Day to Day NE NSW / SE QLD weather

Discussion in 'Daily & Chat' started by Jellybeans, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Epic Photo George well done

2. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

not a bad view from there

3. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Agreed, awesome photo Gberg, you sure take some exceptional photos

4. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Both 18z and 12z EC had slight upgrades in how far north they bring snowfall on Tuesday.... but still looks marginal overall.

Soundings suggest two brief limited windows of opportunity for high terrain on the southern Granite Belt (EC's snowline is quite high) – the 1st one being in the dark early hours of Tue morning between about 1am and 6am (with a main focus on the 3am to 4am period)..... and a possible 2nd one between about 6pm and 11pm Tue night.

Meanwhile latest 00z ICON has had a slight downgrade so I'm hoping it's not going to be indicative of what the 00z EC's going to do as well.

I'm snowchasing with mixed expectations.

5. MegaMatch

MegaMatch One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Little or no rain for the next two weeks from the looks of it.

PeteJ, Gleno71, TrentG and 3 others like this.
  6. CirrusFibratus

CirrusFibratus One of Us

Expected a bit more strength in the westerlies today, looks like the forecast is for higher winds tomorrow at least.

PeteJ, Gleno71, TrentG and 5 others like this.
  7. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

As far as EC goes for Brisbane, it’s always been forecasting the gustier winds for tomorrow rather than today.

8. Rays74

Rays74 Hard Yards

Beautiful sunset from Toowoomba tonight
    Very crisp fresh air.
    Probably a frost in the next day or two , if the wind keeps away

Seabreezes, 4107, PeteJ and 10 others like this.
  9. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Radar shows some showers near Stanhope

10. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Good luck chaseres

Flowin, Gleno71, TrentG and 2 others like this.
  11. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Yep @Tsunami those are just the initial ones though. EC’s still adamant on the main drizzly showers coming through in the dark small hours of Tue morning with the borderline snowfall potential between 2 and 5am on the highest peaks. But still an eachway bet between rain and snow/sleet.

I’m sitting beside a nice log fire near Stanthorpe atm so it’s nice regardless.

Flowin, Gleno71, TrentG and 7 others like this.
  12. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Yea me to.. beside a nice log fire. Saw plenty of snow in nz. Still great to see

13. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Actually disregard my last post @Tsunami , the current echoes on radar is just chaff released by military aircraft earlier.

14. Sandbank

Sandbank One of Us

According to FB , snow in Guyra. Albeit in tiny amounts.

Seabreezes, PeteJ, Flowin and 6 others like this.
  15. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Bugger

16. Falling_Droplet

Falling_Droplet One of Us

A near average maximum temperature with the temperature a little variable from the late morning to the mid afternoon. Cool tonight before the temperature generally rose from 9pm and temporarily fell a little later tonight before starting to rise again at the end of today but has remained cool. The dew point stopped falling in the mid morning, became moderately low and generally rose slowly during the rest of the morning returning to near average and was rather variable. In the afternoon the dew point resumed falling moderately low, became stable in the mid afternoon and then rose during the rest of the afternoon and early tonight. From 9pm the temperature the dew point have started to fall again.

Moderately low daytime relative humidity with the relative humidity falling quickly in the morning. Moderately low relative humidity tonight stopped rising at 9pm and have been generally falling becoming rather low. Light WNW to NW winds in the morning, shifted WNW to WSW with some NW winds from the mid morning, W to WNW in the late afternoon with the winds easing with some NNW to WNW winds. The wind was calm for about one hour before W to NW winds developed from 9pm.

Last 24 hours:

Flowin, Gleno71, whether and 2 others like this.
  17. Sandbank

Sandbank One of Us

There's an odd anomaly. 5.5 degs at Maroochydore Airport at 6.15am and 6.2 at Warwick. ‍♂️

PeteJ, Flowin, Gleno71 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

The AWS at Maroochydore Airport is actually well known to be a cold site in winter when winds die down. Meanwhile some cloud cover (and patchy showers further south) drifted over the southern Downs early this morning and kept temps from dropping too low.

19. Michael Hauber

Michael Hauber One of Us

Have noticed that, I think it needs a gentle westerly to be the coldest. Is it because its in the middle of a quite flat area? I remember years ago walking just south of Mt Coolum on a cold night and you could feel the cold air pouring off the steep rocky south side, and it got noticeably colder as you got closer. But I would think its too far north to affect the airport AWS?

I now live on the NW slope of Buderim, and go on morning jogs. It is quite noticeable that the valley through the middle of buderim's north slopes (Martin Creek) funnels cold air down to the bottom (Maroochydore Road Kunda Park). I was too chicken to face that cold this morning so stuck to running back and forth up on top of the ridge.

20. Retired Weather Man

Retired Weather Man One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

WYNNUM NORTH ( 27.4S 153.2E ) - WEATHER
    23 JUNE 2020 TIME....0755
    CURRENT TEMPERATURE...13.2C
    CURRENT HUMIDITY........65%
    CURRENT DEW POINT........7C
    CURRENT WIND DIR/SPEED..WNW 14Kph
    CURRENT VISIBILITY.....40KM
    CURRENT PRESSURE..1015.3Hpa
    CURRENT CLOUD......Nil
    CURRENT WEATHER...No significant weather
    RAIN SINCE 0900 MONDAY..0.0mm
    SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS
    YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........20.0C
    THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......7.9C
    PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-2.35C
    THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......6.2C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.......6C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE....1014.3Hpa
    MAX WIND GUST PAST 24 HOURS.. W 36Kph at 1026
    LAST 24 HOUR SIGNIFICANT WEATHER....No significant weather.

PeteJ, Flowin, Gleno71 and 3 others like this.
  21. Falling_Droplet

Ferny Grove Weather
    Date: 23 Jun 2020
    Time: 9:00 AM

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 9.5 C
    Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 21.1 C
    Min Ground Temp: 7.9 C
    Rain since 9am yesterday: Trace (Dew)
    Temperature: 15.4 C
    Relative Humidity: 55 %
    Dew Point: 6.4 C
    MSL Pressure: 1016.1 hPa
    Wind Speed: 8 kph - light breeze
    Wind Direction: N

Present Weather: No cloud development observed
    Visibility: 20km to 39km - Very Good Visibility
    Cloud Cover: 0/8
    Ground State: Ground moist

Notes of yesterday weather - 22/6/20: Sunny. A light shower at 1am. The temperature was a little variable from the late morning to the mid afternoon. Cool in the evening before the temperature generally rose from 9pm and temporarily fell a little later in the evening before starting to rise again at the end of the day but has remained cool. The dew point fell in the early hours, continued to fall in the morning close to average, stopped falling in the mid morning became moderately low and generally rose slowly during the rest of the morning returning to near average and was rather variable. In the afternoon the dew point resumed falling moderately low, became stable in the mid afternoon and then rose during the rest of the afternoon and in the early evening. Later in the evening the dew point started to fall again and became low. Relative humidity was high and stable in the early hours, moderately low daytime relative humidity with the relative humidity falling quickly in the morning. Moderately low relative humidity in the evening stopped rising at 9pm and then generally fell becoming rather low. In the early hours winds were mostly calm with some brief NNE to WSW winds at 1am and some W to NW winds later in the early hours. In the morning were increasing light WNW to NW winds, shifted WNW to WSW with some NW winds from the mid morning, W to WNW in the late afternoon with the winds easing with some NNW to WNW winds. The wind was calm for about one hour before W to NW winds developed from 9pm.

Today: The temperature rose or was stable at times in the early hours while generally falling with the wind persisting. A slightly below average minimum temperature. The dew point was low and stable in the early hours before rising this morning moderately low. Moderately low relative humidity early was a little variable while rising becoming low this morning falling quite quickly. Light WNW to NW winds during much of the early hours, then N to WNW before light NW to NE winds this morning.

22. Vinny

Vinny Hard Yards

This has been a strange year here, all the rain in Feb and one week of March, not a very windy year, humidity in summer in Yeppoon probably as bad as Cairns for several weeks , then May starts to cool off and June ends up with so far 19 of 23 nights being above average.

Would be nice to have more than a week of cooler nights seems it's going back to mild nights again from the weekend ! ...

The way the nights are going we probably will end up similar to May nights, around 15 deg averaged.

----

What happened to the people who posted from Townsville and Cairns, did they go elsewhere, I know where the CQ people went and it's rather dead there as to why i came back here.... I feel like if posted in a CQ thread on here , it would just be my posts and nothing else.

I know it seems sort of out of place posting in a SE Qld thread, but it seems for Qld that's where the main posting activity is .

23. MegaMatch

How did you go, @Ken Kato?

Has there been any snow reports in QLD this morning?

edit: Nevermind. Judging by your previous post, it didn't get down to as low as we would have liked.

Seems a few of them went to the *third* weather forum that was created after WZ closed down, though understandably a lot of them would be in hibernation over the dry season.

24. Gleno71

Gleno71 One of Us

Yes i remember there were a few other forums ex-weatherzoners went too but i think most came to this one?

25. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Not sure to be honest Mike, sorry. I’d have to check the site diagram after I get back home. Any flat sheltered areas would generally contribute to lower temps though.

26. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep you assume correctly Mega. Had intermittent rainshowers between 2am and 7am although for a brief moment around 3:30am, there appeared to be a tiny bit of sleety stuff. Too hard to tell for sure with the wind swirling it around though.

Can’t say I’m disappointed or surprised at all though because unlike higher confidence snowfalls in the past here, this one had “borderline” written all over it from the get-go.

There was just enough moisture for precip but simply not quite cold enough - EC forecast snow line was only dipping down to a min of about 1300m around here which eliminated virtually all terrain from getting any snow, 1000-850hpa thickness values were extremely marginal, and I only saw one model whose snowfall forecast reached the border (it was EC but even then, it only lasted for one or two runs and the amount was barely above 0 before it too, went back to 0).

This trip was more out of FOMO than any confident hope of seeing snow.

Currently sitting on 8.2C at 1:50pm in nearby Applethorpe with broken cloud cover continuing to spill over from across the border.

Not even the usually reliable Guyra/Ben Lomond area came back with significant accumulations beyond a dusting that I saw. Mt Kaputar had a bit more though.

Above are some pics from my accomodation. The outdoor patio area is enclosed by a translucent mesh material which trapped in the heat from the log fire so you could walk around “outside” with just normal clothes on despite the cold but you could still hear the winds rustling through the trees and see some of the distant night lights.

Seabreezes, PeteJ, Flowin and 11 others like this.
  27. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

That looks really nice Ken
    Snow is great fun for half an hour when working in it. Soon becomes a right censored of a thing lmao

28. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

I can’t vouch for working in it @Tsunami but even though I’ve experienced snow a million times in my life, some accumulations up to waist deep, I still never get sick of it!

29. Falling_Droplet

A slightly cool day with the temperature a little variable from the late morning to the mid afternoon. The dew point stopped rising in the mid morning and became stable moderately low, then fell slowly from the late morning and became low before stabilising from the mid afternoon. Early tonight the dew point rose slowly before falling slightly later tonight while remaining low.

Moderately low relative humidity during today and has been low tonight. Light WNW to WSW winds in the late morning after N to NW winds in the mid morning, NNW to WSW in the afternoon and WNW to W in the second half of the afternoon. Calm winds during some of the early tonight before W to WSW winds were followed by WNW to W winds.

Last 24 hours:

30. Lani

Lani One of Us

Bit of a whiteout here this morning brrrrrrr, thermometer reading -1.5
    Anyone explain why the rainfall outlooks on BOM’s site are showing ugly brown again each week for the next 3 weeks yet the July outlook still has greens on it. The browns seem to be an anomaly against the text for July as well?

31. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

The 3 week outlooks are generated twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays while the monthly outlooks are only generated once a week on Thursdays @Lani (and therefore use older data).

There’s also the factor of the current 3 week outlooks only going out to mid July so they won’t necessarily show what may happen during the remainder of July which in turn, may or may not change the overall conditions for that month.

Seabreezes, MegaMatch, Flowin and 4 others like this.
  32. Lani

Lani One of Us

I was wondering if they are expecting a wetter end to the month. Thanks Ken. I just hadn’t seen the brown maps for awhile and wondered about it. like your little cabin too.

33. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

I haven’t had a close look yet at whether things are likely to change later next month but one thing that’s happened is that the Indian Ocean Dipole hasn’t played ball up until now so that’s thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

There is still the possibility of ENSO continuing its trend towards La Niña territory, hence the La Niña Watch from the Bureau.

Seabreezes, MegaMatch, Flowin and 4 others like this.
  34. PeteJ

PeteJ One of Us

I almost wrote this a little while ago but thought I had no authority or business to but there is a Climate Driver Thread just to the left that a small handful contributes to. I enjoy the posts, even though they can be a bit, or, a lot technical. (just to add it has been very amiable, my word of the day,and thanks Ken.)
    Cheers

Seabreezes, MegaMatch, Flowin and 5 others like this.
  35. Retired Weather Man

24 JUNE 2020 TIME....0815
    CURRENT TEMPERATURE...12.2C
    CURRENT HUMIDITY........66%
    CURRENT DEW POINT........6C
    CURRENT WIND DIR/SPEED..W 9Kph
    CURRENT PRESSURE..1015.9Hpa
    CURRENT CLOUD......Nil
    RAIN SINCE 0900 TUESDAY..0.0mm
    SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS
    YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........19.2C
    THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......8.3C
    PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-2.30C
    THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......6.1C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.......6C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE....1015.9Hpa
    MAX WIND GUST PAST 24 HOURS.. SW 45Kph at 1227

Seabreezes, PeteJ, whether and 3 others like this.
  36. Falling_Droplet

Ferny Grove Weather
    Date: 24 Jun 2020

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 8.4 C
    Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 19.7 C
    Min Ground Temp: 5.9 C
    Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 15.7 C
    Relative Humidity: 55 %
    Dew Point: 6.3 C
    MSL Pressure: 1018.1 hPa
    Wind Speed: 6 kph - light breeze
    Wind Direction: WNW

Notes of yesterday weather - 23/6/20: Mostly sunny with some cu clouds from later in the morning. In the early hours the temperature was stable or rose at times whilst generally falling. The temperature was a little variable from the late morning to the mid afternoon. The dew point was low and stable in the early hours before rising from the morning moderately low, became stable from the mid morning, then fell slowly from the late morning and became low before stabilising from the mid afternoon. Early in the evening the dew point rose slowly before falling slightly later in the evening while remaining low. Moderately low relative humidity early was a little variable while rising with moderately low daytime relative humidity becoming low in the evening. Light WNW to NW winds during much of the early hours, then N to WNW before light NW to NE winds in the morning, light WNW to WSW winds in the late morning, NNW to WSW in the afternoon and WNW to W in the second half of the afternoon. Calm winds during some of the early evening before W to WSW winds were followed by WNW to W winds.

Today: A slightly cool night with the temperature stable or falling slowly during most of the early hours before falling from 5am through to the minimum temperature early this morning due to a light wind persisting. The dew point very slowly fell in the early hours remaining low before starting to rise this morning. Low overnight relative humidity was generally stable during much of the early hours, rose a little early this morning, before falling and remaining low this morning as the temperature rose. Light WNW to WSW winds in the early hours with some W to SW and N to NW winds at times and some calm winds in the early morning. During this morning winds have been W to NW.

Seabreezes, PeteJ, whether and 3 others like this.
  37. Sandbank

Sandbank One of Us

Pretty solid 10 to 15kn SW making it a crisp morning on the Coast. The dry feel to the air looks like a tell-tale sign of what is ahead this week.

38. Flowin

Flowin One of Us

I haven’t been able to find much interesting to say about the weather lately. Enjoying it but not enthralled.
    Brass monkeys will feel at home though.

39. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Yeah, frost might be more widespread by early Thursday morning but it’s very dependent on the current winds dying down enough by the early morning:

[​IMG]

40. Falling_Droplet

A near average maximum temperature today with the temperature a little variable from the mid morning to the mid afternoon. Tonight the temperature have been stable or rising slowly while generally falling slowly due to persistent wind. The dew point rose during the morning moderately low, slowly rose in the late morning and stabilised in the afternoon. From the mid afternoon the dew point fell slowly becoming low and has been stable tonight. Moderately low daytime relative humidity and also tonight. Light WSW to NW winds in the morning and afternoon, NNW to W winds in the late afternoon and early tonight before WNW to W winds with some NNW to WNW winds during the rest of tonight.

Last 24 hours:

PeteJ, Retired Weather Man and Flowin like this.
  41. MegaMatch

Still nothing on any of the outlook charts.

42. Ken Kato

Ken Kato One of Us

Just for a change LOL

43. MegaMatch

No ECLs, infrequent and nothing-out-of-the-ordinary cold fronts, no NW cloudbands, just clear, bright sunny days with no rain or miserable windy days with either no rain or just enough to wet the cement. Welcome to SEQ winter 2020.

What a disgusting pattern. Just endless ridging up the east coast with deep low pressure crippling the Tasman Sea which means cold, miserable southerlies for us.

44. Retired Weather Man

25 JUNE 2020 TIME....0740
    CURRENT TEMPERATURE....9.9C
    CURRENT HUMIDITY........78%
    CURRENT DEW POINT........6C
    CURRENT WIND DIR/SPEED..W 8Kph
    CURRENT PRESSURE..1019.2Hpa
    CURRENT CLOUD......Nil
    RAIN SINCE 0900 WEDNESDAY..0.0mm
    SUMMARY LAST 24 HOURS
    YESTERDAYS MAX TEMP..........19.8C
    THIS MORNING'S MIN TEMP.......8.0C
    PAST 24 HOURS TEMP ANOMALY..-2.40C
    THIS MORNING'S GRASS MIN......7.6C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR DEW POINT.......7C
    AVERAGE 24 HOUR PRESSURE....1017.1Hpa
    MAX WIND GUST PAST 24 HOURS.. NW 45Kph at 1617

Falling_Droplet and PeteJ like this.
  45. bomber

bomber One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Looking from the 37th floor a line of cloud offshore from about bottom 1/3 of Moreton to 1/2 way down North Stradbroke. Otherwise perfectly clear.

Seabreezes, TrentG, Ken Kato and 2 others like this.
  46. PeteJ

PeteJ One of Us

Petej hates this postLOLLOLLOLLOL

47. Falling_Droplet

Ferny Grove Weather
    Date: 25 Jun 2020

Min Temp since 9am yesterday: 6.3 C
    Max Temp since 9am yesterday: 21 C
    Min Ground Temp: 4.8 C
    Rain since 9am yesterday: 0 mm

Temperature: 16.1 C
    Relative Humidity: 57 %
    Dew Point: 7.5 C
    MSL Pressure: 1019.3 hPa
    Wind Speed: 6 kph - light air
    Wind Direction: NW

Notes of yesterday weather - 24/6/20: Sunny. The temperature was stable or fell slowly during most of the early hours with a persistent breeze before falling from 5am until rising in the morning. The temperature was a little variable from the mid morning to the mid afternoon. In the evening the temperature was cool and was stable or rose slowly while generally falling slowly caused by persistent wind. The dew point fell very slowly in the early hours remaining low before starting to rise during the morning moderately low, slowly rose in the late morning and stabilised in the afternoon. From the mid afternoon the dew point fell slowly becoming low and became stable in the evening. Low relative humidity early was generally stable, rose a little early in the morning, before moderately low daytime and evening relative humidity. Light WNW to WSW winds in the early hours with some W to SW and N to NW winds at times and some calm winds in the early morning. Light WSW to NW winds in the morning and afternoon, NNW to W winds in the late afternoon and in the early evening before WNW to W winds with some NNW to WNW winds during the rest of the evening.

Today: A cool night with the temperature fell slowly or was stable during much of the early hours with a gently breeze present whilst generally falling before rising quickly this morning. The dew point have been low and stable in the early hours before rising this morning moderately low. Near average relative humidity in the early hours before falling quickly this morning moderately low. A light breeze eased but persisted in the early hours with W to SW winds with some W to NW winds, with periods of calm winds. Winds were calm during the rest of the early hours from 4:30am, and this morning winds were initially light S to SW, then followed by calm winds before W to NW winds in the last 15 minutes.

Retired Weather Man likes this.
  48. Itsjustme

Itsjustme Hard Yards

Your'e lost Vinnie, I'm borderline here where is Bundybear?

TrentG and Retired Weather Man like this.
  49. Itsjustme

Itsjustme Hard Yards

3°last night, not happy Jan.

Flowin and Retired Weather Man like this.
  50. Tsunami

Tsunami One of Us

Cooling down fast tonight. Faster than previous 4 nights
    Already only 12c at 5.55pm