New JAL Baggage Rules??

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
So going by their guideline that would put your bag well over.

I was looking at ANA and they have identical rules on this dimension but there seems to be some flexibility as this baseline value is set because of smaller planes so for long haul international they may be more flexible.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Doesn't appear that you can contact JAL via email from their website. All contacts are phones. No call from the " head office " yet
shocked.gif
As I said, if they don't ring back, I will try and pack my bags well and just go with the flow...

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
sara777 said:
Doesn't appear that you can contact JAL via email from their website. All contacts are phones. No call from the " head office " yet
shocked.gif
As I said, if they don't ring back, I will try and pack my bags well and just go with the flow...

you might try the plastic wrapping skis at the airport ($10) and doubling your ski bag over and plastic wrapping($10)
But I really don't think you'll have a problem
Especially if you're only checking one piece

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Epic fail for JAL's customer service and their staff training of policy. I would have expected more from JAL.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
If I you dont leave car at the airport, have a back up like I can put a ski bag in a cab & send it to someone who lives close to the airport . Never had to do it yet fingers crossed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Olddognewtricks said:
If I you dont leave car at the airport, have a back up like I can put a ski bag in a cab & send it to someone who lives close to the airport . Never had to do it yet fingers crossed.

I always carry a fresh roll of gaffer tape..true

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I always take essentials only, nothing to be send back... leaving car at the airport is not an option and wrapping my lovely BC skis in plastic wrapping outside of my bag
eek.gif
The airline shouldn't make it that hard, really.. It is sort of epic fail, but since it's a new policy, maybe we are all freaking out over nothing. Will definitely report on my adventure!

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
From this it looks as though it's going to cost US$150

Type of Excess Excess Baggage Charge
(*)Applicable charges in USD will be converted to local currency for the case of departure from countries other than Japan.
Japan, Asia, India, Oceania⇔Hawaii, North/Central/South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa
Extra piece (per piece) 15,000yen(150USD)
Overweight (per piece) more than 23kg ~ 32kg or under:6,000yen(60USD)
more than 32kg ~ 45kg or under:45,000yen(450USD)
Oversize (per piece, total linear dimensions) exceed 203cm:15,000yen(150USD)
Japan⇔Asia, Guam, Oceania
Extra piece (per piece) 10,000yen(100USD)
Overweight (per piece) more than 23kg ~ 32kg or under:6,000yen(60USD)
more than 32kg ~ 45kg or under:30,000yen(300USD)
Oversize (per piece, total linear dimensions) exceed 203cm:10,000yen(100USD)
Japan Domestic(in case CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE(INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS BAGGAGE) applied)
Extra piece (per piece) 5,000yen(50USD)(*1)
Overweight (per piece) more than 23kg ~ 32kg or under:1,000yen(10USD)(*1)
more than 32kg ~ 45kg or under:15,000yen(150USD)(*1)
Oversize (per piece, total linear dimensions) exceed 203cm:5,000yen(50USD)(*1)

(*1)Consumption tax excluded

* Note: Maximum checked baggage per passenger is +7 pieces on top of free baggage allowance of each boarding class. For Manila route, maximum of 5 pieces per

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
The logical progression for excess would be as Donza says HxWxL ie volume
It is bizarre that I can take a suitcase 90x90x25 with a volume of @.3cubicmetre and yet they will charge $150 for my dakine roller with a volume of @ .15 cubic metre

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
No I think it would only be $100 usd each way (Japan - Oceana).

Just measured my bag loaded. 160x30x15=205cm

Worth risking or get a single board bag (less height)? current is a double.

Can't believe I'm having to do this for JAL!

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
I'm off on Feb 4 mate.

Thinking about getting a single board sleeve and putting the boots & bindings in second bag. Would come in under 203 cm that way.

Double board wheeler is almost cactus anyway.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
OK Japow team, an update......

Just got a call from JAL (I am guessing it was from their call centre in HK) giving me approval to take my ski bag with me. I asked for confirmation of that in writing. That should come shortly via email (will confirm when it arrives).

What a stupidly convoluted process. Next time I'm going with QANTAS.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that for those travelling with JAL you should not assume that your (oversize) ski luggage will get on or be without charge. Ring them and get the OK before you travel.

I will be interested to hear of people's experiences with or without this approval.

scalymanfish

A Local
Dec 8, 2010
I doubt anyone will have a problem unless your bag is well over 20kgs or over 200cm. Then again, I travel light and check in only one bag.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Out of interest tonester, what were the aggregate dimensions of your bag you gave them. Curious if you were over 203cm

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
Tonester said:

Just got a call from JAL (I am guessing it was from their call centre in HK) giving me approval to take my ski bag with me. I asked for confirmation of that in writing. That should come shortly via email (will confirm when it arrives).

Anyway, the moral of the story is that for those travelling with JAL you should not assume that your (oversize) ski luggage will get on or be without charge. Ring them and get the OK before you travel.

I will be interested to hear of people's experiences with or without this approval.

it does seem like a stupid process however be aware that when you fly Qantas you get 23kg total, not per piece (unless flying to and from the America's)

that is the main reason I went with JAL

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
scalymanfish said:
I doubt anyone will have a problem unless your bag is well over 20kgs or over 200cm. Then again, I travel light and check in only one bag.

Actually you get 23 kgs x 2 pieces allowance with JAL

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
seekingpow said:
Out of interest tonester, what were the aggregate dimensions of your bag you gave them. Curious if you were over 203cm

I made the dimensions up on the fly while I was on the phone to them. I just made sure the dimensions totaled 203 cms. The dims I gave them over the phone were 180cm x 17cm x 6cm. Total = 203 cms. Not realistic thickness, I know, but just wanted to see what their response was.

I'm pretty sure my wheelie bag, that I prefer to travel with OS, will exceed the max linear dimensions of 203. If so, then my back up plan is to pack skis and stocks in a soft ski bag. I'll bubble wrap the skis and stocks. The rest of the stuff I'll pack in a regular suitcase. And travel with a back pack. Not sure If I'll take my boots on as hand luggage, then put them in the regular suitcase once I get to Narita.

It's a first-world problem, I know, but really, it shouldn't be this hard.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I got no call back so far. I gave them my real dimensions - 170 + 30 + 15 = 215. 12 cms over. See what happens! If I am having any hassles, will not fly with them next time
frown.gif
Then with Qantas, you have to pay $20 for advanced seat. Just paid $80 for my mums return London flight. Could get a seat when check in for free, but then you might end up in the middle. Well, as long as I can afford to travel, all is good in the world...

D

d15812

Tonester said:

Curious as to why you would bother getting written approval? You gave them very specific measurements of a bag that doesn't exist, knowing that your actual bag is bigger.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
skidown said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2p5svFJ9cQ

laugh.gif

Yep, this thread is so first-world problem. Bloody hell, we're spending a shit load to go OS to ski and we're whinging about having to possibly pay an extra couple of hundred dollars. Now I'm embarrassed.
blush.gif

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I am not, I work very hard to earn my money and enjoy life
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
spaceman347 said:
Tonester said:

Curious as to why you would bother getting written approval? You gave them very specific measurements of a bag that doesn't exist, knowing that your actual bag is bigger.

The bag's in storage and I didn't want to wait until I could get to it. The point was to see if I'd get approval of a bag that is over the 120 cm length limit but complies with the aggregate dimension limit of 203 cms. And if that bag does exceed the limits then I wont take it, I'll go to plan B.
I wanted written approval in case I had problems (either here or at Narita) at check-in.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
I'm about to ring customer service and give them my bag dimensions and ask if it's cool.

My bag dimensions are 205cm total so 2cm over. I doubt they have a problem with it especially if I gaffer tape it too.

As I said yesterday, ANA have almost identical bag dimension rules. ANA on their website give additional detail and give maximum luggage legth details based on the plane so I think 120cm length or 203 total is the bottom standard benchmark as it applies to smaller aircraft. In my case flying out of Sydney, I'll be on a Boeing 777 which are one of their largest fleet aircraft.

I'll ring to be on the safe side though.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Tonester said:
Chase the buggers!

No, I am not going to. I rang them twice yesterday, got different answers, gave them my booking ref number and dimensions and that's that. I am not going to chase an airline that I paid full fee to and tried to enquire about baggage allowance repeatedly. Many people who are going there with skis / boards don't even know this. I can't imagine they will be turning people off at the airport if the dimensions are 20 cms over. Charging the excess fees is the most I can see happening. If they try something silly, I'll deal with it then.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
Just spoke to them. Same as you Tonester.

No mention on the 120cm barrier, just said 2 peices of checkin luggage allowed, 23kg and 203 cm each.

Just gaffer tape the gear and all should be well.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
sara777 said:
Tonester said:
Chase the buggers!

No, I am not going to. I rang them twice yesterday, got different answers, gave them my booking ref number and dimensions and that's that. I am not going to chase an airline that I paid full fee to and tried to enquire about baggage allowance repeatedly. Many people who are going there with skis / boards don't even know this. I can't imagine they will be turning people off at the airport if the dimensions are 20 cms over. Charging the excess fees is the most I can see happening. If they try something silly, I'll deal with it then.

It's still a rort first world problem or not
I actually heard an item on ABC Grandstand not long ago about pole vaulters having trouble checking their poles .
I don't think planes are getting any smaller.
NB My massive child stroller/jogger rides for free.

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
I rang them in august before I booked my flights and the lady said a ski bag exceeding the maximum dimensions would just count as a normal bag. So i won't be charged any extra. If they try to charge me I will not go down without a fight. Highly doubt it will be an issue but we'll see.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Mark102 said:
I rang them in august before I booked my flights and the lady said a ski bag exceeding the maximum dimensions would just count as a normal bag. So i won't be charged any extra. If they try to charge me I will not go down without a fight. Highly doubt it will be an issue but we'll see.

laugh.gif
Same here, I am ready for a fight!

Judging by the different responses I've had ( from JAL ppl ), I feel they don't know themselves what exactly is going on when presented with ski gear.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
After speaking to them today I am confident there will be no probs.
As long as your bag is in the ballpark by looking at it no one is going to whip out a measuring tape!

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
sara777 said:
Tonester, when are you leaving?
sara777 said:
Tonester, when are you leaving?
17th January. I have nice beach holiday planned for the week before.
smile.gif

Ahhh, first world problems eh?

skinnyjim

One of Us
May 4, 2010
Tonester said:
scalymanfish said:

Actually you get 23 kgs x 2 pieces allowance with JAL
Really? That's heaps.

skinnyjim

One of Us
May 4, 2010
seekingpow said:
After speaking to them today I am confident there will be no probs.
As long as your bag is in the ballpark by looking at it no one is going to whip out a measuring tape!
I've actually seen Jal staff with a measuring tape. They measured my bag. Then 3 of them had a little chat.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Tonester said:
What a stupidly convoluted process. Next time I'm going with QANTAS

Lol. I was just listening to a year in review where Joyce announced the grounding of all Qantas planes everywhere. Not sure I would be going back to them anytime soon.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
Just bumping this thread to see how others have faired from their trip to and return from Japan. Looked at my old bag and it is over, even if I buy a sleeve for my 164 Machete the thing hits 208, 5cm over.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Charles said:
Just bumping this thread to see how others have faired from their trip to and return from Japan. Looked at my old bag and it is over, even if I buy a sleeve for my 164 Machete the thing hits 208, 5cm over.

Will let you know in 11 sleeps

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
We shall see tomorrow. I've got small wheelie bag about 13 kgs and 180 + 30 + 20 cms ski bag. Since I didn't have the " head office " call back, they can deal with me at the airport! I'm ready
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass