Day to Day NE NSW / QLD weather

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I'm starting this thread to kind of keep all of the WZ NE NSW/SE QLD refugees together in one thread. You can consider this a successor to the “day to day” thread in WZ.

This thread can be used for observations and predictions in the region. I’m sure a snow pic from Far North NSW would be appreciated in the main observations thread for snow events. But for all other discussion for this region, feel free to use this thread.

If anyone has suggestions or thoughts, please share them. I’m sure the mods and admins will change as they see fit.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
FYI. ‘BBQ’ is welcoming vernacular, it’s inclusive and it just organically evolved a long time ago as a generic term for a general thread within the scope of the sub-topic.

Reactions: currawong
yay. Bonza . well done 'jellybeans'. and thanks
separation anxiety from WZ forum decreasing. We are so appreciative that you have taken us on board. Its good to feel welcomed and accommodated. Thought l might try to upload a satellite snap l took tonight of moisture in the region.
Moist onshore flow, 500hpa trough involved. Not bad considering mslp was around 1026hpa at Coolongatta today
Massive northward amplitude of the cold front and trough in the west of Oz denying the ski fields the best of its load .
Cold front to dip,to the SE into the Bight

OK. Easy. Insert picture works
cold-cront-sw-wa-4th-july-2019.jpg

Chilled

Addicted
Jul 4, 2019
Beenleigh
Thanks for starting this thread up, I might one day go for a snow chase seems quite fitting for this forum.

As for the upcoming day to day weather the odd shower here and there, but what is the upper trough doing?, seeing some promising signs of some wet weather for parts of QLD perhaps some inland. Sort of better than nothing maybe something of interest. Look forward to exploring all these threads. there's a beer thread..nice

Reactions: Chaeron

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
A few brief onshore showers here bringing 1.8mm in the 24hrs to 9am this morning, and 1.0mm since 9am. Last night was unseasonably warm (and I mean 'warm' by July standards), and it looks like the nights over the next few days will sing a similar tune of pleasant minimum temps.

July 2019 Rainfall: 2.8mm (July Avg. 76.5mm)
Year-to-date Rainfall: 643.0mm (January-July Avg. 1011.2mm)

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
FtwMOzh.png

About as good as it gets for our part of the world. Unfortunately, the upper trough over Central QLD is forecast gradually weaken and slide eastwards overnight and tomorrow, restricting heaviest rainfall to the Central Coast and offshore, while leaving us primarily under the influence of this bloody ridge which means miserable, windy with maybe the odd shower here and there.

Krissyleigh

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2019
Maryborough
FtwMOzh.png

About as good as it gets for our part of the world. Unfortunately, the upper trough over Central QLD is forecast gradually weaken and slide eastwards overnight and tomorrow, restricting heaviest rainfall to the Central Coast and offshore, while leaving us primarily under the influence of this bloody ridge which means miserable, windy with maybe the odd shower here and there.

Not complaining, we have had some good downpours ( showgrounds) . I was hoping for a bit more than 10mm lol

Reactions: MegaMatch

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Thanks Mega. I am exploring this forum alternative. Looks easy to use including uploading pics (I never worked out how to upload pics on WZ).
Looks like you had a good rain band last night.

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

DATE...5 JUL 2019 TIME..0740

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...15.8C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........89%
CURRENT DEW POINT.......14C
CURRENT WIND DIR/SPEED..SSW 7Kph
CURRENT MSL PRESSURE...1028.3Hpa
CURRENT VISIBILITY......15Km
CURRENT CLOUD...........1/8 Cu, 1/8 Sc, 6/8 Ci.
CURRENT WEATHER......Distant showers.
RAIN SINCE 0900 THURSDAY..2.2mm.

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS ......23.3C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.....14.1C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN....12.6C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.....13C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR MSLP.......1027.8Hpa
MAX WIND GUST LAST 24 HOURS..SE 44Kph at 1035
LAST 24 HOURS WEATHER... Overnight and early morning showers.

SnowdOva

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2016
Gold Coast
Relatively wet last night in Southport wind was probably making things seem worse

Light passing showers on the train to BNE this morning with patchy overcast most of the way.
Looks grey to the east and clear to the west in the city

Nic Bri

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Mount Gravatt East
Although I am not a huge contributor I've signed up also. I often lurk on the WZ QLD board to help schedule my work. :emoji_camera_with_flash: I found the contributors on there often were more accurate than some of the traditional forecasting.
Glad to see there will be a similar forum for me to geek out about the weather on.

Adam Ant

Addicted
Jul 5, 2019
Western side of Toowoomba
Hi folks, weatherzone refugee here. Long time lurker so I think it is time I finally signed up!

Weather wise it has been showering on and off today in Toowoomba, although not much has registered. Winds maxed out at 76km/hr, only the exposed islands had stronger winds. If you didn't have a synoptic chart to rely on you would have thought there was an ecl on the coast.

Wet sky

Hard Yards
Jul 5, 2019
Hi all, a cold wet and windy day on the tweed coast today. One of the few day around here which feels like winter. Anyway, hopefully this thread can gain some momentum over the coming weeks.
Thanks heaps to ski forums for accomodating all displaced wzoners

Chilled

Addicted
Jul 4, 2019
Beenleigh
Welcome everyone, glad you are here hopefully others will make the treck over aswell. Looking forward to posting some pics and charts here.

Presently showers have continued throughout the day, a few heavy bursts aswell which has been quite nice and refreshing SE'lys. Some rain for inland parts would be nice also, currently quick glance at GFS still showing some places inland to get maybe 10mm seems to be focused to central QLD but the upper trough looks to weaken over the next week and pushes back west which might bring some precip for the western regions but the Darling Downs left in the middle once again.
Followed by a cold change.

Fytaris

First Runs
Jul 5, 2019
Hi all, used to be known as Fyweather, long time winter lurker occasional summer chaser/poster-contributor.

Lovely to see we still have a home somewhere. Would also like to use this as an opportunity to thank our fellow contributors for educating and entertaining over the years.

Look forward to a future full of exciting weather!

Cheers, Fy

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Geez this on off rain, that is barely rain, with a few mm here and there, is getting tiring. If it is going to rain in winter then I wish we could get some decent totals over few hours and with a decent amount of time with clear winter sky days which is when SEQ winters are the best. Days are too short in winter to have too much time under clouds. Maybe I should not say that cos the ski folk probably thinks opposite with clouds being good for snow. Also I am sure Warwickeye2sky would welcome any rain just beyond the ranges.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but how come this thread doesn't have BBQ in it but the one I'm posting in does?
I recall seeing somewhere that this thread wanted BBQ removed from title as it seemed to devalue the meaning. I prefer no BBQ in title also.

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but how come this thread doesn't have BBQ in it but the one I'm posting in does?
These two posts toward the top of this page will explain :thumbs:
It’s the way we have always called general threads, but I’ve changed it now.
FYI. ‘BBQ’ is welcoming vernacular, it’s inclusive and it just organically evolved a long time ago as a generic term for a general thread within the scope of the sub-topic.
In other words, from our perspective, 'BBQ' is Ski's equivalent to WZ's 'Day-to-day' threads.

Reactions: Vinny

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
The intermittent onshore showers continue here. 5.8mm in the 24hrs to 9am, and 6.2mm since 9am.
Orographic enhancement of precipitation quite evident along the Dorrigo escarpment with 25-65mm falls in that area during the 24hrs to 9am:
dorrigoorographic.png

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Next seven days rain forecast output of EC is below (from Meteologix)
GFS is quite similar perhaps more optimistic for ne NSW. Access G more pessimistic.
Edit note. Sorry actually seven and bit day totals
upload_2019-7-6_8-1-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-6_7-59-47.png
    upload_2019-7-6_7-59-47.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 3

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Hey Richard. Sorry I don’t think anyone was asking for BBQ to be put back in the title. I agree with RWM’s comment early in this thread and would prefer no BBQ. The seQld neNSW community from WZ are really keen on the weather

Ok,

I'll switch back, but I think you'll find that the original weather BBQ we been running here is quite serious. The snow system 'Prediction' and ' Observation' threads are 100% no nonsense and BBQ in thread title is how we distinguished the relaxed from the V serious.

Anyway's it's your WZ gig with these geo obs threads so please have it your way.

Reactions: Nic Bri and Flowin

Lani

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Jimbour
Great to see everyone migrating to the same place together On the road at the moment, it’s terribly dry from Jimbour to Uralla. Warwick Eye2Sky, you guys look dreadful Never seen Warwick so dry. Got some showers overnight at Uralla which continued all day yesterday through Walcha, Nowendoc and Gloucester. What a beautiful part of the country I must say! Now at Soldiers Point trying to figure out why locals are wearing jumpers lol.

After the models talking rain back at home at Jimbour this weekend for the last week it’s all mostly disappeared as usual by the day of the event on the forecasts. Ironically by the radar it does look like it’s getting showers anyway! Fingers crossed.

Will see what Oberon and Dubbo look like in coming days

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

DATE...6 JUL 2019 TIME..0825

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...16.7C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........93%
CURRENT DEW POINT.......16C
CURRENT WIND DIR/SPEED..SE 20Kph
CURRENT MSL PRESSURE...1029.9Hpa
CURRENT VISIBILITY......9Km
CURRENT CLOUD...........4/8 Fs, 3/8 Cu, 5/8 Sc.
CURRENT WEATHER......Slight showers and drizzle.
RAIN SINCE 0900 FRIDAY..3.0mm.

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS -
YESTERDAY'S MAX TEMP. ......21.9C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.....14.9C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN....13.9C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.....14C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR MSLP.......1028.1Hpa
MAX WIND GUST LAST 24 HOURS...S 44 Kph at 2149
24 HOUR WEATHER SUMMARY...Overnight and early morning showers and drizzle.

Reactions: Nic Bri and Gleno71
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass