1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

New Fields - Trying Out Australia

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by BMWRX, Aug 6, 2019.

1. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

All of my skiing experience has been in NZ (Cardies, Cornet, Remarks, TC), despite living in Brisbane. Next year my partner wants a ski in/ski out experience for our mid-year ski trip and suggested Falls Creek (we are doing Japan for the first time in January next year as well).

My question to the assembled knowledge here is how will FC compare to the fields in NZ? I looked at the trail map and it looks fantastic. And is there any advice on places to stay and other tips for booking FC as will likely get onto it in the next couple months?

Of course, if Falls is not the answer, are the NSW fields a better option?

2. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Ski in- ski out Falls Creek is your go to resort in Australia. You'll love it.

Accom depends on budget like everywhere else. I like Attunga Lodge.

Chaeron and qwill like this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Falls Creek has quite different zones. The south facing slopes are mainly blue and relatively short. However they have some of the most reliable cover in Aus, particularly Vic. The runs start off with the easy runs at drovers dream chair and basically get a little steeper as you move right to other lifts (with a few exceptions). There is snowmaking on quite a few of these runs.

The north facing runs are longer but less reliable. There is very little snowmaking. The Maze runs off the 1km International poma are fantastic dark blue to black skiing in good conditions - but this doesn't happen every year. The summit/village runs face more east. They are blue to black and hold snow better than north facing runs, but they are shorter than International etc

Wombats Ramble is a 2km green run that is largely north facing but gets lots of snowmaking attention so is pretty reliable if you don't mind slush on a sunny afternoon

I love Falls. It is a bit smaller, less crowed and friendlier than the other major aus resorts. The village atmosphere with no cars is great too. Nothing nicer than walking or skiing on the village roads after or during a fresh fall

Ski in/ ski out depends on conditions. If cover is marginal then getting to the lifts can be a bit of a pain from some lodges, depending on your ability to get through secret tracks between lodges etc. There is a free village shuttle but not frequent enough and sometimes too full to get on. You may want to choose somewhere that is still easy to get to/from lifts if cover is not good.

qwill, skiflat, BMWRX and 1 other person like this.
  4. soza

soza One of Us

Falls Creek offers quite a bit of variety. More so than if you went to NZ and just based yourself at one resort. Yep the runs are not as long but you can spend a full day and never ride the same run twice. Tree runs make overcast poor vis days a blast and staying on snow just adds to the whole holiday experience.

Chaeron and qwill like this.
  5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Now that ive skiied coronet and remarks this week (and cardrona tomorrow!) my only thing to highlight for you would be lack of decent amount of steeps of any length at falls. If a low volume of steeps arent an issue, go to falls for ski in ski out, good vibe etc as all have noted above. Each resort in aus is very different i could crap on forever about pros n cons of each but theres the key thing to note for falls. And i really like falls thats not a my-resort is better thingy.

The Plowking and skiflat like this.
  6. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

Good advice, thanks. My skiing has gotten to the point where getting down something like the M1/All Nations at a reasonable pace is not a huge issue, so a lack of steeper runs (not that M1 is particularly steep) might be an issue if my progression continues.

And if you liked Remarks and Coronet, I look forward to your thoughts on Cardies tomorrow.

mr likes this.
  7. mr

Weve been loving it here as first timers and can totally see why qlders would come to nz. We are from melbourne and it wasnt that much longer to get here than hotham / falls which we call around 5 hrs in decent weather with a food stop.

I'd say theres enough M1s at falls to keep you happy....not as long perhaps. Falls has a very wide band of blues. We ski hotham more than falls or buller or nsw......i dont know mrs bmwrx but in my view falls is alot more attractive to more women than hotham so it depends on your objectives for your hols

Chaeron likes this.
  8. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Falls is the best all rounder

Best Village is Falls followed by Thredbo and then Buller

It's pretty flat but if Summit and International are open it's quite nice

Ski In and Out is possible depending on snow and where you stay as mentioned above

You could get a tentative booking for next year with some apartments etc now. They will reserve your room/apartment and when rates are updated, contact you for payment. Usually around January....

Mister Tee on XC Skis and Bogong like this.
  9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

And which resort(s) are you going to in Japan?

#9 Sandy, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  10. mr

Sandy is probably referring to the epic pass here. Which is worth thinking about. Also you could head over to hotham for a day on yor falls pass for more steeps and skiing a resort like its 1975

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Sandy

No, not really! ;)
    If the OP has never been outside NZ, is asking questions about where to stay in Falls Creek (ski in/ski out), and has said he will go to Japan next northern winter, then he needs information for Japan.
    Lift tickets are cheap in Japan, so the Epic Pass doesn't provide you with as much advantage if you to go to Japan, as it would if you went to North America.
    It's mainly about ski in/ski out, and what the expectation is regarding accommodation.

mr likes this.
  12. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

We are looking at Niseko or Furano. I know they are the big touristy places but they seem to cater the best for what we want.

We toyed with the idea of Squaw Valley but the attraction of seeing the rest of Japan when we've finished on the slopes is too strong.

13. Sandy

Niseko is a big touristy place, while Furano is not. Harder to find ski in/ski out in Niseko.
    What do you want them to cater for?

14. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

That's what we've found from our initial investigations, so we're likely to go to Furano.

How do you mean "what do you want them to cater for"? As in, what accommodation, etc? We are looking for a self-contained unit (kitchen and washing machine are the keys), doesn't have to be fancy as we pretty much only use it for eating and sleeping. However, if that is prohibitively expensive, then a single hotel room would suffice and would have to make do. In terms of skiing, well looked after on-piste runs, lessons if need be, closeness to the fields, runs for me (blue/black) and my partner (green and hoping to get to easy blues on our next trip).

15. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Falls is perfect for you, esp if the maze is open. Your partner will love it, just progress on the runs left to right once you get to cloud 9.

skiflat likes this.
  16. Sandy

Ok, so no powder on the agenda? Japan is not the land of self-contained units, except for western savy resorts (like Niseko or Hakuba). It may be a surprise you to learn that eating out is cheap in Japan (compared to Australian resorts)
    How long are you at Furano, and in the rest of Japan? Were you looking for "western" hotels or Japanese (futons on the floor)?

And if you want to see "the rest of Japan", then you might consider riding snow in central Japan.

17. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

I would pick Hakuba

18. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

Yes, powder would be good too.

Western hotels but if eating out is cheap, then good times as I'm not a fan of doing the dishes.

As for timelines, probably about ten days skiing and four/five days travelling around seeing things. We really only want to see Tokyo and Hiroshima.

19. Sandy

Are you flying in and out of Tokyo?
    If so, then better off riding snow in Nagano or Niigata, within easy Shinkansen (bullet train) distance of Tokyo.

20. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

Most likely Tokyo. Actually, we were looking at Nagano last night as a good option due to (as you've pointed out) it's proximity to Tokyo.

21. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Nagano would be a great option for you. It's got everything you've stated, even a few accom options which would suit. The food there is still cheap to eat out. Niseko is not cheap to eat out now. You need to go the Kuchan for better value.

As first timers you will be stoked with Nagano.

BMWRX likes this.
  22. BMWRX

BMWRX Hard Yards

The decision has been made.................Hakuba!

Seven days on the snow (not the best hotel but it's easy walking distance to lifts), then four days down in Ueno to check out a bit of Tokyo. All kicking off the first week of March.

skiflat likes this.