Need help with planning Thredbo trip

thredbonoob

First Runs
Mar 31, 2021
G'day guys, first time poster here who could really use some help.

Me and my mates are coming to Thredbo from QLD. We are arriving in Sydney and plan on getting greyhound bus to Sydney.

We are stuck however with what to do in regards to rental gear. We would love to rent from Jindy as it is quite cheap, however unfortunately if we are getting a bus we won't have enough time to get off the bus and get fitted etc.

Is our only option essentially to rent in Thredbo Village? I've looked at the prices and they are insane. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks legends :)
Kelly

Adricat

One of Us
Aug 10, 2011
ACT
Was thinking this but I have heard parking in Thredbo is an absoloute pain.
Nar, not really. Overnight/ multiday is usually easy enough to find, might just take a few laps. Its all in the timing. Don't forget the cost of the National Park pass.

Reactions: nezumi

thredbonoob

First Runs
Mar 31, 2021
Nar, not really. Overnight/ multiday is usually easy enough to find, might just take a few laps. Its all in the timing. Don't forget the cost of the National Park pass.
So we could leave our car parked for a week for free? Is it a pretty dangerous drive? Have had no previous experience driving in the snow (we are going last week of june/first week of July)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
So we could leave our car parked for a week for free? Is it a pretty dangerous drive? Have had no previous experience driving in the snow (we are going last week of june/first week of July)
Have you booked accommodation in village?

thredbonoob

First Runs
Mar 31, 2021
So just to confirm, there is free multi day parking at friday flats? So I can leave the minibus sitting there for 5 days?

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
The Thredbo village is just below the snowline and is quite an easy drive. Just keep an eye out for wildlife on the way up.

If you are going in some weather, eg it's snowing, keep track of road conditions via the NSW live traffic app.

Sometimes you'll need to chain up.

Get gear on the way from Jindy.

So just to confirm, there is free multi day parking at friday flats? So I can leave the minibus sitting there for 5 days?
Yes, but you still need to pay for National Park Entry.

thredbonoob

First Runs
Mar 31, 2021
The Thredbo village is just below the snowline and is quite an easy drive. Just keep an eye out for wildlife on the way up.

If you are going in some weather, eg it's snowing, keep track of road conditions via the NSW live traffic app.

Thanks so much for the info, appreciate it!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just hitching a ride on here- does anyone know if it's possible to hire ntn gear at Thredbo? Planning a trip from Vic late August. Have booked accomm. Don't want to drive to Jindy.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

Me and my mates are coming to Thredbo from QLD. We are arriving in Sydney and plan on getting greyhound bus to Sydney.

We are stuck however with what to do in regards to rental gear. We would love to rent from Jindy as it is quite cheap, however unfortunately if we are getting a bus we won't have enough time to get off the bus and get fitted etc.

Is our only option essentially to rent in Thredbo Village? I've looked at the prices and they are insane. Any advice would be appreciated!

Kelly
So if you get the bus from Sydney then your only option is to rent in Thredbo. Sorry.

There’s not much love for Thredbo generally at the moment and deservedly so.

While border closures/quarantine/snap Qld lockdowns are always a risk you’d think by ski season they’d be much more infrequent.

Enjoy.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Just hitching a ride on here- does anyone know if it's possible to hire ntn gear at Thredbo? Planning a trip from Vic late August. Have booked accomm. Don't want to drive to Jindy.

Not in Thredbo no, Jindy yes.

Reactions: skifree

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

As @telecrag says, Jindy.

What ntn are you looking for? Heavy resort, or tourable tech?

What size are you large ntn or small ntn?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Have not used so would like to try. Outlaw x sounds like the go for mostly resort with touring option (according to the gospel of T Phat, anyway. Oh, Ziggy seems to like them, too.) Large Axls is what I have atm.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Have not used so would like to try. Outlaw x sounds like the go for mostly resort with touring option (according to the gospel of T Phat, anyway. Oh, Ziggy seems to like them, too.) Large Axls is what I have atm.

What boots are you using?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010

as others have said Jindy is the only place to hire tele gear. FWIW at a saving of 130 odd grams I wouldn’t rule out the rottefella bindings as a resort and sometimes bc binding. The one thing they have over the outlaw is the ability to easily switch ski.

I have one binding and a carve, all mountain and touring / powder ski and just switch the binding over.

also a plus if the binding breaks, no need to plug holes etc.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
IMO they are terrible to tour on, though I have done so a lot. That heel piece is a joke too.

Reactions: Telezacski

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Getting way off topic, but I have had several sets of heel pieces start to pop up (into climb) at unfortunate moments. Takes a fair few tours before it happens, but they are an indication of what the binding is made for IMO.

Mine have finally had it I reckon, so am thinking Ill try the Outlaws also.

Reactions: Telezacski

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
What boots are you using?
Scarpa T2 Eco, very happy with fit and function but I understand there have been developments in binding, if not boot technology. Thanks for kind offers, but having been a BB and FC kinda guy ( with occasional excursions to Buller, Hoth, Hakuba and Myoko), I'm hoping to just take it easy and explore. Thinking about booking the bc tour but a friendly local could perhaps provide an alternative pov and experience. Bring on Winter, I say. I am already in trouble at home for planning this trip.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

Doouble check that fact. :ast time I rented a vehicle, the he snowline for rental purposes was classified as the National Park station near Bullocks Flats

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Scarpa T2 Eco, very happy with fit and function but I understand there have been developments in binding, if not boot technology. Thanks for kind offers, but having been a BB and FC kinda guy ( with occasional excursions to Buller, Hoth, Hakuba and Myoko), I'm hoping to just take it easy and explore. Thinking about booking the bc tour but a friendly local could perhaps provide an alternative pov and experience. Bring on Winter, I say. I am already in trouble at home for planning this trip.
I’ll be floating about.

Reactions: chriscross

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Ill be up as much as possible, so good chance I will be around during your visit. Always love catching up with other tele skiers, back in the day we used to collect any we found skiing, sometimes getting ten or more new friends together. Any refusal was met with good natured heckling. I was collected first day I skied by myself on my first ever season pass.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011

Kelly
Hi @thredbonoob
https://www.snowcentral.com.au/pages/rental-hire-rates

Lego

Hard Yards
Sep 12, 2017
Instead of making a new thread, I thought I’d just tack my question on in here.

I’m planning my family Thredbo ski holiday, and I’m wondering about the order of booking accomodation and lift passes.

I’m thinking that I should book the accomodation in Thredbo village, and then when the lift pass sales open, buy the lift passes on the first release day.

Is this the best order?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Yes, accommodation is booking out fast so I would lock that in to make sure you can get what you want.

Ticket sales aren’t selling out, looking at the day passes their is still availability during school holidays which are traditionally two of the busiest weeks.

Reactions: Lego
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass