1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed New driving to thredbo help

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Swan Valkyrie, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Hi All,

It will be the first time going to thredbo hopefully this winter. I was initially going to stay in Jindy and get a bus shuttle from there to thredbo. But now i’m considering driving but worried about driving conditions.

I’ve been googling up for a few months based on methods and general conditions but I was hoping to get further answers.

I’ve got a Subaru Impreza RS 2010. Its an AWD, manual. I don’t like driving up hills normally because of stopping and rolling back slightly so I try and avoid. I’m also not confident driving in snow/icy roads (never done it)

- Would it be better to hire an Auto? if yes, do you need to use the gears option going down the hill if it’s icy?
    - I’m aware snow chains need to be carried but not normally required. I’m afraid that even after being shown by someone at servo I won’t be able to put them on properly. What is the risk ratio of needing chains to thredbo in late July?
    - Do you need chains to Jindy?
    - Is it easier to stay in Jindy and catch a shuttle or is it super expensive?
    - Im driving with 2 others but only I have the manual license, only other car is 2WD thats auto and would need chains... should we just take this or hire? Again worried if snowy conditions would need to slow down using gears right on icy hill? (We have never used gears on auto but ive seen its possible?)
    - was hoping to stay somewhere in thredbo for ski in ski out and not have to worry about catching shuttle each day, but thats not deal breaker if shuttles were cheap
    - if we stay on mountain can we hire gear from there? Many sites say hire from jindy first
    - is the hill extremely steep to thredbo? Is it like going from queenstown to remarkables/coronet steep? Or windy? (Scares me a little haha)

Worried about getting lift passes this year and im sure a few people would be also. Don't really want to book accomodation until I know I can get a pass. Hard to get free cancellation on the mountain.

any advice would be appreciated. I would rather be over prepared than under, and while im a confident driver I get panicky in the rain (or dry) being in a steep hill in my manual and someone behind me - given this Id really want an easier option (eg hire auto maybe).

Thank you for your time and advice!!
    (If it wasnt for covid i’d be doing NZ and catching shuttle :( seems so much easier/cheaper)

2. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Do not worry, you should be fine in this.

3. Donzah

Donzah Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse. Ski Pass: Gold

Not many better cars in the snow IMO.
    Of course usual tyres and skill disclaimers .

Alleve, LMB, Jasper Schwarz and 3 others like this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

There is no bus shuttle.

Driving to Thredbo is easy. It is a gradual climb - only a couple of steepish hills.

Thredbo village is below the natural snowline. Chains are only required on a few occasions (and it is good news when they are). You are not required to carry chains on the drive to Thredbo but it is a good idea for, as we say, more abundant caution.

Alleve, piolet, Swan Valkyrie and 4 others like this.
  5. skifree

Very unlikely.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  6. skifree

7. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's nowhere near as bad as this! I was super scared on the bus in NZ, and I'm a nervous driver, but I find driving to Thredbo fine. On snowy days I can be nervous going to Perisher, but going to Thredbo it is less exposed so less windy even if it is snowing. Just take it slow, fit chains when directed, and don't ride your brakes down the hill :)

8. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It is true that you are not required to carry chains to drive to Thredbo, but if its snowy they set up at the chain bays, and can direct you to fit them, and if you don't have them, turn you around. However AWD are exempt anyway. Its an easy drive, easier than Perisher as its lower (less flat, measuring top to bottom, haha), and nothing at all like NZ.

Alleve, LMB, crackson and 1 other person like this.
  9. J_busworth

J_busworth One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The shuttle is super expensive from memory, around $60 per person per day.

The drive through to Thredbo is easy. Don't ride your brakes on the downhill side of the Penderlea hill (use your gears instead!) and you'll be fine

10. Interruptedbyfireworks

Chains aren't too hard to fit once you practise a bit with them. My first time hiring them I hired them a day early (from Canberra, pretty cheap getting them from here) so I could practise doing them on my car the night before with gloves on. Once you get the hang of it they are pretty intuitive.

Swan Valkyrie and Ted Harper like this.
  11. sastrugi

sastrugi Beyond the yoga zone Ski Pass: Gold

But you are required to carry them if driving to Thredbo.

12. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Technically only if going past Thredbo, but as I said, if directed you may be turned back.

13. Jonathan_P

Jonathan_P One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Most likely chains will not be required, though I did manage to get my car stuck at the ski tube for a couple of days in 2019:whistle:

nezumi and Swan Valkyrie like this.
  14. chicski

chicski Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Nope.

Ozgirl and Jonathan_P like this.
  15. Donzah

No. You're not.
    DHG and beyond. For sure.

16. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Thanks for this! So much easier driving to thredbo hmm. What is it like driving down the hill if its icy? Like dont most people ride breaks technically going down a hill? I guess just have in high gear and only go like 20km per hour? I really really dont like hills :(

What would you need to do if you have an auto? Just use the standard automatic gear system and just break... roll...... break... roll lol?

17. ski

ski Hard Yards

- Would it be better to hire an Auto? if yes, do you need to use the gears option going down the hill if it’s icy?
    If you hire an Auto - you should not need to use the gears option - as others have said the gradients are no where near as bad as the NZ ski fields
    - I’m aware snow chains need to be carried but not normally required. I’m afraid that even after being shown by someone at servo I won’t be able to put them on properly. What is the risk ratio of needing chains to thredbo in late July?
    There's always a chance there will be snow on the road - but if chains are required there are bays (sometimes there is even help in the bays) and then everyone drives REALLY slowly - so it's not scary for the first timer.
    - Do you need chains to Jindy?
    No
    - Is it easier to stay in Jindy and catch a shuttle or is it super expensive?
    super expensive!
    - Im driving with 2 others but only I have the manual license, only other car is 2WD thats auto and would need chains... should we just take this or hire? Again worried if snowy conditions would need to slow down using gears right on icy hill? (We have never used gears on auto but ive seen its possible?)
    It really is an easy drive from Jindy to Thredbo - If you don't want to end up doing all the driving then hire an auto!

- was hoping to stay somewhere in thredbo for ski in ski out and not have to worry about catching shuttle each day, but thats not deal breaker if shuttles were cheap
    Threbo is lovely to stay in - if you can afford it - you'll love it!
    - if we stay on mountain can we hire gear from there? Many sites say hire from jindy first

Yes - there are a couple of places to hire - but they are pricey - Jindy has more variety of hire places that are more reasonably priced - however if you are having issues with hire gear - you will have to drive back to Jindy to sort them out. Our family motto is: If you are staying on the hill - rent on the hill.
    - is the hill extremely steep to thredbo? Is it like going from queenstown to remarkables/coronet steep? Or windy? (Scares me a little haha)
    No - if you expecting the thrills of a NZ drive - you will be disappointed!

18. Interruptedbyfireworks

Going down the hill if it is icy - make sure you start it at a slow speed, then maintain your speed using a combination of low gear (you'll hear the engine rev but that's ok) and just tapping the brakes occasionally. The key is to make sure you begin the downhill at a slow speed, as it's much easier to maintain using engine braking (i.e. low gear) that way.

You can do a similar thing in an auto though I've not done it as many times as I have in a manual (new car is an auto, my old AWD of 10 years was manual) - you shift it to drive mode and use the paddles. You can practise that on normal roads to get the hang of it.

#18 Interruptedbyfireworks, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Alleve and Swan Valkyrie like this.
  19. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Steep hills, winding road, ice, snow fallen trees, fallen rocks, horses, goats, combats, deer, kangaroos, emu, range rovers, snow ploughs, traffic, tail gaters, school mums, buses, late staff, lifties .....

It's incredibly dangerous out there so maybe your mum should drive

#19 dawooduck, Mar 1, 2021
    DPS Driver, Alleve, person s and 6 others like this.
  20. Interruptedbyfireworks

The best advice I've read is someone on this forum said you should drive as if your nanna is in the passenger seat in her best sunday whites carrying a tray full of chocolate cupcakes...or something similar. So no sharp changes in speed or cornering and the drive to Thredbo should be a piece of cake :thumbs:

Alleve, LaNeige, piolet and 6 others like this.
  21. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

This is great! Thank you!!
    Thanks also to everyone else and their replies. I feel much more at ease asking here compared to all the searching Id done on other people’s questions over the internet.. just didnt feel like I got a solid answer haha.

I guess i’ll see how I go and whether or not Ill get a hire car just to split up driving maybe.

Should I be getting the national park pass or just get it while im there. Its only for a week. If I get a hire car I can’t put the sticker on that car

22. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Thanks this helps! :) so considering the drive is normally about 30min or so from Jindy, I cant imagine the hill to be a big/long one? Hopefully its over quickly.

im also a fan of leaving early but read that its better to wait for others to have gone first ad the road would be more clear from snow/ive? And salt being laid.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  23. Interruptedbyfireworks

Yeah it's not a long drive, and most of it is actually pretty flat and gentle, certainly no hairpin turns or anything like that.

Others will have more informed opinions on early vs late driving than me - I'm not a morning person and rarely get to Jindy before 8am lol

For the national parks pass you should be able to check the prices online, and see what is cheapest out of the annual pass or a daily pass for the week you are there. At $29 a day it might be cheaper for the annual pass, which you can buy online before you go

Jonathan_P likes this.
  24. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

If you’re looking at getting a hire car, expressly state you plan to drive it to Thredbo to the hire company so you’re covered just in case you have an accident.

Alleve, Hanz Onyawaif, LMB and 3 others like this.
  25. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Yeah that’s what I was debating but again if I choose a different car i’ll be paying for the pass on my own car and wont apply to new one. Wasn’t sure if I could change stickers over just while im there?

26. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Thanks! Im sure it will bump up the insurance price lol

Jonathan_P and Sage Oya like this.
  27. Interruptedbyfireworks

I'm fairly certain you can't just change the annual pass sticker over to a new car like that. When I bought a new car and transferred the pass to the new car I had to show proof of sale of the old vehicle, proof of purchase of the new vehicle, and then they reissued it for the new registration number. So not really a temporary switch for a hire car situation unfortunately.

Alleve, LaNeige, LMB and 3 others like this.
  28. Donzah

Regardless.
    The hire car would be less capable than a 2010 Subaru Imprezza.

Alleve, LaNeige, LMB and 6 others like this.
  29. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

A manual awd is the perfect car for the job, much better than most hire cars. Driving between jindy and thredbo should not be onerous. A manual gives you better control with engine braking and obviously the awd gives better grip.

With a hire car you may also have issues with carrying your gear. More likely to have to fit chains. Possible insurance issues too.

#29 currawong, Mar 1, 2021
    oldgeezer, LMB, Swan Valkyrie and 2 others like this.
  30. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

Agreed, I would think driving a car you’re used to, and is AWD would be preferable to the FWD you’re likely to be given as a hire car.

oldgeezer, LMB and currawong like this.
  31. Donzah

This.
    The only thing i'd offer to the OP is check out the tyres on your car.
    You want a decent tyre (rather than a High performance low side wall tyre)

32. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Hire car would also be a waste of $$$. Snow line insurance (to be able to take the hire car past the National Park gate) is/was $30 a day on top of normal rates.

Swan Valkyrie and Jonathan_P like this.
  33. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

ah good point thanks :) do I need to do anything different in the car? Turn on a traction control button or something?

34. Donzah

No.
    Subaru traction control is on by default.

LMB and currawong like this.
  35. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

im not sure which tyres I have tbh. Will check it out. How will I know if they would be suitable or not? I got brand new ones at end of 2019, but only driven like 3000km since then. Should have enough tread. I know when I bought them i opted for a bit higher than stock standard but theyre not full on performance

Donzah likes this.
  36. Donzah

They'd be fine.
    3000km is 7% wear ('ve found)... ie very little.

LMB and Swan Valkyrie like this.
  37. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

i think it looks like this? But its a toggle under the steering wheel. Pretty sure it doesnt have off on there. Its either toggle up or down. Anyway if its on its good for icy roads? Just stops tyres spinning?

Attached Files:

38. Donzah

No need to touch it.
    Traction control is great for those sort of roads.

Annago and Ozgirl like this.
  39. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

I dunno if I turned it on or off by accident previously!

40. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Actually nah all good different switch. Its not pushed in so its on! :)

41. Donzah

It's on.
    There will be a light on your dash with squiggly lines if its off.
    [​IMG]

42. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Awesome makes sense.

Thanks everyone for your help!! It’s tremendous relief off my shoulders :) now just gotta get passes

43. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

Thredbo village is below the snow line, you're unlikely to be driving on snow except Friday Dr. and the carpark. Note though that in the mornings there can be icy stretches about just from frost or rain overnight on any of the roads, including Kosciuszko Rd on the way in to Jindy.

Are all your friends/family on their P's? A full licence from Automatic P's is automatically converted to a full unrestricted driver licence, and I believe NSW Green provisional licence is also provisioned to manual no matter how you obtained it.

44. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

They’re on their opens, originally from QLD. Ive got my NSW license (manual) another has NSW license (auto) and QLD has manual

45. Aractus

Aractus One of Us

The NSW/auto licence driver should be able to go to the gov't shopfront and swap their licence immediately for unrestricted. It's meant to be automatically changed over, but sometimes there are mistakes. No full drivers licence is supposed to be restricted to Auto (except perhaps for specific unusual circumstances). You can then swap cars for a week or something and they'll have experience with your car in case you want/need to share driving.

46. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

@Swan Valkyrie
    Just to confirm waht everyone else has said here, and also a quick question
    Are you a p-plater/new on the road?
    Im a green p plater now and last year was the first time that I ever drove to the snow by myself. Some words of advice from my perspective

As said many times, a subaru impreza is the best car to take period. there is really no discussion here. I was in an outback last year (but unfortunately has since left this earth), but now own exactly the same car as you, and did many trips up and down the road this summer. handled like a piece of cake. use your gears and you will 100% be ok.

The road is not very windy at all, I think the sharpest bend for memory is 55km/h (and there is only one of them)
    As for snow, you would need to be unlucky (or very lucky, depending on point of view) for it to snow to thredbo and the subbie not be able to handle it. Again, use your gears and not your breaks and just take your time. There will be plenty of people trying to go faster thabn you in 4WD's (snow or not) and just let them do their own thing.
    I would no recommend doing it in the dark, at least for your first time. I did, and it was not pleasant. Very very different experince, and something I wont be doing again if I can help it.

If you are driving to Thredbo everyday, (im not sure how many days you are going for) get a national parks sticker. If you decide to fork out for on the snow accomodation (and trust me, I think its worth it. Its exxy, but value for money is there), get a day ticket.
    The shuttle to Perisher is $120 for the whole family (minus me). My parents really worry about there car and my dad hates hastle so he just pays it and leaves the car in Jindy. He swears by it.

As others have said, youll be absolutely fine and will have a ball. Its an experience, thats for sure!!

LMB and Ted Harper like this.
  47. chicski

chicski Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Correction to your assumption that the parks pass is on entry day only. You will need a pass for every day your car is the the park. Get a season pass.

Ozgirl and LMB like this.
  48. Jasper Schwarz

Jasper Schwarz One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sorry my bad. Was making the assumption you would take the car back out of the national park, but this doesnt make much sense anyway cause how are you getting back.

100% get a pass

49. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

Wow I did not know this, thank you.

50. Swan Valkyrie

Swan Valkyrie Early Days

This is awesome - thanks!!!
    Im on my opens no issues there :)

And good to know the only bend is like 55km p/hour. Im hoping to not go at night so should be ok.

If im staying at the mountain for 7 days, wouldnt I need to pay a daily rate for 7 days? We would just be leaving car in car park and stay on mountain the whole time.

LMB likes this.