Advice needed New driving to thredbo help

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Top of snowline, easy 100.

That hairpin just before skitube on the way up is my nemesis. Great corner, but very bumpy.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Haha! Top of snowline perhaps? Remember the year there was a car in the paddock there for months? Oh and that just reminded me of the car in the tree just above Sponars one year. Whomping Willow anyone?
Seasonal workers.
Just left it there.

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
IMG_1362.jpeg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Swan Valkyrie

Early Days
Mar 1, 2021
I have another question - im hiring the ski gear for 3 people, and 3 people are going to be in my car. Will they fit? I dont know if they are short enough to fit horizontally across the seats (on persons lap). I dont have roof racks.

i was hoping thredbo had a hire stall at the mountain but apparently its only in jindy?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Oh for heaven's sake. Two hills, low down and rarely covered with snow.
Was commenting on the steepness you goose. OP can’t do hill starts (should hand in licence). Will roll backwards if they have to stop on that hill, which happens often because people can’t merge!

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
I have another question - im hiring the ski gear for 3 people, and 3 people are going to be in my car. Will they fit? I dont know if they are short enough to fit horizontally across the seats (on persons lap). I dont have roof racks.

i was hoping thredbo had a hire stall at the mountain but apparently its only in jindy?

Yes you can hire all your gear at Friday Flat in Thredbo, there's no need to transport anything.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Was commenting on the steepness you goose. OP can’t do hill starts (should hand in licence). Will roll backwards if they have to stop on that hill, which happens often because people can’t merge!
I'm guessing that the OP gets around quite happily for the other 51 weeks a year quite comfortably, including handling hills as terrifying as those on the Thredbo road. There is nothing on that road that warrants the existential panic some people are creating. It's just a normal road that, on rare occasions, gets snow on it.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I'm guessing that the OP gets around quite happily for the other 51 weeks a year quite comfortably, including handling hills as terrifying as those on the Thredbo road. There is nothing on that road that warrants the existential panic some people are creating. It's just a normal road that, on rare occasions, gets snow on it.
And my comment was just in reply to the comment that it looked flat. Direct your angst at those panicking.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I wasn’t frothing. I made a factual comment. And if you can’t do hill starts you should stay in your garage, or buy an auto.
Maybe the OP has an auto.

They are clearly nervous. Is there any need for them to be nervous? IMO not.
Is scaring the crap out of them useful? IMO not.
So we have a bunch of heroes in their own lunchtime trying to prove how tough they are by talking up the perils of an ordinary country road. Pathetic.

Reactions: Swan Valkyrie

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
It's the Galston Gorge section of the drive in the pouring rain that would have me concerned. Especially with the increased risk of landslides. All of those hairpin bends...

Reactions: hotsaki

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW

There's hire at Thredbo, it's just cheaper in Jindy. Not sure how big your car is but in my subie to fit skis inside the vehicle I have to fold down one of the rear seats

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
There's hire at Thredbo, it's just cheaper in Jindy. Not sure how big your car is but in my subie to fit skis inside the vehicle I have to fold down one of the rear seats
If you have roof racks you can get a ski carrier, look on gumtree they are pretty cheap

Otherwise just fold one rear seat down and you should be fine..

Reactions: Swan Valkyrie

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
It's the Galston Gorge section of the drive in the pouring rain that would have me concerned. Especially with the increased risk of landslides. All of those hairpin bends...
ROFLROFL They are coming from Jindy not Khancoban.

Has there been a landslide that has affected the road this side of Dead Horse gap in the last 23 years? They have done a lot of work with gabions in that period of time.

The other side, especially the far end, I am sure it isn't but, it seems like every winter there is a landslide the day we head off to Mt Buller for ABOM and interschools when nationals are in Victoria.

Jasper Schwarz

Young but not afraid
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2017
Northern Beaches, Sydney,
3 people with 3 amounts of gear should fit in your car ( I think above I remember reading you have an Impreza).

Im 6 foot and have 172 skis. Both myself and my GF who is also tall (just under 6 foot) can fit my skis, poles, with only the passenger back seat down, including our gear.

But 3 people becomes a fair bit more complex.

Unless you are tiny, 0 percent chance they fit in length ways.

my advice is take all the gear to where you are staying, drop it off at the door, then drive back to Crackenback to Harrows if it is true there is no hire at Thredbo (But I’d be absolutely blown away if this is true)
Perisher at the skitube at Bullocks Flat also does hire.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
Ski hire at a ski resort, now that's an interesting idea.

If no ones doing it at Thredbo, perhaps there's a business opportunity. FFS you're not serious.
I would never recommend anyone hire their skis from the resort ski hire business. You are paying a shitload for a daily pass, why would you want to waste any of that time queueing up with the masses to get ski gear? You're going to spend long enough queueing at the lifts.
Get your shit together beforehand so you can spend less time queueing and more time skiing. Yes I'm bitter from dealing with certain members of my party in the past who cannot grasp this simple concept.

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
I would never recommend anyone hire their skis from the resort ski hire business. You are paying a shitload for a daily pass, why would you want to waste any of that time queueing up with the masses to get ski gear? You're going to spend long enough queueing at the lifts.
Get your shit together beforehand so you can spend less time queueing and more time skiing. Yes I'm bitter from dealing with certain members of my party in the past who cannot grasp this simple concept.

Arrive the day before, rent gear, organise lockers etc. S'not that hard, shirley?

Reactions: LMB

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
414F9C9A-B72A-4DE1-8910-DB7BF8367061.jpeg

It’s not that hard to drive to Thredbo, I’m making up ( cutting and re welding 19 inch ) snow chains to fit my MG. Planning on driving it at least one day to either Thredbo or Perisher just for the fun of it.
Yes, yes do it.

But please tell me when you're going, because you know full well we'll get a metre and a half in 24 hours if you do. Have you got a hard top?

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
Simple rules. We leave at 7 am with or without you. We will see you at lunch at ( insert meeting place ) 12 midday. We leave the car park to go home at 3:40. With or without you.

simple. Works every time. We get lots of guests, our rules. Usually they drive themselves.

Reactions: LMB and crackson

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
3 people with 3 amounts of gear should fit in your car ( I think above I remember reading you have an Impreza).

Im 6 foot and have 172 skis. Both myself and my GF who is also tall (just under 6 foot) can fit my skis, poles, with only the passenger back seat down, including our gear.

But 3 people becomes a fair bit more complex.

Unless you are tiny, 0 percent chance they fit in length ways.

my advice is take all the gear to where you are staying, drop it off at the door, then drive back to Crackenback to Harrows if it is true there is no hire at Thredbo (But I’d be absolutely blown away if this is true)
Perisher at the skitube at Bullocks Flat also does hire.
Girlfriend??? when did this happen young grasshopper?

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Do you mean the right and left before Lake Crackenback resort? I reckon they are the 2 worst corners.

The reason people don’t take the corners above snowline faster is lack of power up the hill.

Interesting, I reckon the worst corner is coming out of Jindy going up the hill, it swings left then back to the right just before the end of the overtaking lane. The corner tightens really quickly and so many people drift out of their lanes.

Haha! Top of snowline perhaps? Remember the year there was a car in the paddock there for months? Oh and that just reminded me of the car in the tree just above Sponars one year. Whomping Willow anyone?

wasn’t it two season ago that they left most of the cars on the side of the road that had had issues? I removed three or four of them sitting there for the season.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass