1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Myokokogen 2012/13 thread: links, cams, info, etc.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Nov 25, 2011.

1. RyanM

RyanM First Runs

Probably the worst conditions I've ridden all season at Kanko today. Most of the hill was super hard and icy, with nuggets scattered about. Had a light dusting overnight but not nearly enough for trees. Went to hit the jumps but they obviously haven't been shaped since the warm weather; shocking landings with big chunks taken out. Visibility was average. Only did about 4 laps before we called it.

Pumping down now though! So much for "light snow." Looking forward to tomorrow.

2. RyanM

RyanM First Runs

Spring time riding is definitely here. Sunny and slushy all day today, really good fun, a perfect day for trying new things in the park.

Last Sunday could be the last powder day we get! I hear March brings all conditions though, so perhaps not. The forecast is showing light snow this Sunday evening, hopefully that holds.

3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Two years ago the March conditions were amazing - like mid-January with lots of pow (whilst Feb was a little crap). Last year there were people riding fat skis in April! But to be quite honest, given how this year is panning out, I wouldn't hold out hope for much. Fingers crossed though!

4. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

After a couple of weeks transitioning back into work mode, I thought I might share some thoughts/experiences/comments on my recent trip to Myoko.

This was my 3rd consecutive trip to Japan (last 2 in Niseko), and so first one skiing the main island of Honshu. Based on reports from this forum, I eventually decided on Myoko and Nozawa Onsen split over 2 and a bit weeks.

Arrived in Myoko in late Jan to end of a pretty big dump that hit around Aus Day. Stayed at Windsor Lodge which was a great pension with a good bar/communal area set up. Lodge owners Yusan and Shigasan were more than helpful and really made the stay worthwhile. Unfortunately, it's a bit out of the way in terms of restaurants in the main town of Myoko Onsen, but luckily it has a shuttle bus stop right out the front and the Akakura Kanko gondola is only about 400m away.

My thoughts about the Myoko Onsen town is that it is not as westernised as Niseko by a longgggg way. Town and restaurants were pretty much deserted during the week and there is pretty much no nightlife - only one or two bars. In saying this, it's a great place to get the Japanese experience and eating out each night was a real adventure.

In terms of ski fields:

Akukura Kanko
    There are some nice steeps and tree runs to be had, but you have to be very careful as there are some nasty creeks, gullys and cliffs that are just off the piste runs. The lift layout is just TERRIBLE! So many times you have to unstrap to connect between lifts to reach the top or other side of the mountain. Despite the lifts, there is alot of fun to be had for a couple of days here.

Akukura Onsen
    Didn't venture too far into this resort (connected to Kanko) as what I found were a lot of very flat green runs. The only steeper section up the top is serviced by the slowest chair in the history of man kind. Only spent maybe a few hours here (illegally on the Kanko ticket [​IMG] )and that was enough - very much a beginners/family resort.

Ikenotaira
    Around the corner from the Kanko/Onsen resorts (15mins) and very much an intermediates mountain with also a big focus on the park. I wasn't very excited by the mountain at all with the pitch of pretty much all the runs being a easy-med intermediate. There are some good dashes to be had through trees, but give the place any real powder I'd say it's too flat to gain any speed. Maybe my bias about the place is that I had probably one of my worst skiing days there when it was about +4 deg and raining - lasted probably 2 hours.

Suginohara
    Definitely the best of the big four with so much potential to be had off the top of the mountain. Unfortunately from Kanko/Onsen its a frustrating 30-45mins on the shuttle bus as it goes on a ridiculous route (including dead ends requiring 3 point turns) getting you there after 9am. However, I did have a lot of fun through the trees and could easily spent more time there.

Seki Onsen
    Never made it to this so called gem, because frankly no one knew when the shuttle bus ran! Went to the Myoko Snow sports countless times and stood around the bus station on more than one occasion from 8 - 9am but never found the right bus. Definately one place I'd like to visit if I ever come back.

Overall some parting thoughts on Myoko
    <ul style="list-style-type: disc"><li> It's cheap! (Never paid more than 2500y for a day pass and dinner was never generally more than 2000y including drinks!)</li><li> It's empty (Even on weekends, was still finding untouched at 2pm - unthinkable in Niseko!)</li><li> It's a bit clunky (unconnected resorts on the same mountain, poor lift layout, shuttle bus route that makes no sense)</li><li> It can suffer from poor snow (Honshu unfortunately can get warm, and the lower parts of the mountain can be hit pretty bad)</li><li> Snow is pretty heavy - I'm guessing this is because of it's proximity to the Sea of Japan.</li></ul>
    Would I go again - maybe...maybe not. Unfortunately I take powder days over blue bird days and I only really had maybe 1 real powder day in about 10 that I was there for.

#1204 Crispy013, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hey crispy, we must have been at hotel windsor the same time. We were the cantankerous drunk couple :). Snow was bad everywhere including Niseko for m9st of that week. Snow was also relatively heavy that week but is definitely not always like the f.m.e. Just the week before was insanely deep and light.
    i agree with ur assessment on the various fields, and god damned it was cheap -$25 for a lift pass sheesh

6. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

So with the Yen riding high I'm thinking about a trip back to Japan next year, even though I'm still to ski Utah in just 11 days. [​IMG]

But the question is what has THIS season been like for Myoko ? Below average, average , above average ?

M_G, RyanM, skichanger ?? What's the feeling about this season so far ?

#1206 Born2ski, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. M_G

I haven't been there the whole season so others can tell better than me but from my vantage point it's been very inconsistent. A few good dumps with not a lot in between. Myoko is no loner though, I think that's been the story all over the shop and it's caused lots of problems with cracks, avalanches and mystery holes!

Can't see the yen improving against the A$ for awhile. Looks like the hordes will keep increasing.

8. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

This is my first full season in Myoko so I can't really compare to previous year but can comment on what I've experienced here.

As MG said, very inconsistent. Regular dumps of dry snow through the second half of December and all of January saw several powder days every week. The first week of Feb saw a full day of rain, then a freeze which turned the whole area into a solid block of ice. This only lasted a few days and then heavy snow returned

In late Feb was probably the most significant snowfall coupled with low temperatures...I reckon the base peaked at the end of February.

The last two weeks have been warmer (ie. some days over 10degs) with some rain and some wet snow. This morning it's already 10degs+, will rain this afternoon and hopefully turn to snow overnight. The next week looks like more warm temps &amp; sunny days. From what I'm hearing it's not usually quite this warm in the first half of March. I'm hoping for one more decent storm before the season is out!!

9. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Haven't seen a post from skichanger for quite a while. Are you still in Myoko sc?

10. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nah gone home but I will be back soon. Might try some spring skiing.

11. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Half your luck.

12. RyanM

RyanM First Runs

Junior pretty much summed it up. December and January were fantastic, loads of powder days and quite a few bluebirds. Nothing to complain about. It was a slow start to Feb snow-wise but boy did the following couple of weeks make up for that. Had a few days with more than enough snow to throw yourself off a cliff at Seki, stack and come out laughing (and I did). Since late Feb there has only been a few significant dumps and none of them were big enough for what you'd call a real powder day; you still hit the icy bumps underneath. It's also my first season here and what I'm hearing is that there has been an unusual amount of rain. Fingers crossed for another big dump but the forecast isn't looking promising.

I'm actually really enjoying the warm, sunny days now, although the snow can get very sticky, which is a bit annoying. It grabs your board and throws you around when you're travelling fast, and it's difficult to judge how much speed to take into park features (which could also be that I'm a dud in the park).

Thought we'd try our luck at one of our favourite spots in the trees at Sugi today. No good. Whilst trying to dodge giant ice nuggets, I hit one, got knocked onto my back, slid down the hill and scraped over another big chunk. OUCH.

[​IMG]

#1212 RyanM, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  13. Junior

Junior Hard Yards

Also observed what looks to have been a decent sized wet snow avi in the trees there.

#1213 Junior, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  14. JA2340

JA2340 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Jeeeze, Ryan - that looks like NOT fun! Hope it's healing well!

I was in Myoko Early January, and can confirm what Junior and Ryan have said. We stayed at Alp, true ski-out/ski-in and supremely helpful and knowledgeable hosts (Satomi-san and her hubby) and a wonderful indoor/outdoor onsen downstairs.

This was our second stay there (and out 7th trip to Japow!) and definitely NOT our last!

15. RunDLC

RunDLC Hard Yards

Had a great two weeks in Myoko recently. Great to meet a bunch of people who were really enjoying the mix of skiing and Japan that this area has on offer. Good also to meet Ryan, Bill and all the other cool kids (except for the Scash who is just dangerous).

Scored pretty variable conditions this year but got out on the mountain and enjoyed every day. Hiked close to the top of myoko-San with some great people and rode a very fun line, did a bunch of telemarking, and spent plenty of time enjoying the slush in the park on my board (some days were very hot).

I also wondered as well if anyone knew anything about a foreigner that apparently skied off the side of akakura and down into the sawa next to tsubame/seki? I was at seki that day and saw the firemen and seki management heading up the hill, and heard from a buddy on kanko patrol that it was a foreigner. Plenty to be wary of when heading out of the resort. I know some people didn't get the message but akakura is not a free for all-under the lifts and in-resort areas marked out of bounds are off limits. It will be better for everyone if that is adhered to,

Looking forward to spending a bit more time in Myoko next season!

16. M_G

Haven't heard about this RunDLC but might have been trying to get across from Akakura to Seki. It is possible to do but shouldn't under any circumstances be tried unless you really know what you're doing.

See you for a drink next season as we will finally be there f/t.

17. RyanM

RyanM First Runs

Was very surprised this morning to get plenty of turns in fresh snow at Kanko. I'd resigned to the fact that I'd be riding slush for the rest of the season, but it was cold enough last night that it snowed instead of rained, and enough coverage that there were plenty of spots you wouldn't hit the ice underneath. It was actually really fun. Didn't try the trees, just stuck to groomers and the park (jumps), although I wasn't hitting much as my back is still killing me. I've gotta see someone about that when I get home...

18. RyanM

RyanM First Runs

I'm stoked you think I'm one of the cool kids. Great to meet you too, good times, see you next season.

#1218 RyanM, Mar 21, 2013
  19. AJC13B

AJC13B First Runs

My cousin put together an edit of his footage from the 7 days he had in Myoko with us in mid Feb when it puked pretty much non stop.

I'm trying to put my footage together as well [​IMG]

Thanks to Satomi and Yukio @ Alp resort for an awesome 10 days. And thanks to the Myoko snow deity/ies for putting it on for us. 2.5 metres in the 10 days according to the skijapan reports. Epic trip indeed! Thanks to Tom, Charlie, RaRa, Hannah and the rest of the crew @ Myoko snowsports for the 5 days our son spent with them. He loved every minute of it!
    Lastly thanks to ski.com.au and the people that hit Myoko in previous years, wouldn't have known this place existed, let alone picked it other wise!

#1219 AJC13B, Apr 2, 2013
  20. M_G

Glad you enjoyed it AJC13B. Looking a bit sad at present compared to April last year. [​IMG] Never mind, will get next years Myoko thread up in the next month or two.

#1220 M_G, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  21. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Myoko Snowsports are awesome. My 4 yo spent a lot of time with Hannah, so I was very pleased to see the photo below appear on the Myoko snow report.

#1221 Dave6, Apr 13, 2013
  22. M_G

Not quite done yet - 10cm of snow at Akakura this afternoon.

23. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Goes on and on like peeing with a faulty prostate.

#1223 JoeKing, Apr 21, 2013
  24. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This past season was not a normal season. We were getting weather systems forming over China and pushing form the southwest about every 4-5 days from about late January. The normal winter prevailing northerly wind never really kicked in after late Jan. What this meant was that there WAS an abnormal amount of rain in the central Japan resorts, and as a consequence, less snow.

#1224 Sandy, Apr 21, 2013
  25. skichanger

How funny that we have also just had snow in Aus!

#1225 skichanger, Apr 21, 2013
  26. skichanger

Umm definitely toooo much information!

#1226 skichanger, Apr 21, 2013
  27. skichanger

This season definitely had a lot less snow than last season, thank goodness! However compared with Aus it was still awesome. Now that we ski in Japan we rarely ski in Aus even though we live in the snowy mountains and have to take my mogul skier to the skitube 5 days a week, have season passes etc.

We had an American who lives near Frezno stay with us. Even though she has great access to skiing from her home she extended her stay and will be back in part because of the light powder we consistently get in Japan.

When I left at the end of February there were still good snow falls. We took our luggage downb to the Takybin depot and had to dig the car space out when we got back. So even though it was a poor season in Japan we still had a lot of great snow. From my experience if you have a choice, February is the best month to visit.

#1227 skichanger, Apr 21, 2013
  28. DiscoverSnowTour

DiscoverSnowTour First Runs

Hi All,

We were in Myoko in February and had some of the best snow I have ever experienced in several years of riding in Japan. We hit Seki on an epic day and were rewarded with chest deep powder.

If anyone is considering heading there in 2014 and has not been before then we may be able to help. We run a not-for-profit group and we organise the accomm, flights, private buses, lift tickets, everything! Makes it very easy for first timers. We are ex ski and board instructors (include Australia's Olympic Kirstie Marshall) so we also provide free lessons most days.

If you are interested, head to: www.discoverysnowtours.com and check out the details.

29. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

M_G Any news of Hotel Windsor?My sister heard that it has
    closed down.Very sad if that is the case.

30. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

#1230 Born2ski, Aug 12, 2013
  31. M_G

As far as I know there is still no new management in place. There was a lot of maintenance needed on the place. Shige-san and Yu-san just got a bit worn out trying to run it I think. I will post up here if I hear anything. In fact might go and start the 2013/14 thread.

BTW welcome DST. Please think about contributing some knowledge.

32. M_G

#1232 M_G, Aug 12, 2013