Advice needed New driving to thredbo help

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Ha!!
Dats cheatin’
I didn’t even know that feature existed.

Try heavy vehicle licence exam hill starts... they fun! Especially in a vehicle you’re unfamiliar with :D Was all good for mine, but that moment of panic right before it :emoji_broken_heart:
I didnt cheat to get my license, had to do a proper manual hill start.

sixty_eight

One of Us
Feb 18, 2009
NSW
The hilliest, windiest part of the drive to Thredbo is between Jindabyne and the Skitube. But typically never snow in that section.

Reactions: oldgeezer

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Ha!!
Dats cheatin’
I didn’t even know that feature existed.

Try heavy vehicle licence exam hill starts... they fun! Especially in a vehicle you’re unfamiliar with :D Was all good for mine, but that moment of panic right before it :emoji_broken_heart:
RMS took my heavy vehicle licence because they reckoned I couldn't see properly
ok for any other vehicle!

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I dunno where you are from, but a parks pass gets you into all nat parks, not just Kosciusko, so in sydney its handy for places like bobbin head, west head etc?
Also Sydney Harbour NP. North Head, Bradleys Head, Middle Head and Chowder Bay. Southside gets you Kurnell and Cape Solander for whales. And Garigal on upper Middle Harbour. Once you have a pass you start going to places to get your money's worth.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
I dunno where you are from, but a parks pass gets you into all nat parks, not just Kosciusko, so in sydney its handy for places like bobbin head, west head etc?

Melbourne. My partner and I have a weeks accomodation booked in Kalkite for August. We both have Epic Passes. We most likely won't be going anywhere else in NSW this year.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Also Sydney Harbour NP. North Head, Bradleys Head, Middle Head and Chowder Bay. Southside gets you Kurnell and Cape Solander for whales. And Garigal on upper Middle Harbour. Once you have a pass you start going to places to get your money's worth.

Those places are a LONG way south for Nth Beaches residents, more like holiday destinations really :p:p:p

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
How many days do you have to do at Perisher or Thredbo for a National Parks pass to pay for itself?
It was always a tricky one for PB and I.

Flying into Canberra and hiring a car, we managed a few years to be permitted to buy the annual pass and tie it to one of our drivers licences rather than the hire car, which gave us the same pricing as someone who was able to drive their own car there. I was happy with that.

But the past few years they wouldn’t hear of it. So we were stuck paying daily entry over rather extended periods of time, which sucked. It the current technological times SURELY they could mange a workaround to connect the parks pass
To the person rather than the car...

Not a battle I need to worry about this year, as I’ll drive across the Nullarbor.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Everyone should do that....once!

Make sure you detour for some Bight action.

Used to do it fairly often as a kid, first couple of times it was dirt.
Hopefully we will be able to.
Will depend on who is coming with me, and how quick the journey needs to be (aka if PB is just helping with the driving then flying back to WA).

He is keen to leave a car in Canberra - I feel like that is the most impractical thing I’ve ever heard of LOL so we are a long way apart on the return journey right now.

Reactions: Ozgirl and telecrag

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Manual will be fine @Swan Valkyrie if there is snow on the road. Steady as you go is the thing. Anticipation. Get into 3rd or even 2nd depending on traffic ahead of timr. Even feather the clutch if need be like you might getting into a tight car park spot to go dead slow rather than stop-start (something difficult in an automatic). Not a good thing for consistent use but once or twice where it pays off won't break the bank. IIRC spots where there can be black ice have warning signs but going at a moderate speed be passive (for a second) if you find yourself on it. Kind of like on the slopes.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
It was always a tricky one for PB and I.

Flying into Canberra and hiring a car, we managed a few years to be permitted to buy the annual pass and tie it to one of our drivers licences rather than the hire car, which gave us the same pricing as someone who was able to drive their own car there. I was happy with that.

But the past few years they wouldn’t hear of it. So we were stuck paying daily entry over rather extended periods of time, which sucked. It the current technological times SURELY they could mange a workaround to connect the parks pass
To the person rather than the car...

Not a battle I need to worry about this year, as I’ll drive across the Nullarbor.
One reason I have liked the US Eagle Pass on the couple of times when I have bought it. It gives you entry to national parks but it is (was?) a card so was not specific to a vehicle.

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
We were caught out and got slugged at Jervis Bay years ago, we were positive our year round staff pass covered that area too, But no. ACT. "technically".

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
Oh and learn to coordinate your handbrake operation with your throttle/clutch work (for hill starts), and learn to modulate speed in one (appropriate) gear while going downhill rather than relying on the brakes, you'll find it easier to make fine adjustments to the car's balance without upsetting things. Driving a manual full time I'm constantly surprised by how much braking people seem to have to do - though I suspect most are in automatics.
So I would likely need to do hill starts with the handbrake? Yikes havent done that for years :(

so pretty much go down hill, use say 2nd then 1st to slow down rather than breaks for the most part?

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
Or learn how to use one of the best features in a car ever that I believe subaru invent.

Hill Assist.

Specifically designed to help you start from the stop position on a hill. Ie the cheats hill start! (OP didnt you have to do a hill start in your driving test? Kids these days! Hi @Jasper Schwarz :p)
Yeah I did do them and passed fine just hvent done for years.

My Subaru does have the hill assist if I depress the break right to floor for a second or so then Ive got about 1 second before I have to accelerator. However when im on a steep as hill, and I have to stop at a roundabout I freak out because it rolls back and I quickly press accelerator and revs engine :( now im worried again that ill roll back and hit someone :(

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
In winter my kids drive to the ski tube 5 or 6 times a week. I doubt either of them have ever gad to do a hill start on the way.

you are we working really hard at finding a problem. Just stop it. Otherwise you will make all the stuff you are working so hard at worrying about actually happen.

it is a good road. In summer the soeed limit is 100 kph. There are maybe 2 corners you cannot take at that speed. The 2 steep bits are double lane.

Drive in the middle of the day and you are unlikely to have to worry about wildlife, black ice, snow or heavy traffic.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
So I would likely need to do hill starts with the handbrake? Yikes havent done that for years :(

so pretty much go down hill, use say 2nd then 1st to slow down rather than breaks for the most part?

You won't need first or second, there's nothing like anything that steep or severe on the drive, just make sure you're in the appropriate gear for the speed you need (IE use corner speed advisories as a rough guide). Don't stress - it's an easy country trip, the roads are mostly very good, so just take your time and enjoy the scenery!

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
In winter my kids drive to the ski tube 5 or 6 times a week. I doubt either of them have ever gad to do a hill start on the way.

you are we working really hard at finding a problem. Just stop it. Otherwise you will make all the stuff you are working so hard at worrying about actually happen.

it is a good road. In summer the soeed limit is 100 kph. There are maybe 2 corners you cannot take at that speed. The 2 steep bits are double lane.

Drive in the middle of the day and you are unlikely to have to worry about wildlife, black ice, snow or heavy traffic.
Never had to stop going up Ivo’s? I have. Traffic often comes to a standstill on busy days as cars try and merge into the single lane at the top.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Never had to stop going up Ivo’s? I have. Traffic often comes to a standstill on busy days as cars try and merge into the single lane at the top.
This.
Its usually stopped from the merge at the top all the way down the dual lane on a decent busy day.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
95% of the time the drive to Thredbo is a piece of cake. Good roads, clear, sometimes a bit of traffic. Sensible driving and you’re all good. It is nothing like the winding tracks up to Vic resorts or NZ resorts.

However when im on a steep as hill, and I have to stop at a roundabout I freak out because it rolls back and I quickly press accelerator and revs engine :( now im worried again that ill roll back and hit someone :(

But this worries me. ^

If you’re not an experienced or confident driver then you will find it more difficult than most of us here. I dare say the majority of us may have considered and had worries about snow and ice driving the first visit or two, as we would be unfamiliar with those things, but wouldn’t have been freaking out about hill starts or slowing using our gears instead of just braking.

Maybe just put some hours of driving practice in on local hills near you so you feel more comfortable driving the car you’ll take to the snow.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Hill starts ....
20200713_072200.jpg

Reactions: Ozgirl and Donza

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yeah I did do them and passed fine just hvent done for years.

My Subaru does have the hill assist if I depress the break right to floor for a second or so then Ive got about 1 second before I have to accelerator. However when im on a steep as hill, and I have to stop at a roundabout I freak out because it rolls back and I quickly press accelerator and revs engine :( now im worried again that ill roll back and hit someone :(
You should find a safe place to practice. You def have longer than a second. The hill assist should hold until you press the accelerator.

Reactions: Swan Valkyrie
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass