Day to Day NE NSW / QLD weather

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
A69C1F50-3149-454F-B683-A7AE57CCF829.jpeg

Nice mackerel clouds visible from Sunshine Coast. Interesting ripples too.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
51290881636_6161677b19_b.jpg

51290883681_9398eb8e4d_b.jpg

Not exactly SE QLD related...but I wanted to share.

My Astronomy colleague gave me permission to share some pictures of the Sun he took today , optical telescope using special light filters.

Enjoy

Awesome pics @Rays74 ... love it. I've always been curious though, are they from the astronomy section from USQ? I used to study on campus there awhile back and astronomy was also one of my subjects.

On the subject of sun-related things, I saw some nice iridescence in the clouds as the sun was starting to set so I took these pics just before. Not the best examples but was still nice to look at.

Rays74

One of Us
Feb 8, 2020
51290881636_6161677b19_b.jpg

51290883681_9398eb8e4d_b.jpg

Awesome pics @Rays74 ... love it. I've always been curious though, are they from the astronomy section from USQ? I used to study on campus there awhile back and astronomy was also one of my subjects.

On the subject of sun-related things, I saw some nice iridescence in the clouds as the sun was starting to set so I took these pics just before. Not the best examples but was still nice to look at.

No , not USQ.
We are in high school education!
We're very passionate about the weather and astronomy subjects though.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
I am somewhat perplexed by the himawari satellite water vapour image in first pic below which is 1800 AEST time today (0800 UTC). I interpret it as showing some moisture above SEQ and to the south west of us.

Second pic below is the EC 00z forecast total precipitable water for the same time - it shows dry air.
Third pic show GFS integrated water vapour transport 00z forecast for 4pm today - it shows not much moisture feed into our region or west of us.

It makes me wonder if the WV image has some bias from cold air, or is showing cold air that may be colder than the forecasts?

A8656F24-6A99-4476-AEC0-E0E88276A4DA.jpeg

AD9463B9-51FA-4F3B-B326-39F44489D0B0.png

9B099FB5-8F0A-4C95-8EDC-3B692144F369.png

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I am somewhat perplexed by the himawari satellite water vapour image in first pic below which is 1800 AEST time today (0800 UTC). I interpret it as showing some moisture above SEQ and to the south west of us.

Second pic below is the EC 00z forecast total precipitable water for the same time - it shows dry air.
Third pic show GFS integrated water vapour transport 00z forecast for 4pm today - it shows not much moisture feed into our region or west of us.

It makes me wonder if the WV image has some bias from cold air, or is showing cold air that may be colder than the forecasts?

A8656F24-6A99-4476-AEC0-E0E88276A4DA.jpeg

AD9463B9-51FA-4F3B-B326-39F44489D0B0.png

9B099FB5-8F0A-4C95-8EDC-3B692144F369.png

That's simply because moisture in mid to upper levels tends to show up a lot better on water vapour imagery than lower down. WV imagery essentially picks up the temps around the tops of layers of moisture so if that moisture's up high like it is now (or there's tall convection), it'll show up really well due to it being cold up there. Even just a limited amount of moisture within a thin layer in the upper levels shows up well.

But because the upper moisture at the moment is only in a thin layer and the rest of the atmospheric column is really dry, it makes little difference to the precipitable water values which apply to the entire atmospheric column or the IVT values which also apply to a big depth of the atmosphere.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
That's simply because moisture in mid to upper levels tends to show up a lot better on water vapour imagery than lower down. WV imagery essentially picks up the temps around the tops of layers of moisture so if that moisture's up high like it is now (or there's tall convection), it'll show up really well due to it being cold up there. Even just a limited amount of moisture within a thin layer in the upper levels shows up well.

But because the upper moisture at the moment is only in a thin layer and the rest of the atmospheric column is really dry, it makes little difference to the precipitable water values which apply to the entire atmospheric column or the IVT values which also apply to a big depth of the atmosphere.
Thanks Ken. Very informative explanation.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
That also makes me wonder about emerging technologies for detecting precipitable water at lower levels in real time. I have seen some scientific literature in recent years about processing of GPS signal transmissions
to estimate TPW but I can’t recall reading details of specific strengths and weaknesses of GPS methods at different levels.

If satellite can provide a reasonable estimate of high moisture and other technology could provide reasonable estimates of lower moisture it may provide an opportunity for hybrid weather monitoring technology to be a better source of intelligence?

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
That also makes me wonder about emerging technologies for detecting precipitable water at lower levels in real time. I have seen some scientific literature in recent years about processing of GPS signal transmissions
to estimate TPW but I can’t recall reading details of specific strengths and weaknesses of GPS methods at different levels.

If satellite can provide a reasonable estimate of high moisture and other technology could provide reasonable estimates of lower moisture it may provide an opportunity for hybrid weather monitoring technology to be a better source of intelligence?

GPS-RO (radio occultation that affects GPS signals as they pass through the atmosphere and bend) data's already been in use by various models for awhile now including EC and can be used to get info on what the temp and moisture profile's like through the atmosphere. But like many other forms of measurements of meteorological data by satellites, it has its own error margins and uncertainty.

Realtime temp and moisture profile data is also available for viewing as both realtime analyses in the form of soundings and numbers, as well as being routinely fed into models from AMDAR sensors on commercial aircraft as they climb and descend, LIDAR stations which shoot a LIDAR beam vertically upwards through the atmosphere, etc. Wind profilers also detect wind speeds and directions at different heights with some using doppler radar. But a lot of this realtime stuff is only available internally within national weather agencies. Profiler data tends to be more publicly available in the US,.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Cool temperature in the morning eased to slightly cool from the mid morning and near average in the late morning as the temperature rose during the morning. Slightly cool in the afternoon as the temperature rose slowly to the maximum temperature becoming cool in the late afternoon. Tonight the temperature have been near average becoming slightly cool late tonight as the temperature fell during tonight though the temperature temporarily rose a little early tonight. From the mid morning the dew point was slightly below average that stopped rising in the mid morning then fell slightly before rising slowly to the early afternoon. In the afternoon the dew point fell becoming moderately low early tonight before generally rising afterwards becoming stable later tonight easing to slightly below average.

Relative humidity was slightly below average in the morning and afternoon after falling quickly in the morning before falling slowly from the late morning to early tonight. Early tonight the relative humidity was moderately low to low before easing to near average during the rest of tonight while rising. Light SSW to SW winds in the mid morning that veering during the morning to W to NW in the late morning, tended to W to SW in the afternoon and early tonight with calm winds at times during tonight with mostly W to SW winds at times.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-5.PNG
hum 2021-7-5.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-5.PNG

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

TUESDAY 6 JULY 2021 - TIME 0735

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...10.7C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........73%
CURRENT DEW POINT........6C
CURRENT WIND.......WSW 4Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....40KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1020.2hpa
CURRENT CLOUD........1/8 Sc, 1/8 Ac, 3/8 thin As, 6/8 Cs
CURRENT WEATHER.....No significant weather

RAIN SINCE 0900 MONDAY - 0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........19.2C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......9.1C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-1.65C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......8.0C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.......7C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1018.7Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND.....SW 23Kph at 1442
PAST 24 HOURS SIG.WEATHER.... No significant weather.

JULY RAINFALL TO DATE......................42.0mm
JULY AVERAGE RAINFALL......................53.2mm
2021 RAINFALL TO DATE....................1082.2mm
AVERAGE RAINFALL TO END OF JULY...........753.2mm
AVERAGE ANNUAL RAIN TO END OF DEC........1152.4mm

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 6 Jul 2021
Time: 7:55 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 7.7 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.1 C
Min Ground Temp: 5.9 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 9.1 C
Relative Humidity: 91 %
Dew Point: 7.7 C
MSL Pressure: 1019.7 hPa
Wind Speed: Calm
Wind Direction: Calm

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 7/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 5/7/21: Partly cloudy with Cu, Sc, Ac, Ci and Cc clouds. Slightly warm early in the day easing to near average and then to slightly cool later in the early hours as the temperature fell and further to cool during the morning morning while the temperature rose a little slowly. From the mid morning the temperature eased to slightly cool and to near average in the late morning as the temperature rose during the morning. Slightly cool in the afternoon as the temperature rose slowly to the maximum temperature becoming cool in the late afternoon. In the evening the temperature was near average becoming slightly cool late in the evening as the temperature fell in the evening though the temperature temporarily rose a little early in the evening. Dew point was near average that fell at the start of the day, fell slowly or was stable during the rest of the early hours and early in the morning before rising during the morning. From the mid morning the dew point stopped rising then fell slightly becoming slightly below average before rising slowly to the early afternoon. In the afternoon the dew point fell becoming moderately low early in the evening before generally rising afterwards becoming stable later in the evening easing to slightly below average. Relative humidity initially fell early in the day before rising during the rest of the early hours and in the early morning that was moderately low easing to slightly below average later in the early hours and to near average in the morning. From the mid morning the relative humidity was slightly below average after falling quickly in the morning before falling slowly from the late morning to the early evening. Early in the evening the relative humidity was moderately low to low before easing to near average during the rest of the evening while rising. Light WSW to NW winds early in the day before mostly calm winds during the rest of the early hours with some WNW to SSW winds at times. Calm winds during the morning, followed by light SSW to SW winds in the mid morning that veering during the morning to W to NW in the late morning, tended to W to SW in the afternoon and early evening with calm winds at times during the evening with mostly W to SW winds at times.

Today: The temperature fell slowly in the first few hours of the day, slightly cool, before rising slowly during the rest of the early hours close to average and during this morning becoming slightly cool and then cool this morning. Slightly below average dew point early in the day was stable before rising slowly during the rest of the early hours and during this morning close to average. Relative humidity have been slightly below average while rising. Mostly calm winds with some W to WSW winds at times in the early hours.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1625571372797.png

1625571420960.png

I see some chat about usa having a brutal winter now Argentina and Brazil just had a freeze.
Is Australia next for a huge cold blast

My thoughts on that in the following link @Tsunami :

Also, as you can see in the above maps, the main focus of the much below-average mean temps in South America so far this winter has been around southern-central parts of the continent with much warmer than normal conditions in northeastern Brazil and Peru. During the US's most recent winter, much of the central and southern parts of the country averaged out to be much colder than normal (in saying that, that amazing arctic freeze that was all over the news was immediately followed by a huge upward swing in temps of up to 20C and more as soon as it was over) while the western US was warmer than normal, as was the extreme northern, northeastern, and southeastern parts).

See 1st image where I've circled the very cold part of South America and the 2nd image of how that fits into the broader context of the southern hemisphere. As I mentioned in the post that above link points to, major cold outbreaks or heatwaves over land tend to attract a lot of headlines but never affect the whole hemisphere and conditions in other areas often get overshadowed.
That's not to say we can rule out continuing cold conditions at other times this winter though.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
The temperature was a little variable from the mid morning to the mid afternoon that eased to slightly cool from the mid morning that was near average in the late morning and early afternoon. Tonight the temperature fell steadily while remaining slightly cool. Dew point dropped back from near average to slightly below average while the dew point stabilising in the mid morning before rising slowly during the rest of the morning and afternoon that was close to average before falling slowly from the late afternoon close to average.

Near average relative humidity from the morning that was temporarily slightly below average in the late morning after the relative humidity fell during the morning and became stable until the mid afternoon. From the late afternoon the relative humidity have been slightly above average while rising. Light SSW to SSE winds from the mid morning, S to SE in the early afternoon that became WSW to SE, NNE to ENE in the mid afternoon with some variable winds before mostly calm winds from the late afternoon.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-6.PNG
hum 2021-7-6.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-6.PNG

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
51295897995_b5129c9fb1_b.jpg

Some frost and fog/mist here this morning. And yep Pete, still on track for a bit of rain moving across later on this week (with some coastal shower activity before that) but as far as southern coastal QLD and northern coastal NSW goes, the partial rainshadowing effect of the ranges, the flattening out of the upper component of the system, and drier air starting to move in post-front while the rain's still falling will probably prevent amounts from becoming too noteworthy. Likely a bit better over the interior west of the ranges though.

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019

WEDNESDAY 7 JULY 2021 - TIME 0755

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...10.7C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........85%
CURRENT DEW POINT........8C
CURRENT WIND.......WSW 4Kph
CURRENT PRESSURE..1023.1HpA
CURRENT CLOUD........1/8 Cu

RAIN SINCE TUESDAY - 0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........19.8C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......7.0C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-2.40C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......6.1C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......10C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1020.7Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND.....SW 18Kph at 0921

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 7 Jul 2021
Time: 9:55 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 5.9 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.3 C
Min Ground Temp: 4.3 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.1 mm (Dew)

Temperature: 16.3 C
Relative Humidity: 66 %
Dew Point: 9.8 C
MSL Pressure: 1022.9 hPa
Wind Speed: 7 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: S

Cloud Cover: 1/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 6/7/21: Partly cloudy with Ci and Cc clouds in the morning clearing with Sc and Cu from the morning. The temperature fell slowly in the first few hours of the day, slightly cool, before rising slowly during the rest of the early hours close to average and during in the morning becoming slightly cool and then cool. The temperature was a little variable from the mid morning to the mid afternoon that eased to slightly cool from the mid morning that was near average in the late morning and early afternoon. In the evening the temperature fell steadily while remaining slightly cool. Slightly below average dew point early in the day was stable before rising slowly during the rest of the early hours and during the morning close to average. Dew point dropped back from near average to slightly below average while the dew point stabilising in the mid morning before rising slowly during the rest of the morning and afternoon that was close to average before falling slowly from the late afternoon close to average. Relative humidity was slightly below average while rising from early, became near average from the morning that was temporarily slightly below average in the late morning after the relative humidity fell during the morning and became stable until the mid afternoon. From the late afternoon the relative humidity was slightly above average while rising. Mostly calm winds from early with some W to WSW winds at times in the early hours. Light SSW to SSE winds from the mid morning, S to SE in the early afternoon that became WSW to SE, NNE to ENE in the mid afternoon with some variable winds before mostly calm winds from the late afternoon.

Today: Slightly cool becoming cool in the early morning as the fell steadily before easing back to slightly cool as the temperature rose. Dew point was near average while falling slowly that became slightly below average late in the early hours and in the early morning, then rose this morning while returning to near average and then fell slowly since the mid morning. Relative humidity rose slowly through to this morning that was near average or slightly above average before falling quickly this morning close to average that was briefly slightly above average when the relative humidity continued to rise until the mid morning. Mostly calm winds early before S to SSE winds this morning.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Summary for June 2021. Close to average temperatures and near median rainfall.

The mean minimum temperature was 0.5 C below average, 1 C lower than June 2020 and the lowest for June since 8.6 C in 2018. During the month there were several cool periods that occurred mainly during the middle of the month, accompanied with some warmer nights. The mean maximum temperature was 0.2 C above average and 0.9 C lower than June 2020. Daytime temperatures generally near or slightly above average with some cool days. The mean temperature of 15.8 C was 0.1 C below average and 1 C lower than June 2020.

The mean year to date temperature of 21.5 C was 0.2 C below average and the lowest for January to June since 21.1 C in 2013.

Rainfall was below average with a total of 23.9 mm (38.6% of the long-term average and 121.8% of the long-term median). There was 1 day of thunder with 1 thunderstorm (on the 15th) during the month. The monthly rainfall total was the lowest for June since 22.5 mm in 2014. The highest daily rainfall total of 7.6 mm on 16 June 2021 was the lowest for June since 4.9 mm on 30 June 2015.

After some rainfall at the start of the month, about one-third of the rainfall was measured on the 16th, and another third later in the month. All rainfall during the month was light.

Year to date rainfall until the end of June was 772.8 mm (12 % above average). This is slightly lower than the January to June rainfall total in 2020, which was 786 mm but is higher than 430.1 mm in 2019.

The number of rain days of 74 so far this year until the end of June 2021 was 15 days above the long-term average. This is however the lowest since 61 days in 2017 when compared with January to June rain days in past years.

The long period rainfall totals continued to remain above average for rainfall periods up to 18 month but generally remain near average at the longer time spans, though 36 month remains below average. As compared with May 2021 the 6 monthly rainfall dropped back by 57.7 mm to 96.4 mm above average, 9 month rainfall dropped back by 15.1 mm to 94.9 mm and 12 monthly slipped by 20.5 mm to 75.6 mm above average. 18 month rainfall remains above average at 191.3 mm after slipping by 25.7 mm. 24 month rainfall slipped slightly by 18 mm from 9.8 mm above average to 8.1 mm below average. 36 month rainfall continues to remain the only period that is significantly below average that was 150.6 mm below average but improved by 14.4 mm from May 2021. 48 monthly rainfall slipped slightly from 2.2 mm above average to 23.4 mm above average.

The largest positive anomaly was observed by the 18 month rainfall that is the highest since 199.8 mm above average in the 18 months to June 2016. The lowest anomaly that was observed by the 36-month rainfall was the lowest for June since 263.3 mm in the 36 months to June 2016. Compared with the same period in 2020 the long period rainfall totals have improved or dropped slightly. The greatest increase in the long period rainfall anomalies was the 18 month rainfall that have increased by 523.3 mm.

2021-06-summary.PNG
2021-06-daily_from_long_term_avg.PNG
2021-06_from_long_term_avg.PNG
2021-06-YTD.PNG

WarwickEye2Sky

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Warwick
Models again showing some rain for Friday? @WarwickEye2Sky would probably be best placed to give you the report, but a lot of farmers need some dryer weather for a while around Warwick. Speaking to a bloke on Friday who couldn't get into his paddock to plant his onions!! The Condamine was definitely up yesterday.
Quart Pot Creek was swollen. Great to go to sleep with the sound of it running. Neg 1.1 min at my place this morning.
IMG_5697.jpg
Great pic Sandbank. Yes, I have heard that from several people here that we need to dry out a bit. Even firewood is in short supply as the paddocks are too wet to access the wood. Looks like 10-20mm here for Friday. After that, we may get a couple of weeks to dry out as it looks like we will be in mostly a zonal flow. I think Ken might have alluded to this a short time ago.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
The temperature was near average in the morning and afternoon that was a little variable in the early to mid afternoon. Tonight as the temperature fell steadily it became slightly cool from early tonight. Dew point fell slowly in the morning and afternoon, briefly rose sharply in the late afternoon before falling during the rest of the afternoon to tonight that was close to average.

Relative humidity was near average that became slightly below average in the mid afternoon while the relative humidity rose in the morning and afternoon.After the relative humidity rose from the late afternoon the relative humidity became slightly above average during tonight. Light SSW to SSE winds in the morning, tending E to SE in the earl afternoon becoming S to SW with some variable winds before calm winds from the mid afternoon with some N to NNE winds. Calm winds tonight with some N winds.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-7.PNG
hum 2021-7-7.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-7.PNG

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019

THURSDAY 8 JULY 2021 - TIME 0735

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...11.7C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........81%
CURRENT DEW POINT........8C
CURRENT WIND.......WSW 8Kph
CURRENT PRESSURE..1023.6HpA
CURRENT CLOUD........1/8 Cu, 1/8 Sc, 7/8 Ac

RAIN SINCE WEDNESDAY - 0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........20.6C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......8.6C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-1.20C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......8.0C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......10C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1022.5Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND.....NE 23Kph at 1344

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 8 Jul 2021
Time: 10:20 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 8.3 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 21.3 C
Min Ground Temp: 6.1 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.1 mm (Dew)

Temperature: 16.6 C
Relative Humidity: 70 %
Dew Point: 11.2 C
MSL Pressure: 1023.7 hPa
Wind Speed: 3 kph - light air
Wind Direction: S

Cloud Cover: 7/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 7/7/21: Early Sc clouds clearing to a sunny morning. Some Cu clouds from the middle of the day and mostly sunny in the afternoon. Slightly cool becoming cool in the early morning as the temperature fell steadily before easing to near average from the mid morning that was a little variable in the early to mid afternoon. In the evening as the temperature fell steadily it became slightly cool from early in the evening. Dew point was near average while falling slowly that became slightly below average late in the early hours and in the early morning, then rose in the morning while returning to near average and then fell slowly from the mid morning. In the late afternoon the dew point briefly rose sharply before falling during the rest of the afternoon into the evening that was close to average. Relative humidity rose slowly through to the morning that was near average or slightly above average before falling quickly in the morning close to average that was briefly slightly above average when the relative humidity continued to rise until the mid morning. Relative humidity was near average from the mid morning that became slightly below average in the mid afternoon while the relative humidity rose in the morning and afternoon. After the relative humidity rose from the late afternoon the relative humidity became slightly above average during the evening. Mostly calm winds early before light SSW to SSE winds in the morning, tending E to SE in the early afternoon becoming S to SW with some variable winds before calm winds from the mid afternoon with some N to NNE winds. Calm winds in the evening with some N winds.

Today: At the start of the day the temperature stopped falling and reached the minimum temperature and was slightly before rising during the rest of the early hours that eased to near average and to slightly warm late in the early hours. This morning the temperature continued to rise slowing in the past half hour close to average. Dew point initially fell at the start of the day before rising during the rest of the early hours close to average and continued to rise during this morning slightly above average. From the mid morning the dew point fell close to average. Relative humidity was near average that was stable in the early hours before falling a little slowly this morning after briefly falling quickly slightly above average. Mostly calm winds from early with some W winds early in the day before S to SW winds in the past hour.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1625711244500.png

1625711284390.png

1625711304342.png

1625711322535.png

51298252840_ec51caef9e_o.gif

Been getting some drizzly showers here.

1st image - Multimodel wind gusts for Brisbane over the next few days. The W to SW flow could become quite gusty at times by the middle of the day on Saturday but how strong will depend on how the behaviour of the low that’s expected to form and rapidly intensify off the NSW coast.
2nd image – EC/GFS/ICON consensus map for greater than 25mm of rainfall within the next 5 days.
3rd image – GEFS probability of precip map for Friday (between 4am Fri and 4am Sat in this case due to datafeed problems with the 3-hourly data).
4th image – GFS accumulating rainfall amounts for 5 x 5 gridpoints (total of 25) within a box surrounding Brisbane, lagged over the past 4 runs. This equates to a total of 100 individual forecasts in that area for the next couple of days.
5th image – EC precip and wind animation.

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
1625711244500.png

1625711284390.png

1625711304342.png

1625711322535.png

51298252840_ec51caef9e_o.gif

Been getting some drizzly showers here.

1st image - Multimodel wind gusts for Brisbane over the next few days. The W to SW flow could become quite gusty at times by the middle of the day on Saturday but how strong will depend on how the behaviour of the low that’s expected to form and rapidly intensify off the NSW coast.
2nd image – EC/GFS/ICON consensus map for greater than 25mm of rainfall within the next 5 days.
3rd image – GEFS probability of precip map for Friday (between 4am Fri and 4am Sat in this case due to datafeed problems with the 3-hourly data).
4th image – GFS accumulating rainfall amounts for 5 x 5 gridpoints (total of 25) within a box surrounding Brisbane, lagged over the past 4 runs. This equates to a total of 100 individual forecasts in that area for the next couple of days.
5th image – EC precip and wind animation.
looks like Sydney might cop a hammering - keep everybody indoors?

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
17 minimum here tonight/morning then 48 hrs later 9 deg minimum then by the end of next week climbing past the 12 deg average to the mid teens , why can't it be consistent like summer when it's always 20 something every night lol .

More humidity here today, mowed the lawn and my sunglasses fogged up .

Lawn was slowing down growth until last month . Hopefully i won't have to mow in the next few months being dryer and temps warming from September.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
I have been aware of the term north west cloud band for several years, and it being the probably the more common form of atmospheric river for Australia. They typically help rainfall in southern areas and not consistent for our region. But in the last year or so I have observed their orientation coming more up our way.
Check out the orientation of this GFS forecast moisture feed (IVT) for about a week away.
if this sort thing happens more often they may need to form a new term “west cloud band”

BBD171DD-1914-485B-AF6A-075B4149C6E6.png

Rays74

One of Us
Feb 8, 2020
I have been aware of the term north west cloud band for several years, and it being the probably the more common form of atmospheric river for Australia. They typically help rainfall in southern areas and not consistent for our region. But in the last year or so I have observed their orientation coming more up our way.
Check out the orientation of this GFS forecast moisture feed (IVT) for about a week away.
if this sort thing happens more often they may need to form a new term “west cloud band”

BBD171DD-1914-485B-AF6A-075B4149C6E6.png

That's very interesting to see
Great to see moisture and weather systems traversing across very dry regions of Australia.
Seems to have good tropical in-feed.

Anyone else noticed that for 3 weeks in a row it has rained on a Friday in SE QLD?
Good to see semi regular rain now regardless.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
From late in the morning the temperature was slightly cool that reached the maximum temperature in the late morning before dropping back slightly in the early afternoon before rising slowly during the afternoon and fell from later in the afternoon. Tonight the temperature have been near average that after falling early tonight became stable late tonight. Near average dew point in the morning rose later in the morning and in the afternoon becoming slightly above average from the early afternoon. From the late afternoon the dew point fell easing back to near average tonight before stabilising or rising slowly later tonight becoming slightly above average.

Slightly above average relative humidity in the morning becoming moderately high in the afternoon with the relative humidity stable from the mid morning. During tonight the relative humidity eased to slightly above average while rising. Light S to SW winds in the morning shifted during the middle of the day to E to SE in the early afternoon with some SSE and ENE winds. Light ESE to ENE winds from the mid morning becoming calm from the late afternoon. Later tonight have been some NE winds.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-8.PNG
hum 2021-7-8.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-8.PNG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass