Day to Day NE NSW / QLD

whether

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2014
Steady rain falling here around the Tweed which was expected today.
Surely this must be right up there with being one of the gloomiest years on record. I personally cannot remember such a prolonged period of grey overcast misery. Time to jump on a plane soon and go anywhere that provides some sunshine I'm over it!
Come to Townsville @Tweed Thunder . Normally up here you have to be really unlucky if the sun is not shining on at least 300 days per year. I would much prefer the way you get rain spread throughout the year than living here in the dry tropics. When the tap get turned off here you will see very little rain from April to sometime in December.

Weathertraveller

One of Us
Jan 23, 2020
Northern Gold Coast
interesting radar atm with rain travelling in opposite directions
Yes I just noticed that too, why is that occurring ? I actually mowed one part of my back lawn near the house yesterday afternoon. Mower nearly sunk in the ground, the ground is still saturated. I can't see it drying out for some time with more rain predicted. Been raining here already, a grey dull day with more rain to come. I'm so over it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1653017798562.png

Yes I just noticed that too, why is that occurring ?

That's very common on radar for rainy setups @Weathertraveller and it's caused by showers riding in on the southeasterlies in the lower atmosphere while rain falling from middle level cloud streams in on the northwesterlies in the middle atmosphere.

Winds backing in direction with height in setups like these tend to be conducive to rain because it's part of the mechanism which causes large-scale uplift of air.

There's actually an oldschool rule of thumb from back in the day called the crossed winds rule. Basically, if you stand with your back to the surface wind and you notice winds in the middle atmosphere coming from your right (left if you're in the northern hemisphere) as evidenced by midlevel cloud features, it's often an indicator of deteriorating weather to come because it implies backing winds with height.
Not as clearly-defined in today's particular case because the winds are almost blowing in opposite directions.

00z ACCESS-C for totals up to 10pm tomorrow above.

19.3C here at 1:25pm and it's continuing to slowly drop under the dark thick overcast.

Weathertraveller

One of Us
Jan 23, 2020
Northern Gold Coast
That's very common on radar for rainy setups @Weathertraveller and it's caused by showers riding in on the southeasterlies in the lower atmosphere while rain falling from middle level cloud streams in on the northwesterlies in the middle atmosphere.

Winds backing in direction with height in setups like these tend to be conducive to rain because it's part of the mechanism which causes large-scale uplift of air.

19.3C here at 1:25pm and it's continuing to slowly drop under the dark thick overcast.
Thanks Ken, I must admit I have seen it many times in the past, but never really thought about it unless there was a low around. On another subject, I have friends who live in Vanuatu, and they are experiencing flooding in Port Vila at the moment, from Cyclone Gina. Not coming anywhere near Qld, but it's certainly late in the year for a Cyclone. We've had a few in late April, but none in May that I can recall.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
What does it mean when a weather station starts getting hyphens and only shows the temp?

1653018621103.png

It means the readings for those parameters aren't available, usually due to a technical fault with either the comms link from the weather station or the sensors/instruments themselves.

In this particular case, it could be a problem with the electronic humidity probe there which is preventing the RH and other parameters that have to use that data such as apparent temp from being calculated.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I thought today up my way was going to be much wetter. Really only been windy, overcast and very fine drizzle type rain. It does look wetter near Gladstone.

Rocky and Yeppoon look like they're going to be close to the edge of the better falls so it'll be a fine line there between crappy low amounts and decent amounts once again.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney
Decent cloudband again. 13.9C in Toowoomba at 3pm this afternoon.

I'm a fair whack south of you and Toowoomba (in Sydney, as you know) but my max today was just 14.9. Full overcast with off and on showers throughout the day, some heavy. It was after a reasonably clear night with just high cirrus and cold temps. Cloud thickened after dawn and parts of the Sydney metro just didn't get a chance to warm up. I'm only at about 100 mtrs asl.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
The latest national radar loop has been stuck on this same image for a whole year!! I wonder when the eastern seaboard will get a break from this garbage...
IDR00004.jpg
High chance it will start to get a lot quieter after this event.

Just remember what our weather turned into after the last Nina cycle (2010-2012). I can see it going the same way again after this year. Wouldn't be too quick to want a change.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
High chance it will start to get a lot quieter after this event.

Just remember what our weather turned into after the last Nina cycle (2010-2012). I can see it going the same way again after this year. Wouldn't be too quick to want a change.

Don't forget though that we're still in a negative phase of the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation @Nature's Fury II

Negative phases often (but not always) tend to be associated with an increased frequency of La Ninas or the cool side of Neutral.

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
Don't forget though that we're still in a negative phase of the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation @Nature's Fury II

Negative phases often (but not always) tend to be associated with an increased frequency of La Ninas.
Would be good to see, although records since 1950 don't fill with me confidence. The only season that saw more than a single additional La Nina year after a double or trip dip was the 70s.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 21 May 2022
Time: 9:00 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 15.4 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.4 C
Min Ground Temp: 13.5 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 18.3 mm

Temperature: 16.1 C
Relative Humidity: 98 %
Dew Point: 15.8 C
MSL Pressure: 1024.7 hPa
Wind Speed: 2 kph - light air
Wind Direction: S

Present Weather: Continuous, slight rain
Visibility: 2000m to 3999m - Poor Visibility
Cloud Cover: 8/8
Ground State: Ground wet

Notes of yesterday weather - 20/5/22: Cloudy with Cu and Sc clouds. Light showers and rain at times from the middle of the day. The temperature fell slowly from early that was hot before rising during the morning and afternoon to the maximum temperature in the early afternoon. The temperature eased to near average during the morning, to slightly cool late in the morning and to cold during the afternoon. As the temperature fell, quickly initially and then more slowly in the evening, the temperature became near average early in the evening and slightly warm during the evening. Dew point fell slowly, slightly below average before rising slowly from the morning, close to average becoming slightly above average early in the afternoon. From the mid afternoon the dew point fell, while easing to near average early in the evening, before rising slightly late in the evening, slightly above average. Relative humidity was stable from early before falling slowly during the morning, slightly below average and reached high late in the morning. Relative humidity rose in the early to mid afternoon, and was very high, easing from late in the afternoon to moderately high early in the evening then became stable and rose a little from the middle of the evening, close to average. Light S to SW winds from early with some brief periods of calm winds and some SSE winds until early morning. Light SSW to SE winds from the late morning with some brief periods of calm winds, before shifting to W to SW or S to SW during the evening.

Today: Light rain periods with light showers easing in intensity slightly during the early hours before picking up during this morning. The temperature fell very slowly from early that was slightly warm becoming warm, before rising very slowly from early this morning close to average becoming cool presently. Dew point have been slightly above average that rose slowly. Relative humidity rose slowly that was near average before becoming quickly becoming high during this morning. Light S to SW winds from early with some S to SW winds and W to SW winds early in the day and some W to SW winds early this morning.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
52087596551_9aabb0a5f3_b.jpg

52087840599_1ababb4cb5_b.jpg

Over this rubbish, luckily I'm off to the Red centre today , surely I will get sunshine and crisp nights out there.

You realise that there's a possibility of some NW cloudbands streaming across some parts of that region over the coming week or so don't you @Big T ? :p

Doesn't currently look as thick or rainy as what we've been having here though so you should still get sunnier periods.

Still raining, dark, and gloomy here. The lack of sunshine here for ages has really muted the autumn colours on my trees so far this year. For the most part anyway.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Loving the cool grey rainy weather given how our summer was blue skies extreme humidity, and not much rain with above average temperatures. Rockhampton had 53mm last time I checked.

Seems similar to 2021 we seem to get the rain at the end of the La Nina.

So weird two days ago was really muggy 24 felt like 29 deg ...has our 7 months of summer ended lol.

kiwiPAF

Hard Yards
Mar 4, 2022
received last night 6:06pm
North Pine Dam - Flood releases possible within next 24 hours

Seqwater advises flood releases from North Pine Dam may commence within the next 24 hours due to continuing inflows and forecast rainfall.

If required, the releases will likely inundate Youngs Crossing.

We are monitoring the weather and dam conditions 24/7 at the Flood Operations Centre which remains active.

If you are downstream of the dam, stay away from fast flowing or deep water near waterways and floodplains.

We will update you when releases are confirmed.

kiwiPAF

Hard Yards
Mar 4, 2022
received at 3.32pm
Seqwater advises flood releases from North Pine Dam will begin at 8:00 PM 21 May 2022 due to continuing rain.

These releases, combined with river and creek flows downstream of the dam, are expected to flood Youngs Crossing. Moreton Bay Regional Council will be closing Youngs Crossing at 7:00 PM in preparation for these releases.

If you are downstream of the dams, stay away from fast flowing or deep water near waterways and floodplains.

The next update will be provided once flood releases have ceased and Youngs Crossing is open.

Timbuck

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
Highland park
Yep , bloody wet.

my best mates property 3000 acres is near urbanvile , on the eastern side of Yabbra national park , perfect spot for a normal season as it get very nice weather….rain due to orographic lift and increased rainfall on the eastern side. You go west 15km and you get F A. Although stilll in the drought resorted to cutting down tree to feed the cows , just to keep them alive until one lonely storm dumps 15mm and saved them.
fast forward till now , absolutely just wants it to stop. Weeks and months of very few days with out rain.… or constant drizzle. He strategically brought this property for the water and climate But now it’s gone the other way a little to much.
he is wanted to unload a few hundred cows , and yesterday was only able to get 1 truck load to market. No quads or motorbikes can go in paddocks so back to horses. But even they struggled massively sinking around 300mm with every step. On occasion up to there bellies bogged. getting off to help them out. It was just a shit show so they pull the pin on it.

bloody hard being a farmer that’s for sure. with beef prices being nice and high …he has a huge pile of money sitting in the mud and not able to get them to market. he is really worried about a wet winter.

here on the GC we are over 100mm for the last few days for sure and hasn’t stopped. Plenty of easterly flow on the showers happening now

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
Weather.com has my area getting 3 days of sw winds at the end of the month....which seems to be the only time the min temp is predicted to be average.

I thought sw winds weren't common this far north or is it to do with how long they persist into spring not being common here? 2019 different I think because of the sudden stratospheric warming.
Sw winds long overdue, but why only 3 days, why cant we have 3 weeks or 3 months of westerly winds ? Seems offshore winds are few and far between in this neck of the woods . Even in El Nino years SE winds dominate more than westerlies

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Sw winds long overdue, but why only 3 days, why cant we have 3 weeks or 3 months of westerly winds ? Seems offshore winds are few and far between in this neck of the woods . Even in El Nino years SE winds dominate more than westerlies

La Nina and positive SAM @Gleno71

On average, westerlies are more common in this neck of the woods but if you have those two drivers happening, you're usually not going to get westerlies as often.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
It means the readings for those parameters aren't available, usually due to a technical fault with either the comms link from the weather station or the sensors/instruments themselves.

In this particular case, it could be a problem with the electronic humidity probe there which is preventing the RH and other parameters that have to use that data such as apparent temp from being calculated.
Is there a way to contact the BOM about it or would they be aware I wonder. Still missing the other info.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass