News New Blue Bullet

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
Actually CM, having just come from the Buller Labor Day w/e bike event, I reckon a Mirimbah/Village/Spurs gondolas isn't so radical - although the cost may be!

A decent gondola lag would be better than the fleet of smoky busses the contractor was running over the weekend - not much fun to breathe as one cycled up the road.

I had to smile that there were warnings of oil on the tourist road on a hairpin above the skating rink - it 'would' be ironic if it was proved that one these same smoky sag wagons dropped the oil, making it dangerous for road cyclists??

Oh to have a cool 20 or 30 mill sitting unloved for a rainy (smoky) day?
It wasnt one of those smokey buses who dropped the oil. !!!!

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Actually CM, having just come from the Buller Labor Day w/e bike event, I reckon a Mirimbah/Village/Spurs gondolas isn't so radical - although the cost may be!

A decent gondola lag would be better than the fleet of smoky busses the contractor was running over the weekend - not much fun to breathe as one cycled up the road.

I had to smile that there were warnings of oil on the tourist road on a hairpin above the skating rink - it 'would' be ironic if it was proved that one these same smoky sag wagons dropped the oil, making it dangerous for road cyclists??

Oh to have a cool 20 or 30 mill sitting unloved for a rainy (smoky) day?
Yeah I reckon that would be a summer MTB game-changer. Though probably a disincentive for MTB-ers to stay in the village.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It wasnt one of those smokey buses who dropped the oil. !!!!

I'd love to know who then - it could've been worse but wasn't great in a few spots.

I stand by the comment about the extremely smokey bus or buses though. I don't think it's a good look for the resort but maybe I'm just expect too much of a sport in its infancy?

But I observe that not all diesel motors emit dark black plumes in 2019. l:-/

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
If they had a Gondola to the bottom and a few trails to suit all levels total game changer for summer and winter snow play.
Then may be take one of the unused cats that are decked out with seating and run from tele junction up to the top of sterling for the back country crew.

Reactions: CarveMan

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Hell I have plenty of ideas I wish they would do,
I still want a early pre lifts skimo race series (amateur as hell normal touring gear) with a tailgate BBQ breakfast after then swap to the alpine set up and head out for the day.
May be switch it up with a similar XC series.
But this is probably best for another thread.

Madski

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2002
Ooo - ouch! Dave.
That would want to be quite a good business case then?
Just think of the savings..

Cost of running buses
Road maintenance

And Buller will be only 2 hours 40 minutes from melbourne.

In my view RMB (current business and site holders), BSL and the government should pay for it.

It would make Buller a true all season resort.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Just a few problems with that.
  • The $40 million building cost has to be paid for, so the gondola fee would need to be high
  • You can't close the road because gondolas are the wrong type of vehicle to carry luggage for overnight visitors and freight to keep the resort running like food.
  • So it's not suitable for overnight visitors, but many day visitors would use the road if confronted with a high gondola fee, so usage would be rather limited.
  • Gondolas typically move at well under 20 kmh, with extra load and unload times compared to driving straight through in a car. So they wouldn't be faster than than the current route up the bendy road.
I'm this forums biggest ski lift fan, but I can't see a gondola being viable in any way. An aerial tram would have similar problems, plus a half hour wait between departing cabins.

A rack railway might be viable if the builders weren't overly concerned with a good return on their investment, but sorry a gondola is a wonderful dream, but in reality, totally impractical.

(But I have a faint hope that they build it and prove me wrong.)

Reactions: skiflat and Chaeron

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
For Horse Hill, I'd say you would be in for $15 million.

Along with what Bogong listed, the running cost of a 10km long lift would be massive.

And there is also the cost of the huge carpark at the base to construct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogong

Dr_S

Addicted
Jun 11, 2010
Mt Eliza, Vic
How about some mid-sized low-floor hybrid buses with regen braking? Just run a few of them between the gate and HH. You'd get most of the benefits of the Gondola without the massive capital outlay

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Just a few problems with that.
  • The $40 million building cost has to be paid for, so the gondola fee would need to be high
  • You can't close the road because gondolas are the wrong type of vehicle to carry luggage for overnight visitors and freight to keep the resort running like food.
  • So it's not suitable for overnight visitors, but many day visitors would use the road if confronted with a high gondola fee, so usage would be rather limited.
  • Gondolas typically move at well under 20 kmh, with extra load and unload times compared to driving straight through in a car. So they wouldn't be faster than than the current route up the bendy road.
I'm this forums biggest ski lift fan, but I can't see a gondola being viable in any way. An aerial tram would have similar problems, plus a half hour wait between departing cabins.

A rack railway might be viable if the builders weren't overly concerned with a good return on their investment, but sorry a gondola is a wonderful dream, but in reality, totally impractical.

(But I have a faint hope that they build it and prove me wrong.)
Yeah yeah yeah whatever. Have you seen how freaking cool a 3S Gondola is!

I'm going to ride a bicable Funispace lift at Verbier tomorrow - very cool but not at 3S standard.

Whatever really

Addicted
Sep 21, 2017
Blackcomb is 4.1km and moves 4000 per hour(from what I read),
That’s pretty bloody good
Would save money on car park expansion, an aging bus fleet,increase summer activities and be an attraction on its own but $40m is a huge outlay and more importantly really bumps the total value of Buller up into a price bracket that may mean it’s over capitalized and in able to re sell in the future.

Reactions: Chaeron

wolly

One of Us
May 29, 2002
near the snow
20190331_111229.jpg
the Lego set is arriving

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Blackcomb is 4.1km and moves 4000 per hour(from what I read),
That’s pretty bloody good
Would save money on car park expansion, an aging bus fleet,increase summer activities and be an attraction on its own but $40m is a huge outlay and more importantly really bumps the total value of Buller up into a price bracket that may mean it’s over capitalized and in able to re sell in the future.

I guess Blackcomb has the numbers to expensive but suitable high tech solutions.

In Australia, even in major cities with decent nos, we tend to go for short-sighted, cut-down (cheap & nasty) transport solutions almost every single time. Then a few years down the track we look at each other with upturned palms, shrug and wonder why we didn't build high-tech infrastructure that would last the longer term. Perhaps even be cheaper or similar cost over the useable life - possibly with fewer emissions and less footprint & environmental damage.

But then again - this IS 'clever' (lucky) Australia!!!

Reactions: Whatever really

Alexg1687

Hard Yards
Jul 22, 2018
Why does it have those annoying foot rests that sit between your legs?

Are that many kids really falling under conventional bars?

First world problems, I know. Happy it’s been replaced but just a question.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Bring back the Bourke St Pomas...
Triple Pomas on upper Bourke Street when I was a kid made it my sort of mountain. Throw in Skyline T-bar and Baldy double chair and there were five lifts running parallel with each other.

And don't forget that for a few years when they were insane enough to crank Summit Access / Howqua Poma up to 6½ metres a second, it was the fastest ski lift in the world. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sadly running it at three times the speed of a T-bar led to more than a little carnage, so it was subsequently slowed down to a boringly 'sensible' speed. :(

ski+lift+Buller+pomas+Victorian+places+M0395.jpg

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
A final bit of BB1 trivia that wasn't mentioned earlier. The chairs are not the only part that will live on, the bullwheels have found a new home on a private chairlift near Albury. It will be the first chairlift with over 90% Australian components since both of the Australian chairlift makers closed down over 40 years ago.

If (or when) they replace Grimus, I hope that someone in the Buller marketing department like @Dave Clark has the time to record the whole process on video, it would be great record of how lifts are installed and be an enduring promotion for Buller. This video of Mt Batchelor's newish chairlift would be a good template. (Yes it's in America, but the video has a few Australians, including the resort manager.)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
A final bit of BB1 trivia that wasn't mentioned earlier. The chairs are not the only part that will live on, the bullwheels have found a new home on a private chairlift near Albury. It will be the first chairlift with over 90% Australian components since both of the Australian chairlift makers closed down over 40 years ago.

If (or when) they replace Grimus, I hope that someone in the Buller marketing department like @Dave Clark has the time to record the whole process on video, it would be great record of how lifts are installed and be an enduring promotion for Buller. This video of Mt Batchelor's newish chairlift would be a good template. (Yes it's in America, but the video has a few Australians, including the resort manager.)

Any more info on that albury chair?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Any more info on that albury chair?
It's being built by the co-owner of an engineering and fabrication company who spent a lot of time at Falls Creek in the past. The hill rarely sees snow, but the owner really likes chairlifts and sees building one as an interesting challenge.

He's not hiding the fact (it's hard to hide an application for planning permission, an article in the local rag or a whopping great chairlift on a hill), but nor does he want people rocking up to his property for a gawk or his family being bothered about it. If people are really interested it shouldn't be too hard to find the details.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
It's being built by the co-owner of an engineering and fabrication company who spent a lot of time at Falls Creek in the past. The hill rarely sees snow, but the owner really likes chairlifts and sees building one as an interesting challenge.

He's not hiding the fact (it's hard to hide an application for planning permission, an article in the local rag or a whopping great chairlift on a hill), but nor does he want people rocking up to his property for a gawk or his family being bothered about it. If people are really interested it shouldn't be too hard to find the details.
i can guess who it is from that description :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass