Advice needed Myoko vs Shiga Kogen?

skidazza

Addicted
Jul 4, 2013
Planning my 2nd trip to Japan mid-Feb after our first adventure in Feb-2016 and looking for some thoughts/advice from those in the know.
Spent a week at Shiga Kogen at the Prince Hotel West with a buddy and the skiing was great. The accommodation was also pretty good for the price (around AUD100 each per night) but thinking of maybe trying somewhere else in Honshu this time - for a bit of variety and a few more eating/drinking options after the sun goes down.
Myoko has been suggested to me by several people I've spoken with in Oz (at Falls) and wondering how this compares to Shiga Kogen for a couple of intermediate skiers? Looks like it is just as easy to get to as Shiga so I'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts on pros/cons of Myoko vs Shiga and particularly suggestions for accommodation. Cheers.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
How long since you've been here Pete? Massive growth in places to eat/drink over the last two years.

@skidazza Shiga Kogen is a massive resort one ticket so that makes life easier. Myoko Kogen is spread over 7 resorts - none on a common ticket so you have to pick your resort each day. Shiga Kogen is fairly traditional with limited eating out options whereas Akakura Onsen has a fairly vibrant nightlife these days.

Yes, I can help with something (thanks for the mention @Crispy013 ) in mid-Feb or March but otherwise we're pretty much full. However can certainly hook you in with one of our friendly neighbours depending on your dates.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Myoko is great for intermediate skiers. Several of the resorts give you the opportunity to move further up the mountain as you improve.

Every year there seem to be more places to eat/drink.

Myoko Snowsports have a strong connection with falls Creek, which is probably why people from there have suggested Myoko.

It is easy to get to - change to another train at Nagano rather than a bus as for Shiga or Hakuba. Probably the hardest part is getting from the station to your accommodation if they don't do pick ups. Other issue is the shuttle bus between the 4 main resorts. Can be super crowded especially early and late. Best to find somewhere that will help you with these things.

Reactions: skidazza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Myoko was fun to ride but had limited places to eat and drink when I was there. Have you thought about Hakuba?
Myoko has plenty of places to eat and drink, especially if you stay at Akakura Onsen. Maybe not the bigger rowdy bars of Hakuba but there are still enough places to keep you busy for a week or more.

The skiing at Myoko is different to Shiga in that you need to rely on a shuttle bus or your own transport to get around to the various resorts. Also look at Nozawa, Hakuba and Naeba/Kagura as potential options.

spunk72

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2005
We have skiied in Honshu for a few years now, and are going back again in Feb. We always do a week in Shiga because it's our favourite, and then a week somewhere else. We did Myoko last year. This year we are going to Hakuba then Shiga. Myoko was really good and I enjoyed it very much, I am a inter skiier and my hubby boards, we have two kids that ski intermediate too and we all loved it. Myoko Snowsports was very helpful, and kids did their ski hire and lessons there. So so much snow and lots of fresh, be prepared for cold days. Our accom (Hotel Moc, which also was excellent and right across road from Gondy) provided a shuttle bus to the further away resorts like Suginohara (which was amazing). Enjoy!

Reactions: skivet and skidazza

skidazza

Addicted
Jul 4, 2013
How long since you've been here Pete? Massive growth in places to eat/drink over the last two years.

@skidazza Shiga Kogen is a massive resort one ticket so that makes life easier. Myoko Kogen is spread over 7 resorts - none on a common ticket so you have to pick your resort each day. Shiga Kogen is fairly traditional with limited eating out options whereas Akakura Onsen has a fairly vibrant nightlife these days.

Yes, I can help with something (thanks for the mention @Crispy013 ) in mid-Feb or March but otherwise we're pretty much full. However can certainly hook you in with one of our friendly neighbours depending on your dates.
Thanks @M_G . We would be arriving on Feb 22nd and departing Mar 1st. Do you have (or know of any) vacancy for a twin room on those dates?

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Second this!
We have been to Shiga 5 x now and back again in feb. it is such a diverse ski area for us groomed intermediates. We also tried Myoko Kogen last year as well and enjoyed it so much back again next year as well! Stayed at Hotel Moc as well.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: skidazza

Paradox

Addicted
Sep 21, 2016
The Myoko area has everything you need, especially if you stay in close to Akakan. Plenty of food and nightlife now, but don't expect a Niseko scene (thankfully). As mentioned it is a series of close resorts and you need to plan transport, if the budget allows I would highly recommend a hire car - it really does make a difference. But shuttles, taxis and the accommodation transport can all be made to work with only a little more patience.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass