Day to Day NE NSW / QLD

Storm1

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2022
ash, gasses and lots of water

Massive undersea eruption filled atmosphere with water​

Blast from Tonga’s Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai volcano in January could eat away at ozone layer, warm Earth​

Our weather patterns will be very interesting over the next few years because of that eruption. Water and heat drives our weather.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I think it was Wally's Weather Facebook page I saw .

The mentioned something with the SOI and how any rain this month now would be from the IOD and not to expect much rain at all this month in Qld , though they said in "the north" i'm not sure if he was referring to North Qld . Though I guess it may be a dry month in Central Qld.

" SOI which has just dropped into the white for the first time in about 3 months. Meaning we should see less influence by the low pressure to the North, and any systems producing rain for QLD are likely the result of the Negative Indian Ocean Dipole. As outlined by the image from the BOM below. Where the warm waters of the Indian Ocean produce rain that travels across the Southern States."

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
Awesome sunset this arvo.
Has been a nice warm day, with a frost early this morning.

Starting to feel spring like already, and daylight hours starting to feel longer.

IMG20220729173855.jpg
IMG20220729173836.jpg

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
52249020767_491da204f9_o.png

Just for something different, an adorable koala I came across while I was on the Nathan Campus of Griffith Uni last night. I was walking along an elevated walkway when I suddenly heard a loud rustling scampering sound so I looked down, and saw this koala climbing up the tree directly in front of me. It was only a few metres away and didn't seem to be phased at all about my presence there.
That area has always had a lot of wildlife but koalas are an extremely rare sight these days in the small patch of urban bushland in my local area compared to back in the day so this was quite a sight to see.

Warmer min temp of 5.4C here this morning with only a few very small patches of light frost. Some cloud and additional moisture during the coming week.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Anyone who has the bom app , just wondering if it is my phone or it's a glitch.

The BOM app when it opens for Yeppoon has just a ____ feels like ____

rest of it displays properly.

I tried Brisbane and it works fine.

Edit : Just realised why ... all the observations on the web stopped at 5.10am

The Bureau will be upgrading critical infrastructure in Queensland on Saturday 30th July 2022. During this period, some real time weather observations for Queensland may be affected. The Bureau will continue to issue and update weather warnings as needed. Thank you for your patience.

I assume they are still being recorded or will today's minimum be missing data.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Proudyno1

One of Us
Dec 29, 2021
Parkinson, QLD

Just for something different, an adorable koala I came across while I was on the Nathan Campus of Griffith Uni last night. I was walking along an elevated walkway when I suddenly heard a loud rustling scampering sound so I looked down, and saw this koala climbing up the tree directly in front of me. It was only a few metres away and didn't seem to be phased at all about my presence there.
That area has always had a lot of wildlife but koalas are an extremely rare sight these days in the small patch of urban bushland in my local area compared to back in the day so this was quite a sight to see.

Warmer min temp of 5.4C here this morning with only a few very small patches of light frost. Some cloud and additional moisture during the coming week.
Love seeing Koala's, such a unique and beautiful animal in the Australian landscape. I believe that the QLD Government, are interested in looking at doing some targeted Koala re-introductions around my area. A fair bit of the bush land here with some good eucalyptus numbers. Would love to see them more often.

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 30 Jul 2022
Time: 12:15 PM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 9.2 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 22.7 C
Min Ground Temp: 5.2 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 19.9 C
Relative Humidity: 49 %
Dew Point: 8.9 C
MSL Pressure: 1024.5 hPa
Wind Speed: 7 kph - light breeze
Wind Direction: SE

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 1/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 29/7/22: Sunny, with some Sc clouds late in the afternoon. Slightly cool from early became cool early in the morning while the temperature fell. After rising from early in the morning the temperature eased to slightly cool and to near average in the mid morning. Late in the morning the temperature became slightly warm before easing to near average from the middle of the day as the temperature rose slowly to the maximum temperature in the mid afternoon. From the mid afternoon the temperature fell, briefly became slightly cool in the mid evening before rising a little later in the afternoon. Dew point fell from early, before rising from early in the morning, slightly below average and to near average in the mid morning. Later in the morning the dew point fell slightly, slightly below average then generally rose slowly, then fell a little from later in the afternoon, which was briefly near average early in the evening before rising later in the evening. Relative humidity rose slowly from early before falling during the morning, close to average becoming slightly below average during the morning and moderately low late in the morning. From the middle of the day the relative humidity rose slowly, slightly below average before rising more quickly from late in the afternoon that was near average at times. Mostly calm winds from early, then light S to SW winds late in the morning before light W to SW wind in the middle of the day. Light WSW to NW winds from early in the afternoon before mostly calm winds in the evening with some SSW to W winds briefly at times.

Today: The temperature generally rose slowly in the early hours before rising more quickly from early this morning that was near average and slightly warm in the second half of the early hours. Dew point was near average from early while rising slowly dropping to slightly below average from mid this morning while falling slightly from early in the morning, before rising slowly from the mid morning. Relative humidity was generally stable that was slightly below average that eased to moderately low briefly early this morning after falling from early in the morning. Mostly calm winds from early with some SSW to SW wind, then light S to SSW from the middle of the early hours before shifting to S to SE from later in the morning.

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
30 years between visits Flowin, you'll have to let us know of your thoughts on the changes in that time.

On K’Gari today and for the next few days.
haven’t been here for nearly thirty years, wasn’t even known as K’Gari last time I was here.
perfect weather- 75 mile beach was quite good even after the big waves just a little over a week ago
ferry ride over yesterday had smooth waters too
1659170956183.jpeg

4CF45FC0-A5F4-4EF8-81F3-8807F478D85C.jpeg

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 31 Jul 2022
Time: 10:30 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 8.8 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.4 C
Min Ground Temp: 5.4 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 17.4 C
Relative Humidity: 70 %
Dew Point: 11.8 C
MSL Pressure: 1025.9 hPa
Wind Speed: 1 kph - light air
Wind Direction: ESE

Present Weather: Clouds generally forming or developing during the preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 7/8
Ground State: Ground dry

Notes of yesterday weather - 30/7/22: Mostly sunny with some Cu clouds. The temperature generally rose slowly in the early hours before rising more quickly from early in the morning that was near average and slightly warm in the second half of the early hours. The maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon before falling during the afternoon, that was briefly slightly cool in the mid afternoon and fell slowly in the evening. Dew point was near average from early while rising slowly dropping to slightly below average from mid morning while falling slightly from early in the morning, before rising slowly from the mid morning, easing to near average from early afternoon. From the mid afternoon the dew point fell slowly. Relative humidity was generally stable that was slightly below average that eased to moderately low briefly early in the morning after falling from early in the morning, and eased to slightly below average from the mid morning. From the late morning the relative humidity rose, eased to near average from the late morning and rose more quickly from the late afternoon. Mostly calm winds from early with some SSW to SW wind, then light S to SSW from the middle of the early hours before shifting to S to SE from later in the morning. Light ENE to SE winds in the afternoon and early evening before mostly calm winds in the evening with some WNW winds during the evening.

Today: Near average temperature from early with the temperature falling slightly at the start of the day, then generally rose slowly while becoming slightly warm from the middle of the day and eased to near average from early in the morning. Dew point fell slightly at the start of the day, before rising afterwards that have been close to average. Relative humidity was broadly stable from early, before falling during this morning that was near average, dropped to slightly below average from the middle of the early hours and became slightly above average during this morning. Mostly calm winds with some WNW winds and between W and SSE from the later in the early hours with some calm winds light SW to SE from early this morning, SSW to SSE from the mid morning before brief WW to SSW winds and then SE to ENE winds in the last half hour.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
30 years between visits Flowin, you'll have to let us know of your thoughts on the changes in that time.
Probably two main things I’ve noticed between Fraser isl (K’gari) visits nearly 30 years apart.
(1) so many more people now …. makes me wonder how tomorrow’s people will ever get to know the feel of remote areas.
(2) the environmental and 4wd track maintenance of the island seems so much better than the past, even with the recent blame games about fire.
a limited few environmental and 4wd stupidiots still here but they seem much more obvious and out of place now with the current ways of managing this landscape.
I would recommend a visit to anyone , and should not have left it so long for my return.
6FCD1A36-B8C8-41AD-8376-DCBA0EC91C05.jpeg

1659264247388.jpeg

Nic Bri

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Mount Gravatt East
Probably two main things I’ve noticed between Fraser isl (K’gari) visits nearly 30 years apart.
(1) so many more people now …. makes me wonder how tomorrow’s people will ever get to know the feel of remote areas.
(2) the environmental and 4wd track maintenance of the island seems so much better than the past
SO many people now...I have talked to quite a few long term residents up at Orchid Beach. They said because it is the 'jewel in the crown' for QLD National Parks and the revenue it brings in they won't restrict the number of visitors. Still such a beautiful place if you can tolerate the over the top 4wd bogans chasing and screaming obscenities at the wongari (real life scenario my kids and I witnessed up there in April) :(

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
cheers, yes the numbers of people amazed me as well.

(2) the environmental and 4wd track maintenance of the island seems so much better than the past, even with the recent blame games about fire.
a limited few environmental and 4wd stupidiots still here but they seem much more obvious and out of place now with the current ways of managing this landscape.
I would recommend a visit to anyone , and should not have left it so long for my return.

1659264247388.jpeg

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland

1659264247388.jpeg
Thats the issue, population, The coastal parts of Eastern Australia are filling up with people. Eventually will will have the population of the USA , how on earht will that work? Glad i wont be around for that

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
52254402691_261ef599f7_b.jpg

1659302429741.png

1659302169478.png

Correct @Vinny .... in fact, by the time you get to August, rainfall amounts become very modest all the way down to South Coast of NSW - see above for median rainfall for August. Even lower here by the time you get to September - the first month of spring is typically the driest month here.

In other news, gloomy bleak overcast here with the ground still wet from some rainfall overnight.

Some areas could also get thick fog by tomorrow morning, helped by a post-rain environment

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 1 Aug 2022
Time: 9:05 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 12.4 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 20.2 C
Min Ground Temp: 9.5 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 2.6 mm

Temperature: 13.9 C
Relative Humidity: 96 %
Dew Point: 13.4 C
MSL Pressure: 1022.1 hPa
Wind Speed: 2 kph - light air
Wind Direction: SE

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 10km to 19km - Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 8/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 31/7/22: Cloudy periods with Cu and Sc clouds. Light few drops in the late morning. Near average temperature from early with the temperature falling slightly at the start of the day, then generally rose slowly while becoming slightly warm from the middle of the early hours and eased to near average from early in the morning. From later in the morning the temperature generally rose slowly that was quite variable becoming slightly cool, before falling from early in the afternoon. Early in the evening the temperature was near average while generally falling slowly becoming slightly warm later in the evening. Dew point fell slightly at the start of the day, before rising afterwards that was been close to average. Dew point generally fell from the middle of the day before rising slowly from the late afternoon, becoming slightly above average from the mid evening. Relative humidity was broadly stable from early, before falling during the morning that was near average, dropped to slightly below average from the middle of the early hours and became slightly above average during the morning. Relative humidity rose a little in the late morning, and temporarily became moderately high while generally falling until the mid afternoon. From the mid afternoon the relative humidity rose, slightly above average and briefly near average early in the evening. Mostly calm winds with some WNW winds and between W and SSE from the later in the early hours with some calm winds, light SW to SE from early this morning, SSW to SSE from the mid morning before brief WW to SSW winds and then SE to ENE winds in the middle of the day. Winds tended NNE to E in the afternoon before mostly calm winds in the evening with some NNE to ENE early in the evening and WNW and SW later in the evening.

Today: Light showers in the second half of the early hours. The temperature was generally stable from early, slightly warm becoming warm from the middle of the early hours before rising from early this morning while dropping back to near average early this morning and slightly cool currently. Dew point generally rose slowly from early, slightly above average and moderately high from the middle of the early hours to early this morning. Relative humidity was slightly above average at the start of the day, then near average afterwards, while rising slowly. Relative humidity continued to rise slowly this morning, while becoming moderately high. Calm winds from early with periods of W to SW winds during the early hours and SW to ESE later in the early hours. Mostly calm winds from early with some S to SW winds at times.

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
From the " Bygone Brisbane and Vintage Queensland " site.......Brisbane Feb 1893, taken from Kangaroo Point. And the 1841 flood was higher.

4103O - 1893 flood..jpg

Also using the Bom flood records ( not including 2022 ) from colonization to the Federation Drought Brisbane River floods were fairly common. This flood map is now largely irrelevant as the Somerset Dam on the Stanley River was completed in 1960 and the Wivenhoe Dam on the Brisbane River was completed about 1976, so many of the smaller floods since 1960 would not be shown. But the point is it used to wetter pre Federation Drought, and this lengthy wet period virtually ended overnight around 1900, and took a long time to be re established in more recent times.

4103R - Maximum-recorded-gauge-height-on-the-Brisbane-River-at-the-Brisbane-City-gauge-for.png

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
I'm surprised there's no chatter in the NSW/VIC threads about their upcoming significant rain event in north-east Victoria, ACT and southern NSW during this week. A possible 100-350 mm with EC forecasting 275 and ACC 364. That is seriously big for that region and would cause major flooding in the upper Murray River. It could also have interesting implications as it would send big flows down the River right through Victoria and South Australia.

In the meantime, pretty quiet for us. Looking at the next two weeks, there's a pattern of lows/cold fronts progressing across southern Australia combining with inland troughing and moisture inflow from the Indian Ocean (due to the negative IOD). We are seeing temperatures rise as warmer inland air is drawn from the north and north-west into our region and mid/upper level air warms ahead of the troughs. The troughs/fronts aren't forecast to bring much rain to SEQ for a few reasons:

1) They don't extend north enough because of the typical south-easterly arc as they push east and probably because a neutral-positive SAM keeps the bulk of the line further south.
2) Rain shadow effect but on the inland side of the great dividing range instead of onshore
3) No real moisture inflow from the Coral Sea despite a trade burst building

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
1659324159421.png

I'm surprised there's no chatter in the NSW/VIC threads about their upcoming significant rain event in north-east Victoria, ACT and southern NSW during this week. A possible 100-350 mm with EC forecasting 275 and ACC 364. That is seriously big for that region and would cause major flooding in the upper Murray River. It could also have interesting implications as it would send big flows down the River right through Victoria and South Australia.

In the meantime, pretty quiet for us. Looking at the next two weeks, there's a pattern of lows/cold fronts progressing across southern Australia combining with inland troughing and moisture inflow from the Indian Ocean (due to the negative IOD). We are seeing temperatures rise as warmer inland air is drawn from the north and north-west into our region and mid/upper level air warms ahead of the troughs. The troughs/fronts aren't forecast to bring much rain to SEQ for a few reasons:

1) They don't extend north enough because of the typical south-easterly arc as they push east and probably because a neutral-positive SAM keeps the bulk of the line further south.
2) Rain shadow effect but on the inland side of the great dividing range instead of onshore
3) No real moisture inflow from the Coral Sea despite a trade burst building

The rainshadow effect on the coastal side of the ranges is often very noticeable in winter setups involving any kind of westerly component to the flow @Nature's Fury II , and often tends to be most pronounced along the NSW coast. This one's no exception as you can see above in the euro's 10-day totals.

Rainshadowing also often tends to be particularly pronounced in areas in VIC like the coastal part of the Gippsland and even Melbourne itself - both areas often do pretty poorly with rain totals in setups like these.

Rays74

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 8, 2020
1659324159421.png

The rainshadow effect on the coastal side of the ranges is often very noticeable in winter setups involving any kind of westerly component to the flow @Nature's Fury II , and often tends to be most pronounced along the NSW coast. This one's no exception as you can see above in the euro's 10-day totals.

Rainshadowing also often tends to be particularly pronounced in areas in VIC like the coastal part of the Gippsland and even Melbourne itself - both areas often do pretty poorly with rain totals in setups like these.

Probably warm rain too.
Most likely game over for the ski season I'd imagine.

Or at least wash all the snow base away

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane

1659333335066.png

There should be some more snow coming for the alpine areas this week, and particularly on the weekend which should add more to the base for a time. Lower elevations in the alpine regions run the risk of rain rather than snow though.

Locally, coolness during the middle of the day today here + moist air = condensed breath.

Fog forecast for tomorrow morning from Meteye above as well (example is for 4am). Fog potential will be higher in any areas which have clearer skies by the overnight/early morning hours, a post-rain environment, and the westerly being weak enough, but lower potential in areas which are lacking those.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
Thats the issue, population, The coastal parts of Eastern Australia are filling up with people. Eventually will will have the population of the USA , how on earht will that work? Glad i wont be around for that

Bit of a different case with the US @Gleno71

Compared with Australia, they have a higher proportion of land through the interior (e.g. the Plains States) where enough moisture regularly penetrates to make it relatively hospitable and fertile for people to live.
Sure, a reasonable chunk of that's taken up by farming, and there are still areas like the desert southwest region which are arid.... but if you've ever flown across the heartland from coast to coast, you'll notice how the population's fairly spread out with lots of farmland or even big areas of undeveloped land once you get away from the bigger cities. That's despite the total population being far higher than Australia's.

In contrast, most of Australia's population is restricted to near the E, SE, and SW coast and adjacent inland because a large proportion of the rest of the country is so arid and difficult to sustain a high population.

Mega

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
gone

Bit of a different case with the US @Gleno71

Compared with Australia, they have a higher proportion of land through the interior (e.g. the Plains States) where enough moisture regularly penetrates to make it relatively hospitable and fertile for people to live.
Sure, a reasonable chunk of that's taken up by farming, and there are still areas like the desert southwest region which are arid.... but if you've ever flown across the heartland from coast to coast, you'll notice how the population's fairly spread out with lots of farmland or even big areas of undeveloped land once you get away from the bigger cities. That's despite the total population being far higher than Australia's.

In contrast, most of Australia's population is restricted to near the E, SE, and SW coast and adjacent inland because a large proportion of the rest of the country is so arid and difficult to sustain a high population.
Parts of the video I've linked are very relevant to this.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Just noticed after 6 weeks after a heavy prune in height the lilly pillies have visible buds coming out with new growth..

Looks like our warmest day is Friday 25 deg then next Monday it has the cool nights returning . From Wednesday onwards though next week right until at least the 15th it has nights still a little above average at 14 deg on weather.com (average is 12.8 ) though it remains to be seen what happens .

Steptoe

Hard Yards
Feb 10, 2021

Odd for a koala to be in a paper bark Tee Tree. Not their usual preferred trees.

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
Would appreciate some feedback pls:
Milton just before. There was a little bit of rain that actually made it the ground from that cloud trapped beneath strong inversion at about 8000'.

The bright cumulus catching last of sun presuming is convection that was happening in the mid levels that was moving in from NW with the tail end of the troughs & was enough to show up on radar?

20220801_174123[1].jpg

Screenshot_20220801-174216_BOM_Weather[1].jpg

IDS65024.94578 (2).png

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane

Odd for a koala to be in a paper bark Tee Tree. Not their usual preferred trees.

That was the very first thought that ran through my head too when I saw it starting to eat its leaves @Steptoe .... I saw it start clambering up the tree (see video above) and I thought it might've just been looking for somewhere to sleep. But then I saw it grab some small branches, pull them towards itself, and start munching. And munch happily away it did for quite awhile. It had a decent feast and was still eating when I eventually left.

I was curious so after I got home, I decided to look up what types of leaves it eats, and turns out melaleuca leaves are one of the non-eucalypts they eat: https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/wildlife/animals/living-with/koalas/facts#:~:text=Koalas eat a variety of,, paperbark and bloodwood trees . Not sure if they prefer them less than eucalypts or how often they eat them depending on any food shortages for them at the time but this one seemed quite content with eating those leaves.

Homer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2005
Castle Hill - Sydney

That was the very first thought that ran through my head too when I saw it starting to eat its leaves @Steptoe .... I saw it start clambering up the tree (see video above) and I thought it might've just been looking for somewhere to sleep. But then I saw it grab some small branches, pull them towards itself, and start munching. And munch happily away it did for quite awhile. It had quite a feast.
So I decided to look up what types of leaves it eats, and turns out melaleuca leaves are one of the non-eucalypts they eat: https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/wildlife/animals/living-with/koalas/facts#:~:text=Koalas eat a variety of,, paperbark and bloodwood trees).

I thought the same as the others.
Thanks for the expanation.

Tweetie

One of Us
Dec 21, 2020
This may interest someone.

When a flash of lightning occurs it generates a radio signal called a spheric (sferic).

Sounds like a short burst of static over the constant background hash.

This online radio (based in Brisbane) is tuned to a ‘quiet’ patch of the Low Frequency band and set up to highlight the flashes. The site is currently running about half a second behind the realtime flashes.

This is best at night when radio signals in this band travel further. During the day only relatively close flashes, say within 200km, will be heard.

7205865E-A003-4C6F-ACA4-FC607426DD52.jpeg

The display shows a spectrum across a range of frequencies in the band. The spikes at top are active radio sources.

A lightning flash will show as a horizontal line in the lower ‘waterfall’ display. This is because the flash covers a wide range of frequencies.

This site below shows cloud to ground flashes within a few seconds.

At the time of posting this (9pm) I am ‘listening’ to lightning over the mid Tasman Sea.

Anyhow, something to look at.

Edit on the edit: I have only just started playing with this thing… if the link doesn’t hold the frequency etc, just google

kiwisdr Brisbane

and set the frequency to 338.0 (near enough)
In Select Band - click LW (low wave)
Set Spec
Set LSB (lower side band)
- as per the pic I put in above.

Last edited:

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
neato Tweetie. I could pick up RN Newcastle which was running a fraction between my analogue Transistor radio picking up RN 792 from the towers out at Bald Hills (I think they are?).

Hey if you're up above the clouds Tuesday can you take a picture of the sun for old times sake pls?

This may interest someone.

When a flash of lightning occurs it generates a radio signal called a spheric (sferic).

Sounds like a short burst of static over the constant background hash.

This online radio (based in Brisbane) is tuned to a ‘quiet’ patch of the Low Frequency band and set up to highlight the flashes. The site is currently running about half a second behind the realtime flashes.

This is best at night when radio signals in this band travel further. During the day only relatively close flashes, say within 200km, will be heard.

7205865E-A003-4C6F-ACA4-FC607426DD52.jpeg

The display shows a spectrum across a range of frequencies in the band. The spikes at top are active radio sources.

A lightning flash will show as a horizontal line in the lower ‘waterfall’ display. This is because the flash covers a wide range of frequencies.

This site below shows cloud to ground flashes within a few seconds.

At the time of posting this (9pm) I am ‘listening’ to lightning over the mid Tasman Sea.

Anyhow, something to look at.

Edit on the edit: I have only just started playing with this thing… if the link doesn’t hold the frequency etc, just google

kiwisdr Brisbane

and set the frequency to 338.0 (near enough)
In Select Band - click LW (low wave)
Set Spec
Set LSB (lower side band)
- as per the pic I put in above.

Gleno71

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Gold Coast, Queensland
I listen to a lot of AM radio ( 4BC and sometimes the ABC ) and i noticed especially with 4BC i can hardly hear anything but static after say 6pm . When 4BC was on 1116 ,it was a lot more clearler compared to when it is on 882 which is there new frequency. God knows why they changed frequencies.

Anyhow some evenings i can get 2GB Sydney clear as crystal and that radio station is 1000 kms away.

On the AM band, you know when there is storms about even if the storms are over 500km away

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using