New JAL Baggage Rules??

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
sara777 said:
We shall see tomorrow. I've got small wheelie bag about 13 kgs and 180 + 30 + 20 cms ski bag. Since I didn't have the " head office " call back, they can deal with me at the airport! I'm ready
smile.gif
sara777 said:
We shall see tomorrow. I've got small wheelie bag about 13 kgs and 180 + 30 + 20 cms ski bag. Since I didn't have the " head office " call back, they can deal with me at the airport! I'm ready
smile.gif

Go you!

Last edited by a moderator:

nickmaaaate

First Runs
Dec 7, 2011
Turns out i'm flying with JAL now, and not sure if I might pick up some cheap twinnies & boots whilst over there... since apparently it will cost me $250 to take them on the domestic flights & flight home, which is pretty homo

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
sara777 said:
smile.gif

Enjoy your trip Sara!
Please let us know how you get on with your bags
biggrin.gif

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
seekingpow said:
sara777 said:
smile.gif

Enjoy your trip Sara!
Please let us know how you get on with your bags
biggrin.gif

Give 'em hell Sara. And enjoy the japow!

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
Sitting in Narita right now, having checked in a bag of 186cm skis, stuffed with clothing, around 22kg for the flight to Chitose. JAL just smiled and took it.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
So far so good ah. If they took a ski bag at 23kg & @186cm I'm happy. I will be sniffing around in US to buy 2 sets of skis & dble ski bag & flying home qantas.
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nickmaaaate

First Runs
Dec 7, 2011
Olgreg said:
Sitting in Narita right now, having checked in a bag of 186cm skis, stuffed with clothing, around 22kg for the flight to Chitose. JAL just smiled and took it.

thank you based god

Chuck Norris

One of Us
Aug 28, 2004
Newcastle
Anyone know how this works when just the domestic leg is jal? Flying qantas to Tokyo and jal to Sapporo. Would hate to get stitched up on the domestic leg. Assuming we'll need to re-check bags at narita even though it's all part of the same ticket.

nickmaaaate

First Runs
Dec 7, 2011
Chuck Norris said:
Anyone know how this works when just the domestic leg is jal? Flying qantas to Tokyo and jal to Sapporo. Would hate to get stitched up on the domestic leg. Assuming we'll need to re-check bags at narita even though it's all part of the same ticket.

for oversize luggage on a domestic flight it's a $50 fee, roughly

although apparently ski bags will be OK as regular luggage

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
Chuck Norris said:

I think you normally get international baggage rules when it is a connection on an international ticket

Olgreg

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 21, 2011
Dolans Bay
That's what happened for me. JAL's domestic flights have a 20 kg limit but Qantas weighed and tagged my 23 kg bag in Sydney and the JAL staff just put it through no problems

Mark102

A Local
Jul 5, 2002
Victor Harbor & Adelaide
I got stung! I was nice about it and pushed it up the chain as far as i could but they didn't budge. Pretty standard for Japanese check in staff from what I have experienced. Make sure you get it in writing or documented on your booking. I rang them to confirm it was ok 'before' I purchased the ticket so there is no record of it.

FYI. My ski bag is a big one though. 2m long as my skis are 192cm. Shorter bags may be ok. They basically measured the length and then the depth of it (not the width though) so you may get lucky with a 180cm bag...

Toto Warmlet

One of Us
Sep 2, 2003
IMG_9865.jpg

The JJJ took my luggage away
They took it from me, they took it from me
The JJJ took my luggage away
They took it away from me.

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
Mark102 said:
I got stung! I was nice about it and pushed it up the chain as far as i could but they didn't budge. Pretty standard for Japanese check in staff from what I have experienced. Make sure you get it in writing or documented on your booking. I rang them to confirm it was ok 'before' I purchased the ticket so there is no record of it.

FYI. My ski bag is a big one though. 2m long as my skis are 192cm. Shorter bags may be ok. They basically measured the length and then the depth of it (not the width though) so you may get lucky with a 180cm bag...

how much?

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
You'd think It would be good to tie up market share of the flying Alpine market. An idea may be to send off a trigger to Richard branson to encourage skiers/boarders to fly V-australia/virgin worldwide by allowing & confirming you can take 200cm bags weighing up to 23kg . Need someone high up in the alpine community to get on it. Hint....hint...... . Then advertise it on here......hint....hint
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ODNT

Part of the Furniture
Jul 28, 2010
I mean majority of skiers/boarders are fit & not overweight , so fuel difference shouldnt be an issue, propably be a saving. you could at least allocate so many alpine tix per plane to test the theory to start.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
I have contacted JAL and given them my snowboard measurements in detail, they will get back to me and let me know if it is OK. I don't really know what that means but will see. 168cm x 38 x 30 which is about 236 total and under 23 kg.

Myoko_Guy, what did they do you over for? Sounds harsh.

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Has anybody any experience with Skymark re ski bags etc?
We fly Skymark Haneeda to Shithousey then JAL back to Shithousey.
Could cost us a heap if they are going to sting us.Would much rather
spend that on cartons of Kirin at Physchomart.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
hotsaki said:
Has anybody any experience with Skymark re ski bags etc?
We fly Skymark Haneeda to Shithousey then JAL back to Shithousey.
Could cost us a heap if they are going to sting us.Would much rather
spend that on cartons of Kirin at Physchomart.

I think they charged me @$10 Kobe to Chitose
They are a very very nice airline

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Arrigato snow-pixie.Looking forward to some very nice Kirin to go with the very nice powder.Thinking back I have had many trips with JAL and my ski`s and have never been charged any extra.But I always keep it on 20kg to keep Jetstar happy.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Just double checked back Charles - it was actually $290. It was when I was moving to Japan for the first time and was flying business with ANA. Nobody else in my group got stung except me. I was just checking in with the wrong woman obviously.

We're flying Skymark this time in two weeks to Asahikawa. I'm not taking my board(s) - hoping to get something new up there. Might be tight on the way back - we'll see.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
The general lesson of flying to Japan is to take along baggage rule copies with you. If you don't, you're at the mercy of the checkin person..... Otherwise the other lesson is to ensure that you don't fly with a Japanese airline and get the baggage limits you need.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
True. I once got told that my limit was 40kg. After my earlier debacle I asked for a confirmation fax. No problems coming out of Japan. When I was returning out of Adelaide they jumped up and down but could do nothing once I showed them the fax.

I think my problem above was that I was young and fresh heading out to Japan with two bags. I'm sure now the woman stung me for being over economy rates and I just didn't realise then that you have extra limits for business.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
OK, I'm back now from Japow. And what a great whirlwind trip it was! So, just to report back on how it went for me, baggage-wise.

I fronted up to Sydney airport back on the 17th January. I had a backpack, a roller suitacase and a skibag with skis and stocks.

The suitcase came it a 25 kg (a slight case of overpacking, but boots do weigh in a bit). The ski bag came in at something light, like 6 or 7 kg (can't remember). Knowing the very strict interperetation of the baggage rules by JAL staff I asked if the (slightly) overweight suitacse would be a problem The checkin person said no, but it would be upon on my return from Narita, if the bag was overweight. So all went smoothly ex. Sydney.

Just to side track a bit, in the past I have packed EVERYTHING into a wheelie ski bag...boots, skis, clothes, etc and carried a back pack. It ended up being very heavy and cumbersome to lug around the trains and metro in Japan. So, this time, having a roller suitacase and a relatively light ski bag was actually easier to move around with. so, there's a lesson learned for the future.

Returning home I made sure that (a) I had printed off and had on hand the special permission from JAL saying I was allowed to checkin a ski bag (roll eyes) and (b) I re-distributed the weight of my bags so that neither exceeded the max. 23 kgs. That was all good. But, because I stuffed more things into my ski bag, it made the ski bag fill out and its total linear dimensions exceeded the max. allowable dimensions as per JAL baggage rules. They had a tape-measuring-guy at Narita last night measuring up my bag. It was 180x 20x 18, which exceeds the 203 cms allowed. I asked if it was a problem, as I was ready to shift things around to make the bag fit within the max dimensions. Surprisingly, I was told it was all OK. I was hit with overweight baggage in the past at Naria so this came as a total surprise. I don't know why they didn't charge me. They are usually very efficient at following the rules.

Anyway, that's my story. It was all good in the end.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
I think I should be alright, it is a standard board bag at 168 and under 23 kg with everything in. The only issue is coming back with all that Royce chocolate and mochi that could bring it over the 23
smile.gif

Will let you know on how I go when I head up to Tokyo this Thursday.

seekingpow

One of Us
Dec 19, 2008
Sydney
JAL an qantas checkin just tried to sting my mate and I with our 156cm board bags at Sydney airport. Thu wanted to charge on the spot.
After disarming the agitated checkin dude he got a tape measure on our request and measure the bags. 2cm over and a queue behind us they waved us through.

I said I spoke to call centre and forewarned I had oversize which tipped waving through in our favour.

Their method isn't particularly scientific. Call ahead is my advice.

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
From Hanada airport they said my 168 was fine and they were very nice, very chatty and all was good. Total of this bag is about 236 cm linearage. Not sure if that is a word. Was under 22 kg and I did ring ahead. Will let you know how things go flying back.

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
My Bag got measured at Narita on Saturday. I started to worry because I know it's a little bit over. (probably 4 or 5cm) Then when he handed a note to the check in girl after consulting his little chart, I though I was being Charged for sure! Thankfully she just smiled and gave me my boarding passed and wished me a pleasant flight!

Charles

Addicted
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2006
Adelaide
The girl was standing next to my board and referencing that the bag was taller, I said get me another assistance with her shoes on. She giggled and all was good. The girls behind the desk were taking their time but then I realised that on the plane, I got a great seat with fantastic leg room and she was just making sure everything was OK with all the passes. The food on JAL was so so but one of the girls managed to get me icecream from first class which was cool. Under 22kg I don't think I have to worry, some of the bags though I saw at the airport were just huge, wonder how they went.

My bag in length was 168.

ogre

First Runs
Apr 21, 2012
skinnyjim said:
seekingpow said:
After speaking to them today I am confident there will be no probs.
As long as your bag is in the ballpark by looking at it no one is going to whip out a measuring tape!
I've actually seen Jal staff with a measuring tape. They measured my bag. Then 3 of them had a little chat.

I thought I would resurect this yet again, having just returned from a trip where 'would our ski bag be OK?' was a question we were unable to resolve and had to head off being unsure what would happen.

And yes, they did get out a measuring tape. Our ski bag was 180x32x18cm, so defintitely over the size, but under 23kg...well almost exactly 23kg.

Three times they check the bag 3 times(Sydney, Narita, Chitose), measuring it in Sydney and it seems also at Narita but not bothering at Chitose.

At all locations the weight was checked and the bag was allowed without any oversize baggage charge being suggested.

In reallity with 170cm skis, even withouit a bag around them a pair of skis is extremely close to the limit if not over so it is just as well they do not police the rules strictly.

In Sydney the ski bag was measured and it was declared it was OK as it was under the lenght limit of 203cm. It seems the total lenght rule was not what was understood by check in staff. In Narita they took the bag away to check it but gave no explanation as to why they then decided it was OK. At Chitose weigh was checked only.

So it is clear that the acttual rule for ski bags is not the published rule. It has been mentioned on here that a bag over 2.00m is defintiely out and of course over weight is a problem, but in between this and the official guide it is unclear what will happen. But frome experieance a bag like ours passed 3 time of three tries.

shnilly

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2011
Interesting. Im off to Japan next Jan for 4 weeks. I'm about to buy a pair of Kung Fujas @ 189cm as its cheaper to buy them than rent them (ive got a deal for 2012 model at $500 with bindings). I was quite worried as the last time I went I hired - Looking at the allowance i might get stung as the bags definitiedly over the 203 mark. Im with Qantas for the bug legs and then JAL for the domestic part to Chitose, By the looks of things its simply pot luck! Fingers crossed hey!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using