New Guthries Chairlift

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
She put that post up at almost the same time this thread was started, so she either had information that hasn't been publicly released OR she was just making an educated guess to pad out the media release.

I have a few contacts in the broader lift industry and it appears no one knows anything solid at this stage, as Blyton haven't said anything more to anyone.

. . --oo0oo-- . .

Just because there is no where else to put it and people interested in chairlifts may be interested...

One of the last surviving chairlifts built by McCallum Engineering closed on 1 July when Caribbean Gardens park in eastern Melbourne closed permanently. They operated a double chairlift built in 1969. McCallum was the largest Australian ski lift manufacturer and built a couple of dozen T-bars and chairlifts in the 1960s and 70s.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Thinks it will have a bit of the lift at Cooma Airport in its DNA.
don't think they would start with a brand spanker . !
Old CPV era perhaps.
Breathing new life into the olde joint , new brand , new target markets I feel it would be nice n shiny new.
just my punter thoughts.
as sargent schultz used to say ..... ;)

Reactions: Bogong

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@nfip I don't think you are going to build a new lift with all new gear for $3m, hence why I'm thinking some recycling going on. If not the Comma spare parts, maybe something salvaged from Selwyn?

“This chairlift represents an investment of close to three million dollars by the Blyton Group and is another key component of our 10-year Masterplan which is currently underway” said Kevin Blyton, Chairman of Charlotte Pass Snow Resort.

Reactions: nfip

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
The only Merritts parts this chairlift could feasibly use are the haul rope, drive and the first two towers (all of which were from 2002 when Merritts was refurbished). Add in the carriers from the Baw Baw lift and you've almost got yourself a chairlift.

For comparison in regards to price, the Leichhardt Quad at Perisher, which is a similar length and vertical, cost 4.2 million (including snowmaking).

Reactions: nfip and Bogong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Reactions: Jonathan_P

Gottathink

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2017
Looks like the old poma is gone!

Attachments

• 91EACABC-B04B-4069-B058-EF09AC3AF35D.jpeg
    91EACABC-B04B-4069-B058-EF09AC3AF35D.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: currawong

Gottathink

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2017
Oh well! the little one perfected the jump last year, he's sure to make the most of it this year then

(and I'm sure you mean 2021)

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
‘Double chair’? Are they still an option?
Yeah. Triple chairs are still available too, although you don't really see either built in Australia these days. Theyre mostly built in the US. The last Doppelmayr double built in Australia wouldve been the Lydia chair at Buller in the early 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Pomas are awesome. France is full of em. Really steep ones too. Hafta do a CP day this year it seems and bid farewell. Good news about the chair tho. Should get em a few more days of operation when that side of the hill is skiable but the boulder field not quite covered I'd imagine, yeah?

Reactions: teleroo and nezumi

kiter

One of Us
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Is there a "new Stilwell lift "thread wasnt this part of the new deal ? I dont remember anything about a Guthries chair or RFID system ????

Alleve

One of Us
Jun 17, 2019
Southern Sydney
Is there a "new Stilwell lift "thread wasnt this part of the new deal ? I dont remember anything about a Guthries chair or RFID system ????
RFID gates come first, then Guthries double chair, then lift up Stilwell. We have no information about the proposed Stilwell lift other than that it is going to point towards Stilwell, it's planned to be a surface lift, and it won't go all the way up.

jrr

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
RFID gates come first, then Guthries double chair, then lift up Stilwell. We have no information about the proposed Stilwell lift other than that it is going to point towards Stilwell, it's planned to be a surface lift, and it won't go all the way up.
Actually I wonder if it's what would be the old Guthrie poma??? Not that the Guthrie poma is very reliable, but if you are taking it down, maybe it makes sense to refurb it and use it for the Stillwell lift.
Certainly minimises the transport costs...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass