good village and has an excellent ski school/rental. We had a car and went to all the surrounding resorts, including Madarao ,Nozawa and Lotte, Suginohara, ikenotaira, Akakura. I think it's a great place to base a family. At suginohara Kids under 13 yrs old ski free and you get a further discount if you are a prince member.

5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Agree with all the above.

Myoko is the go.

But do hire a car and visit the local resorts - Madarao, Ikenotaira and Suginohara are all close and worth a day at least.

We did a day trip to Shiga Kogen from Myoko, it’s quite a bit further but was well worth a day trip for mine. It’ll give you a taste of so many places and spark ideas or “no go” for future visits.

Car is relatively easy in Japan, just request winter tyres and 4wd if possible. You can collect locally, so no need to negotiate Tokyo.

skinik and Ozgirl like this.
  6. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

If you want a 'Japanese village' experience then check Akakura Onsen (which is the most popular ski part of 'Myoko'). Ikenotaira Onsen is becoming a fair alternative.Madarao was only built in the 1980's. Nice but won't give you the same feel.

When are you intending to come? Mid-late Jan is already getting very busy!

PM me if you need some help booking. I do bookings for Red Warehouse (great for families), Snow Frog and a few other locally owned places.

skinik, skifree and elSpike like this.
  7. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

Another vote for Myoko (and Akakura in particular) for you and your family. Wife and two boys loved it so much last year we are back again this season.

Can also recommend taking up @M_G on the offer of finding accommodation. Great advice and often can find room when everything looks full!

skinik and M_G like this.
  8. M_G

And now we wait to see if she comes back...

nfip, Paradox, Zimbooo and 1 other person like this.
  9. DeskRider

DeskRider One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

They are close enough - easy to move. Would recommend a car, opens up a lot!!!

10. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

There really aren't too many forums around where sooo much knowledge and info is just hanging around hoping for a chance to help.

It's a little funny how casual searches find us, come in and ask for a some advice and then just disappear off into the ether - leaving a palpable sense of disappointment from those about to unleash their wealth of knowledge to organise the perfect solution to someones first Japan trip.....:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

We need to set up a travel services company with everyone here as shareholders :thumbs::thumbs:LOLLOL

skinik, Ozgirl, nfip and 6 others like this.
  11. M_G

She hasn't checked in since her first post.

I've become a bit more reluctant to jump in with first timers. Helped one via a phalanx of PM's about a month ago. She promised to come back to book a local friend's hotel. Then nothing. Imagined she just went and booked on bc. She hasn't been sighted back here since either. Not the first time either.

Good idea Paradox. I think the site needs some algorithm that requires people to unlock content after the initial snippet.

nfip likes this.
  12. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Really. We are not running a business here.

13. Mils

Mils One of Us

I appreciate the amount of info you give.

And while it might not help the OP.

It will help people who swing by like myself

Paradox, skivet, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  14. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Much preferred to any general social media platform. The Japan forum wins hands down on helpfulness though...Must be the same qualities that make ski travel (or any travel) there such a lovely experience....Cant wait to be back in Myoko/Noz/Shiga over January...

15. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Snow people are just generally awesome humans. I stand by this, and try to live by it also. I’ve been the recipient of much kindness in my own journey and if I can pay that forward then what an awesome ripple of joy of that is.

Paradox, nfip, Melskius and 4 others like this.
  16. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Oh relax, I wasn't being serious and M_G does a significant amount of work both in here and in the background helping people and has a right to be a little frustrated occasionally. He will still be one of the first to help out Michelle (if she comes back) or the next poster...

My comments were meant to be taken in the context that a professional services company could not match the awesomeness of this forum.

M_G likes this.
  17. Brendan Shanahan

Brendan Shanahan Hard Yards

I have spent plenty of time in both resorts. My personal preference is Madaro, but that is due to the riding, not the village. Madarao has a far more progressive approach to tree skiing, with summer glading done in large number of areas. The Myoko resorts are also very flat on the lower mountain, reducing the true rideable area considerably.

That said, Myoko village is definitely better. Both villages have significant western tourism in winter, but there are more options in Myoko for restaurants and onsens. The drive time between these resorts is only 30 minutes on a slow day, so don't rule out doing either some day trips (ask your accommodation to arrange transfers), or splitting up your stay with a few days in each resort.

Both resorts have accommodation options that are on the snow or a (very) short walk, so essentially ski in/out.

Either way, you will love it. Both are great.

Paradox likes this.
  18. M_G

Not a business. But would be nice to get free beer. :cheers:

Paradox likes this.
  19. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

I always leave a box of beer for you each visit.... don't you get it? :eek::eek:

I leave it with hot_saki, he says he always takes good care of it....:D:D

M_G likes this.
  20. M_G