Not open for further replies.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Also newest posts include my own, that didn't happen before
Are you using Active Topics? That includes your recent posts
Newest Posts (not as easy to find) excludes them. Although very rarely it does include a recent one. Or maybe your posts are gold and get special treatment

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
FYI (for the handful that notice this)

Collapse Signatures and Collapse User Info settings in Preferences are not working - they are stuck in whatever preference the old theme used and now changes to those settings in the old theme also do not work.

Suspect DB field mapping issue. Have logged ticket with the creators of the Theme (who also installed)

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
Just wondering why there are only 3 pages of topics in conversation? Have tried looking for an answer... can't find it. I was looking for the "What are you watching" TV series topic.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Reactions: sastrugi

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
Took me awhile to associate the change was due to arriving at May 1. Overall an improvement and I like it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
My mouse scroll wheel has ceased to work in the forums
It's still OK in other programs, indeed in other internet stuff
Is this something to do with me or the new setup?
Does anyone else have this problem?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

Have you fed your mouse lately? It might be getting grumpy.

Mine works fine.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
i've noticed delays before a page here will scroll, but not specifically scroll wheel

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
But an i7 quad with 16gb shouldn't struggle with a bit of JS
I have a new MacBook Pro i7 with 16 gb and scrolling is no problem with the built-in trackpad or with a magic mouse
iMac is 2008 ie very old, only 4 gb - also no problem
the redesign looks like a success to me - congrats chaps!

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
upload_2017-5-4_6-11-23.jpeg

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

If anyone cares, turning the machine off and on again brought my recalcitrant mouse to heel
(Who wooda thort?)

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Just wondering why there are only 3 pages of topics in conversation? Have tried looking for an answer... can't find it. I was looking for the "What are you watching" TV series topic.

Pagination is adjusted for each forum to keep the server response fast. Conversation is particularly short pagination (30 days) because it is also the forum that gets hit the most - everyone's view is customised based on their last visit so caching is not possible and each view generates hundreds of database calls.

If you didn't find, it was on page 3: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/what-are-you-watching.64685
I believe by default a thread will drop off the view after a month without a post. Can still search for it successfully though.

Yes, correct observation - limited to 30 days.

Probably could open up to 45 days.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

If you go to the last page in a forum thread listing there is a link at the bottom to display older threads.

older_threads.png

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
a few months ago on one of these threads about the workings of the forum, Richard posted a url that would always give the up-to-date version of Active Topics
I've had my lappy stolen recently so am installing stuff on the new one, only to find - to my horror - that the shortcut I was using wasn't that url
can anyone provide it, please?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
a few months ago on one of these threads about the workings of the forum, Richard posted a url that would always give the up-to-date version of Active Topics
I've had my lappy stolen recently so am installing stuff on the new one, only to find - to my horror - that the shortcut I was using wasn't that url
can anyone provide it, please?

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/find-new/posts?recent=1

Link from the top of this (& every) page.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Last edited:

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
excellent, thanks!

I know you didn't ask, but...

What happens when you click active topics is you request the resource (ie, web page) at that URL. What gets returned is something slightly different: the page giving active topics at the time the server receives the request. I suspect you've been thrown because you bookmarked what you got back from clicking active topics rather than the original generic request. As a general case, for most links they will be the same (typically static content & "stateless" dynamic content) but for rapidly changing content where state needs to be kept (ie, read/unread) this is a common feature.

Generic instructions for bookmarking links (as opposed to the page that has been returned): Right click on the link (in this case active topics) and select "bookmark link" (or whatever its called in your preferred browser).

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
I know you didn't ask, but...

What happens when you click active topics is you request the resource (is, web page) at that URL. What gets returned is something slightly different: the page giving active topics at the time the server receives the request. I suspect you've been thrown because you bookmarked what you got back from clicking active topics rather than the original generic request. Mostly they will be the same (static content & "stateless" dynamic content) but for rapidly changing content where state needs to be kept (is, read/unread) this is a common feature.
Generic instructions for bookmarking links (as opposed to the page that has been returned): Right click on the link (in this case active topics) and select "bookmark link" (or whatever its called in your preferred browser).
yep, I think that was broadly Richard's explanation
I don't have any difficulty with technical explanations, just that I couldn't extract the url from various shortcuts via the conventional methods
the result of my right click on the blue bar was as per my post above

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
yep, I think that was broadly Richard's explanation
I don't have any difficulty with technical explanations, just that I couldn't extract the url from various shortcuts via the conventional methods
the result of my right click on the blue bar was as per my post above

Right click on the active topics button link from ski homepage will always save the right URL.

The trick is to save that link before you click it, not after you arrive on active topics which is a dynamic result based on your last visit.

The URL from the blue bar within the forum is also dynamic and can't be set as a bookmark successfully.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
Right click on the active topics button link from ski homepage will always save the right URL.

The trick is to save that link before you click it, not after you arrive on active topics which is a dynamic result based on your last visit.

The URL from the blue bar within the forum is also dynamic and can't be set as a bookmark successfully.
yep, it was saved but somehow fell off when I was retrieving the backup
all good now, recorded somewhere else for safety

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
not sure if it's new, but I like this function - just discovered by accident

sno-info is better than any other online forum

That function has been around a while. Never used it myself though.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Watched threads was never there.

Watched threads is in 'Forums' sub-menu along with all the original forum utility links.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass