Day to Day NE NSW / QLD weather

Rays74

One of Us
Feb 8, 2020
My feelings may be similar to other members here and thought about it the last few days.

We were welcomed here as refugees of WZ , and we really didn't have anywhere else to go.

Charging for access to a weather forum is counterintuitive personally.

I'm not concerned about the $6.60 P/A.
It's more about the principle about it

We were welcomed here , they increased and gathered up all the members and now we're being asked to pay for something after all being warm and cosy here.

It grinds me a little TBH

Nothing stopping us creating our own (free) Reddit sub forum or something else.

Tsunami

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2019
Cleveland SE QLD
My feelings may be similar to other members here and thought about it the last few days.

We were welcomed here as refugees of WZ , and we really didn't have anywhere else to go.

We were welcomed here , they increased and gathered up all the members and now we're being asked to pay for something after all being warm and cosy here.

Well said mate

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
As I said earlier I am staying. I enjoy the discussions and diverse opinions and still learn bits and pieces and updates even after my 32 years with BoM. Any disagreements I keep to myself and only try to add positive stuff. I do not want this to turn into the political and heavily censored set up that WZ became before they finally killed it.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
1627447781606.png

1627447444453.png

1627447455396.png

Some neat pics of tubes of ice sliding off the dips on a corrugated roof yesterday morning at Tamborine. Photos taken by Rhianon Battistuzzi and shared to fb.

Also above is the multimodel wind gust speeds for Brisbane showing that peak tomorrow due to the front going through.

TweedStorm

One of Us
Jul 6, 2019
Banora Point
Just back to the weather for a wee bit, this winter seems like a classic winter of old to me. Lots of cold air, strong westerlies down to the south, Southern WA getting smashed with storms, all typical Winter weather in Aus.
BOM are hinting at an early build up in the Top End due to rising humidity levels compliments of The Indian Ocean Diapole.
I'm really hoping for an exciting storm season ahead given the potential for plenty of moisture and cold air. Just have to wait and see.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland

It's been a balmy month in northern Queensland, with Townsville on track to register its warmest July on record based on maximum temperatures.

July is typically Townsville's coldest month of the year:

• The long-term average maximum temperature for July is 25.2ºC
  • The average minimum temperature for the month is 13.7ºC
But this year, July has been warmer than June and based on daytime temperatures alone, Townsville is also having its warmest July on record.

As of 9am on Wednesday, Townsville Airport's running monthly average temperatures were:

• Maximum: 27.0ºC
  • Minimum: 16.3ºC
  • Mean: 21.7C
This is currently the highest July monthly maximum temperature on record, beating 26.8ºC from 2003, with data available back to 1941.

With the final four days of the month all forecast to reach 27-28ºC, the current record warm average maximum temperature could edge even higher by the end of July.

Nights have also been warm, but not record-breaking. Townsville's average minimum temperature so far this month is currently the warmest since 2016, making the July running mean temperature Townsville's highest since 2010.

This month's unusually warm temperatures have also been accompanied by plenty of dry days. As of 9am Wednesday, Townsville Airport had only registered 5.4mm of rain, its wettest July in four years.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
By the way, just the slight chance of some thunder in southern or western parts of our region in the very early hours of tomorrow morning as the front comes across (together with some possible very patchy brief light rain or shower activity in the south), but any thunder potential looks localised at best to me.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Very boring weather here nothing much happening, just slightly above average temperatures most nights and days

Will be interesting to see how long this continues

I actually thought it was 24 deg as it felt warm today only got to 21.5deg, guess it was the humidity

1627455187076.png

Here's the humidity from 8am to 4.30pm today

1627455271548.png

Though still a comfortable feels like or app temp. Not breaking out in a sweat just yet.

Last few days my lips cracked with those dry winds...

1627455326387.png

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney

Without getting too much off topic, which I know ski.com don't like, I think this is the best reply so far. The fact ski actually moderate forums properly is a bonus for a start.

My only, shall I say, disappointment about people arcing up about paying for this site, is that, as others have said, this was the place that took us on board and provided what we had at WZ. In fact, they provided far more.
They set up all the forums we used to have at WZ to accommodate us. They didn't need to do that as this is a snow/ski forum firstly and most predominantly. The weather side of things is secondary but is now more catered for than ever, and that is due to all or us newcomers contributions.
Just look at the other attempted start up weather forum sites to replace WZ. especially for this SE QLD thread. All have failed. This one has been incredibly successful, just like the old one at WZ. It's because so many WZ'ers came on board.

If people do not want to pay for a service like this, I'm absolutely fine with that. Everyone has a choice.
It'd just be sad to see such a successful SE QLD/NE NSW thread die in the arse.
I also agree with those that have said that it is about the principle. I'm happy to pay the small fee, but I can understand why many others would not.

Stumer1

One of Us
Sep 7, 2019
Just back to the weather for a wee bit, this winter seems like a classic winter of old to me. Lots of cold air, strong westerlies down to the south, Southern WA getting smashed with storms, all typical Winter weather in Aus.
BOM are hinting at an early build up in the Top End due to rising humidity levels compliments of The Indian Ocean Diapole.
I'm really hoping for an exciting storm season ahead given the potential for plenty of moisture and cold air. Just have to wait and see.
And a possible La Nina in there too, could be an interesting spring and summer.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Slightly above average temperature became warm from later in the morning while rising more slowly, then stabilised in the afternoon when the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon. From later in the afternoon the temperature generally fell, which temporarily rose during tonight before falling while remaining warm. Dew point remained slightly above average during the morning and afternoon that fell later in the morning and became stable from the late morning. Tonight the dew point have been moderately high that after briefly rising sharply generally was stable during tonight.

Relative humidity was near average from the mid morning that after falling quickly in the morning fell more slowly later in the morning and became stable in the afternoon. From early tonight the relative humidity rose that was near or slightly above average. Light NNW to NW winds later in the morning, N to NE in the afternoon with some NNE winds in the mid to late afternoon, followed by N to NNE winds early tonight, then calm winds becoming N to NW winds in the past hour.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-28.PNG
hum 2021-7-28.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-28.PNG

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

THURSDAY 29 JULY 2021 - TIME 0800

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...16.2C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........89%
CURRENT DEW POINT.......14C
CURRENT WIND........NW 4Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....20KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1012.5Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD.......1/8 Cu, 3/8 Sc, 5/8 AcAs
CURRENT WEATHER.....Distant rain, smoke

RAIN SINCE 0900 WEDNESDAY ...Trace

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........22.3C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP......14.8C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..+2.75C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN.....13.2C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......15C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1015.4Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND....NW 27Kph at 1806
PAST 24 HOURS SIG.WEATHER...Smoke haze throughout the period, slight rain after dawn Thursday. No rain recorded.

JULY RAINFALL TO DATE......................70.6mm
JULY AVERAGE RAINFALL......................53.2mm
2021 RAINFALL TO DATE....................1110.8mm
AVERAGE RAINFALL TO END OF JULY...........753.2mm
AVERAGE ANNUAL RAIN TO END OF DEC........1152.4mm

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
It might look like 2 shady dudes doing an illicit substance deal, but it was me hunting down our very own Ken Kato as he sat (and froze) waiting from 3am onward for a few flakes of snow out at Eukey a week ago.
I think he was the coldest person I have ever seen. I'm so grateful for his insights and for those of the rest of the smart dedicated people who post here.
$6.60?? Pretty sure I can dig deep for it. :nerd:
648515372.jpg

Haha well we did score some ice. Just that it wasn't of the illegal variety. But still addictive! By the way, who took the photo?

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Today was the best weather winter day this season so far.
and just when I get comfortable with that the forecast for tomorrow is windy LOL

It probably won't be that windy @Flowin
Gust speeds have downgraded again after the recent upgrade. But still may get a bit of gustiness at times during the middle of the day and afternoon. Just that it doesn't look anywhere near as strong as what we had on Sunday.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 29 Jul 2021
Time: 9:00 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 13.4 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 25.1 C
Min Ground Temp: 10.6 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.3 mm

Temperature: 20.6 C
Relative Humidity: 70 %
Dew Point: 14.9 C
MSL Pressure: 1012.4 hPa
Wind Speed: 11 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: W

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 4/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 28/7/21: Mostly sunny with Cu clouds. Smoke haze from back-burning. The temperature fell steadily in the early hours and early morning that was near average becoming slightly cool in the early morning. In the morning the temperature warmed quickly that was near average and slightly warm from the mid morning and warm from later in the morning while rising more slowly, then stabilised in the afternoon when the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon. From later in the afternoon the temperature generally fell, which temporarily rose during the evening before falling while remaining warm. Dew point fell slowly in the early hours and in the early morning before rising more quickly during the morning that have been near average becoming slightly above average from the mid morning. Later in the morning the dew point fell and became stable from the late morning. In the evening the dew point was moderately high that was generally stable but was a little variable easing to slightly above average in the late evening. Relative humidity rose rather slowly early in the day, rose in the early morning before falling a little quickly during in the morning that was close to average, became slightly above average during the morning and near average from the mid morning. The relative humidity fell more slowly later in the morning and became stable in the afternoon. From early in the evening the relative humidity rose that was near or slightly above average. Calm winds until light NNW to NW winds later in the morning, N to NE in the afternoon with some NNE winds in the mid to late afternoon, followed by N to NNE winds early in the evening, then calm winds becoming N to NW winds in the mid evening and light SSW to W late in the evening with some calm winds.

Today: A brief light shower in the early morning. The temperature have been near average that was stable through to the early morning before rising this morning. Dew point was slightly above average at the start of the day and moderately high during the rest of the early hours, and during this morning while the dew point was stable from early before rising a little this morning. Relative humidity slowly rose from early before starting to fall quickly this morning and have been near average. Winds of between NNW to SSE with calm winds at times in the first half of the early hours, then calm winds before W to WNW winds in the past 45 minutes.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Beautiful day out there today. Cracked 26c. Warmest day here since early May. Looking forward to nudging 30c in a few days. Good times!

The size of the area of upcoming very warm temps in many parts of eastern (and northern Australia where much hotter than normal conditons have been ongoing in many places) is actually quite impressive for this time of year, even though it's not unsual for bursts of warmth to start becoming more common from around this part of the year.

Temps in quite a number of places in eastern and northern Oz are forecast to reach up to 8C above the August average or higher, and well into decile 9 territory as well. Just a few of the examples of upcoming OCF max temps (mainly for Sunday) for some places below.

NSW:
Sydney (Olympic Park) - 25C.
Coffs Harbour and Lismore - 28C.
Kempsey and Grafton - 29C.

SEQ:
Brisbane - 29C.
Maroochydore - 27C.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Over the years of my interests in analysis of rainfall and observations of weather model forecasts I have developed a line of thinking that forecasting rain has diverse skill depending on the perspective of interests in the rainfall forecast.
I have seen that forecasts have great skill at regional scale, if you ask the question is our region likely to get some rain?
I have seen less skill if you ask the question how much rain will I get at a specific location in an event that may have intense rainfall with flash flood potential?
IMO much of the difference between these two questions is in the accuracy for models to forecast heavy rain in the correct location, spatial extent, and amounts of rain.
If the question is more specific about potential flood, some other questions arise. A large river catchment like Fitzroy River in CQ is the scale of a region. In contrast a small creek catchment like Kedron Brook, or Bulimba Creek in suburban Brisbane is much smaller scale and rainfall forecasts are vulnerable to location error. For floods the rate of heavy rainfall is also critical and convective permitting weather models like Access C can provide better forecasts but are still not perfect. I have seen a mix of great and horrendously wrong forecasts with Access C.
Some research on convective permitting models that I have seen concludes that initial conditions of the simulation (implying improved data assimilation could help) and, regional scale synoptics from the parent global circulation model are quite important. But it seems to me there is not a lot of research on location accuracy of such models, at least not in Australia.
I recently found this research on convective permitting models from USA. It found location errors around 40 to 90km, but that isn’t necessarily ”transferable” to our region or Access C.

It would be great to see similar research for our region and the Access C model but none exists that I am aware of. Not unexpected though because the computational effort and maths to analyse rainfall location error is intensive.
Australian research ideas have led the world efforts on spatial verification of forecasts….. google the research citation of Beth Ebert and many studies cite her contributions to Contiguous Rain Area verification. Fascinating stuff for anybody with skills in maths, computer savvy, and interests in weather. I have the interests in weather but am too old to be savvy in computer analysis LOL

Last edited:

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Over the years of my interests in analysis of rainfall and observations of weather model forecasts I have developed a line of thinking that forecasting rain has diverse skill depending on the perspective of interests in the rainfall forecast.
I have seen that forecasts have great skill at regional scale, if you ask the question is our region likely to get some rain?
I have seen less skill if you ask the question how much rain will I get at a specific location in an event that may have intense rainfall with flash flood potential?
IMO much of the difference between these two questions is in the accuracy for models to forecast heavy rain in the correct location, spatial extent, and amounts of rain.
If the question is more specific about potential flood, some other questions arise. A large river catchment like Fitzroy River is CQ is the scale of a region. In contrast a small creek catchment like Kedron Brook, or Bulimba Creek in suburban Brisbane is much smaller scale and rainfall forecasts are vulnerable to location error. For floods the rate of heavy rainfall is also critical and convective permitting weather models like Access C can provide better forecasts but are still not perfect. I have seen a mix of great and horrendously wrong forecasts with Access C.
Some research on convective permitting models that I have seen concludes that initial conditions of the simulation (implying improved data assimilation could help) and, regional scale synoptics from the parent global circulation model are quite important. But it seems to me there is not a lot of research on location accuracy of such models, at least not in Australia.
I recently found this research on convective permitting models from USA. It found location errors around 40 to 90km, but that isn’t necessarily ”transferable” to our region or Access C.

It would be great to see similar research for our region and the Access C model but none exists that I am aware of. Not unexpected though because the computational effort and maths to analyse rainfall location error is intensive.
Australian research ideas have led the world efforts on spatial verification of forecasts….. google the research citation of Beth Ebert and many studies cite her contributions to Contiguous Rain Area verification. Fascinating stuff for anybody wit skills in maths, computer savvy, and interests in weather. I have the interests in weather but am too old to be savvy in computer analysis LOL

Yep, most of that goes back to the general principle that precip is often much harder to forecast accurately on smaller scales compared to many other parameters such as temps. In particular, QPF. Which is a bit of an irony considering rainfall amounts are arguably the thing that most people in this country want to know about the most.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Beth Ebert some years ago too. She's got an absolutely brilliant mind and also has a great knack of telling it like how it is. One of the best scientists in the field IMO and was one of the main people involved in developing the PME/WATL concept.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Yep, most of that goes back to the general principle that precip is often much harder to forecast accurately on smaller scales compared to many other parameters such as temps. In particular, QPF. Which is a bit of an irony considering rainfall amounts are arguably the thing that most people in this country want to know about the most.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Beth Ebert some years ago too. She's got an absolutely brilliant mind and also has a great knack of telling it like how it is. One of the best scientists in the field IMO and was one of the main people involved in developing the PME/WATL concept.
Hopefully some smart upcoming Australian scientists will follow in Beth’s footsteps. Australia has a long history of innovative research and ideas that doesn’t continue to development which is somewhat sad but still better than nothing. Given our population to land area ratio hopefully we will continue to lead location accuracy of forecasts in the world research.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Hopefully some smart upcoming Australian scientists will follow in Beth’s footsteps. Australia has a long history of innovative research and ideas that doesn’t continue to development which is somewhat sad but still better than nothing. Given our population to land area ratio hopefully we will continue to lead location accuracy of forecasts in the world research.

Indeed. From what I've seen personally over many years, the main problems in this country have been a long-entrenched culture of apathy and an overly conservative mentality involving an unwillingness by many to go out on a limb and take on new innovative daring projects. And a lot of new things have to be proven 1000 times in other countries around the world before it's ever accepted here.
This has made otherwise great ideas from talented individuals exceptionally hard to get off the ground and as a result, many have had to go overseas to develop their concepts further (and ended up being successful) because no-one here was interested or willing to spend a single cent on things that had the real potential to pay more than their worth in the long run. A real "brain drain" out of this country

This is in stark contrast to the US where there's generally far more innovative and daring ideas, many of which do get off the drawing board. You may have heard the term "a land of opportunity" used to describe them and it's quite apt too. It even shows in the big differences between the enormous range of sophisticated weather products based on new concepts they have over there, and the generally very crude and limited range we have here in comparison.

Of course, there's always exceptions and some innovative ideas developed in this country have gone on to become known around the world e.g. Profressor Ian Fraser's HPV vaccine, flight recorders carried on aircraft, etc. There's other complicating factors as well such as less population, resources, and numbers of organisations available to take on new ideas, the reality that a large proportion of new ideas never get to see the light of day because they don't work as well as hoped in real life so organisations are naturally wary of spending money on them. And things have been improving for Australia on this front.

But there's still a big element of short sightedness, apathy and overly conservative attitudes that are still making it harder to get new ideas off the ground in this country compared to many others.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Indeed. From what I've seen personally over many years, the main problems in this country have been a long-entrenched culture of apathy and an overly conservative mentality involving an unwillingness by many to go out on a limb and take on new innovative daring projects. And a lot of new things have to be proven 1000 times in other countries around the world before it's ever accepted here.
This has made otherwise great ideas from talented individuals exceptionally hard to get off the ground and as a result, many have had to go overseas to develop their concepts further (and ended up being successful) because no-one here was interested or willing to spend a single cent on things that had the real potential to pay more than their worth in the long run. A real "brain drain" out of this country

This is in stark contrast to the US where there's generally far more innovative and daring ideas, many of which do get off the drawing board. You may have heard the term "a land of opportunity" used to describe them and it's quite apt too. It even shows in the big differences between the enormous range of sophisticated weather products based on new concepts they have over there, and the generally very crude and limited range we have here in comparison.

Of course, there's always exceptions and some innovative ideas developed in this country have gone on to become known around the world e.g. Profressor Ian Fraser's HPV vaccine, flight recorders carried on aircraft, etc. There's other complicating factors as well such as less population, resources, and numbers of organisations available to take on new ideas, the reality that a large proportion of new ideas never get to see the light of day because they don't work as well as hoped in real life so organisations are naturally wary of spending money on them. And things have been improving for Australia on this front.

But there's still a big element of short sightedness, apathy and overly conservative attitudes that are still making it harder to get new ideas off the ground in this country compared to many others.
I agree.
Courage, and commitment are traits of great value. Institutional or cultural resistance is a curse and I would always encourage talent to pursue an idea because it can produce change that otherwise won’t happen if one waits for someone else to “lead”.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
The temperature was warm in the morning and afternoon that rose to hot in the mid to late morning and eased a little to slightly warm in the late afternoon. This is as the temperature rose quickly until the mid morning, then more slowly in the maximum temperature in the early afternoon and became stable until later in the afternoon. Tonight it have been warm while the temperature falls. Dew point remained moderately high until the mid morning, then eased to slightly above average, to near average in the afternoon and slightly below average in the late afternoon while the dew point fell from the mid morning. The dew point fell until early tonight before starting to rise a little after becoming moderately low from early tonight. Relative humidity was near average that became slightly below average from the mid morning and moderately low in the late afternoon as the relative humidity fell quickly until the mid morning and more slowly to the late afternoon. Tonight the relative humidity have rose, slowly at first and more quickly during tonight that was low early tonight, became very low and eased to low in the past hour. Light WNW to WSW from the mid morning, became W to SW in the afternoon and early tonight, then W to WSW before W to NW winds with some calm winds in the past hour.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-7-29.PNG
hum 2021-7-29.PNG
wind dir 2021-7-29.PNG

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
2.4mm in the 24hrs to 9am from the frontal rainband. July rainfall will finish somewhat below average.

The size of the area of upcoming very warm temps in many parts of eastern (and northern Australia where much hotter than normal conditons have been ongoing in many places) is actually quite impressive for this time of year, even though it's not unsual for bursts of warmth to start becoming more common from around this part of the year.

Temps in quite a number of places in eastern and northern Oz are forecast to reach up to 8C above the August average or higher, and well into decile 9 territory as well. Just a few of the examples of upcoming OCF max temps (mainly for Sunday) for some places below.

NSW:
Sydney (Olympic Park) - 25C.
Coffs Harbour and Lismore - 28C.
Kempsey and Grafton - 29C.

SEQ:
Brisbane - 29C.
Maroochydore - 27C.
If those kind of temps were forecast to happen a day earlier on July 31st instead of Aug 1st, they would have given some of the existing July max records a scare along the north coast (e.g. July max records are 30.3°C at Coffs [29/7/1958], 28.9°C at Lismore [29/7/1958], 28.2°C in Grafton [1/7/1970], 28.2°C in Kempsey [18/7/1974]).

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

FRIDAY 30 JULY 2021 - TIME 0735

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...10.8C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........74%
CURRENT DEW POINT........6C
CURRENT WIND.......SSE 2Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....30KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1012.5Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD.......1/8 Cu
CURRENT WEATHER.....No significant weather.

RAIN SINCE 0900 THURSDAY ...0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........25.5C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......8.0C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..+0.95C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......6.9C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......10C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1016.0Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND....W 32Kph at 1359
PAST 24 HOURS SIG.WEATHER...Smoke haze cleared mid afternoon Thursday with gusty SW wind change.

JULY RAINFALL TO DATE......................70.6mm
JULY AVERAGE RAINFALL......................53.2mm
2021 RAINFALL TO DATE....................1110.8mm
AVERAGE RAINFALL TO END OF JULY...........753.2mm
AVERAGE ANNUAL RAIN TO END OF DEC........1152.4mm

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
2.4mm in the 24hrs to 9am from the frontal rainband. July rainfall will finish somewhat below average.

If those kind of temps were forecast to happen a day earlier on July 31st instead of Aug 1st, they would have given some of the existing July max records a scare along the north coast (e.g. July max records are 30.3°C at Coffs [29/7/1958], 28.9°C at Lismore [29/7/1958], 28.2°C in Grafton [1/7/1970], 28.2°C in Kempsey [18/7/1974]).

It's well within the realms of realistic possibility that aside from northern and central Australia, a number of places in northern NSW and southern QLD (particularly inland) could well still set new records for being the warmest this early in August as the extremely warm air gets dragged down into those areas ahead of the next front.
Standard August records are also in danger of being broken in these areas but with the main focus once again being inland.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass