DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Some pointers:
  • Drive the Subi up
  • Get a Parks pass
  • Carry snow chains and know how to fit them before; ie practice putting them on and taking them off in the driveway
  • Only fit them when directed to do so (hint: you are driving an AWD so this is unlikely)
  • Wear an old jacket, gloves and have something to kneel on when fitting chains (hint: you are driving an AWD so this is unlikely)
  • Check the RMS live traffic report for road conditions
  • Check on here for conditions on the hill
  • Drive to the conditions, ignore all the Euro AWDs going past you at 100 mph
  • Don't drive back down to Jindy with snow chains on unless otherwise directed, take them off when safe to do so
  • If you're staying on the hill overnight park in the long term carparks, otherwise park in the day carparks

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
So much angst about something relatively simple. Stop over thinking it.

We drive up there in a front wheel drive automatic. We have had to put chains on once in 30 years going to Thredbo. More on the rare occasion we have driven all the way to Perisher.. If you do need to put chains on it means it is good snow so be grateful.

That road is 100kph limit out of winter. It is not a difficult drive at 100kph. It is not steep it is not twisty. Beyond Thredbo is different.

If the conditions are bad when you do drive up avoid the peak morning and afternoon periods because you will get harrassed by the people running late to catch the skitube. or rushing back to Jindy. I understand their rush going up but not coming back.

The national parks pass is for the whole time you are in the resort. Not just the day you arrive or the day you leave.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
More broadly @Swan Valkyrie - it might be worth getting a bit of practice on country roads and/or loose surfaces. It sounds like any anxiety you've got about the trip might be down to a lack of experience/familiarity with open road driving perhaps? You've got plenty of time between now and winter!

PS You'll be fine.

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
Some pointers:
  • Drive the Subi up
  • Get a Parks pass
  • Carry snow chains and know how to fit them before; ie practice putting them on and taking them off in the driveway
  • Only fit them when directed to do so (hint: you are driving an AWD so this is unlikely)
  • Wear an old jacket, gloves and have something to kneel on when fitting chains (hint: you are driving an AWD so this is unlikely)
  • Check the RMS live traffic report for road conditions
  • Check on here for conditions on the hill
  • Drive to the conditions, ignore all the Euro AWDs going past you at 100 mph
  • Don't drive back down to Jindy with snow chains on unless otherwise directed, take them off when safe to do so
  • If you're staying on the hill overnight park in the long term carparks, otherwise park in the day carparks
Thanks for the level of detail! :) ill make sure i go through this closer to the trip!

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
So much angst about something relatively simple. Stop over thinking it.

We drive up there in a front wheel drive automatic. We have had to put chains on once in 30 years going to Thredbo. More on the rare occasion we have driven all the way to Perisher.. If you do need to put chains on it means it is good snow so be grateful.

That road is 100kph limit out of winter. It is not a difficult drive at 100kph. It is not steep it is not twisty. Beyond Thredbo is different.

If the conditions are bad when you do drive up avoid the peak morning and afternoon periods because you will get harrassed by the people running late to catch the skitube. or rushing back to Jindy. I understand their rush going up but not coming back.

The national parks pass is for the whole time you are in the resort. Not just the day you arrive or the day you leave.

Thanks, makes sense. Yeah im just worried because ive had relatives that live in snowy climates and have had accidents in it. I know not the same here, but was worried considering I can sometimes be nervous driving in heavy rain in manuals but moreso because i’ve never done it in snow/icy roads before. But I feel more assured now :)

Reactions: Alleve

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
More broadly @Swan Valkyrie - it might be worth getting a bit of practice on country roads and/or loose surfaces. It sounds like any anxiety you've got about the trip might be down to a lack of experience/familiarity with open road driving perhaps? You've got plenty of time between now and winter!

PS You'll be fine.
Thanks!!

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
Wear an old jacket, gloves and have something to kneel on when fitting chains
re this as mentioned you most likely wont need it but i went to Bunnings and you can get foam squares about 70 cm square, about $5 each perfect for kneeling on to fit / remove chains ( also to stand on to put boots on/off in snowy carpark
Thredbo is arguably the least scary of the 5 main resorts in Oz ,, none really scary except Hotham ( IMO )
re fitting chains as driver you should delegate chain fitting to passengers , takes pressure off , must keep driver warm and fully functional ;)

Reactions: AJS and currawong
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
re this as mentioned you most likely wont need it but i went to Bunnings and you can get foam squares about 70 cm square, about $5 each perfect for kneeling on to fit / remove chains ( also to stand on to put boots on/off in snowy carpark
Thredbo is arguably the least scary of the 5 main resorts in Oz ,, none really scary except Hotham ( IMO )
re fitting chains as driver you should delegate chain fitting to passengers , takes pressure off , must keep driver warm and fully functional ;)
Hahahaha good call!! But id be worried they wouldnt’t fit it properly but yes thanks I will get some supplies from bunnings to ensure we are covered

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Thanks, makes sense. Yeah im just worried because ive had relatives that live in snowy climates and have had accidents in it. I know not the same here, but was worried considering I can sometimes be nervous driving in heavy rain in manuals but moreso because i’ve never done it in snow/icy roads before. But I feel more assured now :)
If you are up there and the conditions close in, just drive slower and keep more distance between you and the car in front.

One more thing, don't drive up on an empty tank. Having petrol is a good thing to have in a car, just saying ;)

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
If you are up there and the conditions close in, just drive slower and keep more distance between you and the car in front.

One more thing, don't drive up on an empty tank. Having petrol is a good thing to have in a car, just saying ;)
Bad experience with no fuel? :O

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
You’ll be fine.
It’s seriously an easy drive unless a storm comes through, then you drive to conditions and go carefully.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Also if you do stay in the village, don't leave your car parked overnight in the day parking area or you may become very, very unpopular LOL

59731_a7ab55b8ed1fda3e0deb4cb89d653f77.jpeg

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
In a storm at night, that exact day park is a skidpan for drifting and donut practice.

Have you heard about 'black ice' yet?

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Thredbo is arguably the least scary of the 5 main resorts in Oz
Actually that is a really valid point. And at the others the issue is often not the road but the other drivers. Falls Creek, 4wds straight lining the corners, terrifying! I avoid going up there in the afternoon because of this.

Hanz Onyawaif

One of Us
Jul 25, 2014
I don't want to increase your anxiety but you should also be aware of more wildlife along the alpine way towards the national park.
If you have a passenger make sure they are scanning the sides of the roads for roos, wombats and deer etc.
I've only had to dodge a kangaroo once in over 20 years of driving to Thredbo so the odds are slim that you will encounter anything.
I'm sure you will be more than capable to drive there in your car, Thredbo is an easy drive 99 days out of 100.
It's nothing like the NZ roads which scare me too.
I hope you enjoy your trip.

Reactions: Swan Valkyrie

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I don't want to increase your anxiety but you should also be aware of more wildlife along the alpine way towards the national park.
If you have a passenger make sure they are scanning the sides of the roads for roos, wombats and deer etc.
I've only had to dodge a kangaroo once in over 20 years of driving to Thredbo so the odds are slim that you will encounter anything.
I'm sure you will be more than capable to drive there in your car, Thredbo is an easy drive 99 days out of 100.
More like scanning the sides of the road for roadkill.
Is it bad that my children keep a running tally of dead roos, wombats, foxes and deer between Canberra and Jindy?

Reactions: crackson

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
More like scanning the sides of the road for roadkill.
Is it bad that my children keep a running tally of dead roos, wombats, foxes and deer between Canberra and Jindy?
Nope.
We call that game “biltong”

Reactions: Lifes2good

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Unlikely to be an issue during the day. Though there are always exceptions. Dawn and dusk, our tally increases every year. Volvo xvii roos 1 but that is an accumulation of damge rather than any single car being seriously damaged.

if you do encounter any don’t swerve as you are likely to roll your car.

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy

That's pretty lucky, in an average season I'd say I've come close to hitting a roo at least twice and unfortunately collected one in 2018.

Deer are another issue and I've had several instances where a group have darted across the road in front of me both on the outskirts of Jindy and in the national park.

Reactions: LaNeige

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
If you are going at night pay particular attention to the area from just before crakenback resort to past the park enty gate.
I've seen deer, roos and even a horse on the road in that stretch.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Plenty deer in the evenings too from East Jindy to dam wall, and lotsa roos at the golf course beforehand.

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017
Thredbo village was deliberately sited to be below the snowline, to make access easier back when cars were not very good. Ironically this was also intended to make the resort less elitist than Charlotte Pass and the Perisher ski fields, which at the time required oversnow transport to reach, as that road wasn't ploughed as far as it is today and the ski tube barely imagined.

Reactions: Swan Valkyrie

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I would think that the fuel would be off most of the time as I don't know anybody ever buying fuel there in my lifetime.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018

Oh and learn to coordinate your handbrake operation with your throttle/clutch work (for hill starts), and learn to modulate speed in one (appropriate) gear while going downhill rather than relying on the brakes, you'll find it easier to make fine adjustments to the car's balance without upsetting things. Driving a manual full time I'm constantly surprised by how much braking people seem to have to do - though I suspect most are in automatics.

Reactions: oldgeezer

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Driving a manual full time I'm constantly surprised by how much braking people seem to have to do - though I suspect most are in automatics.
This would be the correct answer.
And they’re designed to be driven that way.
It used to be “spot the auto”, but times have changed and it’s very much “spot the manual” now. And most easily spotted by NOT using brakes when slowing down.

Reactions: dawooduck

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This would be the correct answer.
And they’re designed to be driven that way.
It used to be “spot the auto”, but times have changed and it’s very much “spot the manual” now. And most easily spotted by NOT using brakes when slowing down.
*except pretty much every auto in the land has a "manual" mode.
Many people don't use this.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
*except pretty much every auto in the land has a "manual" mode.
Many people don't use this.
Most situations don’t call for it.
Granted Alpine Way in winter is one that does.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Most situations don’t call for it.
Granted Alpine Way in winter is one that does.
I drive my auto in manual mode 90% of the time. Especially around here.
*I also drive a manual for work. So it comes naturally.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Oh and learn to coordinate your handbrake operation with your throttle/clutch work (for hill starts), and learn to modulate speed in one (appropriate) gear while going downhill rather than relying on the brakes, you'll find it easier to make fine adjustments to the car's balance without upsetting things. Driving a manual full time I'm constantly surprised by how much braking people seem to have to do - though I suspect most are in automatics.
Or learn how to use one of the best features in a car ever that I believe subaru invent.

Hill Assist.

Specifically designed to help you start from the stop position on a hill. Ie the cheats hill start! (OP didnt you have to do a hill start in your driving test? Kids these days! Hi @Jasper Schwarz :p)

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Or learn how to use one of the best features in a car ever that I believe subaru invent.

Hill Assist.

Specifically designed to help you start from the stop position on a hill. Ie the cheats hill start! (OP didnt you have to do a hill start in your driving test? Kids these days! Hi @Jasper Schwarz :p)
OMG I completely forgot about that, you just brought memories back of driving my parents subaru liberty which was a manual, umm I would not drive one these days I am lazy.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
OMG I completely forgot about that, you just brought memories back of driving my parents subaru liberty which was a manual, umm I would not drive one these days I am lazy.
The good old days (my first sub DL, the orignal Jindy holden) the hill hold was a double tap thing of the brake and it would magically hold.

Reactions: LMB and Jonathan_P

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The good old days (my first sub DL, the orignal Jindy holden) the hill hold was a double tap thing of the brake and it would magically hold.
Ha!!
Dats cheatin’
I didn’t even know that feature existed.

Try heavy vehicle licence exam hill starts... they fun! Especially in a vehicle you’re unfamiliar with :D Was all good for mine, but that moment of panic right before it :emoji_broken_heart:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass