Screenshot_2022-05-16-12-38-56-70_7cb843ff474803d3528bbffe0d77c3ef.jpg

IMG_20220516_124111.jpg

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1652672443570.png

Min temp percentile rankings for yesterday morning (for most places).

And a WZ article about the unseasonably warm min temps (record-breaking in some places in NSW) in the SE of Australia which also extended to the ski resorts in the VIC/NSW alpine region.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
So humid here I put the washing out quite early and next to no breeze ,overcast ....can't get it dry. Hopefully tomorrow.

They had the festival of the wind south of here on the weekend but there was no wind down on the beach.

Forecast has Se wind picking up later on in the week up to 50km hr on bom meteye making feels like temps around 20 21 rather than 27 28 like now ....should keep any potential mozzie away

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

WarwickEye2Sky

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Warwick
1652672443570.png

Min temp percentile rankings for yesterday morning (for most places).

And a WZ article about the unseasonably warm min temps (record-breaking in some places in NSW) in the SE of Australia which also extended to the ski resorts in the VIC/NSW alpine region.
Yes crazy night time temps! We are exactly 7c above average for the month. If this long range GFS forecast comes true, we will be in for quite a shock.
E7DDDBFB-3587-4130-AE4B-E7288D4EE473.png

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Mowed the lawn this afternoon the lawn was still wet like it is in the early morning. There's no "dryness' in the air.

I was coming home this evening and the outside of the windscreen was fogging up and only way to fix it was keep the wipers going.
It has been the same here in Sydney. It happens on my way to work every day before sunrise.
I'm sorry mate, but seriously, it's about time you gave the whinging about everything a rest.
It is really becoming tiresome reading your posts.
Ken has been extraordinarily patient.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
I am rather over this heavy wet air.
I got a 375ml can of beer out of the fridge when I got home and got distracted for 20mins. I reckon the condensation on the outside of the can in those 20mins outside the can exceeded the 375ml in the can
LOL

The last 24 hrs satellite estimated total precipitable water gives good context for the bigger picture of the atmospheric moisture flows.

B735F3B6-28D7-45F4-AC87-13BC9D31345B.gif

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Ken has been extraordinarily patient.

Personally, I actually don't mind negative posts made by people about their own local weather. Doesn't bother me at all. I know everyone's different though.

It's only when they take out their frustrations on other people (and any posts they make) in unprovoked attacks and mocking which irritates me. That really crosses the line for me.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1652733478474.png

1652733490381.png

1652734019398.png

1652733543796.png

A few more images from overnight last night and this morning from the Emporium Hotel webcam overlooking part of the Brisbane CBD.

Also the latest 10-day chance of rainfall graph for Brisbane from the CMC/GEFS/Navy grand ensemble.
Actually managed to get a further 35mm here locally from yesterday's stuff.
I seem to be the latest victim of the big mould outbreak - I noticed yesterday that mould was now growing on my kitchen floor in front of my fridge. And having trouble opening my internal doors. First time I've ever seen either of those things happen at my place in my 40 years of living here.

Some lingering weak instability around today into part of tomorrow but any thunder potential should be very localised at best and nothing at worst.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

CCSC

Addicted
Oct 1, 2019
Also got woken in the middle of the night by a very small but heavy shower. Not even the road here dried out over the last few days as we are in a fairly sheltered and leafy area. A remarkable period of weather over the last 6 months. Would take it any day over months of the quidge! We'll be in drought again before we know it.

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
Heavy dump of rain around 3.00am here in inner city. Nature - thanks for your analysis re the AR- I can see why it was so heavy.

No wonder those small cells on the radar have so much juice in them. They're literally tapping into the tip of that atmospheric river. Interesting to see what that big easterly trade burst looks like when transporting huge amounts of moisture.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 17 May 2022
Time: 8:10 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.3 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 27.7 C
Min Ground Temp: 18.6 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.1 mm (Dew)

Temperature: 21.9 C
Relative Humidity: 99 %
Dew Point: 21.8 C
MSL Pressure: 1016.4 hPa
Wind Speed: 3 kph - light air
Wind Direction: SW

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 5/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 16/5/22: Partly cloudy with Cu and Sc clouds. Early morning fog on the surrounding forest. Very hot from early with the temperature generally stable, before easing to hot early in the morning as the temperature started to rise. The temperature briefly rose sharply in the mid morning, warm, then rose more slowly through to the maximum temperature in the middle of the day. After stable temperature, then temperature fell during the afternoon while easing to slightly warm that temporarily rose in the mid afternoon. In the evening the temperature and hot and was stable before falling a little later in the evening. Dew point was high that was generally stable from early before rising in the morning, then fell from the middle of the day before stabilising in the evening that was moderately high at times in the evening. Relative humidity was stable from early, close to average before falling in the morning, moderately high, high from the late morning and very high from the early afternoon. From the mid afternoon the relative humidity rose, becoming stable in the evening easing to moderately high early tonight, slightly above average later tonight. Calm winds early with some E winds at times before tending to S to WSW from late in the early hours with periods of calm winds before S to SW or W to SW winds in the morning, shifting to W to NW before S to SW winds in the mid morning. During the morning the wind veered to N to NE to E to NE in the middle of the day, then veered to S to WSW in the afternoon before mostly calm winds from the late afternoon.

Today: Stable temperature from early that was hot at the start of the day, becoming very hot before rising this morning while easing to hot. Dew point have been high that was stable in the early hours before rising this morning. Relative humidity have been close to average that have been stable, elevated and close to saturation. Mostly calm winds from early with some W to SSW winds early this morning and S to SW presently.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
Is there any research done between the correlation of the saturated ground table and mould?

I'm just thinking about the damp and mould in relation to the water sitting just below the ground surface.

At least in SEQ I don't think the ground can hold much more water , so the "rising damp" is becoming a problem?

Obviously, humidity in the air has its own part to play.

Is there an updated map to view how saturated the ground is currently?

Cheers.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
The lack of big dry changes 'continent cleaners' is quite astonishing so far this year. Is this simply due to variation in the long wave pattern or does la nina itself force a preferred long wave pattern/cold front regime/high positioning?

I haven't looked at the longwave patterns recently but I do know generally speaking that ENSO does interact with them, especially in lower latitudes, as does the SAM in higher latitudes.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1652743896248.png

Also got woken in the middle of the night by a very small but heavy shower. Not even the road here dried out over the last few days as we are in a fairly sheltered and leafy area. A remarkable period of weather over the last 6 months. Would take it any day over months of the quidge! We'll be in drought again before we know it.

Yep agreed, I think we might be in the minority when it comes to public opinion about that though haha

Reminds me of this comment I came across the other day which I also posted in here.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1652744045324.png

Is there any research done between the correlation of the saturated ground table and mould?

I'm just thinking about the damp and mould in relation to the water sitting just below the ground surface.

At least in SEQ I don't think the ground can hold much more water , so the "rising damp" is becoming a problem?

Obviously, humidity in the air has its own part to play.

Is there an updated map to view how saturated the ground is currently?

Cheers.

Depends on how shallow or deep a layer you want to look at. Here's an example showing the estimates of rootzone soil moisture as at a couple of days ago compared to normal.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
1652744045324.png

Depends on how shallow or deep a layer you want to look at. Here's an example showing the estimates of rootzone soil moisture as at a couple of days ago compared to normal.

Thanks , I knew I had seen a map like that before.

That really illustrates la Nina like conditions over eastern parts of QLD.

I guess we can be thankful for the lack of cyclones this year.

Toowoomba seems to do very well with weather systems from the NE of us.

AnnerleyX1

Addicted
Jun 11, 2020
All these claims of excessive dew points are a bit inverted across the state today. Had a lovely 18°C dew point this morning in Cairns. Quite the nip in the air, very pleasant.

The dew point in Brisbane just dropped below 20C for the first time since early Saturday morning.

I would say most Mays would go by without a single dew point above 18C here, given the average for May is around 10-12C.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
52078475532_a908201258_o.jpg

52078498902_75b9abc255_b.jpg

1652772446342.png

Geez those cooler southeasterlies feel so nice outside compared to what it was like earlier today!

Graph of observed temp and apparent temp for Archerfield above. Time on the horizontal axis and degrees on the vertical axis.

You can also see the typical Scenic Rim ranges blocking of the cloud in those southeasterlies.

STW (automatically circled) current for that activity around the Sunshine Coast hinterlands re locally heavy rainfall as well.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
no matter now much rain we get , it still doesnt sit well with me to see how much we let run out to see rather than capture....

As we head into the (drier?) winter months, is it better to leave dam levels above 100%?

It seems ludicrous to release excess water downstream of the dams, when normal human usage can bring down the levels naturally?

There is council sign boards in Toowoomba that say Low Water restrictions , not "No" water restrictions.

So as a resident and rate payer I'm asked to conserve water but then dams are releasing excess water without a thought of actually conserving it for the lean times?

Bit of a rant I know , but confused also.

William

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Cairns
As we head into the (drier?) winter months, is it better to leave dam levels above 100%?

It seems ludicrous to release excess water downstream of the dams, when normal human usage can bring down the levels naturally?

There is council sign boards in Toowoomba that say Low Water restrictions , not "No" water restrictions.

So as a resident and rate payer I'm asked to conserve water but then dams are releasing excess water without a thought of actually conserving it for the lean times?

I like rivers being able to be let run for environmental flows with bigger flushing events in the mix. But this has to be weighed up with societal needs. Runoff from hard urban landscapes is highly variable peaky flow, sees water not benefitting people or the environment heading out to sea.

If I had my way, water would cost more, a lot more. There is a reasonable amount of water that people should expect to be provided at reasonable or cheap rates. Beyond that charges should increase in pretty dramatic order.

Excess capture in dams that can handle 100%+ filling should be captured with groundwater/aquifer injection programs. This makes it available for environmental purposes with gradual discharge into rivers, increasing medium and longer term base flows. Also becomes available for extraction in leaner times.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane

Like with a lot of things, I suspect reality's more complicated than it first seems @Rays74

As far as I understand it, the basic premise behind most dam releases such as those from Wivenhoe has always been to deal with an immediate and potentially big threat to safety if it isn't managed properly. That immediate and more certain threat has to override (and rightly so) any longer term and more strategic planning of water storage management i.e. you have to make sure there's no imminent catastrophes first.

Also, it's hard to tell with much confidence at longer ranges when you might need a valuable buffer in storage levels in case there is a heavy rain event. Even though rainfall typically decreases in winter, history shows that we've still had occasional heavy rain events during that season in our region. So it'd be a dangerous gamble banking on a lack of any big rain events in winter and leaving dams nearly full without any safety buffer for potential floods in case a big rain event happened. The results could be absolutely disastrous if it was an exceptionally big rain event.

Your rates are also paying for safe dam management that avoids catastrophes, not just having an adequate drinking water supply.

Dams can also be very different in different ways. Some reservoirs are smaller and generally fill up quicker. Some dams were also specifically built with flood mitigation in mind such as Wivenhoe. How a dam is managed when there's flooding rain and levels soar also depends on the type of dam. The rates at which a particular reservoir goes down with water usage also depends on its size vs the population size. That's on top of things like evaporation rates, rainfall, etc.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Like with a lot of things, I suspect reality's more complicated than it first seems @Rays74

As far as I understand it, the basic premise behind most dam releases such as those from Wivenhoe has always been to deal with an immediate and potentially big threat to safety if it isn't managed properly. That immediate and more certain threat has to override (and rightly so) any longer term and more strategic planning of water storage management i.e. you have to make sure there's no imminent catastrophes first.

Also, it's hard to tell with much confidence at longer ranges when you might need a valuable buffer in storage levels in case there is a heavy rain event. Even though rainfall typically decreases in winter, history shows that we've still had occasional heavy rain events during that season in our region. So it'd be a dangerous gamble banking on a lack of any big rain events in winter and leaving dams nearly full without any safety buffer for potential floods in case a big rain event happened. The results could be absolutely disastrous if it was an exceptionally big rain event.

Your rates are also paying for safe dam management that avoids catastrophes, not just having an adequate drinking water supply.

Dams can also be very different in different ways. Some reservoirs are smaller and generally fill up quicker. Some dams were also specifically built with flood mitigation in mind such as Wivenhoe. How a dam is managed when there's flooding rain and levels soar also depends on the type of dam. The rates at which a particular reservoir goes down with water usage also depends on its size vs the population size. That's on top of things like evaporation rates, rainfall, etc.
That’s a good summary. The dams do need a hard target to work to.
Leaving it high after a rain/flood event poses risks for more and higher releases and potential damage if there is another rain/ flood shortly after.
Leaving it low after a rain/flood event poses risks to water security if the future weather is prolonged dry.
A firm line makes it more clear for the decision makers.
That is mainly for dams with gates, and most dams don’t have gates.

On side matter if I recall correctly June 2016 was the last ECL that had big winter rainfalls in SEQ (land rains not ocean) for what I would call a true ECL event. Happy to be corrected if there was one more recent than that. I would not be surprised if we get an ECL this winter as it has been a while and we have an interesting mix of climate drivers and phasing. Ten years ago I never thought about IOD for QLD impacts. My views on that are changing. Below the 10 May update on IOD.

4C582731-9D6E-4E44-B720-A6DAC6B4949D.png

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
Well if you want entertainment, 00z GFS has it all. Troughing with heavy showers over south-eastern Qld, then a 980 hpa hybrid cyclone that almost hits SE QLD/NE NSW, then a huge winter blast with big dump of snow all the way up to the SE Qld ranges, then an ECL over the NSW central coast. Most of it is unlikely to happen (or at least as aggressively) but never seen such variety in one ext GFS run.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Well if you want entertainment, 00z GFS has it all. Troughing with heavy showers over south-eastern Qld, then a 980 hpa hybrid cyclone that almost hits SE QLD/NE NSW, then a huge winter blast with big dump of snow all the way up to the SE Qld ranges, then an ECL over the NSW central coast. Most of it is unlikely to happen (or at least as aggressively) but never seen such variety in one ext GFS run.
I have wondered if GFS has its “clock speed” a little bit wrong after it changed to the FV3 upgrade a few years ago.

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
I have wondered if GFS has its “clock speed” a little bit wrong after it changed to the FV3 upgrade a few years ago.
It's still also far too aggressive in spinning up circulations as well.

Most of this season it has been pretty poor when compared with EC but it did stubbornly stick to the trough digging in over WBB in the final phase of last week's event when compared to other models which ended up being close to the mark.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass