New JAL Baggage Rules??

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I was just chekcing the JAL website regarding total max allowable weight of checked luggage and it seems to have changed from last time I travelled with them (last February).

If I am reading the (new) rules correctly (clicky here for the direct link), economy passengers can take up to 46 kg (maximum 2 bags with a maximum of 23 kg per bag). So that's seems pretty generous.

BUT....if I am reading this correctly, maximum length of any one piece of baggage cannot exceed 120 cm. OR total linear dimensions cannot exceed 203 cms.

Last time I traveled with JAL in February 2011, their baggage rules were different (I know because I saved the relevant page as a pdf, just in case I had trouble at check-in with my ski bag.) These baggage rules included provision of ski equipment as part of the free baggage check-in provided it didn't exceed 20 kgs.

So I'm a little confused as to whether I can take a ski bag on or not?

Does anyone have any RECENT experience taking ski bag with JAL?

I'll call their office and ask them, but interested to hear what people's experience might be.

Last edited by a moderator:

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Lucky you posted it! I didn't read it as "total linear dimension', so good reminder. Not sure as on their website there is no "winter sports equipment ", just " surfboards or windsurfs "...
frown.gif
Premium Economy /
Economy class Piece:2pieces
Weight:Each piece must not weigh more than 23kg (50lbs.).
Size:
The total linear dimensions
for each piece of baggage shall not exceed 203 cm(80 in.) derived by adding the height, width and length.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Hmmmm
More investigation required.

I'd be pretty annoyed if they banned snowboard bags. It would be silly to do so as much of their business on the Aussie routes in winter are skiers and boarders.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Upon reading thre link you posted, it certainly does appear that JAL are looking to drum up additional revenue by essentially charging excess for large baggage now.

My snowboard bag would be well over the 203cm aggregate dimension stated.

Annoying as I am flying JAL in Feb.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
The weight allowance is very generous. But reading further down their webpage on baggage rules and conditions, this is what it has to say about oversize pieces:

.....If your baggage is oversized or overweight, it may not be accepted on our flights because the space in cargo compartment is limited. Please consult withJAL International reservation or your travel agency in advance if you are carrying the followings.
Items that exceed 120cm (47 in.) (*) or total linear dimensions exceeding 203cm (80 in.).
Items that weigh more than 32kg (70 lbs.)......

So which is it?? 120 cm OR total linear dimensions of 203 cm???

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I've tried to call them but their office is closed. It appears it opens from 11 for some reason, will try again. Will be mightily pissed off if they charge me additional $150 for excess baggage!!

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
sara, I've just done the same. Their offices are in Sydney BUt their calls are taken in Hong Kong (3 hours difference with AEST)

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Oh god! Hope we will hear something positive! Will post later on again when I manage to contact them.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Appreciate if you could post how your call goes guys.
I'll be mighty pissed as well if excess baggage payment is required!!

Cheers.

Note, see hat I have highlighted below from their page relating to sports equipment.

Surfboards and Windsurfing Equipment Charge
Charges for each carry bag will be assessed according to the route.

Excess Baggage Charge
(*)Applicable charges in USD will be converted to local currency for the case of departure from countries other than Japan.
Japan, Asia, India, Oceania⇔Hawaii, North/Central/South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa
Per carry bag 15,000yen(150USD)
Japan⇔Asia, Guam, Oceania
Per carry bag 10,000yen(100USD)
Japan Domestic(in case CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE(INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS BAGGAGE) applied)
Per carry bag 5,000yen(50USD)(*1)

(*1)Consumption tax excluded

Note: Maximum of 2 surfboards per each carry bag.
(*)If your surfboard or windsurfing equipment exceeds 120cm (100cm if the aircraft is 737) in length, please consult withJAL International reservation or your travel agency in advance.
(*)Other sports equipments will be handled as normal baggage.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My daughter left yesterday for Europe on Etihad, who have exactly the same bagage guidelines. Her bag was longer than 120cms, but shallow, so fitted into the overall 203cms. she had no problems.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
It will probably depend on the person on the check in desk. If they follow the rules, You (and I in Jan) will get the 10,000yen charge, but sometimes they are pretty good and let it go. My bag leaving Melbourne last year was a little over weight, and she told me that I might get charged with any connecting flights but she didn't charge me herself.

I think my bag is right on the limit of 203 but is obviously over the 120 so i'll just have to wait and see.

The idea is not excess fee's but more controlling the limited passenger cargo space. If 100's of people brought massive bags, they wouldn't fit everything in.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Well I think as long as you come in under the 203cm there probably wont be too much of a biggy.
Interesting that they mention surf gear but not ski gear.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
That may be a problem.
We'll have to wait and see what the guys calling JAL come back with.

Frustrating as in classic Japanese style there are contradicitons and inconsistencies in the website information due to the over complex nature it has been written.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Just rang them. Very frustrating phone call
mrbang.gif
mrbang.gif
First she said: " Ski bag will be taken as a normal bag provided it doesn't exceed 23 kgs." Then, when I read from their website, she goes " oh, if you bag is 170 cm, plus width and depth, it will be an excess of $100 US. "
I've mentioned that lots of people are flying from Aus to Japan with skiing equipment, and that the allowance is now actually worse than it used to be provided the overall size restriction. She said they changed rules this year, and asked if I can make the bag " smaller or thinner ". Yes, if I break my skis
frown.gif
Ok, I think it will be up to the good will of the check - in folks
frown.gif

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Ya just never know. Thats why we pay for parking long term @ airport & if we get knocked back for size or weight, I just do a dash back to the car and leave it. Going to Niseko via HK last year with cathay pacific from Bris , the people next to us had a snowboard bag and they wanted $500 eachway under new rules (due to weight, 2 boards + gear inside) They negotiated it down to $300 return because the rule change was very recent. They weighed all our carry-on too. We just took out bootbags on as carry-on & hired demo skis.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Damn.
I have a 167cm double board bag that will go over based on that phone call because it has additional breadth and height.
I have a 157cm board so I reckon if I get a padded sleeve and put my boots & bindings in a suitcase and pack light I might squeeze past the restriction.

I have never had an issue before with JAL, Qnatas or J*.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Smartass
laugh.gif

I'm trying to work out if +120cm puts you oer by default in their blurb or whether you can use that 203cm limit. In which case a board sleeve will do.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
seekingpow said:
Smartass
laugh.gif

I'm trying to work out if +120cm puts you oer by default in their blurb or whether you can use that 203cm limit. In which case a board sleeve will do.
That's the question I put to the JAL representative.....she's checking for me as I type!
I reckon my wheelie ski bag would get very close to the overall 203 cms limit. The problem is the width of it. And I don't have it handy to check right now.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
OK, after some time on hold I got the following reply....

if the length of the ski bag exceeds 120 cms then they need to contact head office to see if they approve of the oversize piece. Of course, the total linear dimensions cannot exceed 203 cm. They wanted the actual size of the ski bag as well. I made up some dimensions as I don't have the bag on hand. She said it would take 1 or 2 days to get back to me. Hmmm

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Tonester said:

if the length of the ski bag exceeds 120 cms then they need to contact head office to see if they approve of the oversize piece. Of course, the total linear dimensions cannot exceed 203 cm. They wanted the actual size of the ski bag as well. I made up some dimensions as I don't have the bag on hand. She said it would take 1 or 2 days to get back to me. Hmmm

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
That is so frustratingly Japanese
laugh.gif

I'm amazed that actually cannot tell their customers this off the bat. Wouldn't be the first time the question has been asked considering the amount of aussie skiers and boarders they get.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Should be an interesting check in, lines of skiers/boarders all lining up with potentialy excess baggage, while the poor checkin clerk contacts head office for every passenger
laugh.gif

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
seekingpow said:
laugh.gif

I'm amazed that actually cannot tell their customers this off the bat. Wouldn't be the first time the question has been asked considering the amount of aussie skiers and boarders they get.

I don't reckon aussie skiers are really their core business...but yes, silly nevertheless.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Apresski said:
Should be an interesting check in, lines of skiers/boarders all lining up with potentialy excess baggage, while the poor checkin clerk contacts head office for every passenger
laugh.gif

I think it's got to be done in advance of the travel date. Not sure if head office will give approval though...wait and see.
Should have booked Qantas.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Sounds too stupid to even consider.
Surely they must realise that a large segment of their market in winter is Australian riders.

It does not sound like a workable policy. All ski bags except for young kids will be over 120cm.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Tonester said:
Apresski said:
laugh.gif

I think it's got to be done in advance of the travel date. Not sure if head office will give approval though...wait and see.

I flew JAL 2 years ago and had no dramas.
No other airline I have flown have such a rigid policy.

This is very shortsighted on JAL's part and plays into Qantas' hands.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I bet you guys have no dramas..
Also as a % of international travellers skiiers would be tiny % ...
however domestic would be much larger...

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Their website policy is very contradictory.

They have published excess baggage details for surf boards and wind surfers but state if equipment length exceeds 120cm, then customers must call international bookings prior to departure.

I assume this is the process that Tonester is now going through with head office that preapproval must be given.

How many surfboards have you seen under 120cms? WTF?

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
skidown said:
Tonester said:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My JAL lady did not mention this to me over the phone!!!
mrbang.gif
mrbang.gif
stuff them, I pack it as I pack it, sure they are not going to make an issue at the airport!!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
I would be emailing them, so you have proof via their reply

A name of a person on the phone doesn't work well........................................

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
seekingpow said:
Their website policy is very contradictory.

They have published excess baggage details for surf boards and wind surfers but state if equipment length exceeds 120cm, then customers must call international bookings prior to departure.

I assume this is the process that Tonester is now going through with head office that preapproval must be given.

How many surfboards have you seen under 120cms? WTF?

Exactly, WTF. Ok, so they ban me from boarding a plane? Even if they charge me excess baggage? I highly doubt it.

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
seekingpow said:
Tonester said:
Apresski said:
laugh.gif

well Qantas is worse

Total dimensions for each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
seekingpow said:
laugh.gif

Indeed!

It reminds me of Air Canada's policy!

"
We invite you to pre-register your sports equipment at least 24 hours before your flight by contacting Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent.

Please note, however, that pre-registering sports equipment does not guarantee that Air Canada will be able to accommodate each item on your flight(s). Please reconfirm with the airport check-in agent at time of check-in."

You had to request approval for skis as well, if you don't they may say that they don't have room for them on the day... But that is mainly as they would rather fill the hold with freight and more lucrative $$$$
wink.gif

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Mercyrx3 said:
seekingpow said:
Tonester said:
Apresski said:
laugh.gif

well Qantas is worse

Total dimensions for each piece must not exceed 158cm (62in). Dimensions for checked baggage are calculated by adding together the width, height and depth of the piece of baggage.

Well I flew Qantas last year with a double board bag no questions asked.
Sara, I'd be asking for pre-approval of the bag if that's their thing and getting it in writing. That's what I'll be doing. I'll wait to see how Tonestar goes with his head office 'permission' first.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Mercyrx3 said:
seekingpow said:
Tonester said:
Apresski said:
laugh.gif

well Qantas is worse

Nope they are not

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/sporting-equipment/global/en

Skis/Boards are fine and there are no restrictions on length, but they must be in a ski bag...

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I've rang them again, same old same old. She will contact the head office and ring me back
mrbang.gif

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
PS: I doubt that every " snow " traveller will do this. Should be interesting at the airport if they are dead serious!

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Leaving Australia I wouldn't worry as they would use contracted staff, probably Qantas...

I'd be more worried leaving Japan when they have their own staff, following the rules....

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
skidown said:
Leaving Australia I wouldn't worry as they would use contracted staff, probably Qantas...

I'd be more worried leaving Japan when they have their own staff, following the rules....
i've travelled with 30 kegs on jal before outta Narita...no worries
I swear you have to be a noodle packing to attract the ire of check in staff.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Donza said:
skidown said:

Yes, me to 2x before, but this is a new rule, I think she said from this year April or August. I am sure it will be ok, can't imagine the chaos and panic if they followed the rule very strictly...

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
sara777 said:
Donza said:
skidown said:

Yes, me to 2x before, but this is a new rule, I think she said from this year April or August. I am sure it will be ok, can't imagine the chaos and panic if they followed the rule very strictly...
reading here
http://www.luggageguides.com/articles/26...e-and-more.html

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
I don't understand this sentence as the grammar is not great:

From Donza's Link:
"Each passenger may check in up to three pieces of baggage, provided each does not exceed 50cm x 60cm x 120cm. Besides, ski equipment, golf bag and fishing equipment may not be accepted for aircraft type Q83, Q84, F50 and A320 because of bulk space."

I'm on a Boeing 777 which is a large aircraft. I'll just call them and go through the head office process.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
203cm is a cubic
in other words its
length times width times thickness.
so lengh
1.85 x ..30 x .28 (thats my bag)
which is a cubic of 155cm

Mercyrx3