need schooling on Thredbo.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
true, we noticed the number of skiers / boarders who shouldn’t be on highnoon down last year, will be interesting this year to see if that trend continues.

now they can downlod and catch up with their partner at mid station. I reckon it will save a few relationships.
It’s not a normal season if I haven’t picked up a crying or close to it human and coached them down the steeper sections of HN, or indeed carried their equipment and boarded slowly behind them as a barrier while they boot pack down at the side of the run. Too many see “blue” and think Merritts - nahhh ahhh!!! :nono:

Reactions: crackson and Alleve

LaNeige

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 20, 2010
Vic
I've downloaded on Kosi (we had someone in our party who got injured in the Basin), Gunbarrel and Merritts, new and old. In 2016, rode Merritts twice a day, every day I was there. With all the stops, I almost spent more time on the Merritts chair than I'd normally spend commuting. Even jumped the fence at the mid once or twice.

Is it possible to download on the Snowgums?

Yes

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
It’s not a normal season if I haven’t picked up a crying or close to it human and coached them down the steeper sections of HN, or indeed carried their equipment and boarded slowly behind them as a barrier while they boot pack down at the side of the run. Too many see “blue” and think Merritts - nahhh ahhh!!! :nono:
It’s a bit misleading when they grade Ballroom the same as High Noon

or is it rank? Name? You know what I mean.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
It’s a bit misleading when they grade Ballroom the same as High Noon

or is it rank? Name? You know what I mean.
A long time ago Thredbo graded runs within a particular area of the resort. A blue run at Merrits was not the same as a blue run on Crackenback. It was downright dangerous.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Summer trips. Have never downloaded in winter.

If I have skied had all day ie: first lifts, and find myself heading toward the top of high noon late arvo when its icing up, I would nearly always choose to download Gunbarrel. Not just because I might crash myself, but late arvo on that run is sketchy to say the least.

Re: Bike (or gear more generally) inside apts, every time I have travelled to the US no one seems stressed about ski boots / skis inside the lodge, but over here, its such a big deal. Never figured that out.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Ive downloaded for various reasons on Crackenback, Gunbarrell, Snowgums, and the old Merritts chairs.

Have also raced people down, them on the chair. Its easy as in winter and you beat them, but not so easy on the mtb.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Ive downloaded for various reasons on Crackenback, Gunbarrell, Snowgums, and the old Merritts chairs.

Have also raced people down, them on the chair. Its easy as in winter and you beat them, but not so easy on the mtb.
I've downloaded on every chair. Either due to lack of snow or convenience. Even the old Ramshead and Crackenback chairs.

Reactions: Alleve
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skull

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I love high noon. Screamer of a run in any conditions.
I have had some pearler runs down HN when lucky enough to get up on one of the first chairs. Head up scream down on fresh groomed track then back up to head off somewhere else or even get another pearler HN run in.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Love it when most of the hill is shut, and you figure eight your own tracks second run, was worth the bus and Slogums ride, and traverse.......

Had a similar run once with @chicski after we gave up for the day on the T's.

FullSizeRender 17.jpg

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Luxury Escape
I guess there’s a market for it
I'm just not interested if it doesn't include collecting me from home and delivering me at the end of the day.

As a side note, I was at Williamtown a week or so ago. As well as the usual F-35s there were a few Lear jets taking off and landing. One of the volunteers at Fighterworld (who seemed to know what he was talking about) said that the Lear jets were performing some sort of target role for the F-35s. Personally, I think that training our pilots to shoot down Lear jets is a perfectly reasonable use of taxpayers' funds.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I think that training our pilots to shoot down Lear jets is a perfectly reasonable use of taxpayers' funds.
Surely it would be more sporting to shoot down Lear Jets with other Lear Jets, with military power, of course.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
On the general topic of schooling on Thredbo, I will be there from the 1st to the 8th of August - if anyone wants an upper-intermediate snowboarder to ride with / show around that'd be great.

Otherwise, has there been any word on whether or not the Mountain Guides will run this year?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
I'm just not interested if it doesn't include collecting me from home and delivering me at the end of the day.

As a side note, I was at Williamtown a week or so ago. As well as the usual F-35s there were a few Lear jets taking off and landing. One of the volunteers at Fighterworld (who seemed to know what he was talking about) said that the Lear jets were performing some sort of target role for the F-35s. Personally, I think that training our pilots to shoot down Lear jets is a perfectly reasonable use of taxpayers' funds.

maybe they are prepping for the millionaire Aussie cricketer’s trying to flee India on Lear jets and illegally trying to get back into Australia

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Wow, that was a trip down memory lane. Joe and Louise split up years ago! Linda is a good friend of mine from vic too.
We were still actually living in Thredbo then, although I was in Melbs studying most of that year.

Reactions: Alleve and Donza

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
after skiing at Perisher for the last 30 years, (board rider) and a break of 2 years (thanx covid), now its time to make a change, and look at riding at Thredbo for the first time,
basically, pros and cons of accommodation locations. must have car parking.
seen cheap rooms a the southern end in cabins, but doesn't seam to have parking,
lots of places at the northern end have garages but have more $$, .
food availability? i am assuming not an issue with the village restaurants. but during the day on the mountain etc
Best runs for a good mix of the Thredbo experience..
yeah, i know, tough questions with huge range of answers.

Hi @Ultra2.0!

I’ve stayed at an Airbnb at Squatters Run apartments that came with a very spacious designated undercover car park. Would have booked it again this year but it was already booked out for our dates.
I’ve rebooked the Alpine Hotel and though their carpark doesn’t have guaranteed parks you can pretty much always get one, and some are fairly safe (though some are tightly packed) and its location is super convenient.
I can also recommended Alpine Apartments too.

In terms of meals on the mountain, make sure you book Kareela Hutte for a long lunch, it’s a lovely experience and they have a great wine list.
Black Sallees is great for a snack/cafeteria fast food style options and a beer/schnapps or hot choc.
Merritt’s has be best quick fresher/healthier options on the mountain (items like poke bowls, sandwiches juices etc) as well as the usual unhealthy stuff, and if you ski early you can do an early lunch there and get in and out before the crowds.
Eagles Nest has a great view and lands somewhere between Merritts and Kareela in terms of experience - happy medium.
River Inn is great for live music, big cheap beers and a party vibe, but I wouldn’t recommend eating there.
If you decide to head into the village for lunch, Cascades makes a nice long lunch spot, and the Bakery and Central Road (if open) are great for quicker feeds.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Hi @Ultra2.0!

I’ve stayed at an Airbnb at Squatters Run apartments that came with a very spacious designated undercover car park. Would have booked it again this year but it was already booked out for our dates.
I’ve rebooked the Alpine Hotel and though their carpark doesn’t have guaranteed parks you can pretty much always get one, and some are fairly safe (though some are tightly packed) and its location is super convenient.
I can also recommended Alpine Apartments too.

In terms of meals on the mountain, make sure you book Kareela Hutte for a long lunch, it’s a lovely experience and they have a great wine list.
Black Sallees is great for a snack/cafeteria fast food style options and a beer/schnapps or hot choc.
Merritt’s has be best quick fresher/healthier options on the mountain (items like poke bowls, sandwiches juices etc) as well as the usual unhealthy stuff, and if you ski early you can do an early lunch there and get in and out before the crowds.
Eagles Nest has a great view and lands somewhere between Merritts and Kareela in terms of experience - happy medium.
River Inn is great for live music, big cheap beers and a party vibe, but I wouldn’t recommend eating there.
If you decide to head into the village for lunch, Cascades makes a nice long lunch spot, and the Bakery and Central Road (if open) are great for quicker feeds.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
I’m not seeking to be “disagreeable”, but my experience of Kareela Hutte is atypical of the much praised joint. I think it’s much declined from what it was before. It’s changed, in my view, from a place where food was the central feature and people quite often incidentally drank quite a lot, to a beer barn where the food is a pretext to the real purpose of the visit, which is to get stonkingly drunk.

I don’t suggest that of any one person and certainly not this poster. People still go there for the primary purpose of nice food and wine. But in my experience they’re a quiet minority.

I have much preferred Eagles Nest these past years.

AJS

One of Us
Jul 28, 2014
I’m not seeking to be “disagreeable”, but my experience of Kareela Hutte is atypical of the much praised joint. I think it’s much declined from what it was before. It’s changed, in my view, from a place where food was the central feature and people quite often incidentally drank quite a lot, to a beer barn where the food is a pretext to the real purpose of the visit, which is to get stonkingly drunk.

I don’t suggest that of any one person and certainly not this poster. People still go there for the primary purpose of nice food and wine. But in my experience they’re a quiet minority.

Fair enough, I have certainly seen some of that! I appreciate it for the fact I can get a lovely bottle of wine in decent glassware with nice service, but the past few years I’ve dined there has been breaky, brunch and early lunches, so probably a lot lower key than the 2pm-4pm slot LOL

Townsend

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2014
Kareela was pretty good last year. The numbers were reasonable, and bookings were made in time slots, which meant that most people had a pleasant lunch, and then left. Hope the same system is implemented this year.

Sure there was the odd afternoon of debauchery.....!

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

It's less fun watching people leave Eagles nest.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using