Day to Day NE NSW / QLD

Retired Weather Man

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Wynnum North - Brisbane - Queensland
Another Feb 1893 shot in Brisbane from the " Bygone Brisbane " site, this time in Elizabeth St. Hope the new Cross River Rail underground station being built nearby has a high entrance for next time round.

4103W - Feb 1893, Elizabeth St..jpg

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
I’m from Melbourne, but in Brisbane for this week. From the weather warnings in just about every other region across the country, we’ve picked a good week to be here!

Those pictures from above the fog, a few posts up, are amazing. We’ve been watching that this morning, and also Tuesday

Yesterday was clear, and a rather colourful sunrise through the smoke from Stradbroke burns. We can see that pyro cloud from here along Southbank.
This is our view of the fog from 28 floors up

73CE7DCB-5F60-4E2F-B65A-09D52E66A4CC.jpeg

And same view after it lifts early.

A5DAC427-D945-4838-87FB-12A33EEF70AE.jpeg

Fog about 9am at ground level as it was lifting.

A56372A8-2C89-4B00-91F9-5052B1D5E480.jpeg

This morning with the sun through the mist

6F52CFFD-AF43-4D8F-800E-B5FB63EAEA7F.jpeg

We were off the northern coast of Moreton Island yesterday. You could see the smoke cloud above Stradbroke from there, too

2318A8D7-0C87-4653-9A62-09638A2C4EB0.jpeg

I think the whales were slapping at the water trying to splash the fire out!

C43169E4-EE3B-4B7E-A046-851A57300485.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Despite it warming up it's not the best weather for getting washing dry . The air is humid 18 deg dp 81 percent humidity. Barely any wind either . Takes a full day plus half a second day .

Also not great for mopping the tiled floors so will wait until next week when the air is dry .

In summer though it dries fast despite the humidity but probably due to being warmer overall.

Lot of boats going out on the water this morning because of such light winds on the water. Harbour was quite busy. Makes me wonder who is going out on boats. Looks like middle aged men possibly retired from what I saw lol.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I’m from Melbourne, but in Brisbane for this week. From the weather warnings in just about every other region across the country, we’ve picked a good week to be here!

Those pictures from above the fog, a few posts up, are amazing. We’ve been watching that this morning, and also Tuesday

Yesterday was clear, and a rather colourful sunrise through the smoke from Stradbroke burns. We can see that pyro cloud from here along Southbank.
This is our view of the fog from 28 floors up

73CE7DCB-5F60-4E2F-B65A-09D52E66A4CC.jpeg

And same view after it lifts early.

A5DAC427-D945-4838-87FB-12A33EEF70AE.jpeg

Fog about 9am at ground level as it was lifting.

A56372A8-2C89-4B00-91F9-5052B1D5E480.jpeg

This morning with the sun through the mist

6F52CFFD-AF43-4D8F-800E-B5FB63EAEA7F.jpeg

We were off the northern coast of Moreton Island yesterday. You could see the smoke cloud above Stradbroke from there, too

2318A8D7-0C87-4653-9A62-09638A2C4EB0.jpeg

I think the whales were slapping at the water trying to splash the fire out!

C43169E4-EE3B-4B7E-A046-851A57300485.jpeg

Geez you sure picked a warm quiet week to be here @rime noreason !
Temps going to be even further above average tomorrow before the next front arrives with a chance of a bit of rain and relatively lower temps behind it.

It's only one of the few quiet warm weeks we've had in a number of months with much of the remainder of the time being wet, chilly, or windy.... and various combos of any of them.

You just missed out on the strong winds and big rough seas here from a recent east coast low too. I'm figuring you're probably glad about that though haha

Scotty_M

One of Us
Oct 18, 2021
Bundamba, QLD
Bit disappointing to see colder weather coming back again next week to give a July feel back to reality. C'mon its August and let get to Spring! We need bees, flowers and greeneries
I'm all for keeping the seasons at average. Having seasons is important for ecosystems. Climate change is already making our weather warmer. Be careful what you wish for.

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty cool Tweetie. Also heard 'Werewolves of London' on a very staticky 1026 4AA Mackay. Where does aviation communicator appear on those frequencies?

For those looking at this thread overnight.

Lot of lightning to hear on this over the next few night hours.

including the storms currently SW of NZ.

Type in 2700 in the frequency and select LSB (lower side band)

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I was weeding the garden yesterday. Despite it being sandy it is still quite damp that is despite the 132 mm deficit in rainfall year to date.

Meanwhile Rocky is 68.8mm ahead on year to date even if no rain fell this month.

I reckon this is going to be a bit like June again , dry and then a change sometime in September.

Edited to add .. not sure the IOD will have any effect on my area.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tweetie

One of Us
Dec 21, 2020
That's pretty cool Tweetie. Also heard 'Werewolves of London' on a very staticky 1026 4AA Mackay. Where does aviation communicator appear on those frequencies?
Hello Multi.

HF (High Frequency) frequencies are here for aviation.

Unfortunately not much will be heard on the oceanic ones due satellite comms etc.

To add a meteorological aspect to this, you will hear very distant lightning as well :).

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 5 Aug 2022
Time: 9:10 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 11.9 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 23.4 C
Min Ground Temp: 9.2 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 0.2 mm (Dew)

Temperature: 18.3 C
Relative Humidity: 90 %
Dew Point: 16.7 C
MSL Pressure: 1013.7 hPa
Wind Speed: Calm
Wind Direction: Calm

Present Weather: Clouds generally forming or developing during the preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 3/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 4/8/22: Mostly sunny with some Cu clouds. Slightly warm from early while the temperature steadily fell, before near average temperature from early in the morning while rising. From the mid morning the temperature was a little variable while rising less quickly. The maximum temperature was reached in the early afternoon, before falling afterwards that became warm from early in the evening. Dew point fell steadily from early, moderately high at the start of the day, became slightly above average before becoming moderately high from the morning after rising from early in the morning. From the mid morning the dew point rose slowly, before falling from early in the afternoon, moderately high. Relative humidity rose slowly from early that have been slightly above average, near average for a period later in the early hours before becoming moderately high in the morning while falling. From the late morning the relative humidity became high and stable, rose slowly in the afternoon becoming very high in the mid to late afternoon. From the late afternoon the relative humidity rose easing to moderately high in the early evening and to slightly above average later in the evening. Mostly calm winds from early with some W winds at times until later in the early hours before light W to SW winds in the morning with some calm winds. From the mid morning the wind tended to NW to NE, N to ENE in the afternoon before NNW to NNE winds in the evening.

Today: The temperature fell from early that was hot at the start of the day, eased to warm during the early hours, and to slightly warm later in the early hours. The temperature rose from early this morning, close to average. Dew point have been moderately high that fell from early before rising from early in the morning. Relative humidity rose slowly from early before falling from early in the morning. Light N to NW winds from early before mostly calm winds from the middle of the early hour with some SSW to SW winds before calm winds from late in the early hours.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
I'm all for keeping the seasons at average. Having seasons is important for ecosystems. Climate change is already making our weather warmer. Be careful what you wish for.

For awhile now, I've actually been dreading the possible eventual prospect of things going back to the heat/drought/fires/etc pattern for large parts of Australia once La Nina and the longer timescale negative-IPO phase eventually goes away (in saying that, rainfall patterns and flooding are erratic in this country anyway even without those influences so nothing's a given).

Which is why I'm making the most of the cool wet oasis that it's currently been like, minus the devastating flooding bits of course.

On the upside, longer range ensembles keep hinting at SEQ/NE NSW continuing to remain a bit of a sheltered oasis of cooler temps through the coming weeks compared to large parts of the rest of the country.

Ken Kato

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2019
Brisbane
52264341645_8f777ba2d4_o.jpg

52262881297_f745c340e3_o.gif

52264141854_25aa634c38_o.gif

Image 1 - The front's and its upper component is producing a nice looking cloudband that extends all the way down to New Zealand.

Image 2 (animation) - Multimodel chance of rainfall today into tomorrow morning.

Image 3 (animation) - ICON precip and automatic front detection. The little red lightning bolt symbols are self explanatory. Remember that ICON often has a tendency to underestimate precip though. Not expecting a major rain event here or anything like that but many places will probably still get something with the main focus on the overnight/early morning period.

Naturestorms91

One of Us
Oct 22, 2021
Bayside Brisbane - Wakerley
For awhile now, I've actually been dreading the possible eventual prospect of things going back to the heat/drought/fires/etc pattern for large parts of Australia once La Nina and the longer timescale negative-IPO phase eventually goes away (in saying that, rainfall patterns and flooding are erratic in this country anyway even without those influences so nothing's a given).

Which is why I'm making the most of the cool wet oasis that it's currently been like, minus the devastating flooding bits of course.

On the upside, longer range ensembles continuing to hint at SEQ/NE NSW continuing to remain a bit of a sheltered oasis of cooler temps through the coming weeks compared to large parts of the rest of the country.
I am concerned about that too. Could be repeat of 2002 drought after a triple La Nina from 1998. Year of 2000 was coldest and wet year similar to now. In 2001 the El Nino cycle kicked in.

Right now we prepare to conserve water and reduce waste on resources.

Nature's Fury II

One of Us
Dec 25, 2021
West Brisbane
I don't think we're going to reach 26 today with this cloud cover which is a shame.

Ken, is there an accurate graph of the IPO you have available? This one appears to be either inaccurate or doesn't show the sudden drop:

And I too worry that we may see a very abrupt and long-lasting change to dry conditions after this. Remember in the 2010s, we became quite dry after the 2010-2012 Nina period, especially from 2016-2019. The only reason it wasn't worse was because we had one-off significant events like Oswald, Marcia, Debbie. Without them it would have been an even more remarkable dry decade like the 00s (which didn't see these wandering tropical systems).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019

Mega

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
gone
I don't think we're going to reach 26 today with this cloud cover which is a shame.

Ken, is there an accurate graph of the IPO you have available? This one appears to be either inaccurate or doesn't show the sudden drop:

And I too worry that we may see a very abrupt and long-lasting change to dry conditions after this. Remember in the 2010s, we became quite dry after the 2010-2012 Nina period, especially from 2016-2019. The only reason it wasn't worse was because we had one-off significant events like Oswald, Marcia, Debbie. Without them it would have been an even more remarkable dry decade like the 00s (which didn't see these wandering tropical systems).
Me too. I said this in another thread but it's inevitable that we fall back into another long dry spell eventually after this recent wet period. It's par for the course living in Australia. However, climate change is making these periods more prolonged and much more pronounced like we saw in 2019 with all the drought & the bushfires (and even the widespread flood events earlier this year and last year). 2019 was the driest I've ever seen it up here so I shudder to think how much worse our dry periods could actually become longer term.

PS the weather over the past few days has been beautiful. It's not cold; it's not hot. It's just right. Shorts & T-shirt weather. But back to more lame cold nights from tomorrow. :tany:

WarwickEye2Sky

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Warwick
Some good periods of moderate rain this afternoon continuing into this evening. It’s still going…
We had 7mm on Monday. Will see what the total is for this rain event in the morning. Back to some frosty conditions over the next few days. At least days will not be too uncomfortable at around 18C. The higher sun angle and longer days should finally put an end to the really cold stuff, but of course you can’t rule it out all together just yet.

Proudyno1

One of Us
Dec 29, 2021
Parkinson, QLD
Usually don’t get to open the window in august, but tonight is just a perfect temperature. Waiting for the rain to arrive and then it will be perfect sleeping weather.

On another note I do have to agree with what others have said. A La Niña like the one we had this year is bad, don’t get me wrong, but I just feel for our region and Australia in general, El Niño has the potential to be just so much more devastating. The droughts over the last 20 years have just been horrific and the summer of 2019-2020 was something I never could of imagined and never ever want to see again. That summer was the first time me and my family were actually threatened by bushfires locally, in suburbia, and the daily routine of waking up to smoke and dust for 2-3 months was horrible.

Others might disagree, and that’s fair, I have been lucky enough to never live through a flood and so can’t really understand the traumatic experience of that event, but bushfires and drought just seem so much scarier and daunting to me compared to a flood. I guess it’s just up to personal experience.

Couple of memorable photos from that summer:
F0B1ACE9-A14B-4519-811C-C4B3B9C4C090.jpeg

Completely forgot about this photo, should probably check the local station as that’s an incredible temperature.
9D7E949C-6A4F-4CFB-92E5-90B414D887F2.png

6B3E9DB1-35D2-4A70-A539-11BF0069C67C.jpeg

9FB930ED-02E1-47BB-B7A1-812D5136A754.jpeg

chunky

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Oh here is a small clip I've just finished. As I have said in the comments for it I know there are quite a few mistakes but I am still learning the art of this. A selection of storm activity from last season. The sunsets are all after storm decays. I witnessed an amazing storm build up over the Scenic Rim where you can see a tower building on the left and then it just dies. I should have and I knew it, should have pulled over and started photographing that a lot sooner as there was a lot of activity I missed.

wernerk

One of Us
Jul 5, 2019
Flinders Park
Oh here is a small clip I've just finished. As I have said in the comments for it I know there are quite a few mistakes but I am still learning the art of this. A selection of storm activity from last season. The sunsets are all after storm decays. I witnessed an amazing storm build up over the Scenic Rim where you can see a tower building on the left and then it just dies. I should have and I knew it, should have pulled over and started photographing that a lot sooner as there was a lot of activity I missed.

Great work Jason. You can see how dynamic & turbulent the atmosphere can be.

Love the various landscapes too!

Multiversity

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2019
very evocative. What's the soundtrack?

Falling_Droplet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2019
Ferny Grove, QLD
fernygroveweather.com
Ferny Grove Weather
Date: 6 Aug 2022
Time: 9:30 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 14.9 C
Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 24.9 C
Min Ground Temp: 13 C
Rain since 9am yesterday: 3.7 mm

Temperature: 16.8 C
Relative Humidity: 81 %
Dew Point: 13.4 C
MSL Pressure: 1014.1 hPa
Wind Speed: 2 kph - light air
Wind Direction: SW

Present Weather: State of sky generally unchanged during preceding hour
Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
Cloud Cover: 7/8
Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 5/8/22: Musty sunny becoming cloudy in afternoon with Cu, Sc and Ac clouds. The temperature fell from early that was hot at the start of the day, eased to warm during the early hours, and to slightly warm later in the early hours. The temperature rose from early morning, slightly warm, before generally falling in the afternoon, close to average becoming warm early in the evening and to hot later in the evening. Dew point was moderately high that fell from early before rising from early in the morning, and rose les quickly from later in the morning. In the afternoon the dew point fell slowly, and fell more quickly in the afternoon, while remaining moderately high. Relative humidity rose slowly from early before falling from early in the morning, close to average, becoming moderate high in the mid morning and high from later in the morning. In the afternoon and evening the relative humidity rose slowly that became very high in the mid afternoon easing to high in the late afternoon and from moderately high early in the evening to near average later in the evening. Light N to NW winds from early before mostly calm winds from the middle of the early hour with some SSW to SW winds before calm winds from late in the early hours. From the mid morning the wind was variable, then light S to SW winds late in the morning, WNW to SW during the afternoon before variable winds late in the afternoon and early in the evening. Calm winds in the evening with some WSW to SSW and W to SW winds later in the evening.

Today: Light showers late in the early hours. The temperature fell from early that was hot before rising from early this morning, easing to warm early this morning and near average in the past hour. Dew point fell slowly from early, moderately high before starting to rise a little this morning, easing to slightly above average in the past hour. Relative humidity generally rose slowly from early, near or slightly below average before falling from early this morning, becoming slightly above average in the past hour. Calm winds from early with periods of SSW to W winds with some WNW winds later in the early hours. Light NW to SW winds from late in the early hours.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
23.2 deg today so far warmest since the 23rd of July and before that warmest since 27 th June.

Muggy though dew point is on 20 deg humidity around 80 percent cloudy and feels like 25 deg.

Wonder if we are in for an early spring with temps as if you go to weather.com for Yeppoon it has temps for days from the 16th onwards around 23-24 each day rather than 22 deg.

rime noreason

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Geez you sure picked a warm quiet week to be here @rime noreason !
Temps going to be even further above average tomorrow before the next front arrives with a chance of a bit of rain and relatively lower temps behind it.

It's only one of the few quiet warm weeks we've had in a number of months with much of the remainder of the time being wet, chilly, or windy.... and various combos of any of them.

You just missed out on the strong winds and big rough seas here from a recent east coast low too. I'm figuring you're probably glad about that though haha
I certainly did @Ken Kato , it’s been beautiful all week.

Cloudy yesterday so didn’t make it to the forecast 27, which was fine as we were out and about.

EF52145D-1DD2-40D4-BEAC-0649BC843E61.jpeg

The sun was warm when it poked through, so would have been a bit warmer than comfortable at 27 and sunny.

Some rain must have fallen overnight as the streets were damp this morning, but no rain that we saw.

This morning was mild and cloudy, then sun broke through for a lovely afternoon.

9CA22A51-6AD9-4639-BE0D-128BFD200B20.jpeg
9F728D07-2FA0-4467-B378-9FACCCCC15A8.jpeg

Even the Dragons were enjoying a Saturday sunbathe.

9D19DCBB-4792-4F8A-A0E9-AA7AD1FDE1B4.jpeg

Gorgeous cloud formations as the skies cleared around lunchtime today.

8D2D1ACF-C8B5-4FC2-9617-C4110E22B615.jpeg
269F68E5-12F2-4F16-B38B-7CB8A4E1E6FB.jpeg

C8B327D1-26E3-47C7-9ECC-37EB58D5F989.jpeg

Thank you, Brisbane!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using