MSL Pressure: 1009.3 hPa
Wind Speed: 10 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: NE

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 5/8
Ground State: Ground dry
Thunder yesterday: Yes

Notes of yesterday weather - 16/1/21: Partly cloudy with Cu, Sc and Ci clouds. A light shower, followed by a mild thunderstorm with brief moderate falls during the early hours. Slightly warm in the first 2 hours of the day while the temperature fell very slowly before easing back to near average as the temperature fell more quickly for a brief period with the rainfall and then became stable during the rest of the early hours. From early in the morning the temperature rose close to average that was briefly slightly warm in the mid morning, after which the temperature rose less quickly. Near average temperature during the afternoon as the temperature fell after the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon. The temperature became warm from early in the evening while falling slowly. Dew point was near average that was stable in the early hours, except for falling briefly with the start of the thunderstorm before generally rising slowly from the early morning, before the dew point rose slightly in the early afternoon becoming slightly above average and then became stable. During the rest of the afternoon the dew point fell slowly close to average and then rose slightly before stable dew point from early in the evening that was slightly above average. Relative humidity was slightly below average before the thunderstorm when the relative humidity rose more quickly and eased to near average during the rest of the early hours. Early in the morning the relative humidity was stable before falling from the mid morning that remained close to average. Relative humidity then rose slowly in the afternoon and more quickly from later in the afternoon before slowing later in the evening and became slightly below average. Light N to NW winds with some W to NW winds, shifting between WSW to SSW and E to SE with the thunderstorm. From the middle of the early hours were N to NW or W to NW winds before mostly W to NW winds early in the morning with some W to SW or calm winds at times. From the mid morning the wind varied between N to WNW and S to NE before tending to N to ENE during the middle of the day. Light ESE to ENE in the early afternoon tended ENE to NNE in the mid afternoon and N to NE from later in the afternoon. Light NNW to NE winds from early in the evening before calm later in the evening.

Today: Warm from early with the temperature falling slowly in the first half of the early hours before becoming stable and then rose from early in the morning. From the mid morning the temperature rose rather slowly that was variable and eased to slightly warm from later in the morning. Dew point have been slightly above average that fell slowly in the first half of the early hours, then became stable before rising from early in the morning. After falling a little in the mid morning the dew point eased back to near average before rising slowly from later in the morning and returned to slightly above average. Relative humidity was slightly below average that rose slowly in the early hours, fell from early in the morning before rising slowly later in the morning while easing to near average. Mostly calm winds from early with some WNW to N winds during the early hours and some WNW to W winds early in the morning. During the morning were NW to NE winds, tending N to NE with some E to NE winds later in the morning and NNE to NE this afternoon.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
Thought I'd share a couple pics.
This storm appears to out near Tara according to my calculations.

Very distant from me , but cool none the less.

Picture looking West from my direction obviously.

IMG20220117184821.jpg
IMG20220117184957.jpg
IMG20220117185203.jpg
IMG20220117185216.jpg
Screenshot_2022-01-17-18-54-53-17_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
EC ensemble average MSLP suggests a potential relief from the Quidge shortly after Australia Day (day ten in current forecasts).

while I tend to be more cautious about longer lead times, if I do want to look at longer lead time I prefer ensemble forecasts.

while this Quidge is underway, it reminds me of the now apparent gap in available 500hpa filtered Longwave plots after the loss of the charts WZ used to produce with the GFS model. Yearn to see a new 500 hpa Southern Hemisphere LWT chart, but maybe based on something better than GFS. LOL. No harm intended to GFS reputation but since the change to FV3 GFS or upgrades of it after that, it does seem to be a bit off.

edit, and while I am on rant maybe an Access G SH LWT plot would be good too. I would be pleased if BoM made more info available to the public.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
After the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon the temperature was close to average that generally fell slowly until the mid afternoon before falling more quickly later in the afternoon. From early tonight the temperature fell slowly that was slightly warm and to warm during tonight. Dew point was slightly above average from the middle of the day that rose slowly before generally stabilising from the mid afternoon.

Relative humidity was near average from the late morning while rising very slowly, then rose from the mid afternoon that was slightly above average for a period later in the afternoon, then became near average and slightly below average late tonight. Light NNE to ENE in the afternoon, light N to NE from late in the afternoon before NW to NNE winds later tonight before some calm winds in the past hour.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2022-1-17.PNG
hum 2022-1-17.PNG
wind dir 2022-1-17.PNG

Tweed Thunder

One of Us
Dec 29, 2021
Glad I got to see that storm the other night because they are few and far between on the coast. Almost a daily occurrence though well inland.
Quite annoying given the fact you have extraordinarily humid air on the coast and a massive low pressure system to our west. I guess it's the combination of weak shear and capping and non existent CAPE.
To coin that all too often phrase we hear " it is what is". Oh well I guess we have the ocean to cool off in. Have a good day folks

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER
ELEVATION 16 METRES

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

TUESDAY 18 JANUARY 2022 - TIME 0740

CURRENT TEMP..........27.1C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........78%
CURRENT DEW POINT.......23C
CURRENT WIND........NE 7Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....30KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1012.1Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD......2/8 Cu, 4/8 Sc, 5/8 Ci
CURRENT WEATHER...No significant weather.
RAIN SINCE 0900 MONDAY....0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........31.7C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP......23.3C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..+1.60C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN.....22.7C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......24C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1010.8Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND GUST...E 27Kph at 1539
PAST 24 HOURS SIGNIFICANT WEATHER....No significant weather.

JANUARY RAINFALL TO DATE...................56.4mm
JANUARY AVERAGE RAINFALL..................152.9mm

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 18 Jan 2022
Time: 8:15 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 22.5 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 32.8 C
Min Ground Temp: 20.9 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 27.6 C
Relative Humidity: 77 %
Dew Point: 23.2 C
MSL Pressure: 1012.1 hPa
Wind Speed: 8 kph - light air
Wind Direction: NNW

Cloud Cover: 5/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 17/1/22: Partly cloudy with Cu, Sc and Ci clouds. Warm from early with the temperature falling slowly in the first half of the early hours before becoming stable and then rose from early in the morning. From the mid morning the temperature rose rather slowly that was variable and eased to slightly warm from later in the morning. After the maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon the temperature was close to average that generally fell slowly until the mid afternoon before falling more quickly later in the afternoon. From early in the evening the temperature fell slowly that was slightly warm and to warm from the mid evening. Dew point was slightly above average that fell slowly in the first half of the early hours, then became stable before rising from early in the morning. After falling a little in the mid morning the dew point eased back to near average before rising slowly from later in the morning and returned to slightly above average. The dew point generally stabilised from the mid afternoon. Relative humidity was slightly below average that rose slowly in the early hours, fell from early in the morning before rising slowly from later in the morning while easing to near average. The relative humidity then rose from the mid afternoon that was slightly above average for a period later in the afternoon and then became near average. Mostly calm winds from early with some WNW to N winds during the early hours and some WNW to W winds early in the morning. During the morning were NW to NE winds, tending N to NE with some E to NE winds later in the morning and NNE to ENE in the afternoon, light N to NE from late in the afternoon before NW to NNE winds later in the evening.

Today: Warm from early with the temperature falling slowly before rising from the early morning while easing to slightly warm. Dew point have been slightly above average that was stable in the first half of the early hours, fell slowly in the second half of the early hours, then rose a little early this morning before rising very slowly afterwards. Relative humidity have been slightly below average that rose in the early hours before starting to fall from early this morning. Light NNW to NW winds with some calm winds in the first half of the early hours, then calm winds afterwards before light NW to NE winds during this morning.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
As a sailor I’m curious to understand why a high ridges up the SE QLD coast and the wind gradient swings SE to NE along the coast?
845B3CB6-C396-4736-B8D1-F3F45BA060E7.jpeg

Friction/interaction with the rougher terrain of land as the flow comes ashore. This anticyclonic curvature along the ridge becomes further exacerbated during overnight hours by a southerly component to the flow just inland of the coast due to landbreeze effects, the restoration of a more easterly flow as it the winds go over the Great Dividing Range, and particularly when there's general lower pressures/troughing inland west of the ranges due to heating (and also when there's lower pressures out towards the eastern Coral Sea.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I would be pleased if BoM made more info available to the public.

You're being pretty optimistic there haha

I'll stop short of saying it'll "never" happen in a literal sense because there's always the chance that the powers-to-be will have a sudden change of mine and decide to do it one day, and also because the web developers were asking for feedback last year about improving the maps on the Bureau's website.

But as a general rule, there's been a general theme in this country for decades where the range of domestically-created government agency products to do with earth sciences have been a lot more limited than in a number of other countries.

Sophisticated model-generated weather products are one of the prime examples of that. It's traditionally been the case since forever that the public's had to rely on overseas-generated products for anything beyond really basic stuff and hope that it that covers Australia as well.

There are exceptions of course (mainly from private weather organisations such as Weatherzone, etc) and things have been slowly improving but they are exceptions overall. The Bureau's website hasn't undergone any major upgrades for over a decade now apart from the introduction of MetEye.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1642464228733.png

Humidity has reached tipping point giving way to some solid showers here over the last hour. Gunna be a sweatbox once it stops and that sun comes out.

Fortunately for us, much-cooler gusty S then SE winds are on their way later this week which will be most welcome.

Latest multiweek EC ensemble currently hints at an elevated potential of tropical disturbance formation in the Coral Sea by early next month but the overall probabilities are still fairly inconclusive at the moment.

Grass is still emerald green here. Some mushrooms have even popped up.

Rat trap bindings

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2017
Friction/interaction with the rougher terrain of land as the flow comes ashore. This anticyclonic curvature along the ridge becomes further exacerbated during overnight hours by a southerly component to the flow just inland of the coast due to landbreeze effects, the restoration of a more easterly flow as it the winds go over the Great Dividing Range, and particularly when there's general lower pressures/troughing inland west of the ranges due to heating (and also when there's lower pressures out towards the eastern Coral Sea.
Great explanation much thanks!

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1642483317386.png

ICON feels-like temps and winds for midday tomorrow compared to midday Thursday.

Winds could become quite gusty at times in exposed areas by Friday as well.

Should also be an increase in showery conditions for a period just ahead of, and in the wake of the cooler change, with some additional help from an upper trough pivoting up from NSW.

Mega

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
gone
Shocking out there today. 32C with a feels-like of 36C. Looking forward to the cooler weather towards the end of the week.

For those still starved of rain, it really doesn't look too good for the next 7-10 days unfortunately apart from stream showers and maybe the odd isolated storm inland once the following ridge relaxes.

Ken Kato

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1642486508100.png

1642486255595.png

Random heavy shower in Wakerley at 7pm last night, scored 4mm. It came out of nowhere and totally unexpected. Another shower, but lighter this morning around 8 30am. Its trace this time.

EC was going for some isolated showers. Yesterday's 18z and 00z runs for 3-hourly precip for between 4pm and 7pm yesterday. I don't know if you meant colloquially rather than in a technical sense though.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Havnt had much time to follow the weather lately, got 22mm from that noisy burner the other night. Took me ages to get back to sleep.
Noticing some activity on 256kStapy nosing its way up from the south. Anyone hazzard a guess it getting here around midnight, AGAIN? LOL
Access C 06z indicates possibilities of light rain (storm dregs) around midnight
edit: spoke too soon I only looked at access c forecast radar so it should be written as ‘light decibel signal (radar) and no rain’…….. I wonder if access C is predicting a light chaff episode? (Joking of course).
But anyways speaking of chaff, I wonder if the Air Force skill of laying chaff could make it look like access C sometimes paints the splotchiness of rainfall (like a Jackson Pollock painting). Just saying if one is going to put effort to put out chaff then make it look real. Kazza could add chaff to the bingo card too.

Slovenski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2019
Access C 06z indicates possibilities of light rain (storm dregs) around midnight
edit: spoke too soon I only looked at access c forecast radar so it should be written as ‘light decibel signal (radar) and no rain’…….. I wonder if access C is predicting a light chaff episode? (Joking of course).
But anyways speaking of chaff, I wonder if the Air Force skill of laying chaff could make it look like access C sometimes paints the splotchiness of rainfall (like a Jackson Pollock painting). Just saying if one is going to put effort to put out chaff then make it look real. Kazza could add chaff to the bingo card too.
Did you add Chaff to bingo card Kazza?
For once I am a liiitle unsettled looking at 256Stapy.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
After my last 2 tongue in cheek posts, onto something more serious…..LAWN GRUBS.
I just got in from a twighlight surveillance run to check the lawn for white moths…. So far so good
season in literature is November to May but I am more attuned to concern around February especially after wet month or two in early summer.
grass may be green now but them grubs can change that.
predictable no, possible yes. Real time data is invaluable.
this alert comes with all the usual caveats…

WarwickEye2Sky

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Warwick
My neighbour said she scored another 40mm this evening in storms that favoured the west end of Warwick again. That’s a little over 90mm over the past few days! Even heavier amounts west of my location out towards Leslie Dam and half way to Inglewood judging how the radar looked. Would have to look at offical reports however. What a big turnaround in just a few days!

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Slightly warm temperature in the morning eased back to near average from the late morning as the temperature rose more slowly from the mid morning that was a little variable. The maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon before falling afterwards. From late in the afternoon the temperature was slightly warm while falling which was stable for a period early tonight and rose a little late tonight. Slightly above average dew point rose very slowly, became stable in the early afternoon, then fell a little in the mid afternoon and became mostly stable afterwards that was near average in the mid to late afternoon. From early tonight the dew point have been slightly above average.

Relative humidity eased to near average in the mid morning and to slightly above average from later in the morning while falling a little slowly until the mid afternoon. From later in the afternoon the relative humidity rose that eased to near average. Light NW to NE winds in the morning, then NNE to NE from the early afternoon, NNE to E from the mid afternoon becoming N to NE during tonight. Calm winds later tonight with some NNW to NW winds in the last half-hour.

Last 24 hours:
temp 2022-1-18.PNG
hum 2022-1-18.PNG
wind dir 2022-1-18.PNG

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
After my last 2 tongue in cheek posts, onto something more serious…..LAWN GRUBS.
I just got in from a twighlight surveillance run to check the lawn for white moths…. So far so good
season in literature is November to May but I am more attuned to concern around February especially after wet month or two in early summer.
grass may be green now but them grubs can change that.
predictable no, possible yes. Real time data is invaluable.
this alert comes with all the usual caveats…
Get a couple of friendly magpies. Lawn grub problem gone.

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER
ELEVATION 16 METRES

( DATA FROM 0900 PREVIOUS DAY TO 0900 CURRENT DAY )

WEDNESDAY 19 JANUARY 2022 - TIME 0750

CURRENT TEMP..........28.8C
CURRENT HUMIDITY........79%
CURRENT DEW POINT.......25C
CURRENT WIND........N 10Kph
CURRENT VISIBILITY.....30KM
CURRENT PRESSURE..1012.0Hpa
CURRENT CLOUD......4/8 Cu, 3/8 Sc, 2/8 Ci
CURRENT WEATHER...Nearby showers
RAIN SINCE 0900 TUESDAY....0.0mm

SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS

YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........31.4C
THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP......23.0C
PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..+1.30C
THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN.....22.9C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT......24C
AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE...1010.7Hpa
PAST 24 HOURS MAX WIND GUST...E 24Kph at 1245
PAST 24 HOURS SIGNIFICANT WEATHER....Showers to nearby south mid morning Tuesday, but no rain at this station.

JANUARY RAINFALL TO DATE...................56.4mm
JANUARY AVERAGE RAINFALL..................152.9mm

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 19 Jan 2022
Time: 8:25 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 22.5 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 31.5 C
Min Ground Temp: 20.6 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 27.8 C
Relative Humidity: 76 %
Dew Point: 23.2 C
MSL Pressure: 1012.2 hPa
Wind Speed: Calm
Wind Direction: Calm

Cloud Cover: 4/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 18/1/22: Partly cloudy with Cu and Sc clouds. Warm from early with the temperature falling slowly before rising from the early morning while easing to slightly warm and eased further to near average from the late morning as the temperature rose more slowly from the mid morning that was a little variable. The maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon before falling afterwards. From late in the afternoon the temperature was slightly warm while falling which was stable for a period early in the evening. Dew point was slightly above average that was stable in the first half of the early hours, fell slowly in the second half of the early hours, then rose a little early in the morning before rising very slowly afterwards. In the early afternoon the dew point became stable, then fell a little in the mid afternoon and became mostly stable afterwards that was near average in the mid to late afternoon. From early in the evening the dew point was slightly above average. Relative humidity was slightly below average that rose in the early hours before starting to fall from early in the morning, easing to near average in the mid morning and to slightly above average from later in the morning while falling a little slowly until the mid afternoon. From later in the afternoon the relative humidity rose that eased to near average. Light NNW to NW winds with some calm winds in the first half of the early hours, then calm winds afterwards before light NW to NE winds during the morning. Light NNE to NE winds from the early afternoon, NNE to E from the mid afternoon becoming N to NE during the evening. Calm winds later in the evening.

Today: Slightly warm at the start of the day while the temperature fell became warm during the rest of the early hours after the temperature rose slightly and then fell. From the early morning the temperature rose and eased to slightly warm. Dew point have been slightly above average that was nearly stable in the early hours before rising from early this morning. Relative humidity was close to average at the start of the day while rising, then fell slightly before rising during the rest of the early hours and early this morning being slightly below average. During this morning the relative humidity remained slightly below average while falling. Calm winds early with some NNW to NW winds for a period early in the day, then NNW to NW or WSW to WNW during this morning with some calm winds.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass