1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

New boots, forward pressure/sole length help

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zarik, Jan 4, 2020.

1. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

I bought a new pair of boots last summer(FT). Up till this weekends I was skiing on my old Rossys that had demo bindings on them that was easily adjusted to new boot length(previous boots were Nordica and one size larger)

Today I looked at my other skis(since we are getting nice snow now) mounted with Warden MNC13, after adjusting bindings the forward pressure screw that also sets the sole length is right on edge of allowed area when set flush as required, maybe just out

Is this ok?

If it was out of area I would get them remounted but it is just in the border. I don’t care about center moving a bit

2. Panpanace

Panpanace Hard Yards

@zarik I have the exact same problem, I had my bindings adjusted at a ski shop while in Japan after buying new boots which are a size smaller and ski them for 2 weeks with no issue. When I got home I noticed that the heel part is right on the edge of the adjusting track ( bindings are fixed Market Squire). I didn’t have a bad fall while skiing and bindings never had to release. I am now a bit worried that it’s not safe, I live in Perth so I can’t get them checked at a local shop, anyone out there can tell us if it’s OK or do we need a remount?
    Cheers.

3. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Give them a good whack with your palm towards the tip of the ski.
    If it doesn’t release it is fine as the teeth are engaged to the track.
    If the teeth are not engaged the squire heel price slides off quite easily with just a slight bit of force.
    If you skied them with no issues I’d say they are fine. The forces of even skiing moderately would have resulted in a release of the binding wasn’t set correctly.
    Also the tech’s at the shop should not have signed off on the din without checking all this.

4. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Wardens will literally just slide off the track once the teeth has disengaged with the base plate track.
    As long as the heel piece is in the correct position when the boot is clicked in and the forward pressure screw is flush with the housing. Give it a good whack with your palm or even a rubber mallet if you have one, if it doesn’t slide off then your sweet.

zarik likes this.
  5. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

Thank you, I am guessing it is fine since I skied 2 days on it. But was a bit scared.. thank you for confirming it is ok

Chowder11 likes this.
  6. Panpanace

Panpanace Hard Yards

Thanks @Chowder11, the guy at the shop had the 2 bindings adjusted in less than 30 seconds...didn't even check the DIN, not very thorough.
    That's the thing if I push hard toward the tip the heel piece slide off, and I have just skied for 2 weeks like that not knowing.
    If I adjust the screw backwards a bit the heel piece stays in but the forward pressure screw sticks out a bit when the boot is in the bindings. If I adjust the screw flush as it should be then the heel piece slides out if push it hard towards the heel.
    I am in Perth so can't go to a ski shop but do you think it's fine or will I need them re-drilled next time I go skiing? Thanks.