1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Naeba/Kagura or Madarao

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ansy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

What's up everyone, sorry for these repetitive posts, but just looking for some opinions regarding the destination of course, considering Naeba/Kagura or Madarao, the dates are 11th of January - 15th January 2020.

I'm an intermediate skier, so not looking for much, mainly less crowd, decent intermediate runs and cruisers, and accommodation (cheap, less than 100 AUD/night, preferably ski in ski out). That is about it, just wondering which would be more suitable, Naeba/Kagura or Madarao??

Another question is that I have heard that Naeba can get quite crowded, so if i'm going to stay in that area, i'm considering basing at Kagura, is this viable at all in terms of terrains and skiing in general? What are the accommodation options like around Kagura?

Thanks a ton!!

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Every Japanese mountain is busier on weekends, so you need to determine what days of the week you have heard that a place is crowded.
    Some other questions:
    - How many of you are there? This has a big impact on how much accommodation costs
    - Are you looking for big mountains or small?
    - What sort of accommodation do you prefer, Japanese or more western? (tatami mat & futon or regular beds?)

Naeba can be crowded down the bottom on the beginner's slopes during the week days (there are lots of Chinese tour groups there these days). It's an advantage in that many stay on those slopes!! If you get out early and away from those slopes, it's not bad. Naeba & Kagura are linked by a 5.5km gondola, and Kagura is dead quiet, except on a weekend. There's around 30 lifts at Naeba/Kagura, so the whole area is big.
    Naeba Prince hotel is ski in/ski out. There is no ski in/ski out at the bottom of Kagura (Mitsumata).

Madarao & Tangram together have around 15 lifts. The scale is smaller than Naeba & Kagura,.
    There is more of a Japanese vibe, but there's also more Aussies there these days.

I like both areas.

3. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

For 4 nights I'd probably go for Madarao. Fits budget and style + 4 nights is a good time to fully explore.

#3 M_G, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Ansy likes this.
  4. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

$100 per night ski in ski out ....dreaming .

5. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I like Naeba. Does what you want if you can get the price.

Ansy likes this.
  6. Sandy

Naeba Prince Hotel last January, 156,000yen triple room 7 nights, but no breakfast.
    That $98 pp pn.

And 109,000yen twin room. $103 pp pn.

7. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

Thanks for the helpful replies Sandy as usual, and all the others ofc!

1. I've just heard in general that it's a pretty crowded resort, not sure what it actually is like
    2. Just the 2 of us
    3. Just anything that keep me entertained for 5 days, as I'm only an intermediate, not really asking that much
    4. Couldn't care less, just a place to sleep :)

Yea i like the sound of that "Kagura dead quiet", so would like to base at Kagura more, don't quite like the idea of taking the dragondola everyday. In terms of accommodation at Kagura, if there is no ski in/ski out, how far are the accommodations from the slopes? It doesn't have to be ski in/ski out, right at the door thing, bottom line is just nothing that requires a 10-15 min hike to the lift/slopes and I'll be a happy man

8. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

I have stayed in quite a few places that's under $100 AUD that's like either right in front of the lift or a 20m from the slopes (Kawahiro in Nozawa, Hotel elm ishiuchi, Refre in Myoko), granted i'm not sure if this counts as ski in/ski out, but in my book hell yea it is.

honestly not sure what you mean by dreaming lol

Born2skii likes this.
  9. Sandy

I skied a week at Naeba(Prince Hotel) last year, and I didn't find it too crowded FOR ME, except on weekend. And I don't like crowds!! In fact, I could ski deep powder only 200m in front of the hotel.

From the bottom of Kagura(Mistumata) is a ropeway (cable car), and one short easy slope at the top (2 chairs there). Then you can ski down to a gondola, which takes 15 min to get to a variety slopes at the main part of Kagura.
    From Naeba, the Dragondola takes 25 min. From Mitsumata, by the time you take the ropeway & gondola etc it takes maybe 30 min.
    Accom is across the road from the ropeway at Mitsumata.
    But to be clear, if you want to come from Naeba Dragondola or from Mitsumata to the same point at the bottom of Kagura Pair Lift No4, it will take about the same time from either end. HOWEVER, you can ski the slopes of Naeba before the Dragondola.

10. Budgiesmuggler

Dunno. We were there for 5 days and I found Naeba pretty quiet. We didn’t get across to Kagura.

Shh... I could also ski deep pow directly in front of the hotel.

Born2skii, Canuckskier and Sandy like this.
  11. Sandy

It's not true ;)

Draizuh likes this.
  12. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Also worth noting that the Dragondola does not run every day. Also need to get to Kagura early to ride the top lift.

13. Budgiesmuggler

That photo is fake news :)

14. Sandy

As far as I know it runs every day if not on wind hold. If so, you can catch the shuttle from Naeba to Tashiro ropeway.

15. Dave6

Definitely wasn't running every day last January and wasn't for wind.

16. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I meant that you are going to be charged per head and even Kawahiro comes in at quite a bit more that $100 per night especially when you factor in exchange rates .

17. Melskius

Melskius One of Us

We loved Naeba and Kagura, skied there the last two years. We like the variety of eating options and nice accommodation at the prince. We enjoyed the dragondola, and it ran every day in late feb. Naeba alone is good for a few days, but so much better with Kagura - that place is great for intermediates. They also had a cheaper ladies day during the week and you can pre book (we did the night before) lift tickets cheaper and included credit voucher for food etc.
    We would head back there in 2020, but the same week is now over 2 times what we paid this year.

Canuckskier likes this.
  18. Sandy

When was that?
    I was there 18-25th Jan and it ran every day.

19. Dave6

10 - 20th.

20. M_G

You won't get a single room close to the slopes at Madarao for under $100. You will get something in your budget, but not ski in, ski out.

Ansy likes this.
  21. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

Yea sorry my bad, probably didn't mean ski in/ski out, just nothing that requires too much of a cancerous walk to the lift.

Ok yea just checked the messages from couple years back, depending on the date, was varying between 6000-8000 yen approx, so it is around 100 AUD.

22. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

Ok yep, get what you mean now, just had a look at the ski map of kagura, didn't realise the actual village is so down bottom! I guess staying at naeba would be a better choice

23. Sandy

And it's ski in/ski out. No breakfast in the price, but you can pay for breakfast(about $25), or get breakfast stuff in the little town (Mikuni), about 1 km away, at a tiny supermarket.

24. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yep, it's changed with all the OS "owners" upping the price.
    We used to get a tatami room that could sleep 4 a couple of hundred metres from the hill for not much more than $100 for the room.
    Double that now.

25. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

Hmmm, was super expensive when i just checked, was only for 6 nights though

26. Ansy

Ansy Hard Yards

How hard are the tree runs in Madarao? On the map, all of them are marked as black runs

27. M_G

Japanese rating. As an intermediate you may struggle initially. Perhaps book a Madarao guided tour to start.

28. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

There are a few conbini inside the prince hotel. the ones in Mikuni open sporadically.

You also have to ski all the boring flat runs at taishiro and atleast 3 chairs to get to Kagura itself..

29. Sandy

That's true, but you can ski the powder most of the way down from the gondola at Naeba, directly from the Prince Hotel. From Mitsumata, you have to go all the way to Kagura.
    And the little supermarket in Mikumi was open day until 6pm.

30. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Its obviously getting busier. Last time i was this (not this year the year before) it was still very very random. The friendly mart up near Asagao wasnt opening very often and the one at the main intersection was only opening evenings.