1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

New Gondola at Nozawa

Discussion in 'Japan' started by N-o-z, Nov 11, 2019.

1. N-o-z

N-o-z First Runs

Hi all,

I'm looking for more information on the new Nozawa gondola that opens for the 2020/2021 season.

It's quicker and it has no mid-mountain Yunomine station.

Are there plans for how beginner level skiers will exit the Yunomine area? Are new (beginner) runs planned down into Nagasaka?

I'm interested in seeing designs if people have seen any floating around.

@Nozawaman do you have any info on this?

Ramenman likes this.
  2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, I know what you mean.... The cat track out of the area is absolutely crap. It's so flat, you have to push almost all the way. The midstation made it easy to get out of the area, but the chairs near the Yunomine mid station only run on weekends anyway..... I'm wondering if they actually plan to shut the area down, or upgrade it with another chair.
    It's a good area when it's crowded elsewhere.

N-o-z and Ramenman like this.
  3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I read a master plan of Nozawa Onsen several years ago. The master plan already mentioned the new gondola won't have the mid-station. What I remember is,

The durability / lifespan of the lifts and gondola at Nozawa Onsen is 30 - 35 years and most lifts and gondola will become 30 years old in 2020. So firstly, they'll renew the gondola in 2020 - 2021 season. They are planning to renew the other lifts by 2025. The master plan says the number of gondola + lifts at Nozawa Onsen is 21 as of 2015(really?. Some were not running or already removed, I guess), and after they finish renewing all the lifts, the number will become 16 or 17. Each lift line will become longer and each lift will become faster. They say the lift layout will become better than now. But, it's just an old master plan I read in 2015 or 2016. Not sure what they are actually planning now.

N-o-z likes this.
  4. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Sorry can't help. you .

5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

It looks like we are getting RFID gates this season ......Thank god , no more having to get a 3 day pass on your season ticket (hopefully)

N-o-z likes this.
  6. N-o-z

N-o-z First Runs

Do you still have a copy of the old masterplan? It would be good to see it

7. N-o-z

N-o-z First Runs

Great news!