Day to Day NE NSW / QLD weather

Fattious

Early Days
Oct 30, 2020
Show's over folks, it's now the Marburg echo intermission.

bne.6deg_409_20210913-1450.gif

Kazza47

One of Us
Jul 28, 2019
1mm Cleveland
Cat was howling at the fence, heard the rain on the roof, spun round looked at me. He then realised he was getting wet and hit 100mile an hour over the back lawn to cover.
Funny to wittness..
Lol, they are strange sometimes.
Mine hides in a drain nearby; she obviously got caught out when the rain came. I expect she'll be waltzing in soon telling me all her adventures; or bringing me a new mouse ..........

PlumbBob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Molendinar
Hi @PlumbBob ... just a clarification. While there are over twenty dams in SEQ, the so called Grid% on the Seqwater website are 12 dams for which water can be supplied from them into the grid connected network.
The dams you mentioned below 5% (Lockyer dams) and others in the Scenic Rim region such as Moogerah and Maroon are not in the grid 12 dams total%.

The water situation is still quite tenuous in SEQ, grid 12 below 60% and Wivenhoe around 40%. Mandatory water restrictions likely to come in a short while if decent rains do not produce runoff into the dams (particularly Wivenhoe).

PS nice photo of the Hinze Dam spillway. I was involved in the design of that spillway. It was a great project.
Cheers @Flowin , I didn't know that, appreaciated and understand champ.
-----------------------------------------------
----------------------
Awesome color in them Sunsets @Craig B, fantastic :cool:
-------------------------------------------
----------------------
Well we had this huge defined line in the cloud today, Iv stitched 4 landscape frames vertically, so the top of the image is actually bout 20 degs behind my head, taken 10am

W_3418PStM1.jpg

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Lol, they are strange sometimes.
Mine hides in a drain nearby; she obviously got caught out when the rain came. I expect she'll be waltzing in soon telling me all her adventures; or bringing me a new mouse ..........
LOL
my cat doesn’t hide she‘s on the bed all the time….indoors girl she is
i reckon she says sometimes what weather happening today cos she doesn’t go out into the weather
sort of makes me laugh, cry, and wonder
cry cos she don’t go outside
wonder what her world is like without ‘experiencing’ the weather
and laugh because I do try to feel and guess the weather :cool:

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Howsey gentlemen, Going through a quiet period weather wise, standard for this time of year, beautiful start to spring to, noice pics KK & Sandbank, and write-ups, incl Flowin & rest of the group :thumbs:

I saw the approaching trough for later this week-end the other day showing some promise of a wet-down along with a bit of instability, but low-&-behold, since been down graded, ahh well, bit early to expect too much :oops:

Anyways, went for a bit of a Blatt today, dropped into Hinzes Dam, beauty of a day and nice to see its capacity @ 94%'ish,, and the whole SE Grid not bad @ 57.5%, but if take away the 3 dams below 5%, this would change the average of the remaining 21 dams to be @ 81.7% not bad at all comng out of the dry season, funny only 12months or so ago, everybody worried about the Big Dry & Aus being burnt to the ground... can never tell in reality eh..

HavaGoodN

W01bM1.jpg

W02bM1.jpg

W03b.jpg
@PlumbBob this is what that spillway looks like with a bit of water that SEQ weather can sometimes bring :emoji_cloud_rain:

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
A few drops of rain in the late afternoon. While the temperature rose in the morning the temperature became warm in the mid morning and hot in the late morning and in the middle of the day. After the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon the temperature generally fell in the afternoon that eased to slightly warm in the early afternoon and to near average in the mid afternoon. In the late afternoon and early tonight the temperature became slightly warm and eased to near average during the rest of the tonight while the temperature fell. Slightly above average dew point in the morning while rising, then became moderately high from the mid morning and became stable before generally rising slowly in the afternoon. From the late afternoon the dew point fell and eased to slightly above average during tonight and near average late tonight.

Relative humidity was near average in the morning before the relative humidity rose from the early afternoon that became slightly above average in the early afternoon, moderately high in the mid afternoon and high late in the afternoon. During tonight the relative humidity eased to moderately high, then slightly above average during tonight and near average late tonight as the relative humidity fell a little late tonight. Light N to NE winds in the morning before tending N to NW and then NNW to WSW later n the morning and in the early afternoon. In the early afternoon the wind shifted ESE to NE, then light N to NE winds in the late afternoon with some variable winds before calm tonight with some W winds later tonight.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-9-13.PNG
hum 2021-9-13.PNG
wind dir 2021-9-13.PNG

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 14 Sep 2021
Time: 8:20 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 11.4 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 31 C
Min Ground Temp: 7.4 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 17.7 C
Relative Humidity: 39 %
Dew Point: 3.5 C
MSL Pressure: 1016.6 hPa
Wind Speed: 8 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: SW

Present Weather: No cloud development observed
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 0/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 13/9/21: Sunny in morning with Ac and Sc clouds becoming partly cloudy in the middle of the day and cloudy at times in the afternoon with Sc and Cu clouds. A light few drops in the late afternoon. The temperature fell steadily in the early hours while easing from hot at the start of the day to slightly warm late in the early hours and to near average in the early morning. While the temperature rose in the morning the temperature became warm in the mid morning and hot in the late morning and in the middle of the day. After the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon the temperature generally fell in the afternoon that eased to slightly warm in the early afternoon and to near average in the mid afternoon. In the late afternoon and early evening the temperature became slightly warm and eased to near average during the rest of the evening while the temperature fell. Dew point was slightly above average that fell slowly in the early hours, then rose from the early morning before rising more slowly that became moderately high from the mid morning and became stable before generally rising slowly in the afternoon. From the late afternoon the dew point fell and eased to slightly above average during the evening and near average late in the evening. Relative humidity steadily rose in the early hours and early morning easing from slightly below average at the start of the day to near average from the middle of the early hours. In the morning the relative humidity fell slowly before the relative humidity rose from the early afternoon that became slightly above average in the early afternoon, moderately high in the mid afternoon and high late in the afternoon. During the evening the relative humidity eased to moderately high, then slightly above average during the evening and near average late in the evening as the relative humidity fell a little late in the evening. Mostly calm winds from early with some SW winds with some S to SW or variable winds in the early morning before light NNW to NNE winds in the morning before tending N to NW and then NNW to WSW later n the morning and in the early afternoon. In the early afternoon the wind shifted ESE to NE, then light N to NE winds in the late afternoon with some variable winds before calm in the evening with some W winds later in the evening.

Today: The temperature have been near average from early while the temperature fell in the first half of the early hours and became generally stable during the rest of the early hours and in the early morning that rose and fell several times. This morning the temperature have remained close to average while rising. Dew point steadily fell from early, rose slightly in the early morning before falling this morning being near average at the start of the day, slightly below average in the second half of the early hours and moderately low during this morning. Relative humidity generally fell from early before falling more quickly during this morning that was slightly below average, moderately low from the middle of the early hours and low from the early morning. Mostly calm winds in the early hours with some variable winds, then light W to SW in the early morning with some calm winds before light N to NE were followed by N to NW and then SW winds this morning.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
Only 2 hours late getting this out due no internet AGAIN.....

WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

TUESDAY 14 SEPTEMBER 2021 - TIME 0755

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...17.6C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........54%
CURRENT DEW POINT........8C
CURRENT WIND......WSW 16Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....40KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1016.6Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD.....Nil cloud
CURRENT WEATHER..No significant weather.

RAIN SINCE 0900 MONDAY....Trace

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........26.6C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP......11.0C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..+0.05C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......9.9C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......14C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1013.0Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND...N 27Kph at 1635
PAST 24 HOURS SIG.WEATHER..Slight shower 1500K Monday. No rain recorded.

SEPTEMBER RAINFALL TO DATE....................5.2mm
SEPTEMBER AVERAGE RAINFALL...................31.3mm
2021 RAINFALL TO DATE......................1132.8mm
AVERAGE RAINFALL TO END OF SEPTEMBER........827.5mm
AVERAGE ANNUAL RAIN TO END OF DEC..........1152.4mm

LDRcycles

One of Us
Jul 16, 2019
Kin Kin
A very surprising 17.3mm here (Kin Kin) this afternoon! It is very welcome as we probably only have 3 to 4 weeks of water left. I wasn't home at the time but have seen a drone pic which showed it even had a nice little shelf cloud..

And naturally one of my goats gave birth just as the storm hit! Mum and bub both happy once we got them into a warm dry shed.

241759884_10226878486567705_1671932233967165913_n.jpg

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
A La-Nina Watch has been activated for anyone interested. The official criteria used in Australia for a Watch are as follows:

" When these criteria have been met in the past, a La Niña event has developed around 50% of the time. All the following criteria need to be satisfied:
1). Current climate state: ENSO phase is currently neutral or declining El Niño.
2). Either:
SOI analogues: Of the 10 years that most closely resemble the current SOI pattern, 4 or more have shown La Niña characteristics.
Or:
Sub-surface: Significant sub-surface cooling has been observed in the western or central equatorial Pacific Ocean.
3). Models: One-third or more of surveyed climate models show sustained cooling to at least 0.8 °C below average in the NINO3 or NINO3.4 regions of the Pacific Ocean by late winter or spring. "

Screen-Shot-2017-10-25-at-5.50.41-am.png

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Lets hope for a wet Lanina for Qld.......last one was a flop for southern Qld.

It sure didn't live up to typical La Nina rainfall expectations @Tsunami although it ended up being more that CQ to Wide Bay zone which ended up suffering much worse than far southern QLD overall.

Far southern QLD ended up getting above average rainfall when looking at the overall Oct-Apr period (which was an extension of the really wet conditions in eastern NSW) but even here, it was erratic during that period and a fair chunk of that also came while La Nina was winding up and eastern NSW was flooding.

Tsunami

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2019
Cleveland SE QLD
It sure didn't live up to typical La Nina rainfall expectations @Tsunami although it ended up being more that CQ to Wide Bay zone which ended up suffering much worse than far southern QLD overall.

Far southern QLD ended up getting above average rainfall when looking at the overall Oct-Apr period (which was an extension of the really wet conditions in eastern NSW) but even here, it was erratic during that period and a fair chunk of that also came while La Nina was winding up and eastern NSW was flooding.
Yes Ken
Last January we got 200mm in 2 hrs, did all sorts of nasty things, then nothing.
Be nice to get things a bit more spread out, i do like a good deluge but that was ridiculous

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
todays posts in this thread have influenced this post
I am in XXXX and bourbon and CC camps…
And geez this chaffing is getting my goat up

and other big picture stuff

this thread is now 400 pages and over 20,000 responses
do we need to do a ’reset’?
I have raised this before and responses were mixed on what time of year to do that
I would prefer not restart the thread in the typical spring into summer storm season
I would prefer not restart the thread in summer into autumn tropical weather season or should I say the gamble of our suboptimal tropical region…. And what ‘climate’ would one say for that weather event that forecast and happened ‘differently’ last Easter Sunday/Monday? a near miss La Niña ?
I would prefer not reset the thread for the autumn winter season cos I like the unpredictability of the East Coast Low weather :cool:
so that leaves the winter into spring as a time to do a ‘thread restart’……. Sort of like maybe now?

any views from others welcome on this …

@POW Hungry any Mod thoughts, concern, comments?

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Personally, I prefer we just leave it the way it is without a reset. I'm not sure there's many people who'd regularly scroll back through dozens and dozens of pages looking for info about a particular season or event. And even for those who do want to search for past info, the advanced search function on this forum (which I sometimes use myself) allows searching between two customisable dates.

There's also always the possibility that weather events can occur at any time of year here rather than always a sharp cutoff from lots to nothing at the same times each year.

But that's just me. I'm sure some others have different thoughts.

Tsunami

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2019
Cleveland SE QLD
Yes Ken
Last January we got 200mm in 2 hrs, did all sorts of nasty things, then nothing.
Be nice to get things a bit more spread out, i do like a good deluge but that was ridiculous
todays posts in this thread have influenced this post
I am in XXXX and bourbon and CC camps…
And geez this chaffing is getting my goat up

and other big picture stuff

this thread is now 400 pages and over 20,000 responses
do we need to do a ’reset’?
I have raised this before and responses were mixed on what time of year to do that
I would prefer not restart the thread in the typical spring into summer storm season
I would prefer not restart the thread in summer into autumn tropical weather season or should I say the gamble of our suboptimal tropical region…. And what ‘climate’ would one say for that weather event that forecast and happened ‘differently’ last Easter Sunday/Monday? a near miss La Niña ?
I would prefer not reset the thread for the autumn winter season cos I like the unpredictability of the East Coast Low weather :cool:
so that leaves the winter into spring as a time to do a ‘thread restart’……. Sort of like maybe now?

any views from others welcome on this …

@POW Hungry any Mod thoughts, concern, comments?
Like it flown.chaff.
P, its just what is the point. Build a radar for weather. Defence now use it to practice block radar etc etc etc.
Totally understand if war time.
Just a bloody waste unless youre a war monger

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Like it flown.chaff.
P, its just what is the point. Build a radar for weather. Defence now use it to practice block radar etc etc etc.

As mentioned the other day, one of the uses for chaff is to mask maneuvers including in peacetime @Tsunami
It doesn't have to be war. It all goes back to the whole "if certain tactical knowledge falls into the wrong hands" thing. It's also used for training and the purpose of that training is so it can be done if or when it needs to be done for real. There's a lot more to the story than just an assumption that Defence chucks around chaff for the hell of it.
No-one sets out to deliberately "block" weather radars, regardless of whether you agree with the moral and political aspects of it or not.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Personally, I prefer we just leave it the way it is without a reset. I'm not sure there's many people who'd regularly scroll back through dozens and dozens of pages looking for info about a particular season or event. And even for those who do want to search for past info, the advanced search function on this forum (which I sometimes use myself) allows searching between two customisable dates.

There's also always the possibility that weather events can occur at any time of year here rather than always a sharp cutoff from lots to nothing at the same times each year.

But that's just me. I'm sure some others have different thoughts.
I agree and would prefer a continuous thread too…
I am just mindful that Mods put effort in to manage all this
and that when the occasional ‘events’ happen….start an event thread for it
@POW Hungry any views…
using persistence forecasting this thread has an outlook to get bigger.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Box Hill, VIC
A La-Nina Watch has been activated for anyone interested. The official criteria used in Australia for a Watch are as follows:

" When these criteria have been met in the past, a La Niña event has developed around 50% of the time. All the following criteria need to be satisfied:
1). Current climate state: ENSO phase is currently neutral or declining El Niño.
2). Either:
SOI analogues: Of the 10 years that most closely resemble the current SOI pattern, 4 or more have shown La Niña characteristics.
Or:
Sub-surface: Significant sub-surface cooling has been observed in the western or central equatorial Pacific Ocean.
3). Models: One-third or more of surveyed climate models show sustained cooling to at least 0.8 °C below average in the NINO3 or NINO3.4 regions of the Pacific Ocean by late winter or spring. "

Screen-Shot-2017-10-25-at-5.50.41-am.png
BOM Always seems overly cautious to upgrade to LaNin watch, which I find weird.
They're kinda late to the party.

I mean it's on 'watch' it's not like they're locking themselves in.
Are there any actual parameters for when a Nina or Nino watch is declared?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Are there any actual parameters for when a Nina or Nino watch is declared?

I included the criteria in my original post about the La Nina Watch @Jellybeans

2). Either:
Or:

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
I included the criteria in my original post about the La Nina Watch @Jellybeans

2). Either:
Or:
great to see some objective criteria are used rather than gut feel
it would be great if some other index more specific to a region were useful and had similarly defined evidence reasoning criteria
I posted some time ago about the Gayndah Deniliquin Index….rare though
guess the question I would ask is a specific index for a region worth defining and investing research into it? I sort of think yes

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
In my experience, as far as the East Coast is concerned a double-dip LaNin event is usually pretty lame on the initial phase and 'all-in' on the second.

Smells like less chaff, more precip for you XXXX drinkers up North. ;)
Here's what I mean by that Double-Dip 'second hit' generally being 'bigger', This the last genuine 'back to back' La Nin (with minimumal perturbation of IOD signal etc).

2007/2008, with SOI signal (MA) looking remarkably similar around OND months. Only major YoY difference is that LN signal is well-matured, by the Austral Summer.
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.25.06 pm.png

And here's the Nov rainfall anoms comparitively side-by-side.
Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.16.34 pm.png

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Yeah 07/08 is when we were climbing out of the millennium drought
I remember flooded coal mines such as the Ensham mine in CQ in 08
the gap storm in western Brisbane in November 08 - the destruction that storm caused is still iconic
ECL May 09
but Brisbane got it harder in 10/11
most memorable for me that I personally witnessed was flying over flooded lake eyre winter season 2010

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Near average temperature in the morning became slightly cool later in the morning and became cool in the afternoon while the temperature rose a little slowly to the maximum temperature in the early afternoon. During the rest of the afternoon and tonight the temperature have been falling while easing to near average early tonight becoming slightly cool during tonight and cool later tonight. Dew point fell during the morning and became low before stabilising later in the morning becoming very low to a low of -1 C. In the afternoon the dew point was generally stable that was low to very low, easing to low early tonight and moderately low during the rest of tonight as the dew point rose for a period early tonight before stabilising during the rest of tonight.

Relative humidity briefly became very low in the morning while falling quickly before easing to low from the mid morning as the relative humidity fell more slowly. In the afternoon the relative humidity was stable before rising from the late afternoon being moderately low in the first half of the afternoon, then low from later in the afternoon and became moderately low during tonight. Light W to SW with some SSW winds in the morning and afternoon with the wind speed increasing to light to moderate from the late morning to mid afternoon before easing from later in the afternoon. Light S to SW winds early tonight, then mostly S to SSW before calm winds later tonight.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2021-9-14.PNG
hum 2021-9-14.PNG
wind dir 2021-9-14.PNG

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

WEDNESDAY 15 SEPTEMBER 2021 - TIME 0755

CURRENT TEMPERATURE...16.2C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........55%
CURRENT DEW POINT........7C
CURRENT WIND.......SW 10Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....30KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1020.5Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD.....1/8 Cu
CURRENT WEATHER..No significant weather.

RAIN SINCE 0900 TUESDAY....0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........22.4C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......8.0C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-3.55C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......6.0C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.......3C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1017.1Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND...SW 35Kph at 1215
PAST 24 HOURS SIG.WEATHER..No significant weather.

SEPTEMBER RAINFALL TO DATE....................5.2mm
SEPTEMBER AVERAGE RAINFALL...................31.3mm
2021 RAINFALL TO DATE......................1132.8mm
AVERAGE RAINFALL TO END OF SEPTEMBER........827.5mm
AVERAGE ANNUAL RAIN TO END OF DEC..........1152.4mm

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 15 Sep 2021
Time: 8:15 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 7.6 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 22.9 C
Min Ground Temp: 4.8 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 16.1 C
Relative Humidity: 50 %
Dew Point: 5.7 C
MSL Pressure: 1019.9 hPa
Wind Speed: 12 kph - gentle breeze
Wind Direction: S

Present Weather: No cloud development observed
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 0/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 14/9/21: Sunny with some Cu clouds in the afternoon. The temperature was near average from early while the temperature fell in the first half of the early hours and became generally stable during the rest of the early hours and in the early morning that rose and fell several times. In the morning the temperature rose a little slowly that became slightly cool later in the morning and cool in the afternoon. After the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon the temperature fell during the rest of the afternoon and in the evening while easing to near average early in the evening becoming slightly cool during the evening and cool later in the evening. Dew point steadily fell from early, rose slightly in the early morning before falling during the morning being near average at the start of the day, slightly below average in the second half of the early hours and low during the morning. Later in the morning the dew point stabilised becoming very low to a low of -1 C. In the afternoon the dew point was generally stable that was low to very low, easing to low early in the evening and moderately low during the rest of the evening as the dew point rose for a period early in the evening before stabilising during the rest of the evening. Relative humidity generally fell from early before falling more quickly during the morning that was slightly below average, moderately low from the middle of the early hours and low from the early morning. Relative humidity briefly became very low in the morning while falling quickly before easing to low from the mid morning as the relative humidity fell more slowly. In the afternoon the relative humidity was stable before rising from the late afternoon being moderately low in the first half of the afternoon, then low from later in the afternoon and became moderately low during the evening. Mostly calm winds in the early hours with some variable winds, then light W to SW in the early morning with some calm winds before light N to NE were followed by N to NW in the morning and then W to SW winds from the mid morning with some SSW winds in the morning with the wind speed increasing to light to moderate from the late morning to mid afternoon before easing from later in the afternoon. Light S to SW winds early in the evening, then mostly S to SSW before calm winds later in the evening.

Today: After the temperature fell from the start of day the temperature temporarily rose before falling a little late in the early hours to the minimum temperature in the early morning being cool. This morning the temperature have rose close to average. Dew point have been moderately low that was stable that rose a little slowly this morning. Relative humidity was slightly below average and moderately low at times from early that stopped rising half way through the early hours, became stable before falling from the early morning that became low during this morning. Calm winds early before light S to SW winds during this morning.

Chris1979

First Runs
Sep 15, 2021
Like it flown.chaff.
Just to clarify, RAAF base Amberley was built in 1940 with the Western Training Area (Aircraft Training Airspace) established shortly after. 1973 Saw the F-111 (first real chaff deploying aircraft) based at Amberley and exercised extensively in the area. Mt Stapleton Radar built in 2006. As Ken alluded too, the military extensively test weapons and decoy's to demonstrate system performance and functionality as maintenance as well as test and validate tactics. If you are waiting until "wartime" to do this then you are setting up our service men and women for failure. They are doing it to ensure if they have to go into battle, they have the skills and proven equipment to bring them home.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Just to clarify, RAAF base Amberley was built in 1940 with the Western Training Area (Aircraft Training Airspace) established shortly after. 1973 Saw the F-111 (first real chaff deploying aircraft) based at Amberley and exercised extensively in the area. Mt Stapleton Radar built in 2006. As Ken alluded too, the military extensively test weapons and decoy's to demonstrate system performance and functionality as maintenance as well as test and validate tactics. If you are waiting until "wartime" to do this then you are setting up our service men and women for failure. They are doing it to ensure if they have to go into battle, they have the skills and proven equipment to bring them home.

Indeed. In fact, not only has chaff been around for far longer than weather radars in this country, the irony is that weather radars themselves originated from the use of military radars in WW2 when it was discovered by accident that precip showed up on military radars back then as well.

On another topic, some nice cool temps around yesterday - Toowomba was 14.2C at midday (max of 15.4C) with apparent temp of 4.4C. Meanwhile Applethorpe was 10C at midday (max of 12.8C) with AT of 3.7C

PlumbBob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Molendinar
It all goes back to the whole "if certain tactical knowledge falls into the wrong hands" thing. It's also used for training and the purpose of that training is so it can be done if or when it needs to be done for real. There's a lot more to the story than just an assumption that Defence chucks around chaff for the hell of it.
No-one sets out to deliberately "block" weather radars, regardless of whether you agree with the moral and political aspects of it or not.
There is however a lot of training going on with it then, whats their idea to train 5 days a week every 2nd week, do these chaffers forget how it all works after a few days, or do they yet know how it works at all, needs testing testing testing, geeze, been doing it for since whenever..
Also doubt its a big secret with all the worlds satilites watching it or has it been hidden from them ,,,

Honestly, I dont mind it popping up once a month, but .

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
There is however a lot of training going on with it then, whats their idea to train 5 days a week every 2nd week, do these chaffers forget how it all works after a few days, or do they yet know how it works at all, needs testing testing testing, geeze, been doing it for since whenever..
Also doubt its a big secret with all the worlds satilites watching it or has it been hidden from them ,,,

Honestly, I dont mind it popping up once a month, but .

It's not just training @PlumbBob
The typical Mon-Fri flying regime for fighter aircraft from places like Amberley with one to two sorties a day has been in place for decades now so that frequency of flying is nothing new.
As I've mentioned previously, a number of tactics and maneuvers are also classified and restricted to the Five Eyes nations. It's considered important to keep it that way regardless of whether it's peacetime for obvious reasons.

Even with training itself, it doesn't just stop as soon as people graduate from whatever aircraft they get qualified on. It progressively moves on to more advanced components and tactics that people get qualified and proficient in. It's not like getting your driver's licence where once you get your licence, that's it.

There's also a continual progression of new aircrew that come in and have to be trained up and qualified in different things as other older aircrew move on from their roles.
Constantly pushing high performance aircraft to their limits while also operating all the systems and maintaining situational awareness in lots of different scenarios is a demanding high-workload environment. And it's a gradually perishable skill. That's why training and remaining proficient is everything. It's also why there's minimum requirements for all aircrews to do a certain amount of flying in different aspects of their role even after all the initial training's finished. Otherwise you compromise safety. When our aircrews get deployed on operations to overseas such as Afghanistan, that training is what can literally separate life and death for those operating in a hostile environment.

Even though chaff's a self-defence countermeasure, electronic warfare in general is a very complex beast and needs a lot of planning, coordination, and timing with lots of possible different scenarios. And that's even without mentioning all the huge complexities to do with how EW systems deal with jamming, countermeasures, detection, etc with different tactics. It's basically a science unto itself.
The aim of exercises and training is to prepare for all sorts of different eventualities in the most realistic way possible.

As I also mentioned some time ago, dual polarised radars used by forecasters have an improved capability to discriminate between chaff and real precip compared to previous radars which is important if there's severe weather around.

I totally get why it can be annoying when it comes to weather radars but I'm sorry to say that at the end of the day, complaining on a weather forum isn't going to achieve anything apart from feeling better for venting. Regardless of what someone's political or moral beliefs are, the simple fact is that there's a bigger picture and a lot of things aren't as simple as they might sound.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
As I also mentioned some time ago, dual polarised radars used by forecasters have an improved capability to discriminate between chaff and real precip compared to previous radars which is important if there's severe weather around.
is that why accumulation radar rain totals not showing much?
if so that is good

Mezo

One of Us
Dec 11, 2019
Springfield
God this weather is SO boring...my 'Lucas meter' is displaying extended dry conditions...ie I need to go buy a new tube of papaw ointment lip balm. Sigh.

Yep and doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

I just had a look over my weather station data for last year - we didn't get any significant spring rain until October 24th! Geez, I hope we don't have to wait that long again!

PlumbBob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Molendinar
It's not just training @PlumbBob
The typical Mon-Fri flying regime for fighter aircraft from places like Amberley with one to two sorties a day has been in place for decades now so that frequency of flying is nothing new.
As I've mentioned previously, a number of tactics and maneuvers are also classified and restricted to the Five Eyes nations. It's considered important to keep it that way regardless of whether it's peacetime for obvious reasons.

Even with training itself, it doesn't just stop as soon as people graduate from whatever aircraft they get qualified on. It progressively moves on to more advanced components and tactics that people get qualified and proficient in. It's not like getting your driver's licence where once you get your licence, that's it.

There's also a continual progression of new aircrew that come in and have to be trained up and qualified in different things as other older aircrew move on from their roles.
Constantly pushing high performance aircraft to their limits while also operating all the systems and maintaining situational awareness in lots of different scenarios is a demanding high-workload environment. And it's a gradually perishable skill. That's why training and remaining proficient is everything. It's also why there's minimum requirements for all aircrews to do a certain amount of flying in different aspects of their role even after all the initial training's finished. Otherwise you compromise safety. When our aircrews get deployed on operations to overseas such as Afghanistan, that training is what can literally separate life and death for those operating in a hostile environment.

Even though chaff's a self-defence countermeasure, electronic warfare in general is a very complex beast and needs a lot of planning, coordination, and timing with lots of possible different scenarios. And that's even without mentioning all the huge complexities to do with how EW systems deal with jamming, countermeasures, detection, etc with different tactics. It's basically a science unto itself.
The aim of exercises and training is to prepare for all sorts of different eventualities in the most realistic way possible.

I totally get why it can be annoying when it comes to weather radars but I'm sorry to say that at the end of the day, complaining on a weather forum isn't going to achieve anything apart from feeling better for venting. Regardless of what someone's political or moral beliefs are, the simple fact is that there's a bigger picture and a lot of things aren't as simple as they might sound.
Fair enough @Ken Kato - not deliberatly complaining, I've seen a lot worse on here. honest lack of insight.
Sorry if bothered - not all of us are knowledgable about this sort thing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass