News New Blue Bullet

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Dave Clark, Aug 9, 2018 at 7:26 PM.

1. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Hard Yards

6-seater detachable to be installed over summer. Will be (kind of) sad to see old blue bullet go. What a workehorse!

Press release:

Mt Buller skiers and snowboarders will enjoy a new, faster ride up Bourke Street next winter with the exciting announcement of a $6 million, 6-seater high-speed chairlift for season 2019.

The new lift replaces the legendary Blue Bullet quad chairlift with an upgrade to a larger and faster 6-seater. This means less time waiting in lines and more time on the snow for Mt Buller skiers and boarders.

“In 1983 Blue Bullet 1 & 2 were the first high-speed detachable quad chairlifts in the world. Local skiers and boarders will be a little sad to see Blue Bullet go as it’s been a big part of our mountain, but after moving a staggering 500,000 guests every winter - that’s 17 million passengers in its 34 year lifetime – we think it’s time to retire. There isn’t another chairlift in Victoria that has carried more passengers.”

[​IMG]

This will be the fourth new chairlift added to the network at Mt Buller since 2005.

Froff Life, Bogong, LiveToSki and 3 others like this.
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

:woohoo:

Any differences in alignment?

Jellybeans1000 likes this.
  3. Timmossy

Timmossy Hard Yards

Good on BSL for still investing. This lift doesn’t benefit the ski bum as they steer clear of this area but still, better than nothing.

Hi speed on Wombat would be delicious. Maybe next cab off the rank.

MickM and rime noreason like this.
  4. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Hard Yards

Not really. Fewer towers though.

CarveMan likes this.
  5. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Will the old chair be reused by another resort perhaps ?

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not a chance. Because it was the first detachable in the world it was essentially a prototype and there are no spare parts, when they pulled out BB2 they salvaged a bunch of parts to keep BB1 going.

Dave Clark likes this.
  7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I remember the old double chair that BB1 replaced

How will bourke st handle the added capacity of a 6 seater?

GS likes this.
  8. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

That’s great news.

9. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

The important part is the design of the load station in my opinion, it is not great at the moment and the benched area is not expansive

10. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Thanks

Do you recall where the chair from BB went ?

11. Alexg1687

Alexg1687 First Runs

Will the building integrate the snow factory?

12. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

It's as much an access chair - at the top you can turn left on to Bull Run or right on to Shakey Knees. Plenty of people start their day there so the 50% capacity increase will be welcomed - it can be a bit of a shitfight down there, I've managed to not ride it yet this season which is a bonus.

currawong likes this.
  13. currawong

Ski Pass - Gold

Most of my buller skiing days involved the orange pomas, to baldy and summit access. Had to walk up to helicopter flat if you were skiing orange.The very first weekend we were doing single ride tickets on the old blue chair, as well as the poma. Once I was buying day tickets, didn't have much to do with blue

DbSki and CarveMan like this.
  14. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Well it isn't quite the oldest surviving detachable quad, there are a few still operating in Europe that are a year older.

Any news on who will be supplying the new six pack? I'll be a little disappointed if Buller sticks with their brand loyalty to Dopp when Poma and other companies are producing some rather good stuff at competitive prices.

#14 Bogong, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    skiflat and currawong like this.
  15. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Hard Yards

I’m pretty sure it’s the equal oldest detach quad. There are some older detach triples in Europe though.

16. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

Well done Buller on another new lift

Massive visitor numbers this year help

Hopefully this is a Doppel lift as the new Poma ar falls is a joke

TOFF likes this.
  17. currawong

Ski Pass - Gold

agree that the new falls lift has been dreadful but IF the problem is icing up sensors, can you be confident that a doppel won't have similar issues?

hopefully something can be retrofitted to address the problem

skiflat likes this.
  18. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I remember hearing a story that when Doppelmayr engineers came out from Austria to check out Buller they were blown away by the rime we experience here, it's nothing like they see anywhere else in the world, and the conditions put more wear and tear on lifts than anywhere else. No idea about Poma's experience here but it would seem that Doppelmayr know how to cater for it.

currawong likes this.
  19. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I'm not that surprised to read that. Just think about how infrequently lifts go on windhold in the US (well Utah and Colorado) compared to here. Deicing as well.

currawong likes this.
  20. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

NZ conditions are tough on lift infrastructure too.

21. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I bet. My story was from 30 or 40 years ago, NZ might not have had chairlifts by then.

22. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

The best places still don’t.

Telemark Phat, Bogong and CarveMan like this.
  23. Bogong

Ski Pass - Gold

That story dates from over 50 years ago. The story is that the Doppelmayr patriarch had built up a very successful surface lift company aided by their development of the best spring box for T-bars in the world at the time. But he was wary about chairlifts and suspected they were just an expensive passing fad.

So the younger generation of the Dopplemayr family quietly accepted an order for a double chairlift from Blue Lifts at Buller and discreetly had it built, figuring that building a lift for a place as far as you could get from Austria wouldn't get them in too much trouble if it wasn't a success. So that's how the first ever Doppelmayr double chairlift was built at Mt Buller. However in it's first winter (1964), there were difficulties with the build up of rime on the new Dopp chairlift and employees at the company thought Blue Lifts were being overly precious until they received photos in the mail of heavy ice on their new lift. Perhaps surprisingly, they sent engineers out to Australia to analyse the problem during the next Australian winter, probably because they wanted to get their chairlift design right, in the same way they spent so much time and money developing the best spring box for T-bars.

This is in stark contrast to the Swiss lift maker Mueller, whose 1958 Crackenback chairlift at Thredbo was riddled with problems including icing up and more alarmingly, the cable derailing from the sheaves and dumping passengers in the snow on a few occasions. They didn't send out engineers and eventually much of the original Crackenback double chair had to rebuilt with components from the American lift company Riblet. No more Muellers were ever sold in Australia after 1961.

Anyway, Dopp's example of high end customer service at Buller is supposed to have gained them a very favourable reputation in the industry, leading to them becoming one of the two dominant ski lift and ropeway companies in the world today. Mueller wasn't as successful and closed down circa 1990.

ians 158, mx_boarder, Tanuki and 7 others like this.
  24. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

:thumbs:

25. djam

djam One of Us

Hans told me some years ago, he ended up sending them a Film, to show the level of ice, as stated above, they had no idea how bad the ice is was here. Get well soon, Hans.:emoji_snowflake:

currawong and Bogong like this.
  26. Bogong

Ski Pass - Gold

I've put that version together through a combination of plenty of hard facts and a fair bit of hearsay, but I'm pretty confident it's as accurate as anyone will ever get. But thanks for the correction that it wasn't photos but a film that Hans and/or Blue Lifts posted to Doppelmayr. If somone reading this is close to Hans or anyone else who was around at the time, I'd be grateful to hear how accurate my summary of the story is so I can record the best version for posterity.
    (I'm working on a short book or possibly a video on notable Australian ski lifts to be released many years in the future.)

mx_boarder, Tanuki, Jacko4650 and 3 others like this.
  27. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

The old Baldy chair towers had channel cross beam up top that filled up with ice creating and ice dome on top of the beam so when you climbed up to de-ice you couldn't reach out and belt the pulleys.

28. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

Confirmed on Twitter that it's a Doppelmayr chair

:)

mx_boarder, Bogong and CarveMan like this.
  29. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Hard Yards

:emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

CarveMan likes this.
  30. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Would have been super surprised if it wasn't.

The only Poma chair at Buller is Howqua - it was essentially a freebie as Poma tried to move in on Doppelmayr but it's also a bit of a franken-chair - the bullwheel is only the width of a triple not a quad which is why the chairs tear around....

Looking forward to Grimus replacement which will be the next new chair.

Tanuki likes this.
  31. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

LOL

32. Alfred14

Alfred14 Hard Yards

Always surprises me how loud it is at the bottom load from the diesel engine, surely every lifty hates getting rostered on down there.

mx_boarder and CarveMan like this.
  33. kiter

kiter Hard Yards

Can someone let Perisher know about the old lift . They could replace the old Mt p double with it . Ill go high speed detachable quad 1980s tech over 1950's fixed grip slowest lift in the world tech any day. Im sure most perisher riders would agree it might be sad for Buller faithful to say goodbye but we'd be happy to take it off your hands

climberman likes this.
  34. Max2000

Max2000 First Runs

I’d imagine the chair would be very costly to maintain as it was essentially a prototype. Don’t think Perisher would want it:(

35. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

Unlike the Perisher double LOL

36. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I imagine the BB towers and chairs will join numerous other past lifts in the boneyard. Will check it out over summer.

Still hoping for a late spring slide, but otherwise, looks like I had my last ride on the old girl earlier last season.

37. djam

djam One of Us

Re the first high speed detachable quad chairlift.... seems there has always been some confusion about that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breckenridge_Ski_Resort

Breckenridge installed the world's first high speed detachable quad chairlift, the Quicksilver Quad, running from the Village base area to near the bottom of Lift B. The lift was constructed by Doppelmayr.[1]

Bogong likes this.
  38. MickM

MickM One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Would rather a chair from top of Summit to below current Howqua but good to see!!

39. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Agree

40. Timmossy

Timmossy Hard Yards

A few places on the internet support this. The lift has been relocated to Owl's Head in Canada and is still on their trail map today as the Lake Chair.

Crazy top station how the haul rope counterweight is completely outside the station itself.

Bogong likes this.
  41. 2ndeffort

2ndeffort Hard Yards

Avoid the thing like the plague but practically I suppose most Buller visitors are beginners or people trying out skiing/boarding. Most of them wouldn't venture much further afield so hauling them up and down the mountain is probably very important. Shouldnt give away my secrets but i just stay on the bus from the lodge until it gets to the Arlberg, bomb down Shakey then work my way across the North Side to the Grimus lift!