Day to Day NE NSW / QLD weather

Slovenski

One of Us
Jun 7, 2019
Mount Hallen
1623709356431.png

Good stuff
Yea, not often its 10C with a morning thunderstorm in winter.
Heavier rain now.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
Someone at the BOM must have taken a look out the window.

Looking out the window definitely doesn't help until the last moment when you can physically see it coming towards you, especially on a day like today which is one of those days where the "it feels and looks like a storm day" principle doesn't apply. If you were to look out the window earlier this morning, you wouldn't have had a single clue that this was coming.
Some of the models (e.g. EC) have been predicting the onset of early morning showers/storms since yesterday so it's not too surprising, but there was still uncertainty because not all of them were.

Still raining here, cloudy, and cold (12.7C here now). 12mm of rain so far in the CBD.

Weathertraveller

One of Us
Jan 23, 2020
Northern Gold Coast
Looking out the window definitely doesn't help until the last moment when you can physically see it coming towards you, especially on a day like today which is one of those days where the "it feels and looks like a storm day" principle doesn't apply. If you were to look out the window earlier this morning, you wouldn't have had a single clue that this was coming.
It was sunny here earlier around 7, so looking out the window didn't tell me much but daily I check the BOM radar, so knew early there was a line of storms to my west. But BOM didn't update until 9.15am when the storms were close to Brisbane, so I can see what Rainbow Serpant meant, it gave me a giggle.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Some of the models (e.g. EC) have been predicting the onset of early morning showers/storms since yesterday so it's not too surprising, but there was still uncertainty because not all of them were.

Still raining here, cloudy, and cold (12.7C here now). 12mm of rain so far in the CBD.

Looking out the window early this morning from Sunshine Coast showed clear signs of instability, moisture and shear with puffy clouds, a fair bit of mid level activity and, definite lean, and rapid movement of clouds from NW.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
Looking out the window early this morning from Sunshine Coast showed clear signs of instability, moisture and shear with puffy clouds, a fair bit of mid level activity and, definite lean, and rapid movement of clouds from NW.

Had nothing like that here. A few innocuous clouds, no castellanus, etc. Essentially just another typical morning sky until the line of storms and rain got closer.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Had nothing like that here. A few innocuous clouds, no castellanus, etc. Essentially just another typical morning sky until the line of storms and rain got closer.
I'm a little surprised to read that considering what it looked like up hear. There was activity streaming north to south ahead of the line with a couple showers to the north of here as well, and as the line hit more cells popping up. Just here we seem to be on the very northern limits of the main line. Sky wasn't a clear cut storm sky - looked a bit on the moist side and more showers/rain band, but definitely suggested something up. Ironic that up the skies showed so much more potential this morning when the activity has been stronger through Brisbane and we are just getting the very northern edge in Maroochydore.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
51247745691_53d8a35aeb_o.gif

I'm a little surprised to read that considering what it looked like up hear. There was activity streaming north to south ahead of the line with a couple showers to the north of here as well, and as the line hit more cells popping up. Just here we seem to be on the very northern limits of the main line. Sky wasn't a clear cut storm sky - looked a bit on the moist side and more showers/rain band, but definitely suggested something up. Ironic that up the skies showed so much more potential this morning when the activity has been stronger through Brisbane and we are just getting the very northern edge in Maroochydore.

Looking back through the satpics/radar, it looks like there was some earlier development of clouds around the Sunshine Coast ahead of the main band (at a guess, maybe that might've been part of what you saw?) and even some isolated precipitating convection nearby while skies were still fairly clear here before clouds increased here as well. Satpic/radar loop via WZ above.

The temp here's gone up from 12.7C before (at 10:15am) to 13C now. But still raining lightly, overcast, and gloomy.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
51247768041_694940ed21_b.jpg

Yeah Rays, the grass is nice and green here too and has been for awhile.
The last spits of rain have now eased here with most of the band moving out to sea but the lightning before was very close. Some of the bolts were brilliant enough to light up the inside of my house and the thunder shook the windows.
14mm of rain in the CBD from this lot.
Temp has gone up further here to 14.5C as at 11:15am. Everything's still wet and skies remain gloomy though.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Where are all the good weather web cams these days? Someone used to maintain a great site with storm spotting web cams scattered in SEQ, but I think its gone.

This one is nice and has history, but looking north from Southbank. Can see convection off in distance early AM in a couple frames which is the stuff over sunshine coast probably. Just the barest hint of some instability in the mid level deck, but hard to say whether that is only something I'm seeing in hindsight.

LDRcycles

Addicted
Jul 16, 2019
Kin Kin
Where are all the good weather web cams these days? Someone used to maintain a great site with storm spotting web cams scattered in SEQ, but I think its gone.

This one is nice and has history, but looking north from Southbank. Can see convection off in distance early AM in a couple frames which is the stuff over sunshine coast probably. Just the barest hint of some instability in the mid level deck, but hard to say whether that is only something I'm seeing in hindsight.

That was BSCH, it peaked at 65 cameras but it's a shadow of what it used to be- https://www.weathercamnetwork.com.au/ Luckily the Mcleans Ridges camera is still online, it's a fantastic location.

CirrusFibratus

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Strathpine
www.wunderground.com
2.5 deg start and 2mm of rain that came down in a hurry on the very southern tip of the storm line. 16 degs and beautiful blues skies at 11am, with our friendly bees enjoying the camelias. One of our cute little fellas cleared for landing....
IMG_5450.jpg
What a shot!

Always great to get insects/birds in flight perfectly like that.

Slovenski

One of Us
Jun 7, 2019
Mount Hallen

Yep, just like me at 6.30 this lovely looking morning.
Quite black looking to the SW now.

Timbuck

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Highland park
Well. What a ripper of a morning. Got up early at 3am make the most of the calm conditions and go catch some dinner. Drinking my morning dilmah I check the weather as I could see some flashes out to the SE…. Yep line of storms along the coast and next zero knots along all coastal stations. beauty. I did see the forecast , and was expecting some activity to develop BUT not so awesome. Hahah.
on the way out of the sea way watching Epic light show. I was thinking hopefully some of the WZ photo expert where up and at em Getting some shots ?? Over the next hr we saw several water spouts. Quite cool to see the clouds build and spout drop down and then last for a while and then dissipate, then to have another form a few kms north or south. very very cool.
tried a few spots just south of the seaway and had no luck. Headed north to our favourite spot ( cobia spot) and soon found fish , got a few nice snapper , and unfortunately I hook a solid cobia on the light gear and finally wore through the leader after 25 mins. Even though we had livies out on heavy gear…… cobia still love a unweighted Pilchard drifting down. caught A few more snapper and watched things starting to build over land.
sure built up nicely and very nice frontal shelf that went for the whole length of the coast. Here is a few iPhone pics , just doesn’t do it justice on how cool it was. What an epic morning , we planned to be back in at 10am , and all these pics where taken at 10am racing in dodging lighten bolts hahahaha. What a time to be alive. The only bad thing was we left the fish biting and the change of tide we really needed/wanted to fish.
possable hail core pic 4. We got light hail at the boat ramp but only spec here and there.

1D026272-13DC-4070-9BB8-F8BCF4072970.jpeg

76E071B7-F6A9-4A22-83D7-715FE1DF03A6.jpeg

21844E7A-7C38-48E0-A9EC-B5B9D5C1AF92.jpeg

FA35473B-A553-483C-BA84-BA5D35BD018F.jpeg

Ken Kato

One of Us
Jul 13, 2019
What better way to cap off two rounds of storms and rain today than a nice sunset,
51248284826_50a158ca11_b.jpg

51248481528_eb713ac770_b.jpg

51248288376_2f7dc66eac_b.jpg

What better way to cap off a day with 2 rounds of showers, storms, and rain areas than a nice sunset.

Some of the more sheltered areas in SEQ could get some thick fog overnight tonight/early tomorrow morning especially where the ground's still damp from the rain but looks touch and go for some of those areas as well due to marginal moisture and a bit of a breeze.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass