Myokokogen 2012/13 thread: links, cams, info, etc.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
^ Based on my limited experience I would say mid-week would be OK but weekends may be a problem. Also be aware that in January there is a long weekend that is very busy.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Piste Again - I saw this post of yours while we were in Myoko. I attempted to comment then but our WiFi connection kept dropping out and I gave up.

Piste Again said:
We thoroughly enjoyed our week at Myoko. Some observations :

* We have NEVER seen snow like it. Insane quantities. My 14 year old ended up waist deep in powder on the edge of a beginner run!

I did this too. First run of our trip. Light was flat and I didn't know where I was going. Somehow ended up in waist deep powder on the cat-track between Kanko and Onsen. After struggling to extract myself I realise I only have one ski. Great - have not even completed one green run and have lost a ski already. Fortunately the ski was found with absolutely no help from my 13 yo girl who is killing herself laughing.

Piste Again said:
* I can't say enough good things about Myoko Snowsports. They picked us up to collect our rental gear and dropped us back to the lodge again afterwards, they stored our skis overnight for us to save lugging them on the bus, they were supremely helpful, my 6 year old's Myokoland lesson ended up almost entirely a 1-on-1 for the 5 days he was in, and their prices are astonishingly good.

MSS = Awesome. First day our 4 yo skied the Champion beginner lift. We did not believe her when she told us, but sure enough she had. By the end of our trip she had skied a lot of the Onsen area including the long red run off the quad chair.

Piste Again said:
* The on-mountain food is better and cheaper than in Oz (ok, not a difficult challenge)

This is funny. I was talking to a Japanese guy in the gondola and he was complaining about the price of the on-mountain food. I was happy to be paying 800 - 1000 yen for a pretty decent meal.

Piste Again said:
* The crowds. There simply aren't any. On a quiet day there's one person to every 7 or 8 chairs.

We actually found Myoko to be quite busy. We were there for a long weekend and crowds were as big as anything I have seen at Perisher. Mid-week was busier than I expected with quite a few Japanese skiers (as there should be). Also lots of Japanese school groups as well.

Piste Again said:
* As a beginner area, I'd say the adjacent Akakura Kanko and Onsen areas are tremendous. Heaps of variety of green terrain.

Agreed. We had some friends of ours who were not much more than beginners come along for the first week. Myoko was awesome for them. (As well as for our 4 yo).

Piste Again said:
* Hotel Windsor. Under $50 for 2 adults and 2 kids for entree and mains at dinner, with a couple of wines each and drinks for the kids, is great value. He does a hell of a sukiyaki under $90 for 4 people, with real beef. He also took the 4 of us to see the snow monkeys for 3000 yen/head and had us back at Myoko Snowsports a bit after 1.00 for an afternoon ski.

For our family of 4, eating out each night at different restaurants was usually around 5000 yen or ~ $55, including a beer or two.

Piste Again said:
On the downside :

* I'd say that there's not a lot of good intermediate terrain if you don't like dodging through trees. At Kanko and Onsen we ran out of new red (ie blue) runs to explore very quickly - Thredbo probably has more decent intermediate runs than both Akakura resorts put together.

Agreed. Would be perfect if Kanko had maybe a dozen more red and black runs. Myoko is a bit strange in that there are a lot of lifts but very few runs.

It looks like there is an unused chair that goes higher up the mountain above Champion 3 lift. It would be good if this was put back in service.

I think the lack of intermediate terrain is compensated by regularly having good snow to ski on. I think to get the most out of Myoko you need to be a competent tree skier.

Piste Again said:
* Taking the shuttle over to Sugi is a bit of a PITA. With a kid in ski class from 9, the next shuttle leaves at 9.30 and you can be heading up in the gondola by about 10.15. The last bus back to pick up said kid by 3.30 leaves at 3, so realistically you get a maximum of about 4 1/2 hours there, less lunch.

We were lucky. Our hotel owner saw us waiting for the bus and gave us a lift over to Suginohara. Only took about 15 minutes. Would like to have spent more time at Sugi.

Piste Again said:
* My 14-year-old taking to referring to these forums as "old farts' facebook". I'm gonna get her back for that!

Will we go back? Yeah I reckon, so long as the dance party isn't the thin edge of the bogan wedge.

And it was nice to meet a couple of fellow forum members during the week. More in fact than I normally see in a weekend at Thredbo.

Oh, and a big thanks to Nora and Michael, our hosts for the week, for putting us up and for putting up with us.
beer.gif

We would go back as well. It won't be next year - we will wait until our youngest is a bit older.

For accommodation I can recommend the Central Hotel. Great location - almost ski-in/out and close to the Akakura Onsen village.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Mrstr_Chief said:
Oh man, next Jan can not come sooner...

Would it be too risky to book accommodation a few days out? (Mid Jan 2014), plan to fit in a few days sightseeing around Kyoto/Tokyo but would prefer to schedule the skiing around what the charts are doing..

I'd book something on booking.com then you can change/cancel it at short notice. Mid-Jan can still be a bit busy though so you will be taking a chance. But you will find something for sure.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Dave6 said:
I think the lack of intermediate terrain is compensated by regularly having good snow to ski on. I think to get the most out of Myoko you need to be a competent tree skier.

Yep - I think that's definitely true. I'd like to see some slightly steeper powder without trees for people like us to get the hang of the powder without the risk of hitting something when it goes pear-shaped.

And a dozen more red and easy black runs!

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
^ The Champion A run was great on a powder day. All the bumps were filled in and it has plenty of width and steepness. You did need to be early though as the good stuff got chopped up pretty quick.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
We didn't do the "A" run as it looked very bumpy other than after a dump.

It could be good in fresh snow, but not having skied powder before we decided that maybe something in between the almost-flat sides of the green runs at the bottom and the gnarly black would be nice to practice on before diving in the deep end.

RunDLC

Hard Yards
Nov 20, 2012
Heading across the valley to Tangram (and Madarao) can give a few more options at the intermediate/advanced end of the scale.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Yeah - next time we might rent a car so we can mix up the resorts a bit. Even Suginohara was a bit of a PITA with the shuttle bus (though well worth the trip).

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Totally not relevant to this thread JK.
nono.gif

Hahahaha.

But I do love this song.
thumbsup.gif
Still have the DVD from years ago. Might watch it when I get home tonight.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Junior

Hard Yards
May 19, 2002
Melbourne
Rode Sugi this morning. Bottom half of the mountain was light snow and poor vis. The top lift was above the clouds so it was sunny up there! Some warm temps coming up on Friday followed by more snow.

jorgo

Hard Yards
Jun 22, 2007
Junior said:
Rode Sugi this morning. Bottom half of the mountain was light snow and poor vis. The top lift was above the clouds so it was sunny up there! Some warm temps coming up on Friday followed by more snow.

We were there too, didnt spot you. Found some more slack country gems. The more we ride there the more we like it. If there was no school group or army training it would have been empty!

Peejay

Hard Yards
May 11, 2005
Adelaide
Starting to get excited! Leave next Monday for ten days in Myoko, Madarao Tangram, Togakushi and hopefully will fit in a trip to Nozawa.

Had a nice surprise when going through my passport folder and found 43,000 yen I had left there from last season. Will top up tomorrow as exchange rate just hit 95.

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
M_G said:
Mrstr_Chief said:
Oh man, next Jan can not come sooner...

Would it be too risky to book accommodation a few days out? (Mid Jan 2014), plan to fit in a few days sightseeing around Kyoto/Tokyo but would prefer to schedule the skiing around what the charts are doing..

I'd book something on booking.com then you can change/cancel it at short notice. Mid-Jan can still be a bit busy though so you will be taking a chance. But you will find something for sure.

Cheers for the advice M_G & Dave6

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
M_G said:
Totally not relevant to this thread JK.
nono.gif

ptttfffft.

Not relevant? Like I GAF.
DeadHorse.gif

As if something posted by little ole JK would break the forum space/time continuum.
smile.gif

Brother borrowed an original VHS copy of The Wall and the tape came back chewed up right at this song. FML.

I wanna thank yourself M_G again for directing me to this place. Is anywhere ready for me? Well, the Furura wasn't apparently. The sign in the onsen said: no clothes and no shoes. Nowhere did the sign say no bombing. Oh well.

And boy, did they so not understand the chikito-chocolate-bar-in-the-onsen prank. Geez, talk about no sense of humor.

And Tom from MSS. Once again, nailed the ski equipment perfectly. I've said it ad-nausium before...I hire skis all over the place and I don't know if it's the skis or the Myoko snow (or both) but my skiing skill always climbs up a notch when I'm here. Thanks again.

To Satomi, the most bogan-tolerant host that ever lived. Thank you for you kindness and patience. And her husband who shall remain nameless, for tirelessly clearing the snow around the ALP and generally tieing up the loose ends. Thank you!

And the folks at the Furura. Thanks for a wonderful couple of days stay while they sanitised my room at the ALP. Once again, I apologise for the damage to to the bed sheets. Please understand that it seemed like a good idea at the time.

And also Amy. Wonderful Amy! Anywhere else I travel, I never feel like I'm in safer hands. Thank you very much!

And lastly, skichanger. Yes, you are totally m8d. But that's A O K!

Thank you ball-boys, umpires and players!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

AJC13B

First Runs
May 6, 2004
Sydney
8 days, 11 hours and 30 minutes till we're on a plane

But who's counting??
shocked.gif

muzzlington

First Runs
Jan 25, 2013
JoeKing said:
skichanger said:
Phhht I resemble that remark!

:cheers:

So long and thanks for all the fish beer!

:)

Hey Joe,

Were you the guy in the sequined australia flag singlet + white lacy g-banger at the Windsor hotel on Australia day?

aka: Sparkles
aka: Ginger

?

Muzzlington

RyanM

First Runs
Jun 1, 2012
VIC, Australia
www.linkedin.com
Amazing morning at Sugi today with Junior, muzzlington and another buddy. Brilliant weather; sunny and great vis. Had fun ripping down the groomers and hitting the Aussie-style slushy powder in the trees. Had a run through the huge park which is looking incredible, heaps of interesting features. Topped off with a katsu curry and a beer for lunch, followed by a soak in the onsen... Couldn't ask for much more. Heaven.

8432393664_cd5f09259c_b.jpg

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Great photo RyanM.Are all the piste signs in Japanese?Thats going to freak my sister out.The irony of that is she boards(ie is homestay not snowboarding)Japanese students but hasnt bothered to learn any of the language.

Junior

Hard Yards
May 19, 2002
Melbourne
hotsaki said:
Great photo RyanM.Are all the piste signs in Japanese?Thats going to freak my sister out.The irony of that is she boards(ie is homestay not snowboarding)Japanese students but hasnt bothered to learn any of the language.

They are in Japanese, but if you have a copy of the trail map, it's not difficult to work out where you're going, there's only a few lifts. For intermediates you'll be happy starting out with a couple of laps of the gondola, nice long groomers. imo the best terrain is off the top lift, so many natural features to hit and some sweet trees to ride.

RyanM

First Runs
Jun 1, 2012
VIC, Australia
www.linkedin.com
hotsaki said:

Across the 4 resorts (Akakura Onsen, Akakura Kanko, Ikenotaira and Suginohara) there is a mixture of signs with Japanese and English together, and Japanese only. As Junior said though, each resort doesn't have many chairs, so with a trail map it's very easy to work out where you are and where you're supposed to be going. You don't need a trail map to know where you're not supposed to go either :)

I can't read kanji (M_G?), but that sign you can see on the tree in the photo is saying something about "1855m" and "ski." Just general info about the run (how high it is), i.e., your sister doesn't need to worry about reading signs like that :)

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Let it be said that my Japanese sucks BUT it says "Suginohara ski area" on the right and "1855m" at the bottom left. I can't really read 3 of the top 4 characters on the left. Second one down is kogen (highland). The fourth one down (I think) is kuro (black)

But, hey, if you have a ski trail map it's pretty easy to sort.

2nd_String_QB

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Slight change to our plans (I'm not sure if we're keeping an updated crew list now the season is in full swing).

Myself and 7y.o kid - March 6th to 13th. I'll be on my own most days so keen to catch up with anyone still around then.

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
muzzlington said:
JoeKing said:
skichanger said:

beer.gif

So long and thanks for all the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">fish</span> beer!

smile.gif

Hey Joe,

Were you the guy in the sequined australia flag singlet + white lacy g-banger at the Windsor hotel on Australia day?

aka: Sparkles
aka: Ginger

?

Muzzlington

I don't recall, Your Honor.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
JoeKing said:
skichanger said:

beer.gif

So long and thanks for all the <span style="text-decoration: line-through">fish</span> beer!

smile.gif

Yeah but you will be back the dolphins were leaving for good.

Just watch out for those white mice though.

42 - base 13

Musgrove

One of Us
Apr 22, 2004
Canberra
We went into a fairly cool outdoor/ski shop just near the station in Nagano. Its on the second floor. If you go out the opposite side of the station to the buses its up the street to your left. Has a Lawson under it from memory. It has plenty of ski gear. Prices are comparable to Oz but not what I would call bargain level. It has some great climbing gear and clothing. All far to small for me...

RyanM

First Runs
Jun 1, 2012
VIC, Australia
www.linkedin.com
hotsaki said:
Yes size could well be the problem.Me and my mate are about 9 and ten shoe size.Not huge but not small either.

I doubt you'll have a problem with size 9/10. I'm a size 13 and had to visit just about every shop in the ski gear district in Tokyo until finally a guy who asked me to wait and disappeared for 20 minutes came back with a stack of boots (old stock) from their warehouse - size 12, 12.5, 13 and 13.5. What a bloke!

Anyway while I was doing that, most shop attendants told me they had up to size 10. Sports Depot is pretty big so you should be alright.

RyanM

First Runs
Jun 1, 2012
VIC, Australia
www.linkedin.com
Bad weather the last few days, probably the worst of the season so far. I went for a drive on Saturday and couldn't see more than 10 metres in front of me. Went for a ride yesterday and around the middle of the mountain it was the same thing - I felt like I was riding into the abyss! Once you got below the cloud it was alright though.

Snow forecast for this evening and the next few days though, which is nice considering we just had a couple of friends arrive.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Just got back last night, what an awesome place. Cheers to everyone who gave advice to us (me + PiedPiper). Apart from last Sunday being pretty busy (expected) we had 4 days of fresh snow and virtually no lift lines. But, pretty happy to be getting out of Myoko when the rain came on Saturday just gone.

Schedule of proceedings:
Saturday - Night session at Onsen
Sunday - Akakan
Monday - Ikenotaira
Tuesday - Seki Onsen
Wednesday + Friday - Sugi
Thurday - Onsen -&gt; Akakan

Seki was easily my favourite day. (very) limited vis but I honestly couldn't care when there is a foot of fresh on the ground. So much amazing terrain can be accessed from the bottom lift. I'm very much leaning to quality vs. vertical in my lifts now. Out of interest does anyone know an instructor over there, A bearded Japanese guy who speaks very good English and is always stoked? He recorded me throwing myself off one of the bigger drops under the main lift.

Unfortunately they closed the top lift at Sugi on Friday right after we found the top bowl, only the one run in there but it would be sensational with fresh snow. Reminded me of glacier at Blackcomb, maybe not quite as gnarly.

I'm not sure if we bumped into any of you guys around the place, there was a group of about 13 Aussies of mixed skills staying with us at Annex (Takano and his staff are awesome by the way). We skipped the Aussie day celebrations to get out boarding and be fresh for the morning. If any of you saw a couple of helmeted blokes on boards, one of us all black (me) and one with beige/brown that would have been us. I have a heap of pictures and footage to go through so I'll post some stuff in the next few days.

I'm very glad I got footage, it really started to sink in just how amazing the place is when I watched some of it from the comfort of my own PC last night.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
I also overheard and Australian saying that to keep the bogans away they should avoid having &quot;doof doof&quot; parties. It sounded suspiciously like what someone said in this thread. Heh.

I think my biggest westerner moment was breaking the flush on a loo at Sugi...it started to flush and then *snap*. I'd like to think it was due to go...

Also, getting lost in the trees and popping out right under the Gondola (in front of ski patrol) was pretty embarrassing. I think they let it go because I said I was sorry and lost (truth).

Favorite place for a drink was easily the skate bar across the road from the Akakura hotel. As for meals we found the lunches on the mountain to be the highlight. The Negitoro Don at the base of Sugi was probably my favorite.

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
blowfin it might've been Masa(Masanori Takeuchi) - a well-known Japanese snowboarder whose home area is Seki. Also runs the cat tours.

masaphoto-5.jpg

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Hmmm It doesn't look like him, he was a Skiier (at least when we saw him). I think maybe part of the Salomon Ski team? He was doing some private lessons in the afternoon. Very tall chap. I think he's in some of the Seki vids on youtube, might require me to do a bit of trawling to find them though.

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
blowfin said:
I also overheard and Australian saying that to keep the bogans away they should avoid having &quot;doof doof&quot; parties. It sounded suspiciously like what someone said in this thread. Heh.

Oops.

fart.gif

PiedPiper

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Well i guess Blowfin has said it all, not much need for me to postr anything except maybe my little edit when it's done!

Love Myoko though, annex was great place to Stay, aweseom skate bar is awesome.

Soooo much snow, ( tho to be honest not as liught and fluffy as i had imagined) - hey i gotta find something to pick about

Macgyver

First Runs
Jan 17, 2012
Adelaide
Hi all,
Is there an up to date crew list?
If so put me on it. I will be in Myoko from the 26th of Feb. Probably be there for 5-6 days. This will will be my first ski trip to Japan so I'll probably be on here asking questions over the next couple of weeks.
Cheers,
Mac

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass