Day to Day NE NSW / QLD

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
Usually not too much of an effect compared to further south. The odd enhanced SW flow and some cooler nights.
I dont think they have a sam type setup in the northern hemisphere? I noticed on the california coast, they just seem to get endless months or northerly winds when looking at windy and a constant high that sits between california and hawaii that never seems to move. So i cant see how they can have hot temperatures in LA when winds are form the north.

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
Long.jpg

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I dont think they have a sam type setup in the northern hemisphere? I noticed on the california coast, they just seem to get endless months or northerly winds when looking at windy and a constant high that sits between california and hawaii that never seems to move. So i cant see how they can have hot temperatures in LA when winds are form the north.

The northern hemisphere equivalent is the AO (Arctic Oscillation) @Gleno71

When it goes negative, the midlatitude westerly belt, storm systems, and polar outbreaks often tend to extend further south than usual. Vice versa for positive phases. It operates like the SAM.

AAO (Antarctic Oscillation) is also another name for SAM in the Southern Hemisphere.

There’s also other various more-regional oscillations in the northern hemisphere such as the NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation), etc.

LA actually doesn’t often get extremely hot temps but sometimes they do if there’s a decent offshore component to the winds or a big heat dome with a stubborn surface and midlevel high that sets up over the west of the country.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Do we experience "sundogs" in Australia?

Yes @Rays74 , sometimes. Mainly when cirrus is around and the sun's low in the sky at the time. But they tend to be more common in the very high latitudes of the northern and southern hemisphere e.g. Antarctica, especially when there's diamond dust around (lots of tiny ice crystals suspended in the air caused when very cold temps freeze the water vapour in the air).

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
Yes @Rays74 , sometimes. Mainly when cirrus is around and the sun's low in the sky at the time. But they tend to be more common in the very high latitudes of the northern and southern hemisphere e.g. Antarctica, especially when there's diamond dust around (lots of tiny ice crystals suspended in the air caused when very cold temps freeze the water vapour in the air).

Yes , I have always associated it with the far northern hemisphere.
Wasn't sure if it occurred here due to the suns angle etc.

The so called "green flash" after sunset fascinates me too.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 18 Jun 2022
Time: 11:25 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 6.3 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 23.3 C
Min Ground Temp: 4.1 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 20.7 C
Relative Humidity: 59 %
Dew Point: 12.4 C
MSL Pressure: 1020.4 hPa
Wind Speed: 8 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: SSW

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 2/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 17/6/22: Sunny with some Cu clouds. The temperature fell from early, slightly cool, before rising from early in the morning, after becoming cool early in the morning and easing during the morning to slightly warm from the mid morning. From later in the morning the temperature rose less quickly and rose to the maximum temperature in the early afternoon. The temperature fell during the afternoon and evening, easing to near average late in the afternoon and to slightly cool from early in the evening. Dew point fell from early, slightly below average before rising from early in the morning, while easing to near average. From the mid morning the dew point fell slowly dropping back to slightly below average and to moderately low from the middle of the day. During the afternoon the dew point rose slowly, then sharply rose for a brief period later in the afternoon, near average before falling afterwards, slightly below average. Relative humidity was near or slightly below average from early that rose slowly from early before falling during the morning, dropping to moderately low from the mid morning. Relative humidity rose slowly in the afternoon, then more quickly from the late afternoon, while easing to near average and more slowly during the evening. Mostly calm winds from early with some WNW to WSW winds at times, light S to SW winds from the mid morning with some W to SW winds in the afternoon. In the afternoon the wind tended to NNW to WSW before calm winds from the late afternoon with some W winds at times.

Today: The temperature fell from early that was slightly cool at the start of the day, then became cool before rising from early this morning, easing to near average from the mid morning. Dew point fell from early, that was slightly below average, then rose from early this morning and more slowly from the mid morning, close to average. Relative humidity rose from early, close to average, fell quickly from the mid morning and less quickly from late this morning, while easing to slightly below average. Calm winds from early with some W winds late in the early hours before light S to SW winds from the mid morning.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Some activities off the coast?? Whats triggering that ?

Some destabilisation from cold air aloft under an upper trough @Gleno71

If you're wondering what's causing anything, you can usually instantly find your answers if you look at a forecast map (via sites like Windy, Stormcast, or any others of your choosing) of the surface winds and midlevel temps/flow.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
27-28th might get something here . Not much if any at all.

Last year here we had late rain but it was the bulk of it in March then April then a break in May then June, July , August, September, October and November right up to the middle of December we had rain every month . Not huge amounts but 40-70mm and no month less than 32mm. I was mowing the lawn every 2 weeks from June right throught to December then with those isolated storms adding nitrogen it was about every 10 days right from December to early May despite it being dryer than normal it must have been the humidity and storm rain. Finally don't have to keep going out to mow the damn lawn ! lol

Unfortunately the new neighbours on the other side got some company Coochie Hydro Green in to fertilise their lawn throughout summer when it didn't need it I think and he's still mowing his lawn every 6 to 7 days it's so thick like carpet.

I stopped fertilising the lawn about 8 years ago and mulch mowed instead when I can . When i fertilised in summer that many years ago I ended up with the lawn going green in 2 days and i was mowing about every 5 days lol. I think they recommend fertilising lawn here more in September.

It's hard to say if the soil has dryed out here as it is sand and it tends to look dry most of the time . I think on the surface it is but if you dig down there is a bit of moisture still from last month .

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
11.1deg at Yeppoon Esplanade this morning going for a top of 23deg.

So about 2 deg warmer...didn't feel too chilly walking along the beach...wind was lighter....yesterday I saw what looked like steam coming off the lagoon pool as the wind blew. I know the ocean is about 22deg so the pool must be similar.

People mainly in shorts with a warm top or light pants . No one seems to wear jeans here.

I think wind direction apart from that cool spell last week has been Se or east since May doesn't really change much.se day ,light sw or w or nw night and early morning.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 19 Jun 2022
Time: 10:45 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 8.3 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 21.8 C
Min Ground Temp: 5.6 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.1 mm

Temperature: 20.6 C
Relative Humidity: 66 %
Dew Point: 14.1 C
MSL Pressure: 1021.6 hPa
Wind Speed: 10kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: S

Cloud Cover: 4/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 18/6/22: Sunny from early with some Cu clouds and partly cloudy with Cu and Sc clouds in the afternoon. The temperature fell from early that was slightly cool at the start of the day, then became cool before rising from early morning, easing to near average from the mid morning. The maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon, then fell slowly before falling more quickly from the late afternoon, becoming slightly cool in the late afternoon. Dew point fell from early, that was slightly below average, then rose from early in the morning and more slowly from the mid morning, close to average. From the late morning the dew point fell slowly, before falling more quickly from early in the evening. Relative humidity rose from early, close to average, fell quickly from the mid morning and less quickly from late in the morning, while easing to slightly below average. From the middle of the day the relative humidity eased to near average that was generally stable, before rising from late in the afternoon. Calm winds from early with some W winds late in the early hours before light S to SW winds from the mid morning and tended S to SE in the afternoon. Light ESE to ENE winds from the mid afternoon before calm winds from early in the evening with some W to WNW winds.

Today: The temperature initially fell, slightly cool before rising from the middle of the early hours, close to average. Dew point fell from the start of the day that became slightly below average before generally rising from the middle of the early hours, close to average. Relative humidity was close to average that fell very slowly from early, rose very slowly later in the early hours, before falling from early this morning. Mostly calm winds from early with some W to WNW winds before light S to SSW winds from early this morning.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1655604287950.png

Airgram for Brisbane using ICON. Some of the mid to high cloud currently streaming from NW to SE across part of the country as part of the Northwest Cloudband ahead of the upper trough and frontal system still looks like making it here later today or overnight.

It may make for a nice sunrise tomorrow morning but these things are always so hard to predict. If there's just a tiny bit too much high cloud in the wrong spot (near the NE horizon), too little, or too much low cloud there for that matter, it'll ruin everything.

PlumbBob

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Molendinar
Random question...
Do we experience "sundogs" in Australia?

I'm referring to this...

Certainly do @Rays74, Ive collected dozens over the decades ere on the G-Coast, Iv'e caught plenty of 22* Halos aswell, but very rare to have Halo's and Sundogs at the same time up at these Latitudes in my experiences.
Thought I had a partial Halo and a dog somewhere but not in my existing achives.

W_1114.jpg

W_1118M1.jpg

W_1123M1.jpg

W_8783M1.jpg

And the Evening Set yesty, Sunday 20th, over the back fence

W_1434M1.jpg

PeteJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Toowoomba
GFS and EC deterministic and ensembles have brought back widespread activity across eastern Aus in recent runs after dropping it for quite some time. Looks like upper lows are back at it again with GFS showing two in quick succession.
Amazing, this mornings EC has it all happening out to sea now, followed by cold SWers. Really shows Australia’s weather pattern has now definitely returned to normal. Of course it’s still a long way out so it will keep changing.

Tweetie

One of Us
Dec 21, 2020
The base of the mid/high cloud band, mentioned by Ken yesterday, being illuminated by the ‘ash rise’ on the eastern horizon. This is not the sunrise. Pics taken 50 minutes prior to sunrise.

8F48FFBB-737D-4B93-9754-C390015E9280.jpeg

2162F9C8-AF5F-44E5-80E8-3ACA470575BE.jpeg

Looking at the earlier balloon sounding, this Altocumulus would be around 19000ft (5.8km).

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
GFS and EC deterministic and ensembles have brought back widespread activity across eastern Aus in recent runs after dropping it for quite some time. Looks like upper lows are back at it again with GFS showing two in quick succession.

Actually gfs I had a look and if it was true completely it looks like Rockhampton and Yeppoon would get their monthly average plus a bit more in 24hrs....60 to 70mm in one day type setup.

Which wouldn't cause any issues up here soil is not saturated

15 deg this morning.
18 deg at Rosslyn Bay...but geez starting off the walk in open area it was a southerly blowing that felt dry and cool.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Actually gfs I had a look and if it was true completely it looks like Rockhampton and Yeppoon would get their monthly average plus a bit more in 24hrs....60 to 70mm in one day type setup.

Which wouldn't cause any issues up here soil is not saturated

15 deg this morning.
18 deg at Rosslyn Bay...but geez starting off the walk in open area it was a southerly blowing that felt dry and cool.
Should add it is only GFS doing that extreme amount others are between 2 and 20mm for Yeppoon

1655677089985.png

Access -G only has 2mm .

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 20 Jun 2022
Time: 8:10 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 11.9 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 23 C
Min Ground Temp: 9 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 14 C
Relative Humidity: 90 %
Dew Point: 12.4 C
MSL Pressure: 1020.2 hPa
Wind Speed: 1 kph - light air
Wind Direction: S

Cloud Cover: 7/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 19/6/22: Sunny morning and partly cloudy in afternoon with Cu and Sc clouds. The temperature initially fell, slightly cool before rising from the middle of the early hours, close to average. From the mid morning to the mid afternoon the temperature was rather variable that reached the maximum temperature in the early afternoon. The temperature fell in the afternoon and evening before generally stabilising from the mid evening that was a little variable, becoming slightly warm late in the evening. Dew point fell from the start of the day that became slightly below average before generally rising from the middle of the early hours, close to average becoming slightly above average from the middle of the day. The dew point fell from the early afternoon, easing to near average in the mid afternoon before generally stabilised that was a little variable from the mid afternoon. Relative humidity was close to average that fell very slowly from early, rose very slowly later in the early hours, before falling from early morning. From the mid afternoon the relative humidity rose that was slightly above average at times in the mid to late afternoon. Mostly calm winds from early with some W to WNW winds before light S to SSW winds from early morning. Light SSW to SSE winds from the middle of the day, S to ESE from the mid afternoon before mostly calm winds from early in the evening.

Today: The temperature generally fell very slowly that was rather variable from early that was slightly warm becoming warm later in the early hours. From early this morning the temperature have started to rise, easing to near average. Dew point have been close to average that was generally stable, fell a little later in the early hours before rising from early this morning. Relative humidity was slightly below average from early that rose slowly from early before starting to fall this morning. Mostly calm winds from early before some S to SW or W to SW winds at times presently.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
Ironic when there is too much water to generate electricity.

Beautiful part of the world to visit too.

Seabreezes

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
South West Rocks, NSW
The dry spell here has now lasted for 10 days, which makes it the longest dry spell since the 16-day dry spell from Oct 2nd to 17th 2020.
The dry spell ends at 15 days here after some light showers this morning brought 1.2mm.

3.6mm for the month to date, which is still in record low territory for June (5.6mm in Jun 1946 being the record low). June rainfall hasn't been in the single digits since 1970.

The next week should be dry. Uncertainty though as to how the month ends at this stage, but still a chance there may be enough rain in the eleventh hour to avoid a record dry / very dry June.

There have also been no thunderdays so far this month. It could potentially be the first thunderless month here since July 2019.

Tweetie

One of Us
Dec 21, 2020
Winter solstice and the camera still won’t focus sorry.
Venus, possibly Mercury, a line of Cumulus giving showers out from Moreton and Stradbroke Islands and the ash glow which started around 5.15am, 1 hour 22 minutes before sunrise.
I keep harping on about it, but still amazed how high the ash is to do this.
This pic taken at 5.33am.
2DEB50A9-E60C-4280-8B85-78A4BFA954F7.jpeg

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
GFS still sticking with pretty much all our months rainfall plus about 30mm extra on top in one day scenario in a week. The average for June is 53mm .

Crazy ....GFS has Yeppoon on 113mm accumulated by next Thursday , GEM has 25.8mm and ACCESS-G 0.3mm

So looking at that either we're going to get a heap of rain way more than usual for June, something more normal like 25mm or next to nothing and just 1-5mm or 0 mm.

I don't know what scenerio will play out , might be just another relativety fine day next week and all the heaviest rain does the avoid Rocky area thing again lol and goes further south .

1655760432784.png

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass