need schooling on Thredbo.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I had some awesome Dream Runs last winter, widened, groomed, snow made and deserted.

Cranking
173781926_222698142957080_6475995917914547288_n.jpg

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
Crackenback and Woodridge areas usually have private parking, but are more expensive. Cheaper accommodation such as the River Inn is available and in a relatively good location, but no car parking on-site. The overnight parking in Lower Woodridge and Friday Flats isn't too bad or particularly far from anywhere in the village.

Food wise, there is plenty available at both ends of the spectrum on the mountain. Cheap and cheerful bistro style food is available at Friday Flats and Merritts, with Kareela Hutte being a luxury dining experience (and often requires bookings). Eagles Nest and Frostbite Cafe are nice spots to spot for a coffee and snack imo.

In the village many of the lodges have restaurants open to the public in addition to the many village restaurants. Candlelight Lodge and Burger Bar are personal favourites.

The best runs really depend on what you like. For me, nothing beats Franks Face or Exhibition on a clear day. On a powder day, I really like Bushranger and the Bluff. The top to bottom Supertrail (off the Kosciuszko Express) and High Noon (off the Gunbarrel Express) first up when they have been freshly groomed are some awesome runs as well.

It is a good idea to get yourself oriented with the layout of the mountain.

There are two base areas. At Friday Flats, you have the beginners area and the Gunbarrel Express and you are also at the bottom of the High Noon run. Valley Terminal is home to the Kosciuszko Express, Merritts Gondola and Snowgums, which is also the bottom of the Supertrail.

Higher up there are really three distinct parts of the Mountain. Merritts is a largely a lower intermediate area, with groomed green/blue runs accessed by the Cruiser Express and the large terrain park accessed by the Easy Rider T-Bar. Central Spur is an intermediate area with both groomed and ungroomed runs, serviced by the Antons and Sponars T-Bars. The Crackenback side has a large array of intermediate and more advanced terrain off the Kosciuszko and Snowgums Chairs and the Basin and Karels T-Bars.

Hope that helps and you have a great time in Thredbo

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
Food wise, there is plenty available at both ends of the spectrum on the mountain. Cheap and cheerful bistro style food is available at Friday Flats and Merritts, with Kareela Hutte being a luxury dining experience (and often requires bookings). Eagles Nest and Frostbite Cafe are nice spots to spot for a coffee and snack imo.

In the village many of the lodges have restaurants open to the public in addition to the many village restaurants. Candlelight Lodge and Burger Bar are personal favourites.

It would be remiss to mention Black Sallees in on mountain eateries. Good beer, reasonable bistro food and the only independent still on the mountain. Not too mention the owners are great and create a fantastic atmosphere. Food at Eagles Nest is pretty good too.

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
If you are after parking with a charger, that will be limited however there is a Tesla charger available for use near the upper square. From memory maybe two hours parking available there,
No need for a charger, Canberra supercharge to 100% will be plenty for a week, also, Jindy has its own Dc as well. for free.

they have a $200k plus car that they don't want snowboards lent up against.
not quite that expensive, but aluminium panels + skis snowboards are not a good mix. just don't want door dents. and don't want to see 1000 sentry mode videos after a week,

Thredbo is actually a pretty simple resort to get your head around, there's the Gunbarrel side and the Kosi side. On the GB side there's Highnoon and Dream Run to get you back to the bottom. On the Kosi side there's the ST plus variants or Ramshead trails to get you to the bottom. Lift wise there's Merritt linking the two sides of the mountain.

Then there are basically three areas up high, from skiiers left to right Merritts, the central.spur and the Basin.

My typical plan for groomer day is the get a coupe of runs in on ST or Highnoon then head high and try to find some windblown. On a fresh day well, who has friends on a power day. On a wind hold day, pack your skin's. When it's clear snow in the village check the temps at the top station,
Thank you.
River Inn is available and in a relatively good location, but no car parking on-site. The overnight parking in Lower Woodridge and Friday Flats isn't too bad or particularly far from anywhere in the village.
that place seems surprisingly cheap for its location? is it like the Manor budget rooms?

Food wise, there is plenty available at both ends of the spectrum on the mountain. Cheap and cheerful bistro style food is available at Friday Flats and Merritts, with Kareela Hutte being a luxury dining experience
I have been told to keep away from Merrits at lunch due to the roadtrip bus crowds.

Reactions: telecrag
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
No need for a charger, Canberra supercharge to 100% will be plenty for a week, also, Jindy has its own Dc as well. for free.

not quite that expensive, but aluminium panels + skis snowboards are not a good mix. just don't want door dents. and don't want to see 1000 sentry mode videos after a week,

Thank you.

that place seems surprisingly cheap for its location? is it like the Manor budget rooms?

I have been told to keep away from Merrits at lunch due to the roadtrip bus crowds.
River Inn is great if listening to live music and smashed punters from 3:00pm and into the night is your thing. I suspect it’s not your thing.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

Merrits Restaurant gets busy but also has some nice food and on a sunny day the balcony is wonderful.

Also very easy access from Village side now that gondola is in.

Perhaps pick a weekday rather than weekend if worried re crowds.

Reactions: LaNeige

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
For an advanced skier if there is cover the golf course bowl can be fun. Also find yourself a car buddy and do a run out to dead horse gap for the novelty. The run itself isn't more than intermediate level, but navigation can be a little tricky.

Ultra2.0

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 27, 2020
I hope there is 500+ ev's in town every week.

Then what?
by the time there is that many EVs in town, charging would have been sorted, even so, I can leave Canberra full and still make it back there with a week in Thredbo.. not a concern. not topic of this thread, what I would like to know are parking options, so the car won't get damaged, and where the best on-mountain food is, and what accommodation options are like.. seems to be some relatively cheap accom option in the centre of the village, with undercover parking, and a short walk to lifts. skiing level is intermediate-advanced. plenty of good information already here, so thank you all for that.. been studying village and trail maps.

Reactions: LMB and hipo

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
There seems to be fast chargers popping up in strategic places.
Some I know of:
Cooma Discovery Center
Cooma Coles carpark
Jindabyne in the carpark next to the fish and chip shop.

For accommodation in Thredbo the Alpine apartments are hard to beat for location and most apartments have undercover parking. One thing to be aware of - parking in the village is extremely tight. I have actually had cars damaged in my accommodations designated car space as the car spaces are extremely small. Two 4WDs next to each other are likely to have 20cm between them or less (think fold in your mirror and park nose to tail so you can get out). You might actually be better to park up the back corner of P3 where noone else wants to be (next to the river).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Last time I stayed up at Crackers Ridge, I had a garage. Snowy Creek 1 or something, 1 beddy.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
well, that's not encouraging.
Sorry. From my experience if you want a little space around your car I would recommend Alpine apartments (quality of fit out varies from apartment to apartment - check if parking is undercover or outside. 3brm usually have 2 carparks but they are sometimes not side by side, they are one in front of the other) but not Lantern or Lhotsky (great apartments in great spot but parking is tight and not undercover)

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Sorry. From my experience if you want a little space around your car I would recommend Alpine apartments (quality of fit out varies from apartment to apartment - check if parking is undercover or outside. 3brm usually have 2 carparks but they are sometimes not side by side, they are one in front of the other) but not Lantern or Lhotsky (great apartments in great spot but parking is tight and not undercover)

I don’t know any of the Alpine apartments that have side by side parking but yes as you say the three beds either have a tandem or one under and one outside. The outside parks are actually bigger, we have had Silverado’s in ours. Fwiw I have parked there for 20 years and never had a car scratched.

that said we may also have three alternate parks soon for larger vehicles after we reallocate some space through the body Corp. Hopefully also two chargers if I get my way.

p.s I also agree can’t beat the location ;) but I may be biasedLOL.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I should add the other consideration should be gear storage, most places don’t like gear being taken into apartments due to damage gear causes.

the issue many of the places have is old gear racks weren’t designed for modern skis. I know most of our gear only fits in our locker (not all apartments come with lockers). It’s a first world problem but it’s nice to have the gear storage close.

Reactions: Ultra2.0 and Ozgirl

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Do you mean in a ski and board sense or .... ?

Yes gear racks for skis and board but also drying rooms.

We have several wall scars (sliced into gyprock) in one of the bedrooms from sliding snowboards, courtesy of our holiday guests. Couldn't possibly leave in the locked garage with supplied board racks! :rolleyes:

my favourite was turning up to check out the new carpet only to find a big oil stain on the carpet from someone working on their bike.....

Or early on I was sick and tired of replacing plates etc, I figured they were being broken as people walked across the road to the picnic grounds. So I put in a picnic set, that set became the family joke as it was posted back three times by people packing in a rush before it disappeared.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
my favourite was turning up to check out the new carpet only to find a big oil stain on the carpet from someone working on their bike....
OTOH
at Falls, properties trying to attract cyclists realise that they need to provide secure undercover storage (even allow bikes in rooms in some cases) and somewhere for bikes to be worked on.

IIRC the vic tourism marketing brand Ride High Country needs you to provide these to get their accreditation

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I have been known to do the hands in the air wheeee thing :whistle:

Much to my children’s embarrassment LOL
Oooohhhhh I’d love to do that!
Just to embarrass those I was with ha ha
I’ve only ever downloaded the Kosi when the Gondi is on (dinner atop).

Reactions: Alleve

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
OTOH
at Falls, properties trying to attract cyclists realise that they need to provide secure undercover storage (even allow bikes in rooms in some cases) and somewhere for bikes to be worked on.

IIRC the vic tourism marketing brand Ride High Country needs you to provide these to get their accreditation

same with Thredbo, it’s a massive battle and one we are not winning. We have discussed as a body Corp putting in racks in the ski room, but who wants to put a $10,0000 bike there over night. I’m trying to get a bike stand in there as at least then there would be a chance work could be done there.

Reactions: currawong

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
just to make it clear, mid station to the village on the gondola is not downloading, it’s transferring.
It’s saving you a walk back to the village!
In fact, if the choice is walk from FF or get GB up, ski/board to mid station, get mid to village then that’s choosing skiing over walking and is the way it should be done ;)

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
It’s saving you a walk back to the village!
In fact, if the choice is walk from FF or get GB up, ski/board to mid station, get mid to village then that’s choosing skiing over walking and is the way it should be done ;)

this was one thing we really liked last year at the end of the day, stopping at Mid station and then transferring to the village, saves us a bit of walking and the New York subway that is Friday Flat at the end of the day.

to be fair I also like the view of the village from the Gondola

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
this was one thing we really liked last year at the end of the day, stopping at Mid station and then transferring to the village, saves us a bit of walking and the New York subway that is Friday Flat at the end of the day.

to be fair I also like the view of the village from the Gondola
Looooxury!!
I’ve only done it on the old rattler.

LOVED swinging my feet at the end of the day, gazing over the village as we wrapped it up with that download/transfer/peaceful journey to completion.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Ha.
I guess so!

***hands in the air - just don’t care***
The gondola from merrits is better than the Perisher option. During winter the progression is the FV magic Carpet. Over to the Quad to midstation and ski at Happy Valley. If you don't think you can get a guest back down FV you load at the quad midstation and ride to the top, go round the Bull Wheel and back to the bottom of the Quad.

I'm a big fan of Downloading at Thredbo. Ruin yourself on good conditions up top and then enjoy the view on the way down rather suffer the mank on the bottom of the Mountain.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
The gondola from merrits is better than the Perisher option. During winter the progression is the FV magic Carpet. Over to the Quad to midstation and ski at Happy Valley. If you don't think you can get a guest back down FV you load at the quad midstation and ride to the top, go round the Bull Wheel and back to the bottom of the Quad.

I'm a big fan of Downloading at Thredbo. Ruin yourself on good conditions up top and then enjoy the view on the way down rather suffer the mank on the bottom of the Mountain.

true, we noticed the number of skiers / boarders who shouldn’t be on highnoon down last year, will be interesting this year to see if that trend continues.

now they can downlod and catch up with their partner at mid station. I reckon it will save a few relationships.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
same with Thredbo, it’s a massive battle and one we are not winning. We have discussed as a body Corp putting in racks in the ski room, but who wants to put a $10,0000 bike there over night. I’m trying to get a bike stand in there as at least then there would be a chance work could be done there.
even our ski club has some bike hangers, a stand and some tools in the ski room

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
I've downloaded on Kosi (we had someone in our party who got injured in the Basin), Gunbarrel and Merritts, new and old. In 2016, rode Merritts twice a day, every day I was there. With all the stops, I almost spent more time on the Merritts chair than I'd normally spend commuting. Even jumped the fence at the mid once or twice.

Is it possible to download on the Snowgums?

Reactions: dawooduck and hipo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass